Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HardMac.com republishes what is claiming to be an iPhone advertisement from T-Mobile.

iphone_release_ger_300.jpg

The flyer claims the iPhone will be launching in Germany on November 12th by T-Mobile. It also indicates the iPhone will have 16GB of storage and work on the 3G network.

The flyer was also submitted to us via a Rapid Share link. As always the authenticity of such an image is impossible to verify.

Article Link

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
This sounds possible, with a US version released around the same time, or at MWSF 08. Personally I have felt that a 16 gig iPhone would be delivered in January for $399, with an 8 gig iPhone being $50 to $100 cheaper. Apple's going after the phone market and January will be the time I'll look to buy.

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
Fake, Fake, Fake, Fake, Fake! Fake.

First they call it the iPhone XL for 499 euros (that's like 680 dollars) then they say Apple iPod 16 GB. I really don't buy it.

-AS-

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
i know the company well (business customer), and i heard from a high rank employee, that the iphone will come in november. The flyer is also, if you ignore "ipod" instead of "iphone", very similiar to the ones you get from t-mobile in germany. the pink color is also matching 100% to the color they normally use

PS: these faults (ipod instead of iphone) are not rare things in t-mobile flyers, their flyers are full of faults! ;-)

HermanTheGerman

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
i know the company well (business customer), and i heard from a high rank employee, that the iphone will come in november. The flyer is also, if you ignore "ipod" instead of "iphone", very similiar to the ones you get from t-mobile in germany. the pink color is also matching 100% to the color they normally use

PS: these faults (ipod instead of iphone) are not rare things in t-mobile flyers, their flyers are full of faults! ;-)

Did you actually join only to let us know about that?

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
am i right in reading they get 400minutes a month for 69 euros? that cant be right, accoring to my cousin in germany they pay about half what we do for minutes...my german is a bit rusty though

P.B.

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
First they call it the iPhone XL for 499 euros (that's like 680 dollars)

the price is actually very likely,
Apple prices are ALWAYS transfered 1:1 from Dollar to Euro.
An 8GB iPhone is 400,- so an 16GB is going to be 500,-.

am i right in reading they get 400minutes a month for 69 euros? that cant be right, accoring to my cousin in germany they pay about half what we do for minutes...my german is a bit rusty though

I'm from Germany as well and I would be very happy with the prices in the advert. It's even a little less expensiv then comparable t-mobile plans today.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Well, this is how my $100 credit will be spent, bringing the 16 GB, 3G iPhone that will be available in November down to $399. My kid will finally get his iPhone (my 1st generation).

treichert88

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2005
could be real in my opinion... looks exactly like the stuff t-mobile publishes here in germany (and they're - as stated before - full of mistakes)

the naming schemes for the different plans also matches the current model of T-Mobile here in germany ("relax 100", "relax XL") and if you take a very close look at the interface of the iPhone in that picture you can see that it's already translated which of course could also simply mean that somebody really took some time to do this...

on the other hand i'm not so sure about the 3G simply because apple clearly said that they wouldn't do that at the moment.

HermanTheGerman

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Translation Disrepancies

If you take a look for instance at the word below the "world clock" icon, it says "Weltuhr" in German. However, this word does not even exist in the German language.

Also, "Photos" would be spelled "Fotos" in German, although the rather old-fashioned spelling "Photos" (referring to the Greek root of the word) still does exist.

The "Text" below the "text" icon and "Karten" below the "maps" icon are translated correctly, but sound rather awkward to a native speaker in this context.

Other than that: The "Z.B" (meaning "e.g." in German) in the upper pink box stating the 499,00 € price should be spelled "z.B.", as you can see here: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&la...sectHdr=on&spellToler=on&search=e.g&relink=on

You could capitalize the "z" if you were to initiate a sentence with it, but that would be considered poor spelling style, thus, you would rather write it in full ("Zum Beispiel"). However, that text in the upper pink box is not even a real sentence.

I would consider it a fake.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Any germans want to help out a fellow T-Mobile user in the states?
Just work with my SIM and I will pay the premium to have a T-Mobile iPhone on my excellent excellent service.

Also, I have spoken with a few T-Mobile reps here in socal: Expect 3G approval from the FCC this fall!

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I'm not falling for it. I will believe there is a 3G iPhone when I watch Steve Jobs announce it. Until then, I find it hard to believe any of the things like this that come out.

-AS-

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Did you actually join only to let us know about that?

yes, actually you're right! i just wanted to say something to this topic.

btt: if you take a closer look, you'll see, that in the upper left of the display you can see "t-mobile D", also settings is called "einstellungen" and everything else is translated too. i don't think that someone is so careful when faking, and a apple fan (which would probably faked it, if it's a fake) wouldn't make a fault, writing ipod instead of iphone!

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
If you look at the iPhone pic closer, you'll noticed there are two icons after the T-Mobile carrier logo. They look like the Edge icon 'E' and WiFi signal. People who have iPhone will know iPhone can display either the 'E' or Wifi, but not both at the same time.

but still, this might just be graphical error (my company's in-house designers do these kind of small error all the time) and the other info can still be true.

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
Any germans want to help out a fellow T-Mobile user in the states?
Just work with my SIM and I will pay the premium to have a T-Mobile iPhone on my excellent excellent service.

Also, I have spoken with a few T-Mobile reps here in socal: Expect 3G approval from the FCC this fall!

Right, because low level reps from a competiting cellular company have "an in" on that kind of information. Besides, they havent even applied, and its fall. how could it be approved?

HermanTheGerman

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
yes, actually you're right! i just wanted to say something to this topic.

btt: if you take a closer look, you'll see, that in the upper left of the display you can see "t-mobile D", also settings is called "einstellungen" and everything else is translated too. i don't think that someone is so careful when faking, and a apple fan (which would probably faked it, if it's a fake) wouldn't make a fault, writing ipod instead of iphone!

Well, it does not take a genius to do that. A decent (online) dictionary is all you need.

The icons "Phone" and "Mail" in the dock are not translated though.

Also, the "XL" behind "iPhone" in the upper pink box is not correctly aligned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.