PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the iPod interface

other
Sep 8, 2007, 06:07 AM
Since Apple is the only company with a new high capacity DAP I'm considering buying the iPod Classic. I have some questions about its interface though (this has nothing to do with the new interface, if you've used an iPod, you can probably answer my questions). I have tried my mother's iPod Nano a little, and there are some things that really bugs me.

1. When I choose a playlist, I want the artist browser to show up, just not a list of all the tracks. How do I do this? It's really important that this is possible with playlists, because if I do this with all artists, there are a lot of stuff in the way. Preferably I want to be able to choose, depending on what playlist it is.

2. If I have some albums marked as compilations will they show up under "Compilations" in the artist browser (like in iTunes), or will the artists on the album still be listed among all other artists? I believe there is a separate menu item for accessing compilations, this is not something I want to use.

This is what bothers me most right now. How do I make it work the way I want?

other
Sep 8, 2007, 09:22 AM
I find it hard to believe that all the people who read this thread have never used an iPod. Anyone?

rockthecasbah
Sep 8, 2007, 09:33 AM
2. If I have some albums marked as compilations will they show up under "Compilations" in the artist browser (like in iTunes), or will the artists on the album still be listed among all other artists? I believe there is a separate menu item for accessing compilations, this is not something I want to use.

This is what bothers me most right now. How do I make it work the way I want?

They show up under the artist in iTunes's listings and on the iPod, but the literal files are stored in a separate folder (at least on Windows they are) called "Compilations."

As for your first question, that is just one of the querks of the iPod interface. There are no fixes to this as far as I know, and if there are, it is on from a 3rd party software fix, not Apple.

other
Sep 8, 2007, 09:37 AM
They show up under the artist in iTunes's listings and on the iPod, but the literal files are stored in a separate folder (at least on Windows they are) called "Compilations."

I would never let iTunes touch my file structure, so I know where it's physically stored (not on the iPod though, since Apple obfuscate everything). And it doesn't matter how they're stored, since the iPod uses its database.

As for your first question, that is just one of the querks of the iPod interface. There are no fixes to this as far as I know, and if there are, it is on from a 3rd party software fix, not Apple.

Really?! That sucks!

Damn, I don't want to wait until 2008 to buy a DAP (when Cowon hopefully releases a X5 successor), but if this is the alternative, I don't know. Is the iPod interface that bad?

rockthecasbah
Sep 8, 2007, 09:43 AM
I haven't found anything "bad" with the iPod interface period. The querks like that Playlist thing is annoying (that is the only one I actually have a problem with by the way), but it's not any more than a slight grievance, and in the grand scheme of things, is insignificant. I think the iPod interface is the easiest and most user friendly, but obviously nothing is perfect.

If something like that playlist thing is going to be life or death for you, I guess wait. Go to an Apple store or a place that displays testable mode3ls and try one out if you want, and see for yourself what they're like. I can't tell you what you will like.

other
Sep 8, 2007, 09:46 AM
If it's anything like the frontrow interface, it's really bad. Really, really, bad. :(

The thing is, my old player broke, and I really need a new one. Too bad everyone but Apple is only targeting the flash market. But I can't invest that much money in a player with a bad interface. :(

gloss
Sep 8, 2007, 10:02 AM
If it's anything like the frontrow interface, it's really bad. Really, really, bad. :(

The thing is, my old player broke, and I really need a new one. Too bad everyone but Apple is only targeting the flash market. But I can't invest that much money in a player with a bad interface. :(

If you think the iPod's bad you should try anything else on the market. You'll be back.

ds252
Sep 8, 2007, 10:07 AM
You could re name every song so that the artists name is after the title and you will be able to see both, otherwise i have no clue.

other
Sep 8, 2007, 10:23 AM
If you think the iPod's bad you should try anything else on the market. You'll be back.

That's the problem, there are no other HDD based DAPs (except for the 2 year old ones, that are expensive for what you get).

But interface wise, my old Creative was better.