PDA

View Full Version : Macbook vs Powerbook 1.67Ghz

Powerwing
Sep 7, 2007, 03:35 PM
About three months ago, I had a chance to buy a 15" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz (the last Powerbook made with dual layer DVD-burner) for a couple of hundred dollars less than the cheapest macbook. Unfortunately, I took too long to decide whether or not it was worth buying a 1,5 year old computer.
However, I have come across a new opportunity : again, it's one of the last powerbooks made, a 1.67Ghz Powerbook G4 with dual-layer burner, but this time it's a 17" model, even better ! And it's only about 50 (about $68) : more expensive than that last 15" model, and it's in perfect condition and it comes with OS X.4 and iLife 06.
I'm not a power user : I do some light gaming (Warcraft 3, Jedi Knight 2, older games basically), use of iLife (esp. iMovie), some DTP, no heavy stuff so I suppose nothing that needs more than 2Gb of RAM .
I was looking into buying a MAcbook when Leopard is released but I don't really NEED leopard (I'm still using Panther on my G4/800 Powermac and my aging Pismo), and I suppose Tiger will still be supported for some years to come. Seeing that this particular machine is 1.5 to 2 years old, I would like to squeeze 3 to possibly even 4 more years out of it. The asking price is 900 (about $1230) - the new Macbook (black) I want will cost me 1450 (about $1985), an entry level MB Pro 1850 (about $2530). I really should compare this PB with a MB Pro but I'm on a budget and can't really afford a Macbook Pro. So I guess this is between this Powerbook or the MAcbook.
Yes, I know the Macbook is a lot faster, but I assume that I will already notice a huge speed boost coming from a 800 G4 Quicksilver Powermac with 1Gb of RAM and a crappy 32Mb Radeon 7500, wouldn't you think ?
What are your thoughts on this ?

shu82
Sep 7, 2007, 03:55 PM
No imovie 08 but you should be fine with it. I bought mine from richP here and I love it. It even streams divx stage6 fine. It will run leopard; and since apple always supports the previous os, it should be supported for another 6 years or so!

I can also still play Oregon Trail! This was the last mac produced that will still play it natively. Ive been transferring it from mac to mac for almost 20 years now.

pianoman
Sep 7, 2007, 03:58 PM
without getting into the specifics of this particular case, i'll say this: i don't think it is wise to spend that much money on old technology.