PDA

View Full Version : Buy a 17" powerbook now or wait?? Help.


aggro
Aug 14, 2003, 09:58 PM
OK, well, this is my first post here, nice baord, seems very helpful, I'm glad to be a member here and am looking forward to contributing to the community.

With that being said... I am in the market for a powerbook, I have my eyes on the 17" Superdrive, top of the line, but i don't want to spend $3500.00 only to find out a week later that the G5 books are out. I took it up the tailpipe on a G3 that way and i was rather upset, to say the least.

Now I know that Apple doesn't say crap about when they are releasing new systems, but has ANYONE heard absolutely ANYTHING AT ALL about when the G5 powerbooks will be out?

I need to know whether to buy now or wait, and when I will have to wait until.

Thanks for all your help people,
Sincerely,

agg

hugemullens
Aug 14, 2003, 10:21 PM
I wouldnt count on a g5 powerbook till atleast january, with it not shipping till march. and thats the earliest. i wouldnt be suprised to see it go much longer than that. xServe's dont even have g5's, i think they will long before the pb, so buy away, maybe wait till next week to get a better g4, but dont hold your breath for a g5.

iDave
Aug 14, 2003, 11:22 PM
I'm in the same boat; wondering how long to wait. I think it's unlikely that there will be a G5 PowerBook before spring, however there will very likely be a rev B of the 17" model before too long. I'll likely get a rev B and not wait for the G5, particularly if there's a slight bump in the screen resolution; another thing I'm hoping for before buying.

cb911
Aug 15, 2003, 02:10 AM
don't tell me you've missed all the rumors about next Tuesday?!! :eek:

You've got wait atleast till then, but if you're waiting for a G5 PowerBook I wouldn't hope to see it before the end of the year. Although this is Apple we're talking about, we could be pleasantly surprised... i'd give a G5 PB about a 5% chance of appearing before the end of the year.

iDave
Aug 15, 2003, 08:49 AM
I've heard those rumors, which could be true. I'm working on a decision based on typical Apple upgrade cycles. Since it has been many months since the 17" AlBook was introduced, it's logical to expect some kind of upgrade soon. It doesn't sound like mobile G5 chips are ready. If Apple were to jam a regular G5 in a PowerBook now it would draw a lot of power and be hot. Right now, the G4 7457 sounds better but what do I know.

Hopefully we'll have more information next week or if not, on September 16 at the Paris expo.

cb911
Aug 15, 2003, 05:58 PM
sorry iDave, i didn't mean to say that to you, that reply was meant for Mr Aggro. :p

also, don't forget that Apple has said that "G5's won't be in the powerbooks anytime soon".