Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
As I said we all want one but could you include the following please...

Mail (a must)
ichat (a must)
Notes (a must)
widgets (...I guess all is a must:))

and since we dont need to worry so much about security as in the iphone, please release a SDK.

Also, on the next revision, please inlude a mic so that we can record voice notes and audio conferencing for when skype is available. Oh, and also allow the earphones to control the volume and play functions.

Some want bluetooth too, others want more GBs, if you can add it, great! :) For me 8 or 16GB is enough.

I think thats all. Teleport would be great but you could add that to the iphone. :p

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Erm...I thought it was a iPod, not a PDA.

To me it seems slightly confused as to what it wants to be. Is it a iPod with extra features, or is it a crippled PDA?

Mail and all that, you'd expect that in a PDA, but not in an iPod.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
its an iPod. not a PDA. its primary function is a music/movie player first and foremost.

and they can't add all that and expect the iPhone to still sell.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
its an iPod. not a PDA. its primary function is a music/movie player first and foremost.

and they can't add all that and expect the iPhone to still sell.

Then buy a nano.

What are you spending the extra $150 for, if not more functionality?

People who want a phone will buy the iPhone. People who don't need a phone but want PDA functionality will get the iPod Touch. People who don't need a PDA will get the nano, classic, or shuffle. Apple makes money either way. They shouldn't handcuff their products, they should make money by making the best possible products.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia

Mail (a must)
ichat (a must)
Notes (a must)

and since we dont need to worry so much about security as in the iphone, please release a SDK.

Also, on the next revision, please inlude a mic so that we can record voice notes and audio conferencing for when skype is available. Oh, and also allow the earphones to control the volume and play functions.

Some want bluetooth too, others want more GBs, if you can add it, great! :) For me 8 or 16GB is enough.

I think thats all. Teleport would be great but you could add that to the iphone. :p
Mail, Notes, widgets (weather etc) are coming soon, probably not from Apple but most certainly within the first couple of days of the touch's release we will be easily able to 'hack' them into the ipod. Check out modmyiphone.com

iChat, not yet, but theres some 3rd party IM solutions already out for the iphone which will again be easily transported to the iPod touch.

Mic, not gonna happen. I too would love that feature, if only to record my lectures.

Earphones, yeah that'd be nice.

I think most of the functionality is going to come out from the iphone/itouch hacking scene.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I agree completely. I humbly add:

GPS (a definite must)
3G data services (an absolute must)
Laser turret (a crucial must)
Dog whistle (a vital must)
Ability to open tesseracts (an essential must)
Lots of shiny hot pink hearts (a live-or-die must)
Unicorns (a gotta-have-it must)

Oh, wait, it's a fracking™ iPod.

EDIT: Oh, and Halo 2 at 60+FPS, kthxbai. :)

EDIT2: Oh, snap, this is a perfect place for me to use this.

skitched-20070908-125153.jpg

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You missed out the built in anti-aircraft missile launcher...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I agree completely. I humbly add:

GPS (a definite must)
3G data services (an absolute must)
Laser turret (a crucial must)
Dog whistle (a vital must)
Ability to open tesseracts (an essential must)
Lots of shiny hot pink hearts (a live-or-die must)
Unicorns (a gotta-have-it must)

Oh, wait, it's a fracking™ iPod.

Oh wait, you forgot 24" rims with spinners... :rolleyes:

Just because it has Safari, doesn't mean it should have all of the iPhones apps. It is not intended to be a PDA, it is only intended to be an iPod with the added bonus of WiFi. If you want the Apps the OP listed, just by the iPhone already, because you may be waiting a long time. (Unless of course you want to hack it, which no doubt many people will do)

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
yeah, this sucks, I can't believe apple didn't include every feature that XXXXXX person wants.

Maybe people should look at this as a "portable media device". It has a web browser for entertainment, it has mp3/movie playing capabilities.

Retired
May 16, 2006
yeah, this sucks, I can't believe apple didn't include every feature that XXXXXX person wants.
Its just that it would cost Apple zero effort to put mail, stocks and weather on there as the apps are already developed...

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Don't worry guys, with a painless install of Installer.app, we will easily be able to improve the functionality of the iTouch and turn it into the PDA it really is. Mail, widgets, google maps.. and some 3rd party apps such as Lights Out and, MobileRSS and MobileChat will be the first things I load onto my iTouch.

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD

Mail (a must)
ichat (a must)
Notes (a must)

Get an iPhone for $100 more, get all that you have asked.
Worried about AT&T? either hack it or use an invalid SSN to get pay as you go plan and don't use the phone functions (you can keep it as an emergency back up!)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Good news! Apple fixed the problems with the iPod Touch...they call it iPhone v1.0. Update now.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
If you want more features, get an iPhone. Apple is not going to put everything you can find in the iPhone into the Touch. Apple wants to sell iPhones more than Touches. Put yourself in the shoes of Steve Jobs, will your iPhone sell if you make an exact clone of it and sell it for cheaper?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Get an iPhone for $100 more, get all that you have asked.
Worried about AT&T? either hack it or use an invalid SSN to get pay as you go plan and don't use the phone functions (you can keep it as an emergency back up!)

The so-called pay as you go still costs over $50 per month. Not exactly cheap as far as phone service goes.

bushman1

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
IT HAS TO HAVE A HARD DRIVE OR I AM NOT BUYING!!!!!!!!
It look frekin assume but come it is 4-mm rely worth 10 times less storage!!!!!!!!!

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
IT HAS TO HAVE A HARD DRIVE OR I AM NOT BUYING!!!!!!!!
It look frekin assume but come it is 4-mm rely worth 10 times less storage!!!!!!!!!

For those of you who prefer English, I think that second sentence is:

"It looks freaking awesome but come on, is 4mm really worth 10 times less storage?"

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales

"It looks freaking awesome but come on, is 4mm really worth 10 times less storage?"

Thanks for the translation.;)

I still feel the iPod touch is incomplete, I mean the main menu is 3/4 empty, it just feels like an incomplete iPhone in some regards.

shunpike

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Oxford, UK

thank you very much sir... for those who prefer a more refined version of said language i shall translate it into my native Oxford English:

"It looks absolutely spiffing, but really sir, ask yourself this... Is it worth denying ones-self 10x the possible storage on said device for the sake of saving only 4mm on the width of the device i have been refering to?"

Edit: On second thoughts maybe your translation is better :p

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
thank you very much sir... for those who prefer a more refined version of said language i shall translate it into my native Oxford English:

"It looks absolutely spiffing, but really sir, ask yourself this... Is it worth denying ones-self 10x the possible storage on said device for the sake of saving only 4mm on the width of the device i have been refering to?"

Edit: On second thoughts maybe your translation is better :p

No no, I'm sure chicks dig your version.

:D

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
at least a notes app. what better way to make use of the multi touch. this wont add any communicative ability to the ipod that will detract from the iphone. just notes. NOTES. common..as if its not there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.