PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Movie Rentals Coming?

dan-o-mac
Sep 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
I saw this over at Digg looks interesting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xlife/1344263299/

nismo
Sep 8, 2007, 10:38 AM
damn you beat me to it I was just about to post it from engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/08/itunes-store-slip-up-reveals-future-rental-movie-options/
:p

Blue Velvet
Sep 8, 2007, 10:45 AM
Movie rentals could be coming to the iTunes Store, if an apparent slip-up by Apple is any indication. Mac developer David Watanabe uploaded a screenshot depicting an iTunes problem reporting system which has options for requesting a refund due to non-delivery of rental movies. The other options for reporting issues with the as yet unannounced -- but rumored -- rental movie options on the iTunes Store include accidental purchase, poor content quality, duplicate purchase, wrong version, bad metadata, and "other." The same possible complaints are available for every other content type on iTunes. We verified that these options are still viewable on a US iTunes Store account: see for yourself by viewing your account purchase history, clicking report problem, and then clicking on an individual purchase.

Peace
Sep 8, 2007, 11:00 AM
Man Apple are on their toes.This snafu has been removed from iTunes also.

MacRumors
Sep 8, 2007, 11:36 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

David Watanabe posted a screenshot (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xlife/1344263299/) to Flickr which reveals that Apple may be working on Movie Rentals in iTunes.

He was reporting a problem in iTunes and the pop-up menu listed a number of possible problems. These included

DidNotReceiveMovie-RentalMovie
AccidentalPurchase-RentalMovie
ContentQuality-RentalMovie
DuplicatePurchase-RentalMovie
WrongVErsion-RentalMovie
BadMetadata-RentalMovie
Other-RentalMovie

Apple has been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/10/itunes-movie-rentals-at-2-99-for-30-days/) to be in talks with Hollywood studios about launching an online movie rental service. The rumored price was $2.99 for a 30 day rental and would allow films to be moved to at least one other device -- such as the iPod or iPhone.

The target launch for the service was this fall.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/08/itunes-movie-rentals-coming/)

psychofreak
Sep 8, 2007, 11:39 AM
If you could rent these while using the AppleTV with the iTunesWiFiStore it would be fantastic...

theheadguy
Sep 8, 2007, 11:41 AM
Man Apple are on their toes.This snafu has been removed from iTunes also.
I'd have to say Apple is not on their toes. Leak after leak are proving accurate. (Although this is a programming slip-up, it still goes with the flow of less real surprises)

adrianblaine
Sep 8, 2007, 11:42 AM
If you could rent these while using the AppleTV with the iTunesWiFiStore it would be fantastic...

This is what I've been waiting for in :apple:TV. I won't even consider getting one until this happens.

Thanatoast
Sep 8, 2007, 11:48 AM
This would kick ass. I'd definitely be down for rentals on iTunes. Blockbuster, Hollywood and Netflix better watch out.

Now all Apple needs to do is work on selection. There's no reason at all they shouldn't have a ginormous catalog.

sbarton
Sep 8, 2007, 11:49 AM
This is great, although I hope they come out with a rental option for TV shows also. Drop the price to .99 for a 3 month unlimited viewing for tv shows and it gets real interesting.

Blue Velvet
Sep 8, 2007, 11:51 AM
If the choice was wide instead of solely Hollywood guff, I would never rent another DVD again... pity that Universal seem to be in a tizz with Apple.

Muzzway
Sep 8, 2007, 11:51 AM
Might make me buy a touch if this comes out. :D

whatever
Sep 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
It would be great if Apple introduced this as a feature of Apple TV (one of the best products that Apple came out with this year!).

Apple already included the iTunes Store login as an option for the Apple TV, so this makes sense.

Can you imagine a download movie rental system using Apple TV! That would be awesome. All they would have to do is make it 1080p (software) and Dolby Digital and then BluRay and HD-DVD would have some real problems. People would skip that generation of "hard" media and move to digital!

plumbingandtech
Sep 8, 2007, 11:53 AM
This is great, although I hope they come out with a rental option for TV shows also. Drop the price to .99 for a 3 month unlimited viewing for tv shows and it gets real interesting.

Ahhh... people already complaining about the price and it has not even shipped yet. (Maybe apple will give us a rebate is we cry enough!)

This price is FAIR unless one wants to do the math on netflix like subscriptions.

Then again they are not the same market. If apple does this I don't see myself using it much (unless HDTV quality is included) since I use Netflix and can wait a couple of days for a movie and can keep in as long as I want.

Now if apple does HD movies I am buying an apple tv since it will be a whole lot cheaper then buying blueray AND a hd dvd players...

sbarton
Sep 8, 2007, 12:00 PM
Ahhh... people already complaining about the price and it has not even shipped yet. (Maybe apple will give us a rebate is we cry enough!)

This price is FAIR unless one wants to do the math on netflix like subscriptions.

Then again they are not the same market. If apple does this I don't see myself using it much (unless HDTV quality is included) since I use Netflix and can wait a couple of days for a movie and can keep in as long as I want.

Now if apple does HD movies I am buying an apple tv since it will be a whole lot cheaper then buying blueray AND a hd dvd players...

Not sure what about my comment makes you think it was a complaint? Maybe you missed that idea that most of my post was referring to "tv shows"?

JGF0x
Sep 8, 2007, 12:01 PM
Finally... soon maybe. Xbox Live already has it but Apple offers the iPod mobility factor which would make this a pretty sweet deal. :apple: FTW!

sir42
Sep 8, 2007, 12:02 PM
Can you imagine a download movie rental system using Apple TV! That would be awesome. All they would have to do is make it 1080p (software) and Dolby Digital and then BluRay and HD-DVD would have some real problems. People would skip that generation of "hard" media and move to digital!

I agree. Apple has a real opportunity here to put an end to the format wars. Downloadable HD movie rentals is only a matter of time anyway. And it's the killer ap for Apple TV.

Just imagine you're spending a day in the park when you decide you want to watch True Lies when you get home. You just whip out your iPhone and program your Apple TV to start downloading the movie. When you get home, you fire up your Apple TV and start watching in 1080p. No more DVDs, HD-DVDs, Blu-Ray, Netflix or Blockbuster. In one swoop could come right out and be a real game changer.

Darkroom
Sep 8, 2007, 12:04 PM
i confess that i am a serial torrent downloader... but if i could rent movie thru iTunes for $2.99, there's a good chance that my torrent days would end... it's not so much that i want it for free, it's more that i just don't want to have to leave my cozy apartment, get in my car, drive to the video store in the rain, search for a movie i can't find, etc...

sure, there already are services for movie rentals online... but i don't like them...

X86BSD
Sep 8, 2007, 12:04 PM
They made them DVD resolution or higher and offered plans just like netflix and the others. Like $29.99/mo for 5 movies at a time unlimited rentals per month. That would be reallllllly great.

X

carfac
Sep 8, 2007, 12:19 PM
Until Apple gets this up to a realistic resolution (DVD or better), its a non starter with me. I do not care what the show or movie, if it looks like ****, I could care less.

FWIW, I have bought 5-10 songs EVER on iTunes- and those were free from Pepsi Bottle caps... and that is entirely due to iTunes piss-poor bit rate there, too. All my music is Apple Lossless.

The argument could be made that maybe you cannot hear the difference between 128 rate and apple lossless, and I admit the difference is not much. The new DRM-less is better (but I consider both formats low-res, and thus overpriced at 99 and 1.29)

But TV shows at the current rez most definitely show the poor res, especially on bigger TVs.

Get them up to a good rez, then we can start talking. Otherwise, its only good for an iPod, not the living room.

Curtis72
Sep 8, 2007, 12:23 PM
This is what I've been waiting for in :apple:TV. I won't even consider getting one until this happens.

I was hoping some :apple: TV needs woould be released last Wednesday. I want to put my apple:TV to more use then it is now (only using for music, podcast, YouTube viewing which overall is lame).

fastbite
Sep 8, 2007, 12:33 PM
Regardless of the resolution rentals would be a killer step, decisive game move that would scare the hell out of the competition, simply because the millions of iPod touch that are going to sell -- and with such a fantastic screen the temptation to rent one or two or a hundred flicks is going to be difficult to resist.

CmdrLaForge
Sep 8, 2007, 12:38 PM
That would be really really great. Because people ususally don't want to own movies in contrast to music. I watch a movie once. THats it. I listen to my music sometimes a hundred times.

DaBrain
Sep 8, 2007, 12:43 PM

Sure would! As long as the price is comprable to Netflix as an example I would but an :apple: TV in a heart beat! Been patiently awaiting this! :cool:

ifjake
Sep 8, 2007, 12:53 PM
720p, max, probably. Download times would be too long for anything more. DVD quality, min, which would be perfectly acceptable. Apple should do a subscription service, and then subsidize the AppleTV. Let's see, what else, while I'm at it ... turn the AppleTV into a media server ... maybe add in some P2P functionality to help with downloading ... eh what the heck, throw in a CableCard slot and DVR functionality ... also ... coldfusion reactor to power your house.

Rapmastac1
Sep 8, 2007, 12:58 PM
So it's 2.99 a rental and you can use it for 30 days? That aint bad, considering you can rent a movie at a movie store for about 5 bucks for 7 days... And you can't watch it on ur ipod.

Fluffymuff
Sep 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
Sure would! As long as the price is comprable to Netflix
Netflix <yawn> is so 2006.

Eric Lewis
Sep 8, 2007, 01:05 PM
So it's 2.99 a rental and you can use it for 30 days? That aint bad, considering you can rent a movie at a movie store for about 5 bucks for 7 days... And you can't watch it on ur ipod.

well you can! lol but its not legal

rentals on itunes for 3 bucks! heck yess!:apple:

LagunaSol
Sep 8, 2007, 01:07 PM
But will Apple pull their heads out and include *real* 5.1 digital surround sound or are we going to be stuck with some sort of weak substitute (i.e. Dolby Pro Logic)?

And I'd be thrilled with 720p rentals. If they're just 480p I may as well stick with Netflix. Which also gives me real surround sound...

iomar
Sep 8, 2007, 01:16 PM
This will be wonderful!! I know I will be a customer for rental when it is out. I never liked the idea of NetFlix or others like it. Because with my kids I know there is a good chance for DVDs to get damage or even lost in my house. If apple offers this service I will be the first to go and by an Apple TV and start renting. Right now I am paying so much for the video rental close to my house and I have paid so much for late fees and damaged videos that $2.99 will be very cheap for me. I can't wait!!!!

swagi
Sep 8, 2007, 01:18 PM
I agree. Apple has a real opportunity here to put an end to the format wars. Downloadable HD movie rentals is only a matter of time anyway. And it's the killer ap for Apple TV.

Just imagine you're spending a day in the park when you decide you want to watch True Lies when you get home. You just whip out your iPhone and program your Apple TV to start downloading the movie. When you get home, you fire up your Apple TV and start watching in 1080p. No more DVDs, HD-DVDs, Blu-Ray, Netflix or Blockbuster. In one swoop could come right out and be a real game changer.

With that measly HDD size on the Apple TV?

fastbite
Sep 8, 2007, 01:21 PM
But will Apple pull their heads out and include *real* 5.1 digital surround sound or are we going to be stuck with some sort of weak substitute (i.e. Dolby Pro Logic)?

And I'd be thrilled with 720p rentals. If they're just 480p I may as well stick with Netflix. Which also gives me real surround sound...

I see the first stage of rentals as fuel for the iPod touch more than the :apple:TV, it's a matter (will be a matter) of volume of units.

Rocketman
Sep 8, 2007, 01:22 PM
The rumored price was $2.99 for a 30 day rental and would allow films to be moved to at least one other device -- such as the iPod or iPhone.

Since this service and perhaps other yet released services will be limited to less than the usual 5 devices, it seems downloading to the proper primary device first is key. The addition of iTunes wifi makes that practical for the newest devices.

Rocketman

ju5tin81
Sep 8, 2007, 01:25 PM
I think renting through ITS is a great idea. I have a lot of DVD's, but on a MacBook, my HD would fill up with bought movies. Hence downloads to keep movies aren't the best for me.

Now renting a film, say for 2 GBP, would be a superb 'impulse rent' for me. (With my lackluster Virgin Broadband speeds, it'd need to start playing a quarter of the way through downloading or so, wouldn't want to wait for the whole thing.)

2 would be good for a 3 night rental (Plus 2 off if you wanted to keep it and buy it.) Blockbuster charge 4, and you have to go to the store, get it, hope the previous renters didn't scratch it, and make a special trip to return it.

I, as well as almost everyone I know, don't rent enough for a subscription to work. (Also don't need another outgoing monthly amount if there's nothing I like out at the time.)

JimmyDreams
Sep 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
It would be great if Apple introduced this as a feature of Apple TV (one of the best products that Apple came out with this year!).

Apple already included the iTunes Store login as an option for the Apple TV, so this makes sense.

I've only recently began investigating the :apple:TV and if they enable HD and make it iTunes rentable etc., I'll jump on it in a second.

I don't consider :apple:TV a 'hobbyist' venue at all. I think Apple is setting themselves up to be the forerunner in a completely wireless and digital home/portable entertainment system that is complete, completely seamless and portable. How much cooler would THAT be?? Goodbye hard media, hello Apple Home(tm by me)!!

JimmyD
:apple::apple::apple::apple:

ju5tin81
Sep 8, 2007, 01:29 PM

I'm not sure if you are the target audience for this.

This is renting a film 'for the rest of us'. If you need the 'full experience' then I think you may have to wait a bit longer. Just my thoughts...

ju5tin81
Sep 8, 2007, 01:33 PM
I don't consider :apple:TV a 'hobbyist' venue at all. I think Apple is setting themselves up to be the forerunner in a completely wireless and digital home/portable entertainment system that is complete, completely seamless and portable. How much cooler would THAT be?? Goodbye hard media, hello Apple Home(tm by me)!!

JimmyD
:apple::apple::apple::apple:

Just be sure your main computer aint a laptop... Close the lid, whoops film stops... :D

beelzeben
Sep 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
Hmm, I can't see this being a Blu-ray/HD-DVD killer.

Where would Apple be getting these HD moviesfrom? The studios who have already invested in Blu-ray/HD DVD?

Don't get me wrong, sounds like a great idea but as ever the studios would probably thwart it for the time being.

zorinlynx
Sep 8, 2007, 01:39 PM
I don't like where this is going at all.

Right now Apple DRM does not depend on any central server once you authorize to view content. Meaning, if Apple were to revoke your right to listen to music or view your TV shows tomorrow, you could restore from a backup before the revoke and watch your stuff again, as well as burn audio CDs of any music you don't want to lose access to.

In order for Apple to implement movie rentals, there will have to be a central authentication system for the DRM. This means they can transparently apply it to other content, and have the ability to truly revoke access to your media at any time (since rental media would have to be revoked after the rental period).

This is bothersome. It provides the potential for Apple's DRM to become more invasive, and makes my "oh ****" senses tingle.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I the lone paranoid cat in the house?

-Z

motulist
Sep 8, 2007, 01:47 PM
In order for Apple to implement movie rentals, there will have to be a central authentication system for the DRM.

No, you're wrong. All that has to happen is that when the video file is downloaded a "date-of-download" is embedded in the file. Then when you go to play the video on your iPod, iPhone, or computer, (which are all date aware) it will see if today's date is 30 days later than the DL date, and if so it will refuse to play the file and tell you it is expired.

And don't think you can just manually adjust the date on your device to get the video to play, there are many easy ways to ensure that doesn't work.

GeekLawyer
Sep 8, 2007, 01:50 PM
Right now Apple DRM does not depend on any central server once you authorize to view content. Meaning, if Apple were to revoke your right to listen to music or view your TV shows tomorrow, you could restore from a backup before the revoke and watch your stuff again, as well as burn audio CDs of any music you don't want to lose access to.

-Z

No, I would be worried about this, too. But... actually... if my memory is correct, Apple has changed the terms of FairPlay on us before. In prior versions of iTunes, we could burn as many CD's of DRM'd content we wanted. It was then dropped to 7 and I think we're down to 5 now. So, in a way, that cat is already out of the bag.

twoodcc
Sep 8, 2007, 02:04 PM
i think it would be okay. i'm not that interested in it though

Xander562
Sep 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
THIS is what i've been waiting for. I would actually buy an :apple:TV now. It would totally be worth it for my family. We ALWAYS rent but never buy to own. Plus at that price? C'mon now. :) Hope it's true.

kzin
Sep 8, 2007, 02:27 PM
Sure would! As long as the price is comprable to Netflix as an example I would but an :apple: TV in a heart beat! Been patiently awaiting this! :cool:

2 or 3 people have mentioned Netflix ...

I have to agree that this sounds GREAT. It would probably make me buy an :apple: TV as well as go out and get an iPhone (as was discussed in another thread, I just chose a Nokia N800 over an iPod Touch, but am still open to an iPhone).

And, a few months ago when there were discussions about "subscription model for iTunes", the thing I, and a couple others, kept bringing up is: I don't tend to buy movies, I tend to rent them. Sounds like someone at Apple was paying attention. But the added wrinkle is: I don't rent them per-movie. I rent them by subscription, via Netflix.

And that's what this is going to require for me to buy in: a subscription option.

Ideally, I could have all 4 choices available:

1) Buy individual music (songs/albums)
2) Buy individual videos (movies, TV)
3) Subscription of some form for music
4) Subscription of some form for videos

If the subscription model is "unlimited per month" (as netflix is in theory, but not exactly in practice*) then that'd be good. In fact, that'd be best.

(* netflix will throttle your exchange rate to be slower if you're turning around movies too quickly, so you might get 2 day turn around if you're only doing it once a month, but if you do it every 2 days, you can expect to start seeing 3 or 4 day turn around after a while ... at least, they used to ... there might have been a lawsuit about it, and I don't remember the outcome of that)

If it's "X movies per month", then I'd almost prefer it to be "X movies per payment" ... so if I get 5 movies per month, and I rent all 5 in the first week of October, I can either wait until November for 5 more, or I can pay again and get 5 more movies during October. Further, if I'm going to be in Timbuktu for a month, I can not pay for that month since I probably wont use my 5 movies.

But, as I said, unlimited per month would be best.

I'd probably not only ditch Netflix at that point, I'd ditch HBO, Showtime, and a few other things. I might keep enough DirecTV/Cable to catch the Discover/Science/History/Learning channel stuff that doesn't seem to be on the iTunes store ... but that might be about the extent of it.

kzin
Sep 8, 2007, 02:31 PM
720p, max, probably. Download times would be too long for anything more. DVD quality, min, which would be perfectly acceptable. Apple should do a subscription service, and then subsidize the AppleTV. Let's see, what else, while I'm at it ... turn the AppleTV into a media server ... maybe add in some P2P functionality to help with downloading ... eh what the heck, throw in a CableCard slot and DVR functionality ... also ... coldfusion reactor to power your house.

Except for the coldfusion reactor, and the P2P functionality, I don't think the rest of this is very unreasonable.

I don't think the :apple: TV is the media server, I think your Mac is. The :apple: TV is just one of the delivery devices for media.

But, having a cablecard slot on some receiver device (on my Mac probably) that would feed into iTunes would be good. Does eyeTV have a cablecard device yet? That might make me switch from DirecTV to cable at some point, if they did.

MacFly123
Sep 8, 2007, 02:31 PM
Steve said that Apple T.V. would be seeing an update soon. I'll bet anything it will be the wireless iTunes store with movie rentals :) Now that will sell a LOT more Apple T.V.s :) Can't wait to see :apple:

Questions: How fast would the downloads be? What resolution? Price, etc.?

zedsdead
Sep 8, 2007, 02:35 PM
720p tops...since that is the highest the Apple Tv allows for, no 1080p yet. Might even be the psueso HD (960x540) that Apple is trying to push...

Seems we might be able to buy the movie after the rental...thus is cool if the rental fee goes towards the purchase price.

DaBrain
Sep 8, 2007, 02:40 PM
Netflix <yawn> is so 2006.

Well that's your opinion. But I like not driving to stores to get and return DVD's. I also like their streaming service also included in my monthly fee. I get 17 hours per month in addition to 3 DVD's at a time.

So it's so 2006? What do you get and what's the cost of it?

Please tell me a better solution that's better and not so 2006ish!

To each their own, but that's what it would take for me to get an apple tv.

:D

Porchland
Sep 8, 2007, 02:41 PM

I agree. Movie rentals and some kind of TV shows subscription are the two killer apps that will make :apple:tv go more mainstream.

b3beater
Sep 8, 2007, 02:42 PM
actually if you look close at the screen shot it also shows that there is a itunes list for items/songs downloaded from Acquisition....

For God's sake...

Don't tell me people are still downloading songs illegally... :D

kzin
Sep 8, 2007, 02:44 PM
In order for Apple to implement movie rentals, there will have to be a central authentication system for the DRM.

Not necessarily. There could just be a time-bomb within the individual DRM'ed file itself. They would need to re-encrypt the file for every download (but, if they're able to limit you to replay on certain devices, they probably already do something like that anyway), so that each download has a unique expiration time.

So, when your player goes to view a movie, if it's within the 30 day window encoded in that movie's file, then it will play. If not, then the player says "you're past the movie rental date, you need to re-download it".

The other option is that you also download authorization signatures into your player that give you the right to watch a certain rental movie file for a window of time. Then, if you miss your time window, you don't have to re-download the movie, just get a new authorization signature.

Neither of those require that you have a live, central, connected authority at the time you watch the movie. The latter one does require some form of central source of auth signatures, but then, you've already got that in a way: the iTunes store itself. But, my two schemes don't require an invasive and connected authority. And, if the authority dies today (ala divx), then your rentals are still good for X days. You just wont be able to rent new ones after that.

Porchland
Sep 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
I don't think the :apple: TV is the media server, I think your Mac is. The :apple: TV is just one of the delivery devices for media.

A rental type of service on :apple:tv removes the notion of a media server from the equation because you're not archiving the stuff.

irun5k
Sep 8, 2007, 02:54 PM
For the casual move watcher, this service would be the most economical:

Local Blockbuster Rental:
--$4.99
--confusing rental period...usually 2 days but no late fees unless it is really late. huh?
--often movies are unavailable
--requires pick up and return of media

Oceanic Cable Video on Demand:
--$3.99
--24 hr period
--Movies are always available, but selection is limited
--No return required

DVD Rental Kiosk:
--$.99
--1 day
--Limited selection

So basically this service would compete most heavily with VOD... but almost certainly with a better selection, much longer period, and portability to at least one device. The only negatives I can possibly see are download times.

bdkennedy1
Sep 8, 2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah....that cryptic menu just popped up.

kimble3
Sep 8, 2007, 03:14 PM
DVD Rental Kiosk:
--$.99
--1 day
--Limited selection

I've noticed these kiosks in several grocery stores around my area and they are a very intriguing deal. What if there were such a thing as an iTunes kiosk though? You just plug in your iPod and you could buy songs/movies or even rent movies. It would work like the new wireless iTunes store they just announced. Once you get home and plug your iPod into your computer, the purchased content would be synced up to your iTunes library.

These could have a very compelling business model. Businesses would love having them because they would be basically maintenance free and could provide a percentage of all sales (updates and new content could be downloaded electronically) They could start popping up all over the place. Also, this could be a better way to get high-def video to people who don't have lots of bandwidth. Rental pricing could be very competitive too since there would be no overhead.

Sheradon
Sep 8, 2007, 03:24 PM

-Z

Are you sure about this ? I have my dought because Apple tracks the number of authorised computer a title is assigned to. I had a motherboard failure that was replaced and i had to get Itune support to remove the CPU on the Itunes server. So there is a notion of where media is played at apple already today. They could allow only one CPU per rental and that would be the way they could track where it goes.

I would not be supprised also that rentals works only on the newer devices, the old IPOD's did not had a permanent clock which is required to have time based content.

My 2 cents

Cheers !

irun5k
Sep 8, 2007, 03:27 PM
I've noticed these kiosks in several grocery stores around my area and they are a very intriguing deal. What if there were such a thing as an iTunes kiosk though? You just plug in your iPod and you could buy songs/movies or even rent movies. It would work like the new wireless iTunes store they just announced. Once you get home and plug your iPod into your computer, the purchased content would be synced up to your iTunes library.

Placement is often the key too, and it seems like the kiosk folks know this. Often the kiosks aren't buried somewhere where you'd have to pay to park, walk forever, and then finally get to it. They're in places where you can stop on the way home.

An iTMS kiosk is definitely compelling for those larger downloads. I wonder who would own and operate them though? The kiosk would have to have a forward cache of all the content you'd want to buy. Hmmm... maybe while they're installing all this stuff in Starbucks they should just go ahead and make Starbucks the kiosk. The whole open-air store could be the kiosk?

bluedoggiant
Sep 8, 2007, 03:41 PM
thinksecret posted sumthing like this a while back, the name of the article was take two: itunes store movie rentals

SthrnCmfrtr
Sep 8, 2007, 03:54 PM
Wonder how this fits in with those old rumors that bittorrent technology would be incorporated into Leopard.

AirborneAngel
Sep 8, 2007, 04:26 PM
Would this be a temporary movie file downloaded to the computer, or would you physically receive a dvd in the mail? Either way, sounds good!

Peace
Sep 8, 2007, 04:34 PM
Apple will team up with NetFlix for this service.

It was rumored a few months ago remember?

I'd say middle/end of September we see it.Right before Leopard release.

tribulation
Sep 8, 2007, 04:38 PM

I'd finally buy an iTV also if it had a TV subscription ---> UNLIMITED would be required otherwise it wouldn't even be an option for me and I imagine most others.

Add a Netflix style movie download shop, unlimited downloads also [as Netflix is now] or a realistic limit per month and I'd pay double than the iTV sells for now. Since Netflix is unlimited but has the advantage [on their side] of taking a few days in the mail to limit the actual real number of 'unlimited' movies you get, I'd expect there wouldn't be a good way for Apple to compete or make a viable option for completely unlimited downloads. At the normal 3-at-a-time Netflix package with unlimited per month for about $18, even .99 would be pushing it though. Again this is where a specific package of a set price [people LOVE set prices. people don't like to think about keeping track of everchanging bills. I think most people like the option of having a set price per month and getting x amount of things for it. No brains required, and yes I'm talking about us lazy movie watchers].

I really hope they add a viable and attractive TV subscription service to this. It would literally change the entire industry overnight and I don't think that's just a fantasy, I think it really would. Until a few years ago, cable companies [and telco companies] thought, rather stupidly insisted that they would be around forever. There wasn't much to stop them from ridiculous overpricing. If Apple pulled this off in a way that made users happy and the TV networks at least content, the world would be forever changed. Every livingroom and person would finally have some type of option to get around the giant 'untouchable' cable giants for good. I'd love to see the look on Comcast, Time Warner, Adelphia, etc's faces when that service is announced by an industry outsider.

A nice dream? Surely yes! Impossible, no. Likely, I really have no idea but can sure hope.

cube
Sep 8, 2007, 04:40 PM
Well, I'm refraining from watching any more SD movies until I get a Mac with HD DVD drive.

Dagless
Sep 8, 2007, 04:44 PM

Ah yes. Attaining media away from the computer. It's a fantastic pipe dream, slowly coming into light through that iTunes mini store thing.

The number of people I know with iPods and without computers is quite surprising. They always come to me with piles of CD's. But without a computer they can't get an AppleTV.

JesterJJZ
Sep 8, 2007, 04:48 PM

Am I the only person left on the planet that doesn't like digital distribution? I for I like having a hardcopy of my content. You have backup things you download, and stamped CDs and DVDs are much more durable than any recordable media. Downloaded materials are alot much more compressed. I want the highest quality possible. Why download an album on iTunes for $9.99 when I can get a used CD on Amazon for the same or cheaper? The CD is much better quality and I have a backup.

thunderclap
Sep 8, 2007, 04:51 PM
With that measly HDD size on the Apple TV?

Considering there hasn't been any upgrades made to the :apple:TV since it was introduced I would suspect if and when Apple starts a rental system through iTunes it would be an ideal time to update the :apple:TV. Bigger hard drive and whatnot.

offwidafairies
Sep 8, 2007, 04:55 PM
i confess that i am a serial torrent downloader... but if i could rent movie thru iTunes for $2.99, there's a good chance that my torrent days would end... it's not so much that i want it for free, it's more that i just don't want to have to leave my cozy apartment, get in my car, drive to the video store in the rain, search for a movie i can't find, etc...

sure, there already are services for movie rentals online... but i don't like them...

heh heh we are like peas in a pod ;)

displaced
Sep 8, 2007, 04:58 PM
actually if you look close at the screen shot it also shows that there is a itunes list for items/songs downloaded from Acquisition....

For God's sake...

Don't tell me people are still downloading songs illegally... :D

That'd be because David Watanabe who posted the image is the developer of Acquisition ;)

[edit: see the copyright notice right at the bottom of http://acquisitionx.com/ ]

jesteraver
Sep 8, 2007, 05:06 PM
I just wish itunes service here in Canada would have tv shows and movies :mad:

jholzner
Sep 8, 2007, 05:18 PM
Considering there hasn't been any upgrades made to the :apple:TV since it was introduced I would suspect if and when Apple starts a rental system through iTunes it would be an ideal time to update the :apple:TV. Bigger hard drive and whatnot.

Well, they did add 160GB model to the line up.

GeekLawyer
Sep 8, 2007, 05:31 PM
Well, they did add 160GB model to the line up.

And as I think about my :apple:TV experience, the streaming on my .g wireless network has been outstanding. I have high-bit-rate/file-size encodes that stream without an issue over my network. So, if I can store the media in my iTunes library on my 500Gb external firewired into my iMac and share with just my :apple:TV, I'm good. For most uses I can imagine, the HDD in the :apple:TV is just there for ballast and buffering. :cool:

reno
Sep 8, 2007, 05:34 PM
to make the itunes movie store a serious venture, apple really needs to offer movie rentals. i think music is much different than movies. i will listen to the same song over and over again (and therefore want to buy to own), but rarely do the same with movies (i'd rather watch another movie than the same one over and over again). occasionally, i do watch the same movies again, but the ratio is like 1 to 10 of repeat vs. new movie. i think a rental service would work in everyone's favor: apple, the studios and us consumers. bring it on!
p.s. while they're at, they might want to also consider a rental version of the season pass for TV shows.

Analog Kid
Sep 8, 2007, 05:43 PM
I'd have to say Apple is not on their toes. Leak after leak are proving accurate. (Although this is a programming slip-up, it still goes with the flow of less real surprises)
This actually tells us a lot about how Apple develops... I'm surprised to see they include development code in releases. I would have expected them to branch the code base when they start working on a new feature... This is far from the first time this has happened, and you'd think it would lead to stability issues.

zorinlynx
Sep 8, 2007, 05:57 PM
Yes, Apple keeps track of how many computers you authorize, but the authorization is just a simple file on your computer that contains the encryption key which is hashed with your machine's serial number.

In fact, there's a trick to get more than five authorizations where you back up this special file, deauthorize the computer, restore that special file, then authorize a sixth machine. The machine you "cheated" on will be able to play the downloaded music forever unless you try to authorize it under a different account, at which point Apple's server will go "hey, you're not authorized" and remove the errant authorization.

I like this way. It keeps honest people honest, while at the same time giving you a way to play/recover your hard-earned music collection if Steve Jobs throws a tantrum and shuts down the iTunes store. Provided you have good backups of course. :)

-Z

Are you sure about this ? I have my dought because Apple tracks the number of authorised computer a title is assigned to. I had a motherboard failure that was replaced and i had to get Itune support to remove the CPU on the Itunes server. So there is a notion of where media is played at apple already today. They could allow only one CPU per rental and that would be the way they could track where it goes.

I would not be supprised also that rentals works only on the newer devices, the old IPOD's did not had a permanent clock which is required to have time based content.

My 2 cents

Cheers !

synth3tik
Sep 8, 2007, 05:58 PM
The only thing cool about the iTunes movie rentals is Netflix instant watching thing is still windows only.

Mgkwho
Sep 8, 2007, 06:12 PM
It seemed as if--even with the amount of announcements--some things were missing from Wednesday's shindig.

1) No beatles
2) No movie deal

3) No storage increases for shuffle & nano
4) No bluetooth and built in radio for nano & classic

I think the reason for lack of capacity increases are based on the market. Either Apple won't pay higher prices, or the shortages are affecting the lower-end flash market.

I would hope for this to be resolved come MacWorld; that would allow 2GB & 4GB shuffles with 8GB, 12GB, & 16GB nanos next fall.

Maybe Apple will never include radio. But why, then, do they sell $49 the accessory? Is the actual price too expensive to include by default in iPods? If digital radio is the future, and the classic and nano never have wifi, how are they supposed to have radio? I would really really love an FM tuner.

But what I don't get: why not include bluetooth for wireless syncing? Is it also too expensive?

-=|Mgkwho

Fluffymuff
Sep 8, 2007, 06:17 PM
Well that's your opinion. But I like not driving to stores to get and return DVD's. I also like their streaming service also included in my monthly fee. I get 17 hours per month in addition to 3 DVD's at a time.

So it's so 2006? What do you get and what's the cost of it?
Blockbuster, because it now out-netflixes netflix with in-store exchange. Best of both worlds. I also like downloading from iTunes (Netflix download doesn't work with macs). The only problem with Blockbuster is that they are always handing out coupons that are too confusing to figure out how to use.

Please tell me a better solution that's better and not so 2006ish!
2002: Blockbuster
2003: Blockbuster (+Netflix)
2004: Netflix
2005: Netflix
2006. Netflix (+Blockbuster)
2007: Blockbuster (+ iTunes)
2008: Blockbuster + iTunes
2009: iTunes

:)

Random Ping
Sep 8, 2007, 07:12 PM

I love my AppleTV. Video podcasts are much more enjoyable watching on TV while sitting in my recliner, and I've downloaded a number of TV shows too. Even audio podcasts (like NPR's Science Fridays) are enjoyable through the stereo while relaxing in an easy chair.

However, video rental will be the killer-app for AppleTV. If Apple brings this out, they will continue separating me from my money.

Random Ping
Sep 8, 2007, 07:18 PM
That would be really really great. Because people ususally don't want to own movies in contrast to music. I watch a movie once. THats it. I listen to my music sometimes a hundred times.

Ding, ding, ding. And we have a winner! That pretty much sums up why there should be two different financial models for two different media types.

Random Ping
Sep 8, 2007, 07:32 PM
720p tops...since that is the highest the Apple Tv allows for, no 1080p yet.

Knowing Apple, they will release a DVD-quality version at 480p, then later you will be able to re-rent the same movie at HD of 720p. And then still later you can re-re-rent the same movie at a "true" HD of 1080p. :D

Random Ping
Sep 8, 2007, 07:40 PM
Am I the only person left on the planet that doesn't like digital distribution? I for I like having a hardcopy of my content.

I thoroughly agree... for some content. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc., are movies that I am going to buy on commercial DVDs (and usually multiple times in different versions and formats :p). I like the quality, the longevity, the extras, the case, etc.

However, for most movies and TV shows, I just want to watch them once.

BoyBach
Sep 8, 2007, 07:42 PM
Rental (not renal!) movies would be fantastic. So long as they're also available outside the USA!

r6girl
Sep 8, 2007, 07:47 PM
i would do rental movies through itunes. in fact, this would be perfect since i now have a commute on the train and i watch shows on my iphone all the time. i haven't purchased a lot of movies from the itunes store since i'm not sure if i'll like them and i don't want to pay full price if that's the case.

what they need to make sure they do is add an option to buy after you've rented it - at least allow people to pay only the remaining amount of the full price after the rental.

SPUY767
Sep 8, 2007, 08:24 PM
I was hoping some :apple: TV needs woould be released last Wednesday. I want to put my apple:TV to more use then it is now (only using for music, podcast, YouTube viewing which overall is lame).

New Apple TVs will come when a rental service is announced, with the double, and possibly triple whammy of goodness, too many people will be unable to resist.

javaGuru
Sep 8, 2007, 09:00 PM
I'm just waiting for the complaints that Apple might actually be charging money for movie rentals to come rolling in. Or better yet, i'm sure there will be a hack for this coming out shortly so no one will have to pay for this service. :)

imlucid
Sep 8, 2007, 09:03 PM

You know its funny, I have touted this same logic myself and then look up to my shelf and see over 200 DVDs and realize that its not true. While I may not watch a movie over and over, there is something about owning it that is attractive. Its the same way I feel about books. I love collecting books and have many bookshelves full of books I will only read once or twice!

Go figure :D

Kevin

inkswamp
Sep 8, 2007, 09:16 PM
This seems like a candidate for an intentional leak.

Apple has thus far had to drag the music, TV and movie industry by the nose to get them to embrace digital downloads. Part of the problem is that those industries must rethink their traditional revenue streams in order for this to work and it appears that they are not willing to go all the way. Witness the way Apple, even now, has a hard time retaining some of them.

So, what a better way to send shockwaves through those very groups but to signal, surreptitiously via the rumor sites (so it can simultaneously be denied) that there is a rental system in the pipeline. It's a nice little treat for the rumor site regulars but even moreso, it's something to make those content providers who are sitting on the fence quake in their boots. So, NBC thinks Amazon's Unbox is the way to go? I think a movie and TV rental service on iTunes would all but wipe the playing field clean. I seriously don't see how any competitors could survive in that atmosphere. And knowing that, I imagine some execs at NBC might be having some very unpleasant dreams in the coming weeks and doing some serious soul-searching when it comes to their attitude toward iTunes.

I could be totally off-base, but this big a gaffe seems really unlikely to have been an accident. The only other time it has happened was the G5 "premature specification." Not much of a history for accidental slips on Apple's part.

iSlicer
Sep 8, 2007, 10:03 PM
Hi guys, whats with all the blanket comments such as:
"People don't want to own movies, they watch them once like me. People want music because I listen to a song maybe 100~1000 times."
Well, that's great. For you. I hope when apple snoops are reading these pages they actually don't pay too much attention. Because I FOR one, love owning my own films, because I actually watch them more than once. Remember not too long ago, all those images of the "Fat Boy" that were leaked? A lot of people started protesting that Apple had lost the plot. Since the Keynote, most have changed their tunes. I am glad they didn't run back to the drawing board, because "to me" it's a fantastic product.

All I know is, we all have differenet requirements when it comes to online purchases and how we consume media. I hope Apple can give us a diverse range of options for purchasing / renting. They own the market, so I guess until now, they have been doing something right.

Detlev
Sep 8, 2007, 10:20 PM
3) No storage increases for shuffle & nano
4) No bluetooth and built in radio for nano & classic

I'm with you there on No. 3 and bluetooth but I just don't understand the continuous request for radio. If most markets are like the Boston market then why would anyone want radio? All they do is talk and play ads. Good radio is gone. Give me music or give me dead air!

Note: I just paid a visit to another market and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the stations were. Let's hope the influences of corporate radio here don't spread into your area.

Peace
Sep 8, 2007, 10:30 PM
I'm with you there on No. 3 and bluetooth but I just don't understand the continuous request for radio. If most markets are like the Boston market then why would anyone want radio? All they do is talk and play ads. Good radio is gone. Give me music or give me dead air!

Note: I just paid a visit to another market and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the stations were. Let's hope the influences of corporate radio here don't spread into your area.

You can thank Clear Channel for that.

RichP
Sep 8, 2007, 10:31 PM

I dont understand the desire for wireless syncing (too slow, doesnt charge the device, and burns the batteries up in the process) or radio..

This was only a matter of time. Apple refreshed the entire iPod line for a reason. They all play video now (save the shuffle obviously) and, perhaps, they have some hardware aspects that make them compatible with a future DRM scheme for rental video. Of course, that means our iPhones also have said hardware. Someone should investigate!

Mykbibby
Sep 9, 2007, 12:04 AM
God let's hope so! That would be awesome for my Apple TV!

thunderclap
Sep 9, 2007, 12:49 AM
My view is this: I don't have the time or patience for movie theaters much these days primarily due to the audience. It's not fun when someone cell goes off, people have loud conversations, or parents bring their six month old to a show. It's not a pleasant experience. What the studios SHOULD do is do digital rental and theatrical release the same day. And if that isn't an option fine... I still would like to easily rent a movie digitally before deciding to go out and buy the DVD. I use Blockbuster.com right now but the days between returning and getting your new DVD sucks. When I decide to watch a movie I want to watch it right now. I don't want the hassle of having to wait a few days or driving to the local Blockbuster.

And while pay-per-view is a good step it sucks for those of us who have Tivo and can't access our cable providers pay-per-view content.

I've held off on buying an :apple:TV because I don't want to spend $14.99 on a gamble. If they make rental an option then I will gladly give Apple my $299.

phytonix
Sep 9, 2007, 12:57 AM
if the price is right, I will cancel my netflix.
Netflix watch now is windows only, which pisses me off.

phillipjfry
Sep 9, 2007, 01:28 AM
I would love to see how this is implemented, if you dont get to watch the full thing, or your computer crashed before you watched the whole thing, i have a hard time seeing how this will be taken care of during issues where ur computer craps out or u have to leave for that emergency thing that happens

I noticed the reference to "AccidentalPurchase-RenalMovie".

Why would Apple assume that accidental purchases would be exclusively for movies about kidneys?

:confused:

yea....you seen one movie about kidneys...you've pretty much seen 'em all! :)

s10
Sep 9, 2007, 01:30 AM
Rental is the way! Start watching while you're downloading a must. a combination with Netflix would be a hit!

davedelong
Sep 9, 2007, 02:38 AM
I registered just so I could post this comment...

I think that this is true (gosh i hope it is). I hope that Apple offers a couple different pricing models. One might be where you rent an individual movie for, say, $2.99 and get the whole 30 day viewing deal on any two devices. But as a low-income college student, I would much rather see a Netflix-style subscription basis, where you pay something like $20 - $25 a month and get any number of movies you want.

The advantage of this would be that the people who want to watch the occasional movie would get their easy price ($2.99), but the "hardcore" movie addicts would get an amazingly awesome deal of being able to download and watch, say, a movie a day for the price it would cost to buy 1 or 2.

On top of that, I expect that we'll see the iTunes WiFi store come to the :apple:TV. It's already got the wireless connection, and even if a home doesn't necessarily have a wireless router, all Macs with a wireless card also have the "Internet Sharing" preference, basically turning the Mac into a wireless router. So think about it. You're sitting there on your couch thinking "what should I do this evening?" So you activate your :apple:TV, start browsing the store, find a movie you want to watch, start downloading it, watch it, and have it automatically synced to your Mac for viewing (again) later, if you want.

Holy cow that would be freaking sweet.

Dave

jecapaga
Sep 9, 2007, 03:18 AM
You can thank Clear Channel for that.

funny. you can thank them of clearing the radio of actual music and providing a clear channel for ads.

jecapaga
Sep 9, 2007, 03:23 AM
The early September ipod thing is over, which they have done in the past. I usually don't expect much until January from here on out so is there a 'traditional' time that apple announces such a significant new feature that possibly touches apple tv, ipod touch, iphone and obviously itunes? Leopard release perhaps.

Yvan256
Sep 9, 2007, 07:09 AM
TV shows for 0.99$ and movie rental at 2.99$? Bring it on... in Canada! ;)

happylittlemac
Sep 9, 2007, 08:04 AM
Not a bad idea for movies, but not for music. However I don't think the media industries will take to this idea, they seem to be leaving Apple for their own distribution methods, this will create a fragmented digital media world full of problems and DRM.

Thomas2006
Sep 9, 2007, 08:20 AM

In order for Apple to implement movie rentals, there will have to be a central authentication system for the DRM. This means they can transparently apply it to other content, and have the ability to truly revoke access to your media at any time (since rental media would have to be revoked after the rental period).

This is bothersome. It provides the potential for Apple's DRM to become more invasive, and makes my "oh ****" senses tingle.

-Z
Wouldn't Apple just have to include the date of the rental in the DRM that is already included with movies now so when you play the movie iTunes checks the date to see if you are still eligible to watch it? I know some people would screw around with the date to bypass this check, but most people would use it as it is intended.

GregA
Sep 9, 2007, 08:27 AM

Movie rental for $3 seems reasonable - though I do wonder whether Apple should allow new releases to be more expensive to match Video store standards...

I'd also say $1 for TV show rental is too much, though I'm not sure. I know that when a studio sells a show to a TV channel they get paid far far less per viewer than $1... and I'm a firm believer in "halve the price, triple your customers".

AppleTV is restricted to 720p and 5Mbps. Even if Apple can somehow make 1080p work, they can't go beyond the 5Mbps... and at that bitrate we're better off sticking to 720p. Hell... even 960x540p would be a nice step up (even for pal users... progressive video and greater horizontal res). And Dolby Digital is quite doable AFAIK.

Remember also that BluRay and HD-DVD is in the order of 30Mbps, not 5Mbps... so it does have the significant edge on quality!!!

They made them DVD resolution or higher and offered plans just like netflix and the others. Like $29.99/mo for 5 movies at a time unlimited rentals per month. That would be reallllllly great.

You can't offer "5 movies at a time" when there's no postal system involved. "1 movie at a time" or "10 movies at a time" would be identical in practice, since you can't watch 2 movies at once (well, most people can't).

But yes... there are 3 possible models
1) buy
2) rent
3) subscribe per month (with whatever restrictions are applied).

I'd love to see rental on AppleTV.
In Australia :)

GregA
Sep 9, 2007, 08:46 AM
I'd finally buy an iTV also if it had a TV subscription ---> UNLIMITED would be required otherwise it wouldn't even be an option for me and I imagine most others.

This is not economically viable...in any form.

The only argumet for this would be "unlimited downloads of any content for a low monthly fee would kill piracy instantly"... but really, this is just not doable.

pinksatin
Sep 9, 2007, 10:01 AM
Okay... If all of this happens - both the rental service and the access to the itunes music store- will it be a simple software upgrade or a whole new unit...

I just ordered a 160gb :apple:tv and might want to take it back if I would have to purchase another one to get these services...

Yvan256
Sep 9, 2007, 10:06 AM
Okay... If all of this happens - both the rental service and the access to the itunes music store- will it be a simple software upgrade or a whole new unit...

I just ordered a 160gb :apple:tv and might want to take it back if I would have to purchase another one to get these services...

The :apple:TV runs OS X, and as such can easily be updated by Apple for such things.

Don't forget they keep modifying the DRM for iTunes and my old 3rd generation iPod is still working fine with songs I buy, I just need to update the firmware when an update is available.

Andrew07
Sep 9, 2007, 12:08 PM
So if Apple does movie rentals, will they have access to ALL new releases? Or will they be limited to the studios they have for movie purchasing now

Fluffymuff
Sep 9, 2007, 12:32 PM
So if Apple does movie rentals, will they have access to ALL new releases? Or will they be limited to the studios they have for movie purchasing now
Neither. A rental system would presumably be built under new licencing agreements. While Netflix offers around 85,000 movies for DVD rental, they offer around 5,000 for download (I think). Apple raises the blood pressure of Movie executives more than Netflix does, but it's realistic to figure on a similar target number of potentially downloadable movies. Although it may just start with the latest from Disney. ;)

Random Ping
Sep 9, 2007, 12:41 PM

Probably a very limited set at first and then grow over time. They did it this way with music, TV shows, and movies, (and now songs for ringtones), so I would expect the same to be true with rentals.

The content owners (music, TV, movies) are a pretty stupid bunch who, as far as I can tell, hate their customers. They have to be dragged kicking and screaming to good decisions.

Random Ping
Sep 9, 2007, 12:47 PM
The :apple:TV runs OS X, and as such can easily be updated by Apple for such things.

I bought the :apple:TV when it first came out, and I absolutely love it. But... I do feel it is a little under powered, and I am concerned with its ability to keep up with 720p HD content (including keeping the audio synced) with lots of movement on the screen.

Waiting for an upgraded CPU would be the only reason I would recommend someone delay an :apple:TV purchase. Software, like you say, can easily be updated.

Random Ping
Sep 9, 2007, 12:52 PM
Because I FOR one, love owning my own films, because I actually watch them more than once. ... I hope Apple can give us a diverse range of options for purchasing / renting. They own the market, so I guess until now, they have been doing something right.

What I would love for Apple to do is provide a "buy hard copy" button for music, TV, and movies. If I watch a movie, TV show, or listen to a song and *really* like it, I would like to push a button and have the physical media mailed to me for a discount.

ipoddin
Sep 9, 2007, 01:20 PM
As I understand it, apple tv doesn't output 5.1 dolby audio, correct? Until that's resolved, I don't care if they offer movie rentals in 720p. I have a home theater setup in the living room and won't cripple it to watch DVD or HD movies without dolby surround.

It's a nice option if you want to rent movies for your ipod or iphone, so I'm interested in movie rentals for that only. But for apple tv, that's another story.

If I'm wrong, hey, I'm getting that iPhone $100 credit soon...

FreeState
Sep 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
So when would the announcement be? The early September ipod thing is over, which they have done in the past...

I was wondering earlier in the week about two things:

1) Why no Wi-Fi store for AppleTV?

and

2) Why didn't iTunes become iTunes 8.0 instead of 7.4 (the fall is usually when iTunes becomes the next whole number, at least for the last couple years. 7.X is a year old now)

I guess we might have an answer now. The announcement I would guess is coming when the studios sign the contracts :confused:

fastbite
Sep 9, 2007, 01:48 PM
As the poster 'csdb' posted in 9to5mac today, let's not forget the the litigation between BURST and Apple, such case may slow the possible release of rented content.
I hope 'csdb' dosn't mind but I'm quoting him here: "One more very important thing is keeping APPLE from releasing the Movie rental service. It is the BURST/APPLE current and on-going litigation. Some of you might know that Apple is being sued by BURST for unlawful usage of FTRT (Faster Than Real TIME) transfert technology" ... "So far the "Jury is out" on who is right and who is wrong. However, several key milestones in the trial are approaching fast and within the next few weeks we should know in which directions the scales are tilting".

irun5k
Sep 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
I dont understand the desire for wireless syncing (too slow, doesnt charge the device, and burns the batteries up in the process) or radio..

There is actually a case for wireless synching. To put it in perspective, keep in mind that my 20" iMac is in our living room and a super clean setup. It is on a glass desk with as few cables as possible. I even moved my router & cable modem to a hidden part of the house and use wireless now, since all the wires and devices sitting next to the iMac were fugly.

I can see a powered doc sitting somewhere in my house *away from the computer*. The doc would still charge my iPhone, yet it could sync wirelessly without being plugged into the iMac! Would save a USB port on my iMac also. And the dock could be in a more convenient place like where I usually put my keys and wallet.

I agree though, just wanting to sync from my couch with the iPhone in hand makes little to no sense.

zedsdead
Sep 9, 2007, 03:25 PM
As I understand it, apple tv doesn't output 5.1 dolby audio, correct? Until that's resolved, I don't care if they offer movie rentals in 720p. I have a home theater setup in the living room and won't cripple it to watch DVD or HD movies without dolby surround.

It's a nice option if you want to rent movies for your ipod or iphone, so I'm interested in movie rentals for that only. But for apple tv, that's another story.

If I'm wrong, hey, I'm getting that iPhone $100 credit soon...

The Apple TV does pass Dolby Pro Logic II, which embeds surround info in a stereo channel...this sounds pretty good when the reciever is set to decode it to surround...

The Apple TV also has a very powerful 7.1 Audio Decoder Chip...there has to be a reason for it...I imagine the HD downloads will have AAC 5.1...and maybe the Apple TV will decode that to Dolby or DTS on the fly...hopefully.

iDAG
Sep 9, 2007, 04:09 PM
I'm hoping to get an iPod Touch soon and even on my 5g iPod this would be gr8 cause I can't even watch video on my computer:( besides the fact that I'm on the go a lot and don't have much time to sit down and watch a movie.

JGowan
Sep 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'd have to say Apple is not on their toes. Leak after leak are proving accurate. (Although this is a programming slip-up, it still goes with the flow of less real surprises)I disagree. I think they do this kind of stuff on purpose. Their biggest asset in some ways is the rumor mill working itself up into a frenzy. "The Beat Goes On" is a perfect example of knowing The Beatles connection that most people would interpret this to mean... I think that type of stuff happens all the time. In fact, I would bet that there is a site or two that are (think) secretly ran by Apple to leak info themselves. Probably only a few people know it and there are no traces back to Apple, but I believe it's quite possible.

The biggest con they've got going is that they've got most people into believing that they don't want ANYONE to know what they're doing. It serves them well, though, when the public has a bit of the information because then they can generate all this publicity known as Mass Speculation.

BenRoethig
Sep 9, 2007, 05:54 PM

It would make that device go from useful to only a few to very useful for everybody. With the file size and lack of quality and features compared to DVDs, iTunes movies never made sense to me, especially if you're going to own a large collection. The ability to download a rental for a subscription fee and watch it on any TV, computer, or iPod makes a lot of sense to me.

bob5820
Sep 9, 2007, 06:01 PM

If movie rental from iTunes is to be successful, Apple will need to able to make use of the existing user base, which would mean a simple software update to existing units. Requiring a new unit would likely result in to small of a market to make the service profitable.

JGowan
Sep 9, 2007, 06:40 PM
Am I the only person left on the planet that doesn't like digital distribution? I for I like having a hardcopy of my content. You have backup things you download, and stamped CDs and DVDs are much more durable than any recordable media. Downloaded materials are alot much more compressed. I want the highest quality possible. Why download an album on iTunes for $9.99 when I can get a used CD on Amazon for the same or cheaper? The CD is much better quality and I have a backup.Why download from iTunes? I know that was a rhetorical question, but I'll give you some of my own reasons...

(1) Impulse watching: You're home and don't really want to go out to Blockbuster to get something or just returned from there because they were out of the movie you wanted. You want to watch tonight not buy something from Amazon and wait a week to have it. Buy it on iTunes.

(2) iPod Media: You want the movie on your iPod, but either you don't want to "break the law" by ripping a movie from a DVD; don't know how to rip a movie; don't have the time or are too lazy to do so. Buy it on iTunes.

(3) Cheaper: You just saw a movie for sale and it was more than $10. You (a) don't care to spend more than $10 and (b) don't care about the extras. Buy it on iTunes.

(4) Miss the TV Show: These days, you can afford to be out on a Wednesday ABC "Lost" night... the next day,... buy it on iTunes.

(5) Fill in the blank: lots of reasons to download it today. Buy it on iTunes.

Sure. There's some music/movies/tv shows in our lives that we want at the highest quality. We know we'll want to experience them over and over. We want all of the extra features and want the back up. We want to rip our music at the highest possible quality.... but then there are other music/movies/tv shows that we casually want to experience or we want for our iPod.

There's a few for you.

macUser2007
Sep 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
$2.99?!!!

Back to the '80s we go, when a VHS tape cost $50 to the video store, so rentals were $3 per movie.

This is crazy. The future is in a flat-fee, Netflix-like rentals. Netflix already streams, and the latest releases I can get on a DVD, including hidef format one, in one day.

Apple has to do better, or this is another nail in the coffin of Apple TV.

FreeState
Sep 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
$2.99?!!!

Back to the '80s we go, when a VHS tape cost $50 to the video store, so rentals were $3 per movie.

This is crazy. The future is in a flat-fee, Netflix-like rentals. Netflix already streams, and the latest releases I can get on a DVD, including hidef format one, in one day.

Apple has to do better, or this is another nail in the coffin of Apple TV.

Wow - so I guess Im not part of the "future" since I watch about 1 movie a month and cancelled my Netflix because it was a rip off for my viewing patterns.

The future as I see it is a system that supports more than one narrowly defined viewing pattern. I would never pay Apple $20 a month to watch unlimited movies - why? Because I on average only watch one movie a month that I can rent from Blockbuster for $3/$4 - and this is true for the majority of consumers.

GeekLawyer
Sep 9, 2007, 07:09 PM
The future as I see it is a system that supports more than one narrowly defined viewing pattern. I would never pay Apple $20 a month to watch unlimited movies - why? Because I on average only watch one movie a month that I can rent from Blockbuster for $3/$4 - and this is true for the majority of consumers.

This just points out the need for a selection of pricing options. There should be a per-movie option and some sort of flat-fee option. Other options could be obvious. x rentals per month for y dollar amount, or what have you.

Two things I can't imagine renting: music and episodes of TV shows. Sure, with Netflix I rent TV shows, but it just seems different when I think about renting an episode with :apple:TV. Which, I wonder, could be the reason that Apple wanted to reduce the per-episode cost to $.99...?

GregA
Sep 9, 2007, 07:10 PM

Yes. It is possible, I guess, that the deal with Starbucks has more far reaching goals than downloading music. A pre-cached set of 1000 (or many more) movies & TV shows could allow for very fast copying to your iPod. This neatly sidesteps any problems with home internet connections not being fast enough for now (depending on where you live, what you pay, etc).

Although you could just select while in Starbucks, I think with some effort it could move well beyond this. For instance, I imagine you could set your computer's iTunes preferences for how you want to pick up your movies, but making this a simple setup might not be simple!. eg: "download here, but off peak", or "load it onto my iPod when I go to starbucks", or "load onto my laptop when I go to starbucks". (I guess you could even say "load it onto my wife's iPod when she plugs it in at her work" or "load onto this laptop but only when I connect to my work network").

GregA
Sep 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
Am I the only person left on the planet that doesn't like digital distribution? I for I like having a hardcopy of my content. You have backup things you download, and stamped CDs and DVDs are much more durable than any recordable media.

Ahh.. but do you really want the 'hardcopy' for something you're renting?

Downloaded materials are alot much more compressed. I want the highest quality possible.

Fair enough for the AppleTV, but the only way to watch content on an iPod is more compressed anyway.

And if Apple offers HD content on the AppleTV, it will exceed the quality of a regular DVD (not as good as BluRay or HD-DVD though!)

paja
Sep 9, 2007, 07:50 PM
What is Apple waiting for?

I would love to:

(1) be able to rent a movie at $2.99 for that instant gratification. We absolutely loathe going to the local move theatres anymore. It's usually a lousy experience (crying babies, loudmouths and cell phones). Plus it's become exspensive as h&ll.

(2) give me the option of buying the DVD and have it shipped to me (at a competative price of course).

(3) I would also consider a monthly subscription of $9.99 for viewing 4 movies per month.

Do it already!

psychofreak
Sep 9, 2007, 07:56 PM
The internet (on the whole) is made for 1MB and 2MB internet. Its a pity, because I would gladly buy of iTunes if the quality was at least closer to HD than SD, and its feasible in many places outside of the US...

GeekLawyer
Sep 9, 2007, 08:07 PM
(2) give me the option of buying the DVD and have it shipped to me (at a competative price of course).

I completely agree with your other points. However, there is no circumstance in which I could imagine Apple ever selling hard entertainment media. I would say they only begrudgingly still sell software on DVD in Apple stores. After (nearly) perfecting the iTS concept which bypasses atoms in favor of bits, it would be a severe regression to press and send physical media through the mail.

The days of those long thin DVD slots on our Macs are numbered. Just have a look at your :apple:TV. The future is about bits and bytes, not pieces of plastic.

iSlicer
Sep 9, 2007, 08:12 PM
(there was no great place to post this)

Just a warning to early adopters... Chances are that they will update the new iPod touch some time within the space of 12 months. Maybe they will update twice. God, who knows, three times? (that's crazy) But you get my point. Don't complain if in a few months there is a 32GB version. Wow, could there even be a HDD version? I mean, it is coming, so be prepared. DON'T complain if you are soon to be out of date, because you know what... It is going to happen.

That is the end of my rant.

Curtis72
Sep 9, 2007, 09:14 PM
Why download from iTunes? I know that was a rhetorical question, but I'll give you some of my own reasons...

(1) Impulse watching: You're home and don't really want to go out to Blockbuster to get something or just returned from there because they were out of the movie you wanted. You want to watch tonight not buy something from Amazon and wait a week to have it. Buy it on iTunes.

(2) iPod Media: You want the movie on your iPod, but either you don't want to "break the law" by ripping a movie from a DVD; don't know how to rip a movie; don't have the time or are too lazy to do so. Buy it on iTunes.

(3) Cheaper: You just saw a movie for sale and it was more than $10. You (a) don't care to spend more than $10 and (b) don't care about the extras. Buy it on iTunes.

(4) Miss the TV Show: These days, you can afford to be out on a Wednesday ABC "Lost" night... the next day,... buy it on iTunes.

(5) Fill in the blank: lots of reasons to download it today. Buy it on iTunes.

Sure. There's some music/movies/tv shows in our lives that we want at the highest quality. We know we'll want to experience them over and over. We want all of the extra features and want the back up. We want to rip our music at the highest possible quality.... but then there are other music/movies/tv shows that we casually want to experience or we want for our iPod.

There's a few for you.
Number fits me perfectly. I have downloaded free stuff and a movie just to test out the download speed (the test case I had $10 bucks to burn).

So beyond the free stuff
1) Full season of an Anime series
2) Two episodes of My Name is Earl since my DVR screwed the recording up
3) Deathrace 2000 (the test case)
4) 7 music videos

If Apple wants me to download more iTunes besides, Audio they will need offer a reasonable price, offer it in 720p when possible, and add a movie rental service. Deathrace 2000 was a quirky 1970's B-Movie that I found entertaining but I don't need to "own" it.

jecapaga
Sep 9, 2007, 11:51 PM
I would definitely enjoy this if the resolution was better than what is current. Would be great to just get a movie with a couple clicks, watch it and be done without leaving the house and not owning it. I would finally start to use my apple tv beyond streaming photos and music.

rkelez
Sep 10, 2007, 02:00 AM
The internet (on the whole) is made for 1MB and 2MB internet. Its a pity, because I would gladly buy of iTunes if the quality was at least closer to HD than SD, and its feasible in many places outside of the US...

I have a 6 mb down which isn't common but the avg is a 1.5 mb dsl line people would start their download with. I would assume a couple minutes for my stuff to start and maybe 20 for someone elses movie to start? This is assuming a 720p film probably 4~5 mb. That is very reasonable i believe.

As for that unlimited plan. I would think of it as an access plan for a fee. Meaning for 20~30 a month, I have access to all itms movies whenever. I don't care how much i use it just wow, that would be awesome for when the boys or girlfriend is over and you can say what you want to watch, heres the list. It would be a great library to access. For the multi device users how bout 25 goes to 30 a month and you get 2 devices you can grab stuff for.

Maybe its just me but i would be interested in these lines for tv content as well. I canceled my dish subscription as i watched a lot less tv. I do like a few shows though and would be interested in the itunes model of movies were dreaming of with the addition of tv. So as i said we pay say 25 for movies right, unlimited monthly access, all movies. How about 50 monthly to throw tv in there too? This would also add heroes, lost, and other nicer shows with an HD option, but basically im just thinking of a flat fee for full monthly movie and tv access in HD (where possible of course). You could que up a bunch of stuff i guess if you want to using itunes or just stream when u want to watch. Just on demand done nice.

rkelez
Sep 10, 2007, 02:13 AM

I have a 6 mb down which isn't common but the avg is a 1.5 mb dsl line people would start their download with. I would assume a couple minutes for my stuff to start and maybe 20 for someone elses movie to start? This is assuming a 720p film probably 4~5 mb. That is very reasonable i believe.

As for that unlimited plan. I would think of it as an access plan for a fee. Meaning for 20~30 a month, I have access to all itms movies whenever. I don't care how much i use it just wow, that would be awesome for when the boys or girlfriend is over and you can say what you want to watch, heres the list. It would be a great library to access. For the multi device users how bout 25 goes to 30 a month and you get 2 devices you can grab stuff for.

Maybe its just me but i would be interested in these lines for tv content as well. I canceled my dish subscription as i watched a lot less tv. I do like a few shows though and would be interested in the itunes model of movies were dreaming of with the addition of tv. So as i said we pay say 25 for movies right, unlimited monthly access, all movies. How about 50 monthly to throw tv in there too? This would also add heroes, lost, and other nicer shows with an HD option, but basically im just thinking of a flat fee for full monthly movie and tv access in HD (where possible of course). You could que up a bunch of stuff i guess if you want to using itunes or just stream when u want to watch. Just on demand done nice. 160gb for those people who que a lot and 40 for streamers like me. That appeal to others or just my dream? What price would be good for that? 40~50 and heres my visa. i mean directv or dish are about that maybe 70 but this would be on demand and I think a lot more appealing.
Sports would be an x factor but that's what your non techie friends house is for. Is there comprable way apple could offer a live sports event stream? I know you can watch at NFL or NBA.com but those are streams of about 320x240.
Im pretty sure the tv thing isnt gonna happen just because lost and more popular shows wouldnt really be able to stand out sales wise with the subscription but maybe, isnt that how current cable works or is that all from commercials. I'm getter way too expectant now of something that probably won't come out for a while, where's my cave to hibernate awaiting an announcement.

mrgreen4242
Sep 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
You can BUY the show for 99cents, so I'm not sure what you are asking for? I'd like to see a method to bulk rent episodes, though. Pay $20 a month for the ability to watch 30 to 40 episodes that month (you could watch an episode more than once, and if you watched it again next month it would come out of your total for that month as well). You could get close to cutting the cable cord with that kind of system.

You can do this with Amazon Unboxed on TiVo right now. I can pick a movie I want to rent while I'm at work, or anywhere I have web access (an iPod Touch would work fine) and have it ready for viewing when I get home. The service is decent, and there's definitely room for improvement in the UI and integration that Apple could make, but it's not like they're the first to do this... I don't need to imagine doing this - I'm already doing it.

I really wish Apple had partnered with TiVo rather than develop the AppleTV, to be honest. The TiVo hardware/software was already really nice and adding some Apple touches and iTMS integration would have been excellent.

Just a warning to early adopters... Chances are that they will update the new iPod touch some time within the space of 12 months. Maybe they will update twice. God, who knows, three times? (that's crazy) But you get my point. Don't complain if in a few months there is a 32GB version. Wow, could there even be a HDD version? I mean, it is coming, so be prepared. DON'T complain if you are soon to be out of date, because you know what... It is going to happen.

Duh. Guess what else? If you buy an iMac now, they're going to release a new one sometime in the next year with a faster CPU, better GPU, bigger HDD and who knows what else! OMG! And if you buy a Zune, Microsoft might release a model with more storage and in HALO 3 green!!! I heard Dell has this plan to sell a bunch of computers with 2.0ghz CPUs and then start selling ones with 2.2ghz models in a month FOR THE SAME PRICE! Crazy!

Sports would be an x factor but that's what your non techie friends house is for. Is there comprable way apple could offer a live sports event stream? I know you can watch at NFL or NBA.com but those are streams of about 320x240.

Even non-live sports downloads would be great... If I could get them a day after the even is over, it would be enough for me. I would subscribe to a deal to get all of a teams games that way, commercial free, or with limited sponsorships. Personally, I'd pay to get the complete games for the Red Wings (NHL/ice hockey team for you non-Americans) and I'd also pay for a highlights/recap type package for the Tigers (baseball team, again for the non-Americans) with the option to upgrade certain games to the full version for a fee. I like to watch entire Hockey games, but I just follow baseball. I'd probably only want 720p level, though. Sports is one of those things that HD was just made for...

Yvan256
Sep 10, 2007, 10:58 AM
You can do this with Amazon Unboxed on TiVo right now.

Depends who you're talking to.

Amazon Unboxed = Windows-only.
TIVo = USA-only.

Granted, there's still no movies or TV shows in the Canadian iTunes Store, but it's only a matter of licensing and adding the content, the software and hardware is already in place.

High-speed access isn't an issue for most Canadians, either. I live here (http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=47.436296,-72.778657&spn=0.177189,0.32135&z=12&om=1) and I have a 5Mbps cable modem (zoom out, you'll see it's in the middle of nowhere. I have to drive an hour and a half just to reach a highway). ;)

macUser2007
Sep 10, 2007, 12:06 PM
....I on average only watch one movie a month that I can rent from Blockbuster for $3/$4 - and this is true for the majority of consumers.

?!? If this was true for the majority of the viewers, the movie business wouldn't be a business.

With your viewing pattern, BB can charge $10 per rental and you'll still be ahead compared to a service like Netflix. But that's not the point, because I really don't think you are part of the majority of consumers.

Yvan256
Sep 10, 2007, 12:12 PM
?!? If this was true for the majority of the viewers, the movie business wouldn't be a business.

With your viewing pattern, BB can charge $10 per rental and you'll still be ahead compared to a service like Netflix. But that's not the point, because I really don't think you are part of the majority of consumers.

I also think that the majority of people rent 2 or 3 movies per month, maximum.

Services like Netflix are great for people like you, who watch a lot of movies every month, however that doesn't mean that most people do that.

As for the "movie business", you don't need to have the majority of users to be profitable. Look at Apple. ;)

Unspeaked
Sep 10, 2007, 12:52 PM
That'd be because David Watanabe who posted the image is the developer of Acquisition ;)

He's not just the president, he's also a client...

Unspeaked
Sep 10, 2007, 12:55 PM

And how exactly does that relate to the price of tea in China...?

jhsfosho
Sep 10, 2007, 01:34 PM
I used to be a blockbuster online subscriber for 5.99 a month for 2 movies (one at a time). I recently changed to netflix for 4.99 a month for 2 movies (one at a time) plus 5 hours of online viewing. If apple offered a subscription for a similar price for similar viewing, I would still have to think about changing again. Unless I could play these over my xbox 360 using xbox connect. Otherwise watching movies on my laptop isn't the same as a dvd player and tv. I know apple has cables to connect my laptop to a tv, but that is a hassle for me.

KingofAwesome
Sep 10, 2007, 02:02 PM

Oh lord, calm down. We know you're annoyed because you bought an iPhone when it first came out.

roocka
Sep 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
I was thinking... If apple decides to rent movies, what is stopping them from emulating the business models of both Netflix and Blockbuster online? Why wouldn't they strike a deal with the movie studios, that allows them to deliver movies immediately to the computers or i-Pods of the end user with little to no distribution costs and a monthly membership fee. You could even place a limit for how many downloads you get per month including "unlimited downloads" and price each plan accordingly. If Apple did this, it would put tremendous pressure on their competitors, especially Blockbuster due to the nature and cost of running a brick and mortar operatoin, because people who own Apple TV would essentially have "On Demand" but with a much larger catalog of movies.

They could even call it i-Putblockbusterandnetflixoutofbusiness

roocka
Sep 11, 2007, 10:03 AM
I was thinking... If apple decides to rent movies, what is stopping them from emulating the business models of both Netflix and Blockbuster online? Why wouldn't they strike a deal with the movie studios, that allows them to deliver movies immediately to the computers or i-Pods of the end user with little to no distribution costs and a monthly membership fee. You could even place a limit for how many downloads you get per month including "unlimited downloads" and price each plan accordingly. If Apple did this, it would put tremendous pressure on their competitors, especially Blockbuster due to the nature and cost of running a brick and mortar operatoin, because people who own Apple TV would essentially have "On Demand" but with a much larger catalog of movies.

They could even call it i-Putblockbusterandnetflixoutofbusiness :)

Diode
Sep 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
With my netflix I watch about 5 movies a month ... thats about the same price if you include rentals for $2.99 ... I'd be all over this and save the hassles of netflix (movie returns etc).

cliffjumper68
Sep 11, 2007, 01:13 PM
The only way I would do this is if there where also a complete buy solution attached to it. Rent it, if you like it then buy it for the difference in cost (2.99 minus 14.99 purchase price).

cliffjumper68
Sep 11, 2007, 01:14 PM

They could even call it i-Putblockbusterandnetflixoutofbusiness :)
Considering the studios/ media companies are already chaffing at the market power of itunes I do not think they would be very cooperative.

natasha69
Sep 11, 2007, 05:09 PM

uuuuuh, but dolby helped create AAC. me thinks its already there, just not in any current downloads.

natasha69
Sep 11, 2007, 05:52 PM
Considering the studios/ media companies are already chaffing at the market power of itunes I do not think they would be very cooperative.

why not just buy blockbuster. esp since blockbuster just bought out that internet movie rental company...

unless there is a poison pill in there saying if blockbuster is sold, all license agreements have to be renegotiated....

roocka
Sep 11, 2007, 06:06 PM
The major studios have a problem with Apple selling music, television shows, and movies at low price points. They want control over the sales price of these items recognizing that the user will only buy it once. What I was talking about is "renting" movies that will cease to operate after a specified amount of time. It would be almost like downloading software on a 30 day trial. After 30 days, you can choose to buy it but if you don't, you can't watch it anymore.

What would be really cool is if you rented a movie on i-Tunes and after a 30 day period, it only allows you to view "limited features" aka... The movie's trailer. It would be free advertising for the studios. Another thing they could do is then deactivate the movie but have it play other trailers from the studio that produced the original rentable download. Also, if people really like the movie, the studios would make their money on the retail purchase at a later time. It's almost like try before you buy. This would be a really neat download model and one that wouldn't be very difficult to implement.

They would just have to treat it like a piece of software with a 30 day trial and after 30 days, you can only access the trailer. I think that would be awesome and genius.

roocka

pamon
Sep 13, 2007, 01:05 AM
gimme rentals for my ipod for a flight and i'm happy. won't be dragging my macbook outta my bag, vs just plugging in earbuds for a movie. $2.99 is a good deal IMHO.

natasha69
Sep 24, 2007, 06:36 PM
europe's done: with the iphone press releases....now give us some good halloween news for ATV.

natasha69
Oct 2, 2007, 05:44 PM
/shameless bump

anyone heard anything in this neck of the woods lately?

kman34
Oct 3, 2007, 04:23 PM
Drats!
I saw the post again and was hoping for some new news...