PDA

View Full Version : This just in: iPod "classic" and iPod "touch" are terrible names

shoelessone
Sep 7, 2007, 11:35 AM
Anybody else agree?

For the record, I really could care less, I'm certainly not complaining, I'm very excited about the entire new lineup.

That said, the name "iPod classic" seems especially bad and non-appleish. Seems like they should have stuck with "iPod" and "iPod touch". "iPod touch" isn't as bad as the "classic", but even it seems a bit too much like a marketing catch phrase.

Thoughts? Was anybody else honestly surprised by Apple's new "iPod classic" name?

cmonster
Sep 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
I disagree I thin they are good names and fitting for the product line. What other names do you suggest?

storage
Sep 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
For some reason I actually like the name "iPod classic". I don't know why. I'm however not that fond of the name "iPod touch".

atari1356
Sep 7, 2007, 11:40 AM
the name "iPod classic" seems especially bad and non-appleish

Actually, it seems very "Appleish" to me... considering they once had a "Macintosh Classic".

shoelessone
Sep 7, 2007, 11:41 AM
I disagree I thin they are good names and fitting for the product line. What other names do you suggest?

First, for the record, I want to state (again) that I for one am thrilled with everything apple did yesterday, all of their ipods are perfect (for me). I'm not COMPLAINING at all :).

That said, I think something more "modern" might have worked better. As I said before, leaving the iPod "iPod" and calling the iPod touch "iPod touch" would have been enough of a seperation for me personally.

j/k/Andy
Sep 7, 2007, 11:57 AM
Anybody else agree?

Thoughts? Was anybody else honestly surprised by Apple's new "iPod classic" name?

agreed, all terrible names lately - Macbook/Mac "Pro", Mighty Mouse, Airport

Markleshark
Sep 7, 2007, 11:58 AM
Actually, I'm loving the names. Especially the 'classic' because well, thats what it is.

flying dog
Sep 7, 2007, 01:13 PM
The "Classic" name brings up bad memories... a workaround to use old programs and a Mac model that hung around for a while at the low end of the market. Anything that sounds old should probably not be used to name electronics. It's like a name for a sports car that translates into "slow" or something.

Osarkon
Sep 7, 2007, 01:27 PM
I don't know, iPod 'classic' kind of makes me think it's already old in some way. :o

Heey, maybe that's what they planned, so that more people buy the iPod Touch because it sounds newer.

And if they didn't call it the iPod Touch, what on earth were they supposed to call it? :p

PlaceofDis
Sep 7, 2007, 01:29 PM
Anybody else agree?

For the record, I really could care less, I'm certainly not complaining, I'm very excited about the entire new lineup.

so you care a lot, huh?

and i disagree, i think they work exceptionally well. they couldn't keep it at just 'iPod' anymore since if you said that "i have an iPod" people would ask you which one and would just cause confusion.

shoelessone
Sep 7, 2007, 01:35 PM
so you care a lot, huh?

and i disagree, i think they work exceptionally well. they couldn't keep it at just 'iPod' anymore since if you said that "i have an iPod" people would ask you which one and would just cause confusion.

while I might agree, do you really see yourself saying, "oh yeah, I just picked up an iPod CLASSIC at the apple store"?

Maybe you would, but I probagly wouldnt. I'd say, "iPod Nano", or, "one of those fancy new touch screen iPods" or "a 160gb iPod".

Anyway, I of course understand the need for some sort of further classifications, but "classic" (as somebody mentioned above) makes me feel like I'm buying an older, "classic" electronic, instead of a sweet ultra hip new Apple product :)

Enterprise8875
Sep 7, 2007, 01:39 PM
I couldn't disagree more; I think they are amazing names. Classic tells people right away that its the original iPod plus it has that Coca-Cola Classic like nostalgia factor. And iPod Touch tells us what it is a touch iPod.

What would you rather have them called? iPod Original and iPod big screen?

mcdj
Sep 7, 2007, 01:51 PM
IMO Touch is classic, and Classic is a nice touch. :)

synth3tik
Sep 7, 2007, 01:52 PM
Sure beats the name "Macbook"

rdowns
Sep 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
Anybody else agree?

No. I told you the agreeable thing wouldn't last long. :p

That said, the name "iPod classic" seems especially bad and non-appleish. Seems like they should have stuck with "iPod" and "iPod touch". "iPod touch" isn't as bad as the "classic", but even it seems a bit too much like a marketing catch phrase.

I like the classic name. Reminds me of the Mac Classic (the first under $1000 Macintosh) and Color Classic- machines I sold a boat load of in my previous life as a reseller.

You new switchers have no sense of Apple history. :cool:

nl2134
Sep 7, 2007, 01:59 PM
yeah Darn.

Should've named it iPod Bigger and iPod Wider........:(

milo
Sep 7, 2007, 02:06 PM
I think they're fine. They get the point across without trying to be hip or wacky.

shoelessone
Sep 7, 2007, 02:16 PM
No. I told you the agreeable thing wouldn't last long. :p

I like the classic name. Reminds me of the Mac Classic (the first under $1000 Macintosh) and Color Classic- machines I sold a boat load of in my previous life as a reseller.

You new switchers have no sense of Apple history. :cool:

whatever! When I was in 5th grade (I'm 22 now, so.. whenever that was :)) I programmed on an Apple IIe. My first home computer in my bedroom (6th grade) was an Apple - I think and Apple Quadra or something of the sort.

I think "classic", I think "classical music", or "classic cars", or "oh, those old _____ you are wearing are classic", etc.

But you WERE right, the agreeable thing didn't last ;)

BII
Sep 7, 2007, 02:36 PM
I think they're fine. They get the point across without trying to be hip or wacky.

exactly, it does what good marketing does, clearly and effeciently tells you what the product is. In two words, you know exactly what's in the box.

iPod = music player

classic = the most familiar form factor, and a form factor which hasn't changed fundimentally in 6 years.

touch = the one with the touch screen

jczubach
Sep 7, 2007, 02:46 PM
I personally would like to see an ipod "Hal" that warns you of you impending doom...

Shorties
Sep 7, 2007, 05:46 PM
For some reason I actually like the name "iPod classic". I don't know why. I'm however not that fond of the name "iPod touch".

Touching is good

Bern
Sep 7, 2007, 06:31 PM
To me "iPod Classic" also says it's the original and best mp3 player and everyone else just copied it therefore it's a classic. I don't mind that name at all. I think "iPod Touch" is a little too obvious. Perhaps just call it "iPod" as it effectively replaces the "classic" one, but I suppose in the future that's probably Apple's intention.

homeboy
Sep 7, 2007, 06:41 PM
I think the iPod classic is kind of dull. If they want to stick to that name, why not just call the iPod Touch simply iPod.

d_and_n5000
Sep 7, 2007, 06:51 PM
agreed, all terrible names lately - Macbook/Mac "Pro", Mighty Mouse, Airport

:confused:Airport's not exactly a new name—they've been using it since 1999.

Anywho, I don't really mind them. The only thing that bugs me is that I think that 'iPod touch' sounds a little, i don't know...unprofessional.

Although I suppose that I can't come up with anything better :o so its good enough.

Nabooly
Sep 7, 2007, 06:58 PM
Classic is horrible. Why not just keep the iPod video name? I mean ipods have been around for only about 6 or 7 years, not enough time for something to become "classic" :S

mark476p
Sep 7, 2007, 07:15 PM
iPod Tiger

storage
Sep 7, 2007, 07:31 PM
Classic is horrible. Why not just keep the iPod video name? I mean ipods have been around for only about 6 or 7 years, not enough time for something to become "classic" :S
The iPod was never named "iPod video", it was simply called "iPod".

Wiktionary defines "classic" as "A perfect and/or early example of a particular style.", which I think fits the model perfectly.

zap2
Sep 7, 2007, 08:00 PM
Touch sounds good...classic...meh, shuffle and nano are better.

I'd rate it at

nano
shuffle/Touch
mini
photo
classic

psychofreak
Sep 7, 2007, 08:02 PM
Touch sounds good...classic...meh, shuffle and nano are better.

I'd rate it at

nano
shuffle/Touch
mini
photo
classic
The best name ever was 'iPod' :)

It would be too awkward to have with this line-up though...

Nabooly
Sep 7, 2007, 08:14 PM
The iPod was never named "iPod video", it was simply called "iPod".

Wiktionary defines "classic" as "A perfect and/or early example of a particular style.", which I think fits the model perfectly.

Ok then just keep "iPod" then! :p No need of the classic or anything else!

Project
Sep 7, 2007, 08:40 PM
Its just a descriptive differentiator at the moment.

I am sure they will drop the Touch and it will eventually just be called the iPod. Just like they did with iPod Photo. It highlighted a specific feature and when that became the norm, it became just the iPod.

thespazz
Sep 7, 2007, 09:28 PM
the classic is classic because it will be phased out in a year.

period.

MattG
Sep 7, 2007, 09:42 PM
"Classic" sucks. It implies that it's antiquated.

Slayerboym88
Sep 7, 2007, 10:39 PM
"Classic" sucks. It implies that it's antiquated.

I completely disagree. Classic, to me, implies that it is the one that got the whole iPod ball rolling. That said, I believe that Apple was just officiating the de facto name that that model iPod has assumed anyway. As someone else mentioned, when you say, "oh yeah, i've got an iPod," the first thing that the other person will say is "oh yeah, which model?" Now that the name is official, you can now say "the Classic" without people needing to think longer than 1/2 a second about it.

iCantwait
Sep 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
i LOVE the new name and line up
:apple::D:apple::D:apple::D:apple: