PDA

View Full Version : 'The Beat Goes On' Rumor Wrapup: Winners

MacRumors
Sep 7, 2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

After each major event, MacRumors provides a wrapup of rumors to reveal the sources of the most accurate (or inaccurate) information.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/09/05/ipods20070905_300.jpg

On September 5th, Apple held a media event which introduced a number of new products and services. These included the iPod Shuffle (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/new-ipod-story-1/), iPod Nano (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/new-ipod-story-2/), iPod Classic (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/new-ipod-story-3/), iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/announced-at-apple-september-5-special-event/), WiFi iTunes (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/itunes-wifi-music-store-announced-one-more-thing/), iTunes with Ringtone Support (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/new-itunes-released/), Apple/Starbucks Partnership (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/apple-announces-starbucks-partnership/), 8GB iPhone Price Drop (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/8gb-iphone-price-drop-4gb-iphone-discontinued/).

While watching the keynote, what was striking was how many of the rumors surrouding the event were true. Our Rumor Roundup (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/04/the-beat-goes-on-rumor-roundup/) touched on many of the announcements with reasonable accuracy.

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/07/the-beat-goes-on-rumor-wrapup-winners/)

NOV
Sep 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
I predicted the iPod Yellow Submarine. I guess I failed.

:)

AdMan2007
Sep 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
9to5mac surprised everyone, including me. I would say their sources are by far the most accurate, at least this last round anyway. I mean really, a PSD file screenshot? That's from someone well commected in the chain of all things Apple.

nismo
Sep 7, 2007, 02:49 PM
9to5 mac was dead on with the nanos but ever since the first video iPod came out I envisioned as well many of you I believe a full screen touch iPod. It only makes sense.:D

Squonk
Sep 7, 2007, 02:50 PM
:apple: legal SHOULD request some of the fake mock-ups to be removed to keep us all guessing as long as they don't raise the prices to pay for this! :D

Unspeaked
Sep 7, 2007, 02:52 PM
9to5mac is totally THE site to beat for Mac rumors at the moment.

Their recent predicitions have been uncanny; they certainly have someone on the inside!

tkidBOSTON
Sep 7, 2007, 02:53 PM
Itd be interesting to see wraps done by source rather than by rumor, to see the hits and misses of different information providers.

Just a thought.

KindredMAC
Sep 7, 2007, 02:57 PM
I was totally shocked at how accurate the rumors were even going only 2 days prior to the event. The fact that the iPod touch's name was even accurate!!!!!

Holy Crow! Apple's got some loose lips over in Cupertino.

What happened to the good old days of totally false rumors being pumped up and people believing only to find out how totally wrong they were???? Examples: iHome, original iMac G5 elevator shots, crumpled up photo of the white Power Mac G5...

I kind of miss those days of the whole "bait 'n switch"!

marco114
Sep 7, 2007, 03:03 PM
Arn: You keep great notes and I'm constantly impressed how in-depth your Rumor Roundups are. Great work as usual. (However, I do like to be surprised now and then, but it's too hard to stay away from here ) :)

:( I can't decide which iPod to buy.

SirOmega
Sep 7, 2007, 03:06 PM
First, nice roundup arn. I really like these "reviews".

I'm also surprised how much info leaked out of Apple with this release. I wouldnt be surprised if Apple's internal security folks start pushing harder to find leakers. I'm sure Steve doesn't like mockups and UI videos online weeks before a product launch.

I suppose the next stop on the Apple Product Express is Leopard in October/November.

jamespa66
I predicted the iPod Yellow Submarine. I guess I failed.

:)

Maybe when the Beatles hit itunes? I won't discount your prediction yet.

hackand
Actually, the "mockup" of the iPod touch (link (http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/09/02/4p9bzpc_300.png)) is actually a picture of the final product.

If you compare it to an official pic, you'll notice it's the exact same thing. So it's not really a mockup, it was a blatant leak.

Squonk
Sep 7, 2007, 03:07 PM
:( I can't decide which iPod to buy.

It's not like the good old days of "I want an iPod" anymore. Now it's more like "I need a nano for running, a touch or an iPhone depending on your cell phone needs, and I gotta have the 160GB to carry all your music and photo's with you at all times." YIKES :eek:

sartinsauce
Sep 7, 2007, 03:08 PM
You know, like most people, I thought that photo of the 5 nanos was a fake. In fact, I even thought it was a fake after Apple Legal requested it's removal. I just figured they were smoking out their leaks.

I wanna go back to some of those threads and see how many people were screaming "Fake!" or "Worst Photoshop job I've ever seen!"

Peace
Sep 7, 2007, 03:11 PM
This part from the USA Today interview with Jobs caught my eye :

"Q: Many people already have Beatles music on CDs. Will they really buy it online if they already own it?

A: I do expect them to, yes. That's been the case with other music, as well.

I own every Bob Dylan album ever, but I buy a lot of it on iTunes, because I guess I'm just too lazy to rip it from the CD."

Jobs actually "buys" music from iTunes?

iShak
Sep 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
9to5mac were absolutely spot on with their predictions ... the best in the business at the moment in my opinion.

stompy
Sep 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
9to5mac surprised everyone, including me. I would say their sources are by far the most accurate, at least this last round anyway. I mean really, a PSD file screenshot? That's from someone well commected in the chain of all things Apple.

I was more surprised by Digitimes. They're now 3 / lifetime.

The amazing part is 3 / last 3.

nagromme
Sep 7, 2007, 03:16 PM
Congrats, 9to5mac. Now please mention an ultrathin laptop for the holidays :)

In addition, Vunet seems to have gotten it partly right with their HD radio "buy now" rumor:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/07/hd-radio-itunes-tagging-feature-announced/

C00rDiNaT0r
Sep 7, 2007, 03:20 PM
IMO Apple is doing a good job keeping secrets if it's important.

Look at companies like Sony and Microsoft... psp, ps3 and xbox360 price drops were revealed before the actual price drops, some even posted ads from circuit city. Has the same ever happened to Apple? Even just for the new iPods?

commonpeople
Sep 7, 2007, 03:20 PM
It's so great to see how posters consistently overestimate their ability to distinguish fake from real. A bit like how everyone thinks they can tell the difference between audio compression rates (they can't).

Being a skeptic doesn't mean that you call out everything as fake and phony. It sometimes means admitting you don't know and that you'd be interested in finding out.

hackand
Sep 7, 2007, 03:21 PM

Perhaps it's only one song per year, with his yearly payment.

It's easy to tell when Jobs uses a certain Apple product regularly, though. The animations on the iPod classic and nano (3G) are sometimes choppy, therefore, Jobs doesn't really use those iPods. The mini is really gathering dust among the rest of the Mac line because Jobs doesn't use it, and therefore, doesn't care about it.

Bad Paper
Sep 7, 2007, 03:22 PM
Jobs actually "buys" music from iTunes?on his salary, he can only afford to buy one song per year

DTphonehome
Sep 7, 2007, 03:27 PM
Apple has been awfully leaky as of late. I expect a major crackdown on Apple's part to discover the leaker(s) and fire them. (Not that I want them to, just that if I were Steve Jobs and wanted to keep products REALLY under wraps, that's what I'd have to do.)

Hairball
Sep 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
on his salary, he can only afford to buy one song per year

... or one ring tone of the song he purchased last year. :D

AlwaysHopeful
Sep 7, 2007, 03:29 PM
Those who were so vitriolic wrt 9to5mac mockups should be ashamed.

I have happy memories of reading 9to5macs comments stating they were right and that the doubters would have to eat their words.

Well done!!

hayesk
Sep 7, 2007, 03:36 PM
A bit like how everyone thinks they can tell the difference between audio compression rates (they can't).

I think it's more like when listening to one after another, they can tell. But if the next day you play a format for someone and ask them what it is, they probably won't be able to tell you.

Though I agree it's amusing that people cannot seem to be able to tell a real photoshop from a fake and be so arrogant about it.

Squonk
Sep 7, 2007, 03:36 PM
on his salary, he can only afford to buy one song per year

Outstanding Friday humor! I guess he really only needs the 4GB iPhone then since he can't possibly have more than 5 songs! :D:D

phlops
Sep 7, 2007, 03:37 PM
"Meanwhile, Apple's legal involvement in both of these instances reinforces the fact that they have never requested the removal of fakes or mockups."

Excuse me? Does the Apple Asteroid and the legal brou-ha-ha around that ring a bell? There have been other examples over the years though I can't remember the details of them right now. The Asteroid, however, is a stunning example of the fact that saying Apple Legal has "never" requested the removal of something that may very well have been a fake is blatantly incorrect.

Squonk
Sep 7, 2007, 03:38 PM
Excuse me? Does the Apple Asteroid and the legal brou-ha-ha around that ring a bell? There have been other examples over the years though I can't remember the details of them right now. The Asteroid, however, is a stunning example of the fact that saying Apple Legal has "never" requested the removal of something that may very well have been a fake is blatantly incorrect.

Or perhaps that device is still in the oven?

arn
Sep 7, 2007, 03:39 PM
The Asteroid, however, is a stunning example of the fact that saying Apple Legal has "never" requested the removal of something that may very well have been a fake is blatantly incorrect.

1. Asteroid information was never removed. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/04/11/23/apple_developing_firewire_audio_interface_for_garageband.html
2. It wasn't fake. Apple may have never released it, but it certainly wasn't fake. Apple took a number of sites to court to get the leaker.

There have been other examples over the years though I can't remember the details of them right now.

No, there haven't been other examples.

arn

nagromme
Sep 7, 2007, 03:39 PM

Yes, but remember he also gets one free song a year as salary.

pubius
Sep 7, 2007, 03:51 PM

Look at companies like Sony and Microsoft... psp, ps3 and xbox360 price drops were revealed before the actual price drops, some even posted ads from circuit city. Has the same ever happened to Apple? Even just for the new iPods?

I don't know about price drops, but I am sure everyone will remember the G5 page going up on the apple site the day prior to release (or was it more than a day, can't remember exactly).

DTphonehome
Sep 7, 2007, 03:52 PM
1. Asteroid information was never removed. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/04/11/23/apple_developing_firewire_audio_interface_for_garageband.html
2. It wasn't fake. Apple may have never released it, but it certainly wasn't fake. Apple took a number of sites to court to get the leaker.

No, there haven't been other examples.

arn

Pwned by arn...ouch!

bananas
Sep 7, 2007, 04:04 PM
nice to see that 9to5mac got so many things right.
they said they knew what's coming and they didn't lie

fastbite
Sep 7, 2007, 04:07 PM
9to5mac have been totally on the ball. I guess they may be the new think secret of times gone by.

Naimfan
The one thing I don't recall seeing ANY rumors about was the precise item that caused so much gnashing of teeth here--the price drop on the iPhone. Did anyone have that?

Bob

~Shard~
Hats off to 9to5mac, they seem to have been on the ball a few times now and are definitely not a fluke. I'll be giving their reports a little more serious consdieration from now on. I don't know where I'll go though if I want Mac info between the hours of 6 and 8 though... :confused:

:p ;) :D

phillipjfry
I have only been apart of the :apple: scene and news for a little under a year now, and it's interesting to see, this past year, all the events that happen and watching the rumors sites flexing their best.
the 9to5mac site is very interesting to hear from now days since they seem to be hitting the nail on the head every time(every time?)
Other sites have been pretty good about their predictions and rumors.
Now bring on the Leopard rumors! :)

Pwned by arn...ouch!

bbqpwned!

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:08 PM
The one thing I don't recall seeing ANY rumors about was the precise item that caused so much gnashing of teeth here--the price drop on the iPhone. Did anyone have that?

It was submitted to MacRumors prior to its official announcement, but I don't believe any of the major rumors sites picked it up. I could be wrong though, as there are quite a few of them out there! ;)

Naimfan
Sep 7, 2007, 04:10 PM
It was submitted to MacRumors prior to its official announcement, but I don't believe any of the major rumors sites picked it up. I could be wrong though, as there are quite a few of them out there! ;)

There's a rumor site aside from Macrumors? ;)

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:11 PM
Now bring on the Leopard rumors! :)

I don't think there is too much else to be unveiled with respect to Leopard other than its official release date. And even that isn't too hard to figure out - Jobs indicated an October relase for Leopard, which means it will be no doubt released on October 31 as 11:59pm EST. :p ;) :cool:

morphineseason
Sep 7, 2007, 04:11 PM
Actually, I would say this community indirectly predicted the iPhone price drop.

So many times when people would mention the idea of an iPod touch-like device, people would reply, "That would be commercial suicide for the iPhone," or "That would cannibalize iPhone sales," or "Why would Apple want to kill the success of the iPhone so soon?" etc. etc. As we got closer to the keynote and rumors started spreading about the iPod touch, it seems like everyone kind of forgot about how Apple would keep the iPhone hype going after releasing a device that ultimately did the same thing iPhone did, sans the phone and the (cheapest) $80 AT&T monthly plan. When you start thinking about that, one of the very few options Apple has is to lower the price of the iPhone.

Out of all the far-fetched speculation I've seen on here in the past, I'm actually surprised nobody saw it coming.

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:12 PM
There's a rumor site aside from Macrumors? ;)

Yeah, just a couple. ;)

MacRumors is of course the best and is superior to all other rumor sites. ALL HAIL MACRUMORS! ARN IS OUR LEADER!

Hmm, I'm out of Kool-aid, I'll be right back... :cool:

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:21 PM
Out of all the far-fetched speculation I've seen on here in the past, I'm actually surprised nobody saw it coming.

As I said, it was indeed submitted as a news item and discussed by a few members here (mostly pessimists who said there was no way the rumor could be true!) but you are correct, there wasn't a lot of weight to it until it was actually announced.

JeffDM
Sep 7, 2007, 04:24 PM
You know, like most people, I thought that photo of the 5 nanos was a fake. In fact, I even thought it was a fake after Apple Legal requested it's removal. I just figured they were smoking out their leaks.

I wanna go back to some of those threads and see how many people were screaming "Fake!" or "Worst Photoshop job I've ever seen!"

The leaks of the iMac keyboard photos was claimed to be fakes too, some said it was a photochop that I remember, but there weren't any telltale signs of photo fakery that I could find. I can see people claiming the nano photos to be fake, because they technically are mockups of something, maybe that nano version didn't exist when the image was originally made.

Weren't there a lot of mispredictions though? It looks like this article lists mainly the rumors that turned out to be true or partly true, not telling us all the rumors that were false.

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks Arn and Macrumors peeps for the recognition! Much appreciated from big Macrumors.com fans at 9to5mac.com

We'll keep the goods coming! But obviously on a much more subliminal level now that we are in the Apple legal cross hairs.

Good luck with that - it is not exactly an enviable position! Just keep in mind it's for the greater good... :D ;)

9to5mac's credibility has definitely been raised in my books... :cool:

JeffDM
Sep 7, 2007, 04:26 PM
:apple: legal SHOULD request some of the fake mock-ups to be removed to keep us all guessing as long as they don't raise the prices to pay for this! :D

If word got out that they were claiming ownership of images they didn't make, Apple legal would probably lose credibility.

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:28 PM
The leaks of the iMac keyboard photos was claimed to be fakes too, some said it was a photochop that I remember, but there weren't any telltale signs of photo fakery that I could find. I can see people claiming the nano photos to be fake, because they technically are mockups of something, maybe that nano version didn't exist when the image was originally made.

Yeah, you definitely have to take everything with a grain of salt and an open mind these days.

Consultant
Sep 7, 2007, 04:28 PM
Actually, I would say this community indirectly predicted the iPhone price drop.

So many times when people would mention the idea of an iPod touch-like device, people would reply, "That would be commercial suicide for the iPhone," or "That would cannibalize iPhone sales," or "Why would Apple want to kill the success of the iPhone so soon?" etc. etc. As we got closer to the keynote and rumors started spreading about the iPod touch, it seems like everyone kind of forgot about how Apple would keep the iPhone hype going after releasing a device that ultimately did the same thing iPhone did, sans the phone and the (cheapest) $80 AT&T monthly plan. When you start thinking about that, one of the very few options Apple has is to lower the price of the iPhone.

The AT&T plan including unlimited data is $60 per month. All other phones in the same class are charged $80 per month for similar items. Therefore over the life of the contract you actually save over $480 ($20 x 24 + tax) if you use the iPhone. So even at $500, it's like getting the iPhone for free...

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:29 PM
If word got out that they were claiming ownership of images they didn't make, Apple legal would probably lose credibility.

That would assume that legal departments in general have credibility to start with... :eek:

:p ;) :cool:

Consultant
Sep 7, 2007, 04:30 PM
Now the question is: which iPod should I buy...

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:36 PM
Now the question is: which iPod should I buy...

That's what I'm struggling with too. I'd love the iPod touch, as it is essentially what I've been waiting for, but the 16GB capacity is just not quite what I'd need. 32GB would be great, so I may have to hold out until next year. The iPod classic has more than enough storage space for me (I'd just run Time Machine on it and back up my entire system! :D) however it is still the old design, give or take, and I don't think I could justify buying it when I know that damn cool iPod touch is finally available. ;)

So, I'm waiting until next year. In the meantime I'll be treating myself to a new MacBook Pro, so it's all good. :cool:

morphineseason
Sep 7, 2007, 04:38 PM
The AT&T plan including unlimited data is $60 per month. All other phones in the same class are charged $80 per month for similar items. Therefore over the life of the contract you actually save over $480 ($20 x 24 + tax) if you use the iPhone. So even at $500, it's like getting the iPhone for free...

If your bill is an even $60, I'll give you a cookie ;)

The lowest plan I would be able to get is $80 after taxes and random fees, plus the $35 activation fee or whatever it is. It's way to much for me, considering I'm a part-time $7/hr. worker and a full time college student. I've also heard the edge network is almost unusable, which isn't good for me...wi-fi hotspots are pretty far from being everywhere (or at least where you need it the most, like when you're lost on a random highway).

Don't get me wrong...I want the iPhone BADLY, especially after the price drop, but it'd be cheaper in the long run to get a RZR or something similar and an iPod touch. If iPhone gets 3G soon, then I would think it'd be worth the $80..err...$60 (+taxes and hidden fees).

morphineseason
Sep 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
That's what I'm struggling with too. I'd love the iPod touch, as it is essentially what I've been waiting for, but the 16GB capacity is just not quite what I'd need. 32GB would be great, so I may have to hold out until next year. The iPod classic has more than enough storage space for me (I'd just run Time Machine on it and back up my entire system! :D) however it is still the old design, give or take, and I don't think I could justify buying it when I know that damn cool iPod touch is finally available. ;)

So, I'm waiting until next year. In the meantime I'll be treating myself to a new MacBook Pro, so it's all good. :cool:

That's the problem I ran into with the iPod touch. When I read that it would only come in 8gb and 16gb capacity I kind of let out a sigh. I have a hard time fitting my stuff on my 30gb ipod as it is. I have to constantly think, "Would I listen to this that much if I put it on there?" just because I have to conserve space.

Naimfan
Sep 7, 2007, 04:43 PM
That would assume that legal departments in general have credibility to start with... :eek:

:p ;) :cool:

Hey there now! ALL of us are not the greedy, money worshipping types.....

OK, at least, I know one: me!

:D

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:46 PM
That's the problem I ran into with the iPod touch. When I read that it would only come in 8gb and 16gb capacity I kind of let out a sigh. I have a hard time fitting my stuff on my 30gb ipod as it is. I have to constantly think, "Would I listen to this that much if I put it on there?" just because I have to conserve space.

Exactly, and for me, the other issue is that it wouldn't just be my music library. With the old iPod, I can't say the idea of looking at photos or videos on that small screen ever appealed to me. With an iPod touch, I would deifnitely want photos, TV shows and movies on the device, therefore requiring even more space in addition to my music library!

I really like them though so I think I'll bite when they go to 32GB. 30GB of formatted usable space is acceptable. Not ideal, but definitely acceptable and something I'd be able to work with.

arn
Sep 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
Weren't there a lot of mispredictions though? It looks like this article lists mainly the rumors that turned out to be true or partly true, not telling us all the rumors that were false.

The major rumors were true... there weren't a lot of rumors that were wrong. Nothing that was really on the radar leading into the event. Just the Beatles, and that was more expectation than rumor.

arn

ajhill
Looking in hindsight at the big price drop that ruffled everyone's panties this week it would definitely have been better if Apple had started June 29th with the 8gig iPhone at $500 and then dropped the price only $100 dollars going into the Christmas season.

Looking at the iPod/iPhone family chart with the pricing on it, one quickly realizes that Apple did the right thing in pricing the 8gig iPhone at $499. It just logically fits there.

The $100 credit will, in the end, not cost Apple much at all. It's like when Microsoft lost a huge class action lawsuit and the settlement was simply a $75 credit to purchase another Microsoft product. Whoop dee doo! Anyone who thinks that the store credit is actually worth the value printed on it is mistaken.

I don't know how the idiot at UBS came up with a $100 million loss for Apple. They haven't sold 1 million iPhones yet. And no rebate/credit program ever has 100% redemption. And finally Apple's average profit margin is nearly 28%.

So if Apple has sold say 800 iPhones before Sept 5th, with maybe a 75% redemtion rate with a 28% profit margin you would be looking at a cost of around 43,000,000. (And that doesn't count the people who are going to put the $100 toward the purchase of a large ticket item!) For a company that gets an undisclosed amount of money from ATT for each iPhone sold, plus a cut of the monthly bill AND has 13 BILLION dollars in the bank, I don't think this will hurt Apple in any way.

Then there is the Upside that UBS totally ignored. iPhones are now a lot more affordable to a lot more people. All those who said it was too expensive are now going to reconsider an iPhone for Christmas. So guess what that's actually a boost to revenue, because iPhone sales will come in at a higher rate now that it cost a lot less. Basic supply demand, UBS!

Apple's profit over the life of the iPhone 2 year contract WAS somewhere in the neighborhood of $716 dollars an iPhone. With that figure dropping to $516 (with the new $400 price) and volume picking up do you really think Apple is worried? ($100 profit margin on the iPhone, $200 kickback from ATT, $9/month/iphone subscriber x 24 months). The deal Apple cut with ATT is shameless for how profitable it is to Apple. Why do you think Verizon said no?

No, the only thing Apple is worried about is where to hold the victory party next year when they pass Target and Walmart as the #1 seller of music in the U.S.

Look at it this way, with all the recalls on Chinese toys this Christmas, I'm guessing more people will be getting iPhones and iPods under the Christmas tree. Maybe even a Mac or two. Don't forget that's really where Apple makes it's money and Mac sales are powering ahead at a breakneck pace. And Leopard doesn't even arrive until next month. Or...had you forgotten about that???

Sorry, Steve Jobs can't fix the subprime mess, though. I'm pretty sure his house is paid for.

~Shard~

Haha, couldn't resist, just having some fun. ;)

gugy
IMHO the winner was the iPhone. The price drop makes very tempting to get the device. I like the iPod Touch, but since it is only 16gig, I might as well get the iPhone when it hits 16gig, that I think is right around the corner.

I need a cell phone anyway and the AT&T price plans are not bad. So iPhone here I come.

If the Touch was 160gig, then I would get it for sure. Too bad.:(

Naimfan
Sep 7, 2007, 04:49 PM
Haha, couldn't resist, just having some fun. ;)

LOL--I know! If you know a lawyer joke I HAVEN'T heard yet, I'm all ears!

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:49 PM
If the Touch was 160gig, then I would get it for sure. Too bad.:(

Don't hold your breath for that one, as I think 160GB flash chips are a little ways away from being released... :p ;)

psychofreak
Sep 7, 2007, 04:51 PM
Don't hold your breath for that one, as I think 160GB flash chips are a little ways away from being released... :p ;)
Hopefully it won't be long until 32GB, because thats when I plan to upgrade...

siurpeeman
Sep 7, 2007, 04:52 PM
i think it should be noted that nobody predicted the continuation of the original ipod, which turned into the ipod classic. i think everybody expected the ipod to become the ipod touch complete with hdd, which never panned out.

gugy
Sep 7, 2007, 04:53 PM

I am not, believe me. I wish the Touch was HD instead of flash.
160gig flash is at at least 3 years away.

LWB
Sep 7, 2007, 04:57 PM
Pretty impressive stuff from 9to5mac. I love the new ipods and hopefully I'll get an ipod touch soon, as I don't need a new phone. :cool:

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 05:00 PM
I am not, believe me. I wish the Touch was HD instead of flash.
160gig flash is at at least 3 years away.

I don't think it will be that long, as there are already prototypes of 128GB flash-based drives out there along with 64GB flash cards. Regardless, by the time they become feasible from a manufacturing and cost perspective, it will still probably be around 1.5-2 years I'm guessing.

NewSc2
Sep 7, 2007, 05:06 PM
This part from the USA Today interview with Jobs caught my eye :

"Q: Many people already have Beatles music on CDs. Will they really buy it online if they already own it?

A: I do expect them to, yes. That's been the case with other music, as well.

I own every Bob Dylan album ever, but I buy a lot of it on iTunes, because I guess I'm just too lazy to rip it from the CD."

Well, it sort of is throwing in money on one end and getting it back out on the other :D

Claytoniss
Sep 7, 2007, 05:07 PM

I think I was one that said they were fake. But it could be a bad photoshop job, or 3d program moc up of the piece. I think a lot of companies release renders of their products before even making them.

I still stand by my original imo and say they are pretty ugly! And so are the colors. I don't think that apple poops out great design now, now I know they poop just like the rest of us.

morphineseason
Sep 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
I still don't really understand why the iPod touch wasn't hard drive based. With the iPhone, flash memory was a must because it's a damn phone. iPod is a different story though - we've been fine all these years with hard drive based media players, why can't we have one now in "the best iPod Apple has ever made"? I just think it's a tad soon to be switching the main-focus iPod to flash memory (which has been the whole point of the nano).

Maybe Steve just cares way to much about how thin the device is (anyone notice how many times he said "Just look at how thin this is! It's amazing" in the keynote?). Am I the only one that really doesn't care? My 5.5gen 30gb iPod is plenty thin and extremely portable. I really don't like sacrificing features for an extra 0.XXmm trimmed off the device.

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
I still don't really understand why the iPod touch wasn't hard drive based.

Maybe Steve just cares way to much about how thin the device is

You just answered your own question buddy. ;) :cool:

zedsdead
Sep 7, 2007, 05:10 PM
It seems many people owe 9-to-5 Mac some credit...the only thing missed by them was the thickness of the iPod Touch...otherwise they were dead on with both the iPod keynote and last August's iMac Keynote.

NewSc2
Sep 7, 2007, 05:16 PM
Sigh, I miss the good ol' days.. Digitimes used to be so inaccurate we'd bet against anything they'd report.

Mgkwho
Sep 7, 2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah, nice job!

I wonder what Jobs was thinking when everything was predicted...

-=|Mgkwho

offwidafairies
Sep 7, 2007, 05:50 PM

Their recent predicitions have been uncanny; they certainly have someone on the inside!

I've just added them to my favourite sites :D

compuguy1088
Sep 7, 2007, 06:03 PM
I've just added them to my favourite sites :D

Same here! It's now in my rss reader, now if MacRumors, posted full or longer posts like Engadget/TUAW does...

PCMacUser
Sep 7, 2007, 06:19 PM

I can't quite understand how you could struggle with 30gb of space. That's dozens of days worth of non stop music, 24/7, isn't it?

Half of the success story behind the Apple iPod is its seamless syncing with iTunes, but I get the impression that a lot of people here don't really use it much anyway. Which means we should all go out and buy something else ;)

But seriously, I'm also a bit disappointed with the 8/16gb options in the iPod Touch. Even my 4th gen iPod Photo has 60Gb (of which I'm only able to fill a third with music, and the rest with data).

milo
Sep 7, 2007, 06:25 PM
My favorite leading up to the event was one guy who kept insisting in the forum that it wouldn't be an ipod event, that it was to announce the next version of Logic Pro!

He even kept asking for the "official press release" saying that the event was about iPods.

:rolleyes:

Jarcrew
Sep 7, 2007, 06:36 PM
Whoever 9to5 Mac has on the inside - be it one guy or a few people - will not be on the inside for much longer, guaranteed. Give it a month and that place will be the new Think Secret - they'll do an entry on the mid-range tower with elevator photos and everything.

Loge
Sep 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
9to5 were spot on with photos, but thin on information about specs. Up until the event there was a lot of conflicting predictions. Not surprisingly some of them were correct.

PCMA
Sep 7, 2007, 07:13 PM
Apple has a pretty impressive record of keeping new products/ announcements under raps.

I find it hard to believe that Apple have suddenly become clumsy and loose-lipped - well not by accident anyway.

I believe it's much more likely that the latest spate of super accurate rumours is simply a tactic by Apple PR to generate pre-announcement buzz. And like most things from Cupertino - it sure works.

Remember, a certain repressed blogger said this at MWSF 2006... "Hi, I'm Steve Jobs, and welcome to my weekly podcast, Super Secret Apple Rumors, featuring all the latest news from our favorite company." Looks like Steve's got his dream gig at 9to5 Mac.

KiraDouji
Sep 7, 2007, 07:18 PM
As a new Mac-adaptee this latest round of refreshes and prices has only made me more happy with my choice to switch. Especially with the good showing by Jobs giving the early adapters the 100 dollars back on their iPhones. It shows that the company actually values its customers. Good round, over all.

(Now if my only my MBP + nano would ship! :rolleyes: )

- Kira

plumosa
Sep 7, 2007, 07:35 PM
I can't quite understand how you could struggle with 30gb of space. That's dozens of days worth of non stop music, 24/7, isn't it?

right, but that doesn't hold a lot of VIDEO, since one of the major points for having a full sized screen is a bigger picture.

beer.coffee
Sep 7, 2007, 07:44 PM
My favorite leading up to the event was one guy who kept insisting in the forum that it wouldn't be an ipod event, that it was to announce the next version of Logic Pro!

He even kept asking for the "official press release" saying that the event was about iPods.

:rolleyes:

Hahaha, that guy cracked me up too =)

mr.steevo
Sep 7, 2007, 07:48 PM

Hi,

I remember the G4 iMac being on Time's front cover on the online edition the night before its release.

s.

stcroixsailor
Sep 7, 2007, 07:50 PM
i've been waiting for the ipod touch for more than a year now- but I noticed something on the 360 gallery thingy.

the headphone jack is on the bottom :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

i hate the nanos that were like that. AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH

Jarcrew
Sep 7, 2007, 07:56 PM
Doesn't it make more sense to have it that way? Surely that's the natural way to put it in your pocket.

epiphany
Sep 7, 2007, 08:03 PM
the headphone jack is on the bottom :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad:

i hate the nanos that were like that.

Now that you mention it, that is one reason I thought one of the leaked nano photos was fake; I couldn't imagine Apple would make it look bad with the jack out the bottom.

Curtis72
Sep 7, 2007, 08:48 PM
What is up with the AppleTV? Will it suffer the same fate is the iPod HI-FI within a year? I have seen any commerials for it awhile (not since the iPhone release). I was hoping for some news on the Apple TV front this Wednesday like software update and movie rentail service. I just spent $10.58 at Blockbuster to rent two Blu-Ray movies. I whether spend $11 to read three HD movies from iTunes.

teleromeo
Sep 7, 2007, 08:56 PM

lol ! :D

jacktiernan
Sep 7, 2007, 09:07 PM

I couldn't believe that screenshot was genuine either!!
Madness. Just goes to show, you never really can tell

jacktiernan
Sep 7, 2007, 09:08 PM
Doesn't it make more sense to have it that way? Surely that's the natural way to put it in your pocket.

I would have though ti really doesn't make much of a difference.....

celavato
Sep 7, 2007, 09:23 PM
[i]After each major event, MacRumors provides a wrapup of rumors to reveal the sources of the most accurate (or inaccurate) information

In light of the iPod announcements this week -- probably the most talked about ever -- you might find [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs"]this historical document of interest (http://www.macrumors.com).

joemama
Sep 7, 2007, 09:27 PM
I just got back from the Aple store. The new Nano Video is absolutely amazing!!!!

It's so light, smooth, nice size screen - a real winner.

I will tell you this right now - it will be the hottest item this holiday season. Everyone will be getting the 8gig Nano. The itunes video store sales will be through the roof.

NBC is going to kick themselves in the rear while Steve laughs his way to the bank.

PBUser167
Sep 7, 2007, 09:33 PM
I still don't really understand why the iPod touch wasn't hard drive based. With the iPhone, flash memory was a must because it's a damn phone. iPod is a different story though - we've been fine all these years with hard drive based media players, why can't we have one now in "the best iPod Apple has ever made"? I just think it's a tad soon to be switching the main-focus iPod to flash memory (which has been the whole point of the nano).

Maybe Steve just cares way to much about how thin the device is (anyone notice how many times he said "Just look at how thin this is! It's amazing" in the keynote?). Am I the only one that really doesn't care? My 5.5gen 30gb iPod is plenty thin and extremely portable. I really don't like sacrificing features for an extra 0.XXmm trimmed off the device.

I suspect it was more for battery life. Flash uses much less power. Just like the iPhone, the iPod Touch has that really large screen it has to power. So not only would the iPod touch have to be bigger for the HDD, it would have to be bigger for the battery. I think they made the right trade-off personally, but your opinion may vary.

What I think is interesting about the $200 price drop on the iPhone is that is the exact amount it costs to get out of my T-Mobile contract... It is a sign!

-PBUser167

PBUser167
Sep 7, 2007, 09:42 PM
I find it hard to believe that Apple have suddenly become clumsy and loose-lipped - well not by accident anyway.

Keep in mind that they have been on a hiring spree lately. Obviously hiring some folks that don't mind sharing secrets. Those photos from 9to5Mac look like someone was walking up to workstations at the Campus snapping pics of other peoples work. Apple security is probably all over it. It isn't as if Apple doesn't know who was doing the product artwork like the flower of new Nanos...

-PBUser167

brandon6684
Sep 7, 2007, 09:59 PM
Well, I for one am glad that the "iPhone without a phone" rumors were right. I have to admit that I was one of the most skeptical about them, though I was so hopeful for it. While the price drop removes half of the purchase barrier of the iPhone($400 is probably the most I'd consider reasonable for a phone), the other half(only AT&T as the carrier) was still there. The iPod touch looks great, except for the lack of a public API and an official way to develop applications. With the ability to make real apps with out a lot of trouble to for the end user to use them(mostly mail and IM), the iPod touch can replace my laptop for casual usage. I just hope they do release that SDK. It would allow Apple to succeed where Palm failed with the Zire to create the consumer PDA, or more accurately with the LifeDrive to create the multimedia PDA. It or the iPhone may never become corporate devices to replace the BlackBerry, but at long last the (broad, not techie)consumer market for PDAs and smart phones could finally be born. Though they will probably materialize with out a real SDK, it won't be quite the PC replacement it could be.

TitoC
Sep 7, 2007, 09:59 PM
What is up with the AppleTV? Will it suffer the same fate is the iPod HI-FI within a year?

I hear everyone saying how the iPod Hi-Fi is dead ("ThinkSecret predicted the iPod Hi-Fi's demise. - Macrumors"). I really don't think so. Think about it. The webpage is STILL up there (http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/). It's been three days now and it's still up there. Sure, the Apple Store has it down, but that's usually the case when a product is getting revamped, not gone for good. If this was the case, there would no longer be a iPod Hi-Fi page at all. Also, the iPod Hi-Fi page has taken the "BUY" button down. If they did that, why not take the whole page down as opposed to making a minor change to it, but still leaving it up.

Mark my words, iPod Hi-Fi is getting revamped, not nixed.

brandon6684
Sep 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
I hear everyone saying how the iPod Hi-Fi is dead ("ThinkSecret predicted the iPod Hi-Fi's demise. - Macrumors"). I really don't think so. Think about it. The webpage is STILL up there (http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/). It's been three days now and it's still up there. Sure, the Apple Store has it down, but that's usually the case when a product is getting revamped, not gone for good. If this was the case, there would no longer be a iPod Hi-Fi page at all. Also, the iPod Hi-Fi page has taken the "BUY" button down. If they did that, why not take the whole page down as opposed to making a minor change to it, but still leaving it up.

I don't think the iPod HiFi and the AppleTV are really comparable. The HiFi was more of an accessory that duplicated many competitors while the AppleTV is a real member of the main product line that a third party can't match completely. In any case, I hope the see the AppleTV continue to grow, while I see the iPod HiFi as integral part or Apple as the iPods socks.

nemaslov
Sep 7, 2007, 10:11 PM

Half of the success story behind the Apple iPod is its seamless syncing with iTunes, but I get the impression that a lot of people here don't really use it much anyway. Which means we should all go out and buy something else ;)

But seriously, I'm also a bit disappointed with the 8/16gb options in the iPod Touch. Even my 4th gen iPod Photo has 60Gb (of which I'm only able to fill a third with music, and the rest with data).

I am one whose 80GB is overflowing. I have about 110GB of music only on my Mac and want it all with me....always. I ordered a 160 Classic which is on its way. Of course with smartlists, playlists we could edit what we take, but there are many who are on the road or have their iPods at work and at the office and want to have everything with them. You really never know what musical mood you may find yourself in at any particular time.

nemaslov
Sep 7, 2007, 10:14 PM
I suspect it was more for battery life. Flash uses much less power. Just like the iPhone, the iPod Touch has that really large screen it has to power. So not only would the iPod touch have to be bigger for the HDD, it would have to be bigger for the battery. I think they made the right trade-off personally, but your opinion may vary.

What I think is interesting about the $200 price drop on the iPhone is that is the exact amount it costs to get out of my T-Mobile contract... It is a sign!

-PBUser167

1 jjust orderd a 160GB HD classic. What 4o hours is not enough?

PBUser167
Sep 7, 2007, 10:31 PM
1 jjust orderd a 160GB HD classic. What 4o hours is not enough?

Right, so you get 40 hours on a 2.5 inch screen with the classic. The point I made was that the screen is larger on the iPod Touch. It has a 3.5" widescreen display. It is almost 2X the area of the iPod Classic's screen. The LCD probably draws more power than any other individual component.

This means that a HDD version of the iPod Touch would have to be substantially deeper for the HDD and the battery. I wasn't saying that the battery life of the released products was not sufficient, just commenting the reasons why you wouldn't want to make a HDD version of the iPod Touch technically speaking. Those technical reasons would be what forced it to be aesthetically displeasing too. ;)

-PBUser167

Curtis72
Sep 7, 2007, 10:52 PM

iPod HI-FI is dead according to Engadget (who said they got directly from a Apple representive). Yes. the Page is still up because iPod HI-FI can still be bought at places like Best Buy. But once they're all sold you would be able to buy a retail version.

Sure Apple has to be working on more products. I want Apple to build my perfect A/V receiver. It would probably help if told them what features I want :rolleyes:

nemaslov
Sep 7, 2007, 10:53 PM
Right, so you get 40 hours on a 2.5 inch screen with the classic. The point I made was that the screen is larger on the iPod Touch. It has a 3.5" widescreen display. It is almost 2X the area of the iPod Classic's screen. The LCD probably draws more power than any other individual component.

This means that a HDD version of the iPod Touch would have to be substantially deeper for the HDD and the battery. I wasn't saying that the battery life of the released products was not sufficient, just commenting the reasons why you wouldn't want to make a HDD version of the iPod Touch technically speaking. Those technical reasons would be what forced it to be aesthetically displeasing too. ;)

-PBUser167

GOT IT!!
Yes I agree. For me it's only for music. Don't watch anything on my iPods...

golfstud
Sep 7, 2007, 11:04 PM
What is up with the AppleTV? Will it suffer the same fate is the iPod HI-FI within a year? I have seen any commerials for it awhile (not since the iPhone release). I was hoping for some news on the Apple TV front this Wednesday like software update and movie rentail service. I just spent $10.58 at Blockbuster to rent two Blu-Ray movies. I whether spend $11 to read three HD movies from iTunes.

I agree, I was really hoping for 720P content. Apple TV and others like XBOX have the 'potential' to make the Blu-ray, HDdvd debate moot. If Apple TV could offer 5.1 and higher resolution it would be a killer. I think the rumor that Apple wants to work with studios to cut pricing is a GREAT idea...if shows were only $99 cents, I would ditch cable and just buy content. Even still if 720 p happens then I would consider buying season passes. The key here is the ability to watch it on tv, iphone, ipod, or computer.

PCMacUser
Sep 7, 2007, 11:15 PM
right, but that doesn't hold a lot of VIDEO, since one of the major points for having a full sized screen is a bigger picture.

Yep, fair enough.

twoodcc
Sep 8, 2007, 08:06 AM

they got something, that's for sure

JeffDM
Sep 8, 2007, 09:02 AM
I agree, I was really hoping for 720P content. Apple TV and others like XBOX have the 'potential' to make the Blu-ray, HDdvd debate moot. If Apple TV could offer 5.1 and higher resolution it would be a killer.

720p would be a good intermediate step. Storage can be a killer. I can fully take advantage of 1080p and see the difference, but I think most people can't, there isn't much point to making bigger files for a smaller niche.

I think the rumor that Apple wants to work with studios to cut pricing is a GREAT idea...if shows were only $99 cents, I would ditch cable and just buy content. Even still if 720 p happens then I would consider buying season passes. The key here is the ability to watch it on tv, iphone, ipod, or computer.

I'm thinking about changing my satellite arrangement myself. I can't resubscribe to Comedy Central on analog satellite anymore, and once my current subscription is up, then I need to go elsewhere to fill my TDS and CR cravings. While The Daily Show & Colbert Monthly Pass isn't that unfair on its own, but that's as much as $20/mo on top of my current $22/mo to get the rest of the channels I get over satellite. It would be nice to get it down farther than that to justify that route, otherwise, I can switch satellite providers and get access to a lot more.

Cloudane
Sep 8, 2007, 10:32 AM
Even Don Bagles wasn't far off with his *cough* "insider information" :D

The rumours were just so prevalent that they had to have a certain degree of accuracy, although I'm surprised at how accurate they were.

Has anyone thought that perhaps Apple uses sites like this for ideas? As excellent a product as it is (and I've ordered one), the Touch does seem to me like a bit of a rush job, quickly whipped up from iPhone parts so that they wouldn't disappoint people when this announcement came along. I mean if they'd just released the new Nano Fatpod and the "Classic" with the new interface then there would've been a lot of disappointed people and Apple would've been a laughing stock.

What better place to get some great design ideas than rumour sites.

Evangelion
Sep 8, 2007, 11:27 AM

I don't think that space is that much of an issue. Liki I said in anothe thread: I have a 5GB music-library that has around thousand songs. It's not huge, but I guess it's a bit bigger than average. Anyway. I have all those songs in my iPod Mini, and when I shuffle through them, I find myself hitting "next" all the time. So yesterday I created a smart playlist that only includes songs that I have listened three times or more. What happened? My 5GB library shrank to 1.25GB. I think I will be limiting myself to just those songs from now on. Not only does it save loads of space, it makes shuffling through my library a lot more pleasant, since I only have the songs I actually listen to.

It would be interesting to see what happens with you who have 20+GB music-libraries. Create a smart-playlist that only includes songs that you actually listen to, and see how much space that playlist needs.

OK, there's still the argument of "but I might want to listen some of those other songs when I'm away from my computer!". But is that realistic? After all this time, you havent listened to them, what are the odds that you will suddenly get the urge to listen to them now? And if you really want them on your iPod, they would still be just one sync away.

What about video? Again: no problem. Take me for example: last year when I visited my family and friends in the countryside, I decided to bring few movies with me, so I would have something to do when I had time by myself. Did I take my entire movie-collection with me? No. Did I take 20 movies with me? No. What I did take was 2-3 movies that I thought would be nice to watch. I had no need to take gazillion movies with me, even though I could have.

I still don't really understand why the iPod touch wasn't hard drive based.

Because it would consume too much power. Add the large screen, wifi, multitouch and HD together and you get a device that just plows right through batteries. iPod Classic gets better battery-life with HD than touch gets with flash. So I guess that 700Mhz CPU touch has eats A LOT more power than the CPU in classic does. And the screen eats A LOT more power than screen on the classic does. And we still have Wifi as well. Currently touch is 8mm thick and weights 120g. With 80GB HD and beefier battery to support it it could very well be twice as thick (approaching 2cm) with weight being around 170g and still with significantly less battery-life than what classic gets.

People seem to think that adding HD to the device is as simple as slapping it in. But that is not the case.

Rhosfelt
Sep 8, 2007, 11:32 AM
Does it bother anyone else that there is only 7 icons on the touch home screen? Maybe I just have a minor case of OCD, but anyone with an iPhone, can you let me know if you can adjust the home screen? If not I am going to look for an app to add just to make that screen even..:)

nemaslov
Sep 8, 2007, 04:16 PM
Does it bother anyone else that there is only 7 icons on the touch home screen? Maybe I just have a minor case of OCD, but anyone with an iPhone, can you let me know if you can adjust the home screen? If not I am going to look for an app to add just to make that screen even..:)

OCD?

timothyjay2004
Sep 8, 2007, 06:11 PM
What happened with the education discounts??? I'm noticing that all of them are disappearing or not much of a discount anymore. The ipods used to be all discounted as well as their warranties ... Now none of it is. iWork and iLife used to be $49 for education, now it's $79... Tiger was $69 for me and I'm betting that it won't be that cheap.. I bet it'll be at least $99 for education.. I just don't understand why they are taking all of the education discounts away.

~Shard~
Sep 8, 2007, 11:56 PM
OCD?

Obsessive compulsive disorder. :cool:

MacinDoc
Sep 9, 2007, 10:16 AM
Wow, 9 to 5 is really hot for Mac rumors right now.

AppleInsider was unusually quiet this time. And ThinkSecret unusually accurate.

Loge
Sep 9, 2007, 10:22 AM
And ThinkSecret unusually accurate.

ThinkSecret weren't so good this time round. The day before the announcement they said they expected HDDs in the touch.

MacinDoc
Sep 9, 2007, 10:24 AM
ThinkSecret weren't so good this time round. The day before the announcement they said they expected HDDs in the touch.
I didn't say they were TOTALLY accurate, just that they were UNUSUALLY accurate (for them), which, in this case, is getting at least one thing right...

Loge
Sep 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
I didn't say they were TOTALLY accurate, just that they were UNUSUALLY accurate (for them), which, in this case, is getting at least one thing right...

Well yes that is unusual these days I grant you. ;)

mattydodgy
Sep 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
I got an iPod classic tonight and it's amazing! Thank you Apple!

GeekLawyer
Sep 9, 2007, 06:37 PM

That makes two of us, then. ;)

SactoGuy18
Sep 9, 2007, 09:41 PM
I'm also surprised how much info leaked out of Apple with this release. I wouldnt be surprised if Apple's internal security folks start pushing harder to find leakers. I'm sure Steve doesn't like mockups and UI videos online weeks before a product launch.

I still remember in late August-early September 2006 that Apple would unveil the second-generation iPod nano, an MP3 player that looked like a reduced-size iPod mini. In short, there were pretty substantial leaks on what became the 2G iPod nano.

However, it appears that 9to5mac.com got their hands on a picture of of the real 3G iPod nanos and processed them through PhotoShop (remember, the picture was a .PSD file) so people thought it was a fake. This was especially true with the light shadows behind the players in that picture.

gear71428
Sep 11, 2007, 04:43 PM
I have a Western Digital World Book HDD in my home network. I have stored all my files (music, videos, photos, etc.) on this drive and can access all those files from any computer I want that has internet access.

If I can do this with the ipod touch; I really don't view its' storage space as limited.

I think we need to look at these portable wifi devices differently, if they can access our home networks where we keep our files, why would we need the device to have storage space bigger than 8-10GB?

~Shard~
Sep 11, 2007, 05:01 PM
I think we need to look at these portable wifi devices differently, if they can access our home networks where we keep our files, why would we need the device to have storage space bigger than 8-10GB?

I hear what you're saying, but I think the key word right now is "if". I believe wifi access and such will need to mature a bit before this will be a no-brainer for everyone.

Rom Rim
Sep 13, 2007, 01:15 PM
This is so cool! So exciting! Unfortunately we're all sitting around watching paint dry so it's hard to pull people away to read the article.