PDA

View Full Version : Free Custom Ringtones in iTunes 7.4.1

MacRumors
Sep 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

An updated step-by-step (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4152941&postcount=3) to use your own Ringtones in iTunes 7.4.1 (thanks JPyre)

1 Rename aac file to .m4r using Get Info (command+I)
2 Double click file to open in itunes
3 Close itunes
4 Goto username/music/itunes/itunes music/ringtones
5 Rename .m4r to .m4a again using Get Info
6 Sync phone

Done, simple, works everytime, 100% consistent. Make sure you name them the way you want, as you cannot remove ringtones (from the iTunes list) once they've been added.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/08/free-custom-ringtones-in-itunes-7-4-1/)

iomar
Sep 8, 2007, 01:22 PM
Wow, this is great! I will try it right now! Now Apple is working on iTunes 7.4.2. I was looking forward to Apples updates before but now they are updating so frequently that I am worried that they are not testing these softwares before they are releasing them and we are doing the testing for them.

ghall
Sep 8, 2007, 01:28 PM
This is awesome. Long live free ringtones!

Oh hi Apple, nothing to see here. :)

Zeeliv
Sep 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
When I do this, I get the error saying they cannot be found. I've tried a bunch of different ways from the original thread. Not sure why it works for everyone else but not me :(

JPyre
Sep 8, 2007, 01:55 PM
When I do this, I get the error saying they cannot be found. I've tried a bunch of different ways from the original thread. Not sure why it works for everyone else but not me :(

1) Are you sure you are renaming the file extension in the "get Info" / "Properties" dialouge and not just normally?

2) Are you selecting ringtones that are actually there? I have several tones that don't exist, yet still show up in iTunes.

BTW all thanks goes to saaber joemaller.com and rwross

Zeeliv
Sep 8, 2007, 02:18 PM
1) Are you sure you are renaming the file extension in the "get Info" / "Properties" dialouge and not just normally?

2) Are you selecting ringtones that are actually there? I have several tones that don't exist, yet still show up in iTunes.

BTW all thanks goes to saaber joemaller.com and rwross

1. Completely positive. I always have file extensions shown, the icon changed, I've double checked within properties... changing filetypes is not something new or foreign to me.

2. From the different tries I now have 2 sets shown in itunes, but only set 1 within the Ringtones folder (as I deleted the first set when it didn't work, and I started the entire process over). So it's understandable that the first set wouldn't be found as the genuinely aren't there, but the new set it should find according to everyone elses results. I can actually change them back to m4r and get the other error (file type is not supported by the iphone) even, so it knows they're there.

Sean7512
Sep 8, 2007, 02:19 PM
Works great! I hope that we can eventually figure out how to delete those items off of the list, as I messed up on one, and so it is double listed.

JPyre
Sep 8, 2007, 02:23 PM
1. Completely positive. I always have file extensions shown, the icon changed, I've double checked within properties... changing filetypes is not something new or foreign to me.

2. From the different tries I now have 2 sets shown in itunes, but only set 1 within the Ringtones folder (as I deleted the first set when it didn't work, and I started the entire process over). So it's understandable that the first set wouldn't be found as the genuinely aren't there, but the new set it should find according to everyone elses results. I can actually change them back to m4r and get the other error (file type is not supported by the iphone) even, so it knows they're there.

Well, there goes my 100% down the drain arn ;)

You're using Windows? Can anyone else verify Win support, or lack thereof, for this method? I really don't want to SwapTunes and fire up VPC just to check...

Zeeliv
Sep 8, 2007, 02:26 PM
I am indeed using windows (XP). Is anyone else using windows that did get it to work?

JPyre
Sep 8, 2007, 02:28 PM
Works great! I hope that we can eventually figure out how to delete those items off of the list, as I messed up on one, and so it is double listed.

To get rid of the "phantom" tones that still appear in ringtones tab after you delete them, go here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313) it involves deleting the library's directory list and re-adding (not importing) your music folder. This should not affect artwork, but will delete playlists, so back them up too.

malenfant
Sep 8, 2007, 02:52 PM
This process may not work if the bitrate of your M4R/M4A file is too high. I recommend not using higher than 128 kbps.

bbthechange
Sep 8, 2007, 03:10 PM
I Renamed my aac file to .m4r using Get Info, and the icon changed. I double clicked it to open it in itunes. I closed iTunes. I went to username/music/itunes/itunes music/, and there was no ringtones folder. I tried it with protected and unprotected files of varying lengths. All had a bitrate of 128 kbps.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Sean7512
Sep 8, 2007, 03:11 PM
To get rid of the "phantom" tones that still appear in ringtones tab after you delete them, go here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313) it involves deleting the library's directory list and re-adding (not importing) your music folder. This should not affect artwork, but will delete playlists, so back them up too.

Hmm, it bothers me but not the the point where I want to deal with re doing my playlists and re-syncing my ipods, iphone, and apple tv. I'll just leave it, oh well. I was thinking maybe once the "Ringtone" part of the iTunes Library is unlocked next week that maybe we can delete these phantom files, so I'll just wait.

voidptr
Sep 8, 2007, 03:26 PM
It took me a couple tries to make this work in 7.4.1 on my Mac..

1) Make sure the tag info isn't the same as another song in the library. If it's already in iTunes, shorten the title, remove the track # data, and drag a copy out. Delete the iTunes copy.
2) Put it in the iTunes Music/Ringtones folder. Create folder if needed.
3) Uncheck both "Keep my Music Folder Organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Library when adding to library" in preferences. Otherwise it'll rename the file to .m4a and move it into the real library
4) Add it to iTunes from the Ringtones folder
5) Rename the extension to m4a.

Now it should show up and sync. If I didn't do the above steps, it would either get lost on import or moved into the normal music collection.

Gundampilotspaz
Sep 8, 2007, 04:16 PM
I just updated itunes in Windows and the custom ringtone I made yesterday is still in my phone after I sync it.

Gundampilotspaz
Sep 8, 2007, 05:09 PM
Nope, they broke it in the windows version at least. After trying a few times I can't get new ringtones on and it removed the one I had made before.

bignumbers
Sep 8, 2007, 05:26 PM
This just strikes me as lame by Apple.

I spent some quality time making ringtones yesterday (legally, using music I'd written and some royalty-free stuff). Now Apple wants so take them away.

I'm going to hold off upgrading iTunes from 7.4 until the dust settles.

bravedeer
Sep 8, 2007, 05:27 PM
stop releasing this so publicly so that they stop these 7.4.x updates? You know we'll be seeing a 7.4.2 on monday. #*(!@

compuguy1088
Sep 8, 2007, 05:31 PM
stop releasing this so publicly so that they stop these 7.4.x updates? You know we'll be seeing a 7.4.2 on monday. #*(!@

Mabe....or maybe not...

Zeeliv
Sep 8, 2007, 05:35 PM
Those that are having trouble with this are using Windows it seems, so why recommend iToner? We can't use it.

compuguy1088
Sep 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
Apple Gazette has created a piece of software that automates the ringtone process with two versions: one for 7.4 and one for 7.4.1

http://www.applegazette.com/site-news/introducing-iring-free-iphone-ringtones-for-all

I posted this in another thread, there is a free ringtone program that Apple Gazette has made that works with 7.4 and 7.4.1.

Nutzoids
Sep 8, 2007, 06:40 PM
Attn: All Windows Users

Majorgeeks.com still has the 7.4.0.28 iTunes for download!

I have yet to test it, but all Initial reports say it works...

Updates to come!

:apple:

Interventionist
Sep 8, 2007, 07:54 PM
Is there a possibility to create in garageband....export to Itunes... and then convert to ringtone?

iSaint
Sep 8, 2007, 09:23 PM
I finally was able to get it to work on my G4 Powerbook.

Find eligible AAC music file in iTunes.
Drag to Desktop.
Rename as *.m4r
Create folder Ringtones in iTunes Music folder
Drag file from desktop to Ringtones Folder
Double Click (whether iTunes is open or not)
The file should NOT play in iTunes
Go back to Ringtones folder and rename song as *.m4a

Two of the seven files I converted didn't work. I'll retry to see what happens.

I'm sure this will be corrected by Apple soon! ;)

XDerkaX
Sep 8, 2007, 10:17 PM
Can anyone tell me why I don't even see a ringtones option on the left of Itunes in 7.4.1? Is there an option I have to enable? thanks.

Zeeliv
Sep 8, 2007, 10:38 PM
Can anyone tell me why I don't even see a ringtones option on the left of Itunes in 7.4.1? Is there an option I have to enable? thanks.

It never shows up on the left, it is a tab up top when you are looking at your iPhone.

Canuck4
Sep 8, 2007, 11:08 PM
Lol :D
I predict another itunes update tommorow 7.4.2 :D
Or maybe they'll give up but I doubt it.

vandy1997
Sep 8, 2007, 11:13 PM
This method does NOT work under Windows. I am using Windows Vista, and I get an error that the file does not exist. If you made custom ringtones under iTunes 7.4, they will remain. However, new ringtones cannot be added. If you use Windows, then you may have to reinstall iTunes 7.4. Otherwise, you can use iBrickr or SSH/WinSCP to add ringtones to the iPhone; however, the iPhone will have to be jailbroken.

Canuck4
Sep 8, 2007, 11:24 PM
Yep, us Windows users got the shaft again :(

karlfranz
Sep 8, 2007, 11:49 PM
Is there a possibility to create in garageband....export to Itunes... and then convert to ringtone?

Check out my custom Garageband ringtones here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351896).

omahajim
Sep 9, 2007, 12:05 AM
Awesome x3

By remixing a couple of steps from the various tips here, I am finally able to have the Stephen Colbert "Your phone is ringing! Your phone is ringing!" ringtone on my iPhone! And my iPhone is otherwise completely stock.

Once again, thank you!

And I should note, I have 7.4.1(2) on OS X 10.4.10 my Mac mini, so doing the rename-rename shuffle did the trick for me. I got suckered into upgrading to 7.4.1.2 before I read the news about the ringtone hack being broken... but I can attest that the new hack absolutely still works for me. NO MORE upgrading iTunes for me until the dust settles a few days to see what works/doesn't.

After playing with it a little more, I'm inspired to go through all of the telephone-related songs in my cd-ripped collection in iTunes... I now have "Telephone Line" by ELO in my ringtones (for free).

mdwsta4
Sep 9, 2007, 12:05 AM
nice! wound up DLing 7.4.1 by mistake, ran into problems with ifuntastic on my ibook so i restored the phone and decided to add ringtones this way vs the cyberduck way. worked perfectly. also got the audio a lot louder (finally!).

luckily the installer app has a new version that works with 7.4 as well. so when is the wifi icon going to show up? another update next week that will probably erase all that i just put on? bah!

afumo77
Sep 9, 2007, 01:04 AM
Why can't I seem to make this work? I am on an older G5 powerPC, is that the problem? When I change the file extension in "get info", double click it opens in itunes, but no ringtone folder gets made, and when I make one, put the .m4r in there and double click it launches itunes and when I navigate to the ringtone folder to change the extension, it is no longer there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

donlphi
Sep 9, 2007, 01:42 AM
Has anybody heard this ringtone? I'll try to describe it.

It sounds like the old Nokia original ringtone, but then starts to sound like it is self destructing (static, distortion, pitch changes). It's VERY funny. A friend of mine said he found it on a sight called thecleverest.com, but the sight is under construction or something.

If anybody knows another place where I can find it, please post the link. I would love to get it on my iPhone. :D

aliquis-
Sep 9, 2007, 07:26 AM

I spent some quality time making ringtones yesterday (legally, using music I'd written and some royalty-free stuff). Now Apple wants so take them away.

I'm going to hold off upgrading iTunes from 7.4 until the dust settles.But Apple is THE lockin vendor.

Which of course suck.

iSee
Sep 9, 2007, 10:56 AM
For those having trouble getting this working (and are on a Mac), we recommend iToner.

Hah, the people who don't want to pay 99 cents to convert a song to a ringtone aren't going to want to pay more than 15 times that much. :rolleyes:

I'd actually recommend that you dig some loose change out of your couch... ;)

tooshaggy
Sep 9, 2007, 05:52 PM
here is what worked for me:
make a ringtones
add to iTunes
convert to acc
drag it to the desktop
change it to m4r
make ringtones folder in iTunes music folder
drag m4r to ringtones folder I made
double click it in the folder.
They appear on iTunes no problem.

josh1014
Sep 9, 2007, 07:16 PM
So has anyone successfully gotten this to work on Windows, or is it definitely not working?

Goldenbear
Sep 9, 2007, 07:30 PM
It took me a couple tries to make this work in 7.4.1 on my Mac..

1) Make sure the tag info isn't the same as another song in the library. If it's already in iTunes, shorten the title, remove the track # data, and drag a copy out. Delete the iTunes copy.
2) Put it in the iTunes Music/Ringtones folder. Create folder if needed.
3) Uncheck both "Keep my Music Folder Organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Library when adding to library" in preferences. Otherwise it'll rename the file to .m4a and move it into the real library
4) Add it to iTunes from the Ringtones folder
5) Rename the extension to m4a.

Now it should show up and sync. If I didn't do the above steps, it would either get lost on import or moved into the normal music collection.
Interesting that you had to go through all that.

Step 3 is completely not necessary and not true, in my case. In fact, Steps 1-4 were not necessary for me.

I simply added the .m4r file to the Library by opening it in iTunes. This caused iTunes to create a Ringtones folder and copy the file into it. Then, I renamed it to .m4a, and everything worked.

HkyGrL2
Sep 9, 2007, 07:36 PM
ok, so I have a PC and I don't know if what you guys are doing is only for Mac users.

Also, I tried to follow some of the steps
I opened itunes, converted the file I wanted into aac
dragged it onto my desktop
but there is no way to change the file name once it's on the desktop.
In the itunes it says aac, but on the desktop it says m4a
one of the reasons why I got the phone was because I thought i could use my own songs as ringtones.
wtf! I have to pay to make a song that I BOUGHT and downloaded from MY OWN CD as a ringtone. I think I am owed more than a hundred dollars!

Nickz
Sep 9, 2007, 07:49 PM
So has anyone successfully gotten this to work on Windows, or is it definitely not working?

For Windows XP on iTunes 7.4.1, I were only able to get the songs onto "Ringtones" tab but I wasn't able to sync it onto iPhone because iPhone couldn't play the song. Just in case someone wants to figure something out. Here are the steps...

1. Edit the song you want to use as your ringtone in *.mp3 format.
2. Add that song into iTunes
3. Convert that file into AAC. To convert into AAC, right clicking the song in iTunes and select "Convert Selection to AAC".
4. Once after you have converted the song into AAC, find the location of that file by right clicking the song that you have converted into AAC and then select "Get Info"
5. A window will pop-up giving you the information about the song and the location of the song ("Where:").
**(When you convert the file into AAC, the file extension of the file will turn to *.m4a) **
6. Find the location of that file. (Normally in "iTunes music" folder under unknown artist) and close iTunes.
7. Copy that file (shortcut key to copy file = Ctrl+C)
8. Create a folder name "ringtones" under .../iTunes/iTunes Music
9. Paste the file you have copied (shortcut key to paste file = Ctrl+V)
10. Create another copy of the same file and rename the file extension to *.m4r
11. Double click the song with the *.m4a file extension.

That will pretty much get the ringtones on to the "Ringtones" tab in iTunes. But I didn't have much luck getting it sync onto the iPhone. If anyone could figure out how to get it sync. please post the steps.

- Nickz

chiefillini
Sep 9, 2007, 11:07 PM
Well after working on this for about 30min I finally got mine to work. Something I noticed though was that when I created the ringtone in garageband and than exported to something like greystreet.m4a, than changed to m4r and double-clicked into itunes that it changed the name to my song.m4r which was the title on the garageband file. So that is what it added to the ringtone list. Is there a way around this besides having to save the garageband file to the same as I want the ringtone to be titled as.

HkyGrL2
Sep 9, 2007, 11:13 PM
For Windows XP on iTunes 7.4.1, I were only able to get the songs onto "Ringtones" tab but I wasn't able to sync it onto iPhone because iPhone couldn't play the song. Just in case someone wants to figure something out. Here are the steps...

1. Edit the song you want to use as your ringtone in *.mp3 format.
2. Add that song into iTunes
3. Convert that file into AAC. To convert into AAC, right clicking the song in iTunes and select "Convert Selection to AAC".
4. Once after you have converted the song into AAC, find the location of that file by right clicking the song that you have converted into AAC and then select "Get Info"
5. A window will pop-up giving you the information about the song and the location of the song ("Where:").
**(When you convert the file into AAC, the file extension of the file will turn to *.m4a) **
6. Find the location of that file. (Normally in "iTunes music" folder under unknown artist) and close iTunes.
7. Copy that file (shortcut key to copy file = Ctrl+C)
8. Create a folder name "ringtones" under .../iTunes/iTunes Music
9. Paste the file you have copied (shortcut key to paste file = Ctrl+V)
10. Create another copy of the same file and rename the file extension to *.m4r
11. Double click the song with the *.m4a file extension.

That will pretty much get the ringtones on to the "Ringtones" tab in iTunes. But I didn't have much luck getting it sync onto the iPhone. If anyone could figure out how to get it sync. please post the steps.

- Nickz

Nickz,
Does it work with iTunes 7.4.2???

cb333
Sep 10, 2007, 12:52 AM
wait i'm now confused. can somebody clarify something? for windows, would 7.4.1.2 enable me to use free mp3 ringtones? it mentions macgeek still got the 7.4.0.28 version but after downloading the file it lists as 7.4.1.2.

thx for all the help.

scotty588
Sep 10, 2007, 01:34 AM
I can confirm this works for Windows XP and the person who posted it (Robbie) got it to work on Vista.

1. Put m4r files into a ringtones folder on my desktop.
2. Opened iTunes
3. Edit>Prefferences>Advanced
4. Check “Keep iTunes Music folder organized”
5. Check “Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library”
6. Created playlist called “Ringtones” in iTunes
7. Dragged the Ringtones folder from my desktop to the playlist I created in iTunes
8. Made sure they appeared when in the list on the Ringtones tab in iTunes
9. Opened the “Ringtones” folder that iTunes created in \Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones
10. Renamed all the m4r files to m4a
11. Try to sync but it fails because it cannot find the m4r files (this is good)
12. Look at playlist created in iTunes with a bunch of X’s next to each ringtone
13. Double clicked each ringtone (hit browse for the file, and selected each m4a file from the folder in my \Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones)
14. Hit sync again
15. Verify they are in your Settings>Sounds>Ringtones
http://joemaller.com/2007/09/08/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-work-with-itunes-741/#comment-25353

cb333
Sep 10, 2007, 02:21 AM
thx scotty588 i was able to get it to work! :):):)

sanford
Sep 10, 2007, 06:29 AM
Yeah, iToner broke. Apple broke the 7.4 ringtone thing with 7.4.1. This is why $.99 just doesn't like too much money for a ringtone for me: for $.99 over the costs of a song I'll want anyway, I get guaranteed compatibility. I have a feeling even with commercial products like iToner, Apple will break it, they'll fix it, and with every new minor iTunes release you'll have a week or so where you can't sync your iPhone or you'll lose your ringtones.

I finally was able to get it to work on my G4 Powerbook.

Find eligible AAC music file in iTunes.
Drag to Desktop.
Rename as *.m4r
Create folder Ringtones in iTunes Music folder
Drag file from desktop to Ringtones Folder
Double Click (whether iTunes is open or not)
The file should NOT play in iTunes
Go back to Ringtones folder and rename song as *.m4a

Two of the seven files I converted didn't work. I'll retry to see what happens.

I'm sure this will be corrected by Apple soon! ;)

QCassidy352
Sep 10, 2007, 09:39 AM
Yeah, iToner broke. Apple broke the 7.4 ringtone thing with 7.4.1. This is why $.99 just doesn't like too much money for a ringtone for me: for $.99 over the costs of a song I'll want anyway, I get guaranteed compatibility. I have a feeling even with commercial products like iToner, Apple will break it, they'll fix it, and with every new minor iTunes release you'll have a week or so where you can't sync your iPhone or you'll lose your ringtones.

I agree... I won't want more than a couple of ringtones, max, and at $.99 each, I'd rather just pay and not worry about it again.

AJsAWiz
Sep 10, 2007, 11:39 AM
ROCHESTER, New York -- September 7, 2007 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. today announced the release of iToner 1.0.1. This update of the highly popular iPhone custom ringtone transfer tool adds support for iTunes 7.4, along with other bug fixes and improvements.

Exempt from per-ringtone fees, iToner lets you easily transfer your own MP3 or AAC audio files to your iPhone, and enjoy them as custom ringtones.

The iToner 1.0.1 update is free to all registered users, and may be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/itoner/

iToner 1.0.1 features the following improvements and changes:

-- Compatibility with iTunes 7.4

-- Now supports file dragging from iTunes

-- Improved playlist handling

-- Other bug fixes and enhancements

Until now, getting custom ringtones onto your iPhone required invasively hacking your iPhone with unpleasantly complex and laborious tools. With iToner, simply drag and drop your favorite audio files onto the elegant and familiar interface, and click the Sync button. Your custom ringtones are instantly accessible from your iPhone! Even better, your ringtones will continue to work with future iPhone OS updates.

Your iPhone allows you to assign different ringtones for your different contacts. With iToner, now you can have a Barry White ringtone for when your girlfriend calls, Frank Zappa for when your college buddies ring you up, or the theme from Jaws for when your boss is calling.

/dev/toaster
Sep 10, 2007, 03:39 PM

I'm going to hold off upgrading iTunes from 7.4 until the dust settles.

I agree 100% with you, I am so ********** angry with Apple over this. I can understand charging a fee for ringtones *purchased* on iTunes. However, I can not for the life of me understand why Apple thinks they can charge for the privilege to sync my own ringtones. (Regardless of how I obtained it)

Anyone know Steve Jobs email address, I really want to voice my self on this.

TurboSC
Sep 10, 2007, 03:50 PM
so many little work around for such a great phone... Why can't life be easy... why can't I just drag a damn .mp3 file into a folder on my iPhone and call it quits. Damn you Apple!

toomuchrock
Sep 10, 2007, 07:00 PM
Well I followed the steps on a full patched iTunes, iPhone and on my PowerMac G5. Namely:

Found my song in iTunes
Set the start and finish to be the length I wanted (15 seconds)
set the import to convert to aac
converted to aac (128kbps)
renamed the track
dragged it to the desktop
deleted from iTunes
renamed to .m4r
clicked and loaded it in iTunes
Killed iTunes
reanmed the .../Ringtones/file.m4r to .m4a
Launched iTunes
Synced

All worked great. It's on the phone. I assigned it as my ring tone, it played when I selected it and then someone called...

Nothing. It plays the stock ringtone.

All is set fine in the phone, but the ringtone selection is just ignored.

Thoughts?

Ptpiz
Sep 12, 2007, 09:37 PM
The same thing happened with me. The ringtone gets in iTunes and syncs with the iPhone, it even plays when I tap on it in the ringtone preview when selecting my ringtone, but it doesnt actually use the ringtone i selected when someone calls, it rings as the marimba ringtone. Whats wrong?

sanford
Sep 13, 2007, 07:27 AM
You might need to power off your iPhone and turn it back on. Or reboot it -- the simple kind, with no data loss. As a very last ditch effort, you can do a restore in iTunes, which means you do lose data, but so long as you've exported all the iPhone photos you want to keep to your computer, likewise with any purchased songs perhaps bought with another computer but not yet sync'ed with the iPhone's master computer -- I'm not even sure how to do that, really -- it's not a big deal, except some time to do a full sync, as getting all your data back on the iPhone is automated by iTunes.

I'll assume you know how to do all of above or can easily find out.

But first, when I bought a ringtone to try it out... By the way, it's elegant, easy and in my opinion the $.99 price is a bargain for how they offer the service. But when I first tried it out with a custom ringtone, I had my wife call me. I had a personal ringtone set for her contact card, and that superseded the iTunes-bought ringtone that I had set as the master ringtone. So make sure you don't have a personal ringtone set for the person(s) you're having call to test your new ringtone.

The same thing happened with me. The ringtone gets in iTunes and syncs with the iPhone, it even plays when I tap on it in the ringtone preview when selecting my ringtone, but it doesnt actually use the ringtone i selected when someone calls, it rings as the marimba ringtone. Whats wrong?

toomuchrock
Sep 14, 2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah I couldn't find this thread to update. I did reboot the iphone and all was well. Yeah for the ringtones I'm used to.

xgman
Sep 14, 2007, 09:02 AM
so many little work around for such a great phone... Why can't life be easy... why can't I just drag a damn .mp3 file into a folder on my iPhone and call it quits. Damn you Apple!

because apple is greedy!

YoungCreative
Sep 14, 2007, 02:15 PM
...but it doesnt actually use the ringtone i selected when someone calls, it rings as the marimba ringtone. Whats wrong?

Check the Contact listing for the person that called you and see if their is a Ringtone listed under their phone numbers that will override any global ringtone setting.

I have used the following steps with great success using my Windows XP laptop with ringtone files created on my Mac with Grageband. On the Mac, be sure to use the Get Info window to change the name and uncheck the "hide extension" box! If that is checked, you cannot change the extension. Unless you get a warning asking if you want to change the extension, you haven't done it correctly...and be sure to tell it to accept the desired extension change.

Just make sure you follow all of these instructions:
STEPS (6) and (7) are VERY IMPORTANT!

(1) Start with a sound clip of 30 seconds or less saved as an AAC 128 format sound file.

(2) Change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r using the "Get Info" window and unchecking the "Hide Extension" box.

(3) Put .m4r file into \iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones folder

(4) Double click on that .m4r file and it should appear and play inside of iTunes under Ringtones.

(5) Go back to the ringtones folder in the finder (\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones) and change the file extension from *.m4r to *.m4a (* = name of ringtone) Remember to use "Get Info" to make sure the "hide extension" box is not checked!

(6) Attempt to play the file again, this time in iTunes (not in the Finder) and it will say that iTunes can’t find the file - this is good!

(7) Press the “yes” button to specify location of the file and double click on the file you just changed

(8) Sync the iPhone with iTunes

Credit for the steps (with some changes I have made for Mac users) goes to:
http://joemaller.com/2007/09/08/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-work-with-itunes-741/#comment-25456

Bosunsfate
Sep 15, 2007, 09:46 AM
1. Open Garageband
2. Create new music project called Ringtone Generator
3. Using your media browser select the iTunes song you want and drag it to create a new track.

* Note you can really use anything in Garageband include loops, jam packs, you name it. By using a generic project you can just keep reusing it forever...

4. Edit the song down to the bit you want.

* I love this over the feature in iTunes. Mainly becuase if I don't like the end result I didn't waste $.99.

5. Once finished with your edits Export the Song to your Disk.

* Download the MakeiPhoneRingTone from iPhone Alley (http://www.iphonealley.com/). These guys did a sweet job.

6. Lanuch the app and follow the instructions....it just works from there.

ebracr
Sep 15, 2007, 11:52 AM
This method does NOT work under Windows. I am using Windows Vista, and I get an error that the file does not exist. If you made custom ringtones under iTunes 7.4, they will remain. However, new ringtones cannot be added. If you use Windows, then you may have to reinstall iTunes 7.4. Otherwise, you can use iBrickr or SSH/WinSCP to add ringtones to the iPhone; however, the iPhone will have to be jailbroken.

Someone wrote a new problem for window it works great check out the link
below you just drop your AAC file onto it and it does all the work for you than you just double click the file and it imports it into itunes and you just sycn it to your phone. Works great on XP and i heard also Vista.
http://tkhere.blogspot.com/2007/09/iringz-tonez-for-your-iphonez.html :)

attadj
Sep 15, 2007, 04:49 PM
Someone wrote a new problem for window it works great check out the link
below you just drop your AAC file onto it and it does all the work for you than you just double click the file and it imports it into itunes and you just sycn it to your phone. Works great on XP and i heard also Vista.
http://tkhere.blogspot.com/2007/09/iringz-tonez-for-your-iphonez.html :)

Worked fine for me. Is there anything good to use to clip a portion of the sound from the AAC file? This app only seems to take the whole file.

sblasl
Sep 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
Doesn't Windows have enough "problems" without anyone writing another one for it?:rolleyes:

Someone wrote a new problem for window it works great check out the link...