PDA

View Full Version : DontBuyMusic.com was shut down today at the request of Buy.c...

MacBytes
Aug 15, 2003, 04:02 PM
Category: Mac Websites
Link: DontBuyMusic.com was shut down today at the request of Buy.com's legal team. (http://macteens.com/news_more.php?id=244_0_3_0_C)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

MrMacMan
Aug 15, 2003, 08:02 PM
uh oh!

The hunting begins!

Watch out BoycottBuyMusic!

Watch it ! :confused:

Oh no!

Watch out guys!

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 08:31 PM
Funny...they copy/parody Apple, but when someone else does it, they get upset and shut them down.

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Funny...they copy/parody Apple, but when someone else does it, they get upset and shut them down. in the american legal system, essence is thrown out the window and form is subjected to utmost praise. you have to copy people very carefully in america. i am sure buymusic.com was that careful. as Rand would say, moochers are great at protecting themselves from one another, if not at producing good things.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 09:32 PM
God bless America, eh?

NavyIntel007
Aug 15, 2003, 09:41 PM
Someone call the ACLU. That's an infringement on first amendment rights. Buy.com has no legal position on this matter.

G4scott
Aug 15, 2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Someone call the ACLU. That's an infringement on first amendment rights. Buy.com has no legal position on this matter.

I'd call them, but the ACLU no longer really stands for the rights of Americans. They just do whatever they can to make money by supporting ideas of certain, rich people, and collecting court fees by taking others to court.

I really want to see BuyMusic's sales figures from opening day.

I bet they suck :p

G4scott
Aug 15, 2003, 10:15 PM
I hate to double post, and I'm not sure if this hasn't been pointed out before, but you can still browse the site with IE on a Mac, although you get this little popup window. In Safari, it takes you to this page, where you can't do anything.

This is a HATE CRIME!!! They are making their service unavailable to a certain group of people (Safari, and non IE users.)

I wonder how far you'd get in court with this argument...

I imagine not very far, but it'd be interesting.

tazo
Aug 15, 2003, 11:31 PM
I have braced for a possible attack, by editing the index page to include a pseudo-disclaimer. Check it out at Boycottbuymusic.com and thanks MrMacMan for thinking of my site:)

Doctor Q
Aug 16, 2003, 12:51 AM
Their grounds were copyright and trademark infringement. That's what you should watch out for, tazo. For example, it might be a good precaution to change the Math Problems Yet Again page to quote their copy instead of showing a screenshot. I'm no legal expert, but I'd rather see you keep the site going.

tazo
Aug 16, 2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Their grounds were copyright and trademark infringement. That's what you should watch out for, tazo. For example, it might be a good precaution to change the Math Problems Yet Again page to quote their copy instead of showing a screenshot. I'm no legal expert, but I'd rather see you keep the site going.

I don't quite understand what you mean. Take the images from the site like the chart and the text? I am interested in doing anything to avoid getting the c&d, not that I was any stranger to them running a joke website for four years :rolleyes: ;)

Doctor Q
Aug 16, 2003, 01:39 AM
The change you made matches what I was suggesting: reporting their math problem with words and pointing at the image on their site instead of on yours. If they ever fix their page, I wonder if you could still point to the old version in the Google cache?

Remember, if you really want legal advice, ask somebody qualified to give it.

Anybody remember the lousy law firm that hassled a kid over his domain name pokey.org? (link (http://www.wendytech.com/articlesnyresolntm.htm)) In cases like this one and that one, I root for the underdog.

G4scott
Aug 16, 2003, 08:31 PM
Hey Tazo, I'll send this picture to the boycottbuymusic site... I made it myself :D :cool:

tazo
Aug 17, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
Hey Tazo, I'll send this picture to the boycottbuymusic site... I made it myself :D :cool:

hot damn. that is great :)
Do you think you could design one with BoycottBuyMusic.com in it?