PDA

View Full Version : HD Radio: iTunes 'Tagging' Feature Announced

MacRumors
Sep 7, 2007, 02:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A press release (http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/CLTH16106092007-1.htm) reveals details about a new free service called "iTunes Tagging" that will be incorporated into HD Radio receivers. A new "tag" button will allow listeners to tag songs that they like to be purchased later in Apple's iTunes.
"iTunes tagging takes music discovery on the radio to the next level," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod Product Marketing. "When a song plays on your HD Radio that you like, a simple push of a button will tag it and later give you the chance to preview, purchase, and enjoy it with iTunes and your iPod."

The tagging button will be available on HD radios made by Harman International Industries Inc's JBL unit and Polk Audio, recently purchased by Directed Electronics Inc..

This feature was predicted Vnunet (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/03/apple-to-unveil-new-flash-based-ipods-digital-radio/) but incorrectly rumored to be a feature of the new iPods.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/07/hd-radio-itunes-tagging-feature-announced/)

elcid
Sep 7, 2007, 02:26 PM
Would have been nice to get in the Touch, but I'm not complaining :D

PharmD
Sep 7, 2007, 02:29 PM
Cool for those that have HD radio.

Craiger
HD radio is such a silly idea and name! They should have teamed with Sirius/XM.

edit for silly spelling error.

DMann
Would have been nice to get in the Touch, but I'm not complaining :D

Just might make it into next revision, depending on perceived demand....

Jerry Spoon
Sep 7, 2007, 02:31 PM
HD radio is such a silly idea and name! They should have teemed with sirius/XM.

I wish they had done that too. As a Sirius subscriber, I'd use that feature, but HD radio doesn't hold any interest to me.

Squonk
Sep 7, 2007, 02:31 PM
When I get HD radio in my car, I could possibly using this. So, how in the heck do you link your car to your iTunes account to enable this, I wonder? Is the selection sent back to the HD radio station and then to your account at :apple:? Fascinating.

And you just KNOW that the HD radio station will make a profit for the referral just like web radio stations. This enables the HD stations to better compete with their net counterparts.

Dagless
Sep 7, 2007, 02:41 PM
What on earth is HD Radio? High Definition? Don't they mean higher bitrate? Is it going to compete against DAB? Why so many questions?

mainstreetmark
Sep 7, 2007, 02:43 PM
Apple recently is starting to feel less like a company that makes cool stuff I want to buy and more like a company who constantly tries to sell me stuff I don't want(Starbucks songs, the dreaded DMCA ringtones...)

It reminds me of my last two cellphones, where the "main" button immediately directed me to some Cingular website with "great offers". Annoying. I liked the cellphone almost immediately due to the lack of in-your-face buy-me-nows.

powderblue17
Sep 7, 2007, 02:43 PM

What's silly is paying for the Sirius/XM crap. Maybe if you could choose what stations you wanted and only pay for those then satelite radio would work but as long as it's all or nothing there is no way I would ever get it.

jecapaga
Sep 7, 2007, 02:44 PM
I wish they had done that too. As a Sirius subscriber, I'd use that feature, but HD radio doesn't hold any interest to me.

Sirius subscriber here too and unfortunately I can't stand the awful quality. Whatever audio compression they use totally sucks. HD radio I haven't heard but I might check it out if it's better than the barely better than AM radio Sirius quality.

Unspeaked
Sep 7, 2007, 02:50 PM
Wasn't there a product like this that Belkin or Griffin or someone made that worked with regular AM/FM radio and would report what the artist/song that you're listening to was so you could buy it later?

Or did I just dream that?

hooch
Sep 7, 2007, 02:55 PM
I have said it for and I will say it again. I want an FM tuner in my iPod and I don't care what form it comes in. The reason why is because that is how I find songs I want to buy to download. How else are you going to find the new music? Now, it would be so much better if you can tag a song you are listening to so you can download that song later. How fricken cool would that be? On top of that, I can listen to morning talk shows.

Taylor C
Sep 7, 2007, 03:03 PM
This sounds really cool.

JoeG4
Sep 7, 2007, 03:14 PM
Years and years ago, there was a company that you'd sign up for, and they'd send you this little device (it wasn't SOny, Sony ripped off this company!). Oh yeah, they called it eTag, I think. It was essentially a timestamp recorder, you'd just hit the button whenever you heard a song you thought was interesting, and when you plugged it into your computer it'd ask you which radio station you were listening to (or if you only had 1 in your list, it wouldn't), and bam there's what you were listening to.

Very simple feature. The problem was that it cost the radio stations money to provide the service (the tag devices were free), and they dumped it after about a year.

Too bad, I loved that.

Craiger
Sep 7, 2007, 03:17 PM
What's silly is paying for the Sirius/XM crap. Maybe if you could choose what stations you wanted and only pay for those then satelite radio would work but as long as it's all or nothing there is no way I would ever get it.

As long as the Sirius/XM merger goes though, this is exactly what you will be able to do.

http://www.siriusmerger.com/site/page/a_la_carte/

sishaw
Sep 7, 2007, 03:17 PM
HD radio is not "high definition," it's just a way radio stations can include more than one channel in their broadcasts. For example, the HD version of one of my local public radio stations is all bluegrass, all day. In general, I've heard very mixed reviews of actual HD content.

Craiger
Sep 7, 2007, 03:21 PM
As far as I know, it is just digital radio which means you get tons more bandwidth which enables them to fit more channels in the same spectrum (depending on their compression). The same concept as digital TV.

Feel free to correct I am not an expert...

DTphonehome
Sep 7, 2007, 03:29 PM

Absolutely...HD Radio is too little, too late. They were forced to go digital in the face of sat radio. I love how their commercials call HD Radio "the revolution". Sorry guys, you missed the revolution, that was sat radio.

Anyhow, this announcement should benefit the dozens of people who actually have HD Radios.

Hairball
Sep 7, 2007, 03:31 PM

Agreed. Satellite (preferably Sirius) is the way to go.

joemama
Sep 7, 2007, 03:34 PM
What's a radio?

Seriously though, it would make sense if it beamed the info to your ipod for later download - or immediate download with the wi-fi store. Otherwise, just a waste.

DTphonehome
Sep 7, 2007, 03:49 PM

I agree a la carte pricing would be awesome, but if you don't have sat radio you don't know what you're missing. It's changed how I listen to music, and what I listen to. Totally worth the monthly fee.

alywa
Sep 7, 2007, 03:49 PM

You obviously don't live out in the sticks. FM sucks here... you get X-tian, country, classic rock (pretty much the same 100 songs over and over), crappy hip-hop, and angry talk radio. Oh, and some sports.

If you want to hear anything contemporary, good jazz, blues, etc, satellite radio is the only way to go.

I have a big iTunes collection (6000 + songs), but I love to hear new stuff. XM has great channels that allow me to hear new music, plus I don't have to be constantly fiddling with my iPod / playlists / etc.

We have XM in both cars (30 minute commute each way), and I could never do without it.

Doctor Q
Sep 7, 2007, 04:07 PM
Notice the connection with the Starbucks deal?

Wherever you are, when you hear music Apple wants you to have an easy way to buy it from iTunes.

Look for BUY NOW buttons on your car's dashboard, in the elevator where you listen to the piped-in music, on your supermarket shopping cart as they play background music in the store, and so on.

Mgkwho
Sep 7, 2007, 05:10 PM
Wow!

That is neat-o.

Actually I think this is a great thing that can lead to even more integration with radio...I just wish it were included in iPods!

-=|Mgkwho

offwidafairies
Sep 7, 2007, 06:01 PM
Wow!

That is neat-o.

Actually I think this is a great thing that can lead to even more integration with radio...I just wish it were included in iPods!

-=|Mgkwho

totally agreed bring on ipod radio!

Analog Kid
Sep 7, 2007, 06:52 PM
I have said it for and I will say it again. I want an FM tuner in my iPod and I don't care what form it comes in.
Doesn't Apple still make the Tuner/Remote? (Just noticed that it seems to work with the Classic, but not the Touch...)
As far as I know, it is just digital radio which means you get tons more bandwidth which enables them to fit more channels in the same spectrum (depending on their compression). The same concept as digital TV.

Feel free to correct I am not an expert...
Sorry to be a stickler here, but bandwidth is a measure of spectrum, not channels. Digitizing a signal and then transmitting takes more bandwidth than the analog signal, but it can be bought back with good compression.

irun5k
Sep 7, 2007, 07:24 PM
Lots of announcements about new ways for us to find and buy music from the iTMS lately... That is cool and everything, it isn't like anyone has to use this stuff.

However it is a little ironic that the first official new application that has been announced by Apple for the iPhone is the WiFi iTMS thingy. I'd much rather get some apps that help me get more use out of the phone WITHOUT spending more money... perhaps some games, iChat, etc. (things that are so obviously missing from 1.0)

Analog Kid
Sep 7, 2007, 07:49 PM
Has anyone figured out how this is all supposed to work? I get the button on the radio bit, but where does it go from there? This seems like a really strange idea, being tied to a one way system like broadcast radio.

Better would be Bluetooth to the iPod/iPhone (and yes, I know iPod doesn't have BT which is half my point here) where you hit a button and the song gets downloaded as soon as a connection can be established with the iTMS.

Craiger
Sep 7, 2007, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=Sorry to be a stickler here, but bandwidth is a measure of spectrum, not channels. Digitizing a signal and then transmitting takes more bandwidth than the analog signal, but it can be bought back with good compression.[/QUOTE]

Hey no problem, you saw my disclaimer at the bottom. Now I know. Thanks.

twoodcc
Sep 8, 2007, 07:18 AM
Cool for those that have HD radio.

I agree. I dont have it though, and probably never will

dummptyhummpty
Sep 8, 2007, 01:07 PM
Too bad HD radio is a bad idea. I agree they should have set this up with XM/Sirius.

I have XM radio in my car and while the quality could be better, it's nice to have very little commercials (except on Kiss CM) and coverage almost every where. Not to mention the wide musical selection.

I purchased an HD reciver for my mom's car (they had a deal with the iPod adapter I bought her, where it was free after a rebate) and while my car was in the shop for a week, I took the time to test it out. They claim that HD radio is nice because you don't get any static and the truth is it actually does sound better. The problem is, if your getting static you probably don't have enough reception to get the HD signal. It seemed that it very rarely picked up the HD signal and I live on the outskirts of LA. Also you still have to put up with the non stop commercials and limited musical selection.

I do like how my new Pioneer XM unit has a memo button. I guess that's a step forward.

Bad move apple.

DJRizzo
Sep 8, 2007, 05:20 PM
Curious about how it works. Perhaps in tandem with the Starbucks - Touch/iTunes technology? Makes sense and probably could be implemented with the Touch right away.

It's a good idea for radio because assuming it requires the iPod to be in the car then they have a gimmick to get you to listen to the radio instead of your iPod. That's a big deal because the terrestrial radio industry definitely feels a pinch from listener supplied music - it started with CD's quality & ease of use, is now a big factor due to iPods/MP3 players, and also a little bit with satellite, too.

papadopolis1024
Sep 8, 2007, 07:03 PM
What on earth is HD Radio? High Definition? Don't they mean higher bitrate? Is it going to compete against DAB? Why so many questions?

HD stands for Hybrid Digital but you have to have a radio that will play it... And on FM radio it will make the sound quality around CD level and AM radio at FM quality.

cwerdna
Sep 8, 2007, 11:17 PM
http://www.hdradio.com/

Traditional AM and FM broadcasts aren't digital, they're analog, so there's no "bitrate".

The concept of the announced feature is somewhat similar to the ill-fated Sony eMarker. I had one of those and kinda liked it. You set your location and favorite radio stations on their web site. You'd press a button on the device when you heard a song that you liked on the radio. It'd basically keep track of the date and time stamp. When you plugged it into your PC, it'd sync over and tell you what songs were on the radio in your area at that time (favorite stations listed first).

Too bad Sony axed it. Fortunately, they gave everyone a refund for sending their eMarker back. I actually made a small profit (was ~$20 for the device, got $24 IIRC for sending it back).

Ha ze
Sep 9, 2007, 07:55 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but it's about the starbucks deal.

I know the deal is "exclusive" but imagine if this were a new technology Apple was going to market to businesses? You walk into anystore they are playing music and have this to Wifi iTunes Store Broadcast, now when your in the Apple Store, Starbucks, Macy's, ect. you can buy what your hearing and sync it back later.

so not only can they sell the songs, they can sell the equipment to businesses that want to be "iPod/iPhone compatible." As a hair salon owner I think it would be a cool feature to offer guests.

Doctor Q
Sep 10, 2007, 03:27 PM
so not only can they sell the songs, they can sell the equipment to businesses that want to be "iPod/iPhone compatible." As a hair salon owner I think it would be a cool feature to offer guests.There's another advantage to this. It would give businesses a new incentive to play music we like!

majordude
Sep 10, 2007, 03:34 PM
HD radio I haven't heard but I might check it out if it's better than the barely better than AM radio Sirius quality.

HD AM is supposed to sound like FM and HD FM is supposed to sound like a CD.

http://www.hdradio.com/what_is_hd_digital_radio.php

It is digital.

And because it is digital they can split their allocated wavelength into different channels... so one old AM station can have multiple "sidebands" for lack of a better term.

Mountain/\Ash
Sep 10, 2009, 08:08 AM
Did you see that this is now built into the new (released today) Nano?

http://www.apple.com/itunes/tagging/

That's pretty cool.

sishaw
Sep 10, 2009, 08:41 AM

It is not High Definition, although that is an understandable confusion. Originally, it was said to mean "hybrid digital" or "home digital." Now they say it doesn't mean anything, it's just a name.

One wonders if they chose the initials "HD" for the very reason that people would assume it means "High Definition."

At any rate, while this is an interesting feature in general, HD radio in my area exclusively consists of rebroadcasts of regular radio and music I'm personally not interested in. HD radio allows the use of extra channels, but the extra channels are generally in my area at least being wasted.