PDA

View Full Version : Get the next PowerBook or wait for new iBook?

LEaf
Aug 14, 2003, 10:26 PM
Hi. I'm interested in getting a notebook for surfing, emailing, and doing some school work such as report writing, presentations, etc.

I find the iBook much more affordable. The PowerBook is more costly compared to Wintel notebooks (moreover some of my more serious school work is not available on the Mac platform).

Therefore, I've almost decided on getting the next iBook. But I'm also worried that the next iBook will remain as G3 and that it will not come out before November.

Can you guys give me some advice on this?

Thanks.

Doctor Q
Aug 14, 2003, 11:08 PM
If you want guesses about Apple's plans, this is the right web site. We don't know what the future holds, but there are plenty of educated guesses here.

For what you have in mind, an iBook sounds just fine. Why spend extra for a PowerBook? It won't be your last Mac ever, so get what you need and save the money for something else.

Are you planning to use PC emulation software for the "serious school work not available on the Mac platform"?

LEaf
Aug 15, 2003, 12:26 AM
Yup, I'm thinking of an iBook too.

I'm not considering the use of PC emulation software. I have reached the conclusion that a Mac is more suitable for enjoyment (gaming not included), a PC is more suitable for work. Using a PC emulation software often brings about unforseen problems, and spoils the user experience of using a Mac.

So, when do you think the new iBook will be out? Early October? G3? I wish it comes out sooner.

Cheers.

Abstract
Aug 15, 2003, 10:02 AM
I'm going to get myself a new iBook as well when they're released. The problem is that I don't know what software I'll need, and I don't know how my Mac will handle the network at the university I'll be attending in Australia. If it doesn't work, I'm screwed. This is why I was considering a Windows laptop, but I can't really find one I like more than the ibook. I'll get the iBook anyway, but I may end up regretting it in 6 months.

PS: Unlike some others around here, I'm the type of person who doesn't mind WinXP whatsoever. ;)

CmdrLaForge
Aug 15, 2003, 10:12 AM
Hi,

looking on your apps you would be really glad with the current iBook 900Mhz.

Why waiting ? It could be November but it could be next February as well. By that time you just get frustrated by waiting so long. And in the end the current model would fit your purposes. Just get the RAM max out.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

tom.96
Aug 15, 2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Abstract
I'm going to get myself a new iBook as well when they're released. The problem is that I don't know what software I'll need, and I don't know how my Mac will handle the network at the university I'll be attending in Australia. If it doesn't work, I'm screwed.

(slightly off topic) I had the same concern when I took my iMac to uni in England. IT services did not support Macs in any way, but they put me in contact with someone who is good on Macs. Turned out all i had to do was type in a couple of things, change a couple of things on my screen and it worked fine. I find that in these academic institutions there is a pretty heavy concentration of mac fans. I even started advising people myself who wanted to set up macs! This was on OS9 tho but I assume X will be fine too.

On topic - the ibook looks like a fantastic machine, I have nearly bought one many times. The current range is good, fine for websurfing etc. If I had to buy a portable now, I'd go for the ibook over a powerbook.

Abstract
Aug 15, 2003, 11:18 AM
Type in some things? What would you have to type in? :confused:

Anyway, my biggest concern is that once I fly halfway around the world to Australia, the support for my new iBook may not be there, and so I would be out of luck.

The problem is that if you ask the school questions about Macs, they won't know the answer. They couldn't even answer a very specific question about one of their residences. :o

Of course, I'll still get the iBook. ;)

bennetsaysargh
Aug 15, 2003, 03:03 PM
the iBooks will most likly stay G3 untill the powerbooks go G5.

ThomasJefferson
Aug 17, 2003, 09:09 AM
"surfing, emailing, and doing some school work such as report writing, presentations, etc."

I do all of these things on an iBook 600 with no problems.

I went with the iBook for price and durability. As a teacher, I take my ibook to school and use Keynote almost everyday. This is the best and most productive computer I have ever owned.

Just don't expect to use photoshop without some compromises in wait-time.

debohun
Dec 27, 2005, 10:53 AM
I have just discovered a stinky problem with the purchase of an Apple G3 iBook. From what I have been able to research online, the smell, remarkably like a sweaty fat man sitting next to you on the bus, emanates from the keyboard and is apparently the result of poorly fabricated plastics. The smell is absolutely embarrassing; I was smelling my own shirt and shoes for an hour before I figured out it was coming from my new (used) computer. As Americans demand cheaper and cheaper products, I suppose it is to be expected that foreign factories will skimp on the quality of products for the American market. It is however disappointing to see companies like Apple and Motorola (with their reportedly smelly RAZR phones), historically bastions of quality, distributing such products--and not properly recalling and fixing the problem. Apparently, at one time Apple had a tech info article on the problem, but it has since been removed. Now, there is no mention of the problem, or of a solution, on Apple's website. I haven't been able to discover a good solution myself either, although one Internet poster suggested placing an dryer freshener sheet under the removable keyboard. I haven't yet discovered whether this works or not. In the meantime, I would discourage anyone from buying a used Apple G3 iBook, unless you are planning to use it outside, in a strong wind. Does anyone know if the current Apple laptop models are still experiencing this problem? My old Pismo Powerbook smelled perfectly neutral right up until it died two weeks ago. This newer machine is a disappointment.

kingcrowing
Dec 27, 2005, 11:04 AM
this thread is over 2 years old!!! where did it come from?? I think someone has too much free time searching through old pages :p

mkrishnan
Dec 27, 2005, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know if the current Apple laptop models are still experiencing this problem?

My iBook G4 keyboard doesn't smell....

FWIW, usually smelly plastics have nothing to do with low cost manufacturing. They have to do with poor process control of curing parameters, AFAIK. It can happen at a plant in a developed country almost as easily as at a plant in a developing country. :( But the quality process did not have the adequate safeguards in place if the product was allowed to ship.

Do you know if your keyboard was replaced recently? It is a little surprising that the smell persists for this long...you'd think that eventually everything that could outgas would do so, and it would stop smelling.

jmufellow
Dec 27, 2005, 11:11 AM
(moreover some of my more serious school work is not available on the Mac platform).
This is a weird thread. Seems like everyone is talking about their own world and not discussing anything:confused:

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend an iBook, they are great machines for the said tasks. But what serious stuff are you talking about that the mac cannot do? Just wondering.

jmufellow
Dec 27, 2005, 11:13 AM
this thread is over 2 years old!!! where did it come from?? I think someone has too much free time searching through old pages :p
Ohhhhhhhh!! Now that makes sense. It might be beneficial to look at the date of the original post every now and then :o LOL

That would explain why people were talking in terms of MHz and G3. Oh well.

sw1tcher
Dec 27, 2005, 02:49 PM
Damn. An old thread brought back from the dead.