PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch (apps) let's contact Apple!!!

wakerider017
Sep 8, 2007, 05:16 PM
So Steve said he got hundred of e-mail from disgruntled iPhone users about the price cut and he DID something about it...

I have an iPod Touch on order and I would like more apps! Why shouldn't there be Mail, Maps and Stocks?

Why isn't iChat included...

Please DO NOT post that the ipod is not a PDA. It has the same capabilities as the iPhone and why shouldn't they take advantage of them?

SO LETS ALL E-MAIL APPLE AND ASK THEM FOR MORE APPS... It can't hurt, so why not?

Edit: Use this link to write Apple

sjobs@mac.com

or

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

aethelbert
Sep 8, 2007, 05:18 PM
Pick an email address to send the emails to. At least put them in the same inbox...

wakerider017
Sep 8, 2007, 05:20 PM
Pick an email address to send the emails to. At least put them in the same inbox...

Probably a good idea!

It would be great if everyone e-mailed. Apple wants to know how their customers feel!

haiggy
Sep 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
Probably a good idea!

How about the iPod feedback e-mail?

They event have a subject line listed as "Enhancement Request"

It would be great if everyone e-mailed. Apple wants to know how their customers feel!

why not sjobs@mac.com or sjobs@apple.com? i forget which one it is

i0Nic
sjobs@mac.com

Mtirv
Or... we wait for the hackers to put all the apps on within an hour of receiving their iPods.

wakerider017
Sep 8, 2007, 05:24 PM
Or... we wait for the hackers to put all the apps on within an hour of receiving their iPods.

And constantly mess with our iPods as new iTunes releases come out?

I would rather have it done legitimately.

aethelbert
Sep 8, 2007, 05:25 PM
sjobs@mac.com
I've heard that @apple.com works as well. But I think that the iPod feedback form would be the best choice.

Also, I agree with the OP that it should be done in a legit manner, even if it means paying a few bucks.

FunkyMonkey
Sep 8, 2007, 05:38 PM
Just sent feedback on Apple's iPod Feedback page. Everyone else should do this so we can make a difference.

Pathfinder55
Sep 8, 2007, 05:47 PM
I've heard that @apple.com works as well. But I think that the iPod feedback form would be the best choice.

Also, I agree with the OP that it should be done in a legit manner, even if it means paying a few bucks.

I submitted something on this.

FunkyMonkey
Sep 8, 2007, 05:49 PM
That's 2.....come on you guys! It takes like 2 minutes!

haiggy
Sep 8, 2007, 05:59 PM
That's 2.....come on you guys! It takes like 2 minutes!

I just did as well.

techlover828
Sep 8, 2007, 06:03 PM
i sent an email and did the feedback form, hope they enhance it!

danny_w
Sep 8, 2007, 06:18 PM
i sent an email and did the feedback form, hope they enhance it!
Add me to the list.

yetanotherdave
Sep 8, 2007, 06:18 PM
done :)
Hi
I have an iPod touch on order and my wife is on the verge of ordering one too. We feel there is a huge opportunity with this device to open it up to developers. The advantages would be many but a few would be
1) greatly enhanced functionality of the device, makes it more desirable.
2) can be used as a test bed for devs getting access to the iPhone without worrying about the phone network.
3) c'mon, why is notes missing from the touch when it's on the iPhone.
4) and stocks, weather and google maps? The touch isn't a phone so these wont always be available, but neither is safari if you're not in a wifi spot.
5) applications could be loaded and sold via itunes (like games on the 5g video ipods)
Cheers

aethelbert
Sep 8, 2007, 06:19 PM
I sent something there a while ago as well. If they get a lot of these, it might get us apps on the touch (unless they've already been planning it).

telf22
Sep 8, 2007, 07:04 PM
i just sent one.

sblasl
Sep 8, 2007, 07:14 PM
You know the feature set that Apple is initially putting on the iPod Touch, if that is not satisfactory to you, then don't buy it. Buy a iPhone.

They are going to keep these as 2 distinct products with 2 distinct type of consumers.

aethelbert
Sep 8, 2007, 07:17 PM
You know the feature set that Apple is initially putting on the iPod Touch, if that is not satisfactory to you, then don't buy it. Buy a iPhone.

They are going to keep these as 2 distinct products with 2 distinct type of consumers.
The iPhone already has the phone and a camera which the touch will never get. If Apple decides to sell these apps on iTunes, it's a gold mine for profit. Everyone will want some (if not all) of the apps/widgets available. And someone's gonna hack the apps off of iPhone, so Apple might as well make a legit way to get them and make some money at the same time.

rbroady
Sep 8, 2007, 07:24 PM
Steve Jobs response:" umm...Buy an iPhone"

seriusly guys, im getting the touch but i dont expect it to have all the widgets and apps as the iphone will unless its relating to the actual "ipod" aspect of the touch.

PygmySurfer
Sep 8, 2007, 07:33 PM
I sent something there a while ago as well. If they get a lot of these, it might get us apps on the touch (unless they've already been planning it).

IMHO, they are planning it - look how empty that home screen is.

Pathfinder55
Sep 8, 2007, 07:50 PM
IMHO, they are planning it - look how empty that home screen is.

Good point

zap2
Sep 8, 2007, 07:53 PM
I'm sure they thought about it...but want the iPhone to keep its premium for a while.

aethelbert
Sep 8, 2007, 08:34 PM
Steve Jobs response:" umm...Buy an iPhone"

seriusly guys, im getting the touch but i dont expect it to have all the widgets and apps as the iphone will unless its relating to the actual "ipod" aspect of the touch.
Few of us are expecting the apps and widgets, we're wanting a way to make it possible (at least from the vibe that I've been noticing). Face it, someone's gonna hack those apps off of the iPhone right away... we all know it. But there's big money in it for Apple if they sell the same things on iTunes for like $5 per app/widget. People will pay (someone said that $20 for iChat would be fair). These won't hurt iPhone sales much, if at all. But it could be a pure profit thing for Apple. If someone goes out and buys all of the apps/widgets, it could easily be $20 or $30 of free money. With the two other components in the iPhone (plus having to deal with AT&T), Apple could be making the same amount (if not more) profit on the iPod than the actual iPhone.

I don't think that Steve Jobs cares about which Apple product you walk out of the store with, but how much money you're forking over to the folks on the Infinite Loop.

AppleFan08
Sep 8, 2007, 08:43 PM
I submitted one as well.

rbroady
Sep 8, 2007, 09:03 PM
Few of us are expecting the apps and widgets, we're wanting a way to make it possible (at least from the vibe that I've been noticing). Face it, someone's gonna hack those apps off of the iPhone right away... we all know it. But there's big money in it for Apple if they sell the same things on iTunes for like $5 per app/widget. People will pay (someone said that $20 for iChat would be fair). These won't hurt iPhone sales much, if at all. But it could be a pure profit thing for Apple. If someone goes out and buys all of the apps/widgets, it could easily be $20 or $30 of free money. With the two other components in the iPhone (plus having to deal with AT&T), Apple could be making the same amount (if not more) profit on the iPod than the actual iPhone.

I don't think that Steve Jobs cares about which Apple product you walk out of the store with, but how much money you're forking over to the folks on the Infinite Loop.

Thats true, but havent there been problems with being able to actually load the widgets onto the actual home page of the iphone?

the problem with ichat is that at&t will want to charge it as texts, yet touch users have it for free?? doesnt make sense...solution could be they could make it a text charge if its over EDGE.

theres a lot to consider.

i dont doubt there will be widgets and apps for the touch, but they are going to be different from ones on the iphone.

wakerider017
Sep 8, 2007, 09:04 PM
Great job guys keep up the good work!

This may seem small scale, but it could make a difference!

On a side note, a lot more people could be e-mailing Apple because of this thread! Unregisterd Users and People who are just not posting that they e-mailed!

Additionally this thread should show up on google in a few days and even more people can join in e-mailing!

Let everyone you know that is getting an iPod Touch know to e-mail Apple!!!

aethelbert
Sep 8, 2007, 09:21 PM
Thats true, but havent there been problems with being able to actually load the widgets onto the actual home page of the iphone?

the problem with ichat is that at&t will want to charge it as texts, yet touch users have it for free?? doesnt make sense...solution could be they could make it a text charge if its over EDGE.

theres a lot to consider.

i dont doubt there will be widgets and apps for the touch, but they are going to be different from ones on the iphone.
Umm... Saying that the widgets that are being discussed are native on the iPhone, I have no idea what you are talking about.

iChat is not SMS. It has absolutely nothing to do with AT&T.

People are wanting the basic widgets on the touch (like the some dashboard ones in 10.4). I don't see why a weather widget would be different on the iPod compared to the iPhone...

Let everyone you know that is getting an iPod Touch know to e-mail Apple!!!
And everyone that isn't getting an iPod touch, and everyone that you don't know! Well, you get the idea... Spread the word.

bns1201
Sep 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
emailed and sent to the ipod help thingy

FunkyMonkey
Sep 8, 2007, 11:14 PM
Wow, a lot of people have done this. I'm suprised. Good work, everyone!:)

wongulous
Sep 8, 2007, 11:21 PM
I sent an email...

Greetings Steve,

I am a 16-year Apple product user and follower, and I want the iPhone without the phone that you said you’d give us. The iPod touch is awesome, but it falls short. Where’s the mail? Where’s the widgets? Where’s some implementation of iChat with AIM or similar? I’m currently on a 5.5g iPod and 2g shuffle and I have Sprint for wireless service with a Treo that I dislike… AT&T is horrible in my area and not even an option. I’m around WiFi all day, anyway. I just bought a 17” MacBook Pro and I love to carry it with me but I can’t take it to work, social outings, shopping, emergencies, family functions, jogging, to the gym, to a nightclub, a restaurant, or wherever without looking strange, so I wanted an iPod touch (to work alongside a simple phone-only flip phone and my tiny Canon digicam I’ve usually with me)… but the iPod touch seems to have had features taken away to leave the iPhone looking the best. This is smart, except that I can’t get an iPhone.

Please let me know when the iPod touch will be upgraded to parity with the iPhone (sans the phone, of course). I know it must run a similar operating system, hardware, and obviously has the same screen and technology. I just don’t get why it has to be held back.

Cordially,

(me) :)

Nuc
Sep 8, 2007, 11:44 PM
I sent an email as well.

Nuc

EricNau
Sep 8, 2007, 11:49 PM
Now guys, let's not abuse his email. It's very valuable for people who are having legitimate problems, and I'd hate to see that lost.

Feature requests should be made through Apple's Product Feedback Page (http://www.apple.com/feedback/).

jackc
Sep 9, 2007, 12:10 AM
I'm all for the writing campaign, but I think the decision to "cripple" the iPod Touch was made very carefully. They knew those missing apps would be glaringly obvious when it came out.

TheBonk
Sep 9, 2007, 12:19 AM
I just don't get why people don't understand that Apple will not put those features on the Touch, at least not for quite a while. Apple wants to sell iPhones more than Touches. iPhone is their main priority. They need to reach the sales goal they promised. Face it, they are not going to make a cheaper iPhone clone to cripple the sales of thier iPhone, especially when they are also getting paid by AT&T to sell the iPhone.

Nermal
Sep 9, 2007, 12:19 AM

That's not an option if you live outside the US.

Regardless, I just tried out SmarterMail (http://www.smartertools.com/Products/SmarterMail/Default.aspx) on iPhoney (http://www.marketcircle.com/iphoney/), and it seemed to work perfectly.

Rapmastac1
Sep 9, 2007, 12:47 AM
Count me in too, just sent my opinion... And I just got two other friends of mine to do the same.

superspiffy
Sep 9, 2007, 01:06 AM
Here's my email! As much as I love the iPod Touch I don't think I'll be buying one. I don't think it's crap and I'm not dissing Apple, but for the moment, it does not suit my needs. If they increase the capacity or add the option to stick a card, then I'm on board but I simply can't justify going below my current 30 GB 5th gen.

Mr. Jobs, I think you've once again brought an exciting and innovative product to the world with the iPod Touch. I'm excited to get one if not for a few concerns. I'm thrilled that Apple is moving away from antiquated hard drives to more efficient solid state drives. That's why it's good to know that the iPod Touch is all flash memory, but 16 GB of it is a huge disappointment. I understand the power needs to make the device fully flash what with the huge screen, but I still think 16GB is far too inadequate for the job that the device is touted for: video consumption. I also understand that flash memory is still expensive, that's why I think if Apple wasn't prepared to bring larger capacity models, Apple should have included an SD slot, even as a BTO option. I think the memory is the biggest drawback of the iPod Touch.

My other concerns are the lack of apps and Apple's lack of support for providing kits to third party developers. I believe that if Apple is not willing to spend the time making apps for the iPod Touch, the device should at least be open to third party developers. If Apple is not willing to open the iPod Touch for this purpose, it should at least have more apps than the dozen or so that it comes with. The iPod Touch's empty menu is sorely begging for more apps. Some that I would like to see are: Notes, Mail and iChat at the very least. I think the iPod Touch has the potential to become something so much more, like a revitalize PDA on top of being a slick Portable Media Player. Hopefully Apple has plans to provide downloadable widgets in the future for the iPod Touch soon after its release.

I switched to the Mac platform this spring by buying a MacBook Pro. It's the first computer that I truly really loved. My journey to being a Mac user started out with an iPod that was given to me a year before that. From the moment I got that iPod I fell in love with it. It's elegant design and simplicity is match by no other player in the industry. I started to recognize and trust the brand name of Apple. I have eagerly anticipated the release of the iPod Touch and I had plans to buy one as soon as possible, but unfortunately because it holds less than my 30 GB iPod and lacks some key elements that could have easily been implemented, I'll probably have to wait for the next iPod iteration.

wumbo6
Sep 9, 2007, 01:18 AM
yeayea. take that senor jobs

PowerFullMac
Sep 9, 2007, 01:59 AM
Just done it. Of course I would prefer to do everything legitimately but if I cant ill just hack it like I did with my PSP and iPod Nano :D

AppleMatt389
Sep 9, 2007, 02:18 AM
mail, ichat and widgets maybe not..but at least notes! whats the point of this multitouch if the only time u can type is when in safari, itunes store or youtube?

at least give us notes.

bloodycape
Sep 9, 2007, 03:14 AM
Maybe if complain about it we can get the option of using UMS on the ipod touch, something that would for sure make me get one.

tjcampbell
Sep 9, 2007, 03:14 AM

Thanks, just begged them for MAIL. If the touch had email I'd buy it today. Cheers, Tom

Pathfinder55
Sep 9, 2007, 07:31 AM
Someone needs to get this same thing going on some other apple forums, so we can spread the word.

iCantwait
Sep 9, 2007, 07:45 AM
i just want to point out the fact that you are getting an IPOD with full screen, multitouch, wifi, wifi iTMS ect ect. AND in the option of 16gb. stop wingin' ppl outside of the USA cant get an iPhone anyway, so this if perfect!:D

and if u put on to many wifi reliant apps ppl ho do not have wifi access will be put off, any way most 3rd party iphone stuff will work on iPod touch.

ps why does safari 3 beta put a red line under iPhone and not iPod???

ddk121
Sep 9, 2007, 07:56 AM
After writing to you before, I have thought of a truly excellent feature for the iPod Touch. iTunes already has this feature. When in public, where there is a wi-fi hotspot, it would be good if you could 'share' your music with others. But only share, no sending . For example, you are in a shopping center, and on your iPod, pops up a message saying 'Other iPod's detected', or something similar. You would then tap this message, which would take you to the sharing screen. Within the sharing screen, you would be able to see other iPod's in range around you, choose if you would like to share music, and also which music to share. To see someone else's music, you would simply tap the name of their iPod, and then be able to see their music as if it was on your iPod. Of course, as soon as that other iPod disconnects from the w-fi point, the connection would be lost. Another advantage to this would be the fact that when you were listening to a shared song from someone else, a 'Buy' button would appear next to the track name, allowing you to the buy song, and have it on your iPod.
I hope you will consider this.

Not sure if it's a good idea, but worth a try :)

sblasl
Sep 9, 2007, 09:32 AM
GET IN LINE FOLKS

Why the heck would Apple provide you with all of these features that you are asking for when the iPhone hasn't even seen additional features as of yet?

The iPhone purchasers had valid concerns, you don't.

So Steve said he got hundred of e-mail from disgruntled iPhone users about the price cut and he DID something about it...

I have an iPod Touch on order and I would like more apps! Why shouldn't there be Mail, Maps and Stocks?

Please DO NOT post that the ipod is not a PDA. It has the same capabilities as the iPhone and why shouldn't they take advantage of them?

SO LETS ALL E-MAIL APPLE AND ASK THEM FOR MORE APPS...It can't hurt, so why not?

wakerider017
Sep 9, 2007, 09:52 AM
GET IN LINE FOLKS

Why the heck would Apple provide you with all of these features that you are asking for when the iPhone hasn't even seen additional features as of yet?

That is an Opinion...

iPhone is getting an update later this month with ITMS.

Keep up the good work guys! You are doing great!

FunkyMonkey
Sep 9, 2007, 11:01 AM
It seems like if Apple doesn't put these apps on the Touch, you should just buy an iPhone. WRONG!!!!!!! If apple doesn't do what we ask, big deal! The iPhone is very easy to put 3rd party apps on. The Touch runs the same OS, so it should be easy as well. Within the first two days, someone will have mail, stocks, weather, notes, and maybe even iChat.

So you guys, don't worry, either way, the Touch is getting those apps.

cmcconkey
Sep 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
I just don't get why people don't understand that Apple will not put those features on the Touch, at least not for quite a while. Apple wants to sell iPhones more than Touches. iPhone is their main priority. They need to reach the sales goal they promised. Face it, they are not going to make a cheaper iPhone clone to cripple the sales of thier iPhone, especially when they are also getting paid by AT&T to sell the iPhone.

Those that are going to buy an iPhone are the ones that have the desire for a phone. I am a happy and loyal Verizon customer and will never go back to Bell South/Cingular/AT&T. I have had very bad experiences with them and then not to mention that their service really blows around here. We joke about their ad campaign, "Raising the Bar" and "Fewest Dropped Calls". Well the "Fewest Dropped Calls" is the truth, I have to admit, you actually have to connect the call in order to drop the call.

The iPhone is not an option for me and never will be for me as long as it is on the AT&T network. I also believe that I am far from the only one that thinks this way about AT&T.

Christopher

cmcconkey
Sep 9, 2007, 11:24 AM
I have also sent out my feedback on the Touch. This device could be just as revolutionary as the iPod was years ago. I believe that we will see more features from Apple right before the release or shortly there after. They wouldn't have all that extra room on the home screen unless they already had a desire to fill it in the future. Also I would be willing to bet that they are going to keep a close hold on the iPhone and iPod Touch for a while, but not to dictate what you can and cannot have on your device, but to allow them time to work out the bugs and then once they have done that then it will be opened up to developers. I for one will be one that will drool over the nice new 3rd party hacks that will come out, but I will hold off because I don't want to brick my nice shiny iPod Touch.

Christopher

aethelbert
Sep 9, 2007, 11:36 AM
GET IN LINE FOLKS

If Apple sells these features as extra things, they make a boatload of money and get more iPod sales. That's why. This has NOTHING to do with the iPhone. If you're buying a touch, it's very, very likely that you have reasons not to buy the iPhone, with or without the new iPod on the market.

Apple is in the game for profit, not to see if they can sell more phones than iPods. If they can find a way to make profit off of something, they will.

wakerider017
Sep 9, 2007, 11:48 AM
If Apple sells these features as extra things, they make a boatload of money and get more iPod sales. That's why. This has NOTHING to do with the iPhone. If you're buying a touch, it's very, very likely that you have reasons not to buy the iPhone, with or without the new iPod on the market.

Apple is in the game for profit, not to see if they can sell more phones than iPods. If they can find a way to make profit off of something, they will.

Exactly.

I think the whole "The iPod will cannibalize iPhone sales if they add similar features" Is out the windows now since the $200 price cut on the iPhone.

People buying the iPod DON'T want an iPhone, but they still want the features. And if it means paying extra for those features (like iPod games) I am okay with that.

Keep up the great work guys! And don't forget to spread the word about this thread!

bloodycape
Sep 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
exactly I am content with my cell phone provider, and my phone for the most part. The ipod touch would be nice, but again it does not have damn UMS support as I really despise itunes(or any intermediary software), so becomes out of the question. SDHC support would be really nice, but Apple is never that nice.

wakerider017
Sep 9, 2007, 03:34 PM
exactly I am content with my cell phone provider, and my phone for the most part. The ipod touch would be nice, but again it does not have damn UMS support as I really despise itunes(or any intermediary software), so becomes out of the question. SDHC support would be really nice, but Apple is never that nice.

A nice thought, but unrealistic.

bloodycape
Sep 9, 2007, 08:13 PM
A nice thought, but unrealistic.

Which part and how so?

wakerider017
Sep 9, 2007, 08:31 PM
Which part and how so?

Apple wants you to use iTunes. I don't think they will be allowing "drag and drop" anytime soon IMO.

aristobrat
Sep 9, 2007, 08:38 PM
UMS support? Wow! :eek:

It makes me shudder to imagine trying to manually manage my music via drag 'n drop!!!!

I used to think iTunes, Windows Media player and the likes were all inherently evil, but now there is simply no way I could enjoy a MP3 player that didn't support Smart Playlists, etc. They save me hours of work I'd have to do manually, and make listening to my music a whole lot more enjoyable.

To each their own though. :)

wakerider017
Sep 9, 2007, 08:54 PM

It makes me shudder to imagine trying to manually manage my music via drag 'n drop!!!!

I used to think iTunes, Windows Media player and the likes were all inherently evil, but now there is simply no way I could enjoy a MP3 player that didn't support Smart Playlists, etc. They save me hours of work I'd have to do manually, and make listening to my music a whole lot more enjoyable.

+1

I could not live with out playlists.

bloodycape
Sep 10, 2007, 01:22 AM

I have my music organized in folder by one main music folder, then have them by artist and then by the album name, and in that, I have it organized by track #, and name of the song. So to me everything is all correctly organized. But, what I am saying is do like how Sandisk, or Cowon, lets you use either UMS or MTP if you bough a song that is DRM'ed by MS.

Nermal
Sep 10, 2007, 01:30 AM
Maybe if complain about it we can get the option of using UMS on the ipod touch, something that would for sure make me get one.

I feel like a bit of an idiot asking this, but what's UMS?

EricNau
Sep 10, 2007, 01:37 AM
I feel like a bit of an idiot asking this, but what's UMS?
USB Mass Storage? ...So we wouldn't have to use iTunes. We could just plug it in and the iPod would show up as a storage device.

:confused: Just a guess.

Nemisis
Sep 10, 2007, 02:45 AM
I sent a feedback.

I also sent feedback on the topic in my signature...:)

seh80
Sep 10, 2007, 04:22 AM
I sent feedback as well. Can't hurt!

Nermal
Sep 10, 2007, 05:15 AM
USB Mass Storage? ...So we wouldn't have to use iTunes. We could just plug it in and the iPod would show up as a storage device.

:confused: Just a guess.

You mean like the "Enable disk use" option we have now? :confused:

bloodycape
Sep 10, 2007, 06:11 AM
You mean like the "Enable disk use" option we have now? :confused:

Not really, UMS allows you to do is let you drag your music or movie files from any OS you choose with out the need of third party software at all.

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 06:54 AM
Not really, UMS allows you to do is let you drag your music or movie files from any OS you choose with out the need of third party software at all.

Bye Bye Smart playlists.

99.9% of users would probably rather have iTunes.

If you have a large music collection his is Sooooooooo not practical.

bloodycape
Sep 10, 2007, 07:13 AM
Bye Bye Smart playlists.

99.9% of users would probably rather have iTunes.

If you have a large music collection his is Sooooooooo not practical.

3000 songs is fairly solid amount of songs. I have managed to organize my music when I am at home playing it on either itunes or media-player depending on machine I am on. So for me UMS is perfect. Then again I never use or make playlist.

jonnylink
Sep 10, 2007, 08:07 AM
SO LETS ALL E-MAIL APPLE AND ASK THEM FOR MORE

Done. Though it would also take a bigger hard drive to fit me into one of those. I hear 32gb may be in the not too distant future though.

gloss
Sep 10, 2007, 08:15 AM
Hi guys. I'm a longtime Apple consumer and was thrilled to see the introduction of the iPod Touch last week. However, I note that as of today you've removed from the advertising literature the ability to modify contacts from the iPod. While this clearly made sense on the original touch-wheel models, it seems nonsensical to remove an already-available feature simply (I assume) for the sake of feature-control. Frankly, it makes no sense to force customers to hack their devices in order to gain functionality which could easily have been included on the device (I'm referring also to a Notes function).

The Touch is a beautifully designed device, but by limiting its feature set thus you're only alienating people who would otherwise gladly purchase such a multi-featured product.

Thanks for your time.

Rawr.

AppleMatt389
Sep 10, 2007, 08:29 AM
Rawr.

i cant seem to find the qoute that ur qouting..but iPod touch does enable u to edit contacts/calendar on the go.

this is from the ipod touch section of the apple website

"And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store or adding new contacts."

gloss
Sep 10, 2007, 08:30 AM
i cant seem to find the qoute that ur qouting..but iPod touch does enable u to edit contacts/calendar on the go.

this is from the ipod touch section of the apple website

"And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store or adding new contacts."

That was the message I sent to Apple. They removed the bit about 'adding new contacts' this morning.

AppleMatt389
Sep 10, 2007, 08:39 AM
Rawr.

That was the message I sent to Apple. They removed the bit about 'adding new contacts' this morning.

but i just got that from the apple site, the australian apple site mind you.

however..i looked on apple.com and if you go apple.com -> ipod touch -> features -> multi-touch, at the end of the first paragraph..it still says that thing about editing contacts.

you say it was removed? which website are you talking about..coz maybe im missing something here.

clevin
Sep 10, 2007, 08:53 AM
mine
as a owner of 2 macs, Im considering my first ever iPod, -iPod Touch, however, as Im interested in using it as a PDA, I noticed the significant defects of the device.

3rd party apps, natively, not ridiculous web-apps, is in great need. if I ever need to replace my Palm T|X, as its current form, iPod Touch has basically no chance of doing so.

SD expansion slot. All PDAs have it, I think of no reason why iPod Touch doesn't.

I would love to buy my first iPod (since you want to call it that way), but above two concerns are very important, and will greatly influence my decision.

gloss
Sep 10, 2007, 09:07 AM
but i just got that from the apple site, the australian apple site mind you.

however..i looked on apple.com and if you go apple.com -> ipod touch -> features -> multi-touch, at the end of the first paragraph..it still says that thing about editing contacts.

you say it was removed? which website are you talking about..coz maybe im missing something here.

Sorry, I mis-typed. It was the ability to make new calendar dates that was removed (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/apple-cripples-ipod-touch-eliminates-add-button-from-calendar-297994.php).

AppleMatt389
Sep 10, 2007, 09:13 AM
Sorry, I mis-typed. It was the ability to make new calendar dates that was removed (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/apple-cripples-ipod-touch-eliminates-add-button-from-calendar-297994.php).

so the "add a calendar event" wasnt there in the gizmodo video and its been taken off all the apple sites now. seems you're right. why on earth would they allow u to add contacts but not calendar events.

surprisingly..the calendar was gonna be a big buying point for me. nice diary replacement. how very very annoying.

gkarris
Sep 10, 2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the coordinated effort.

I put in a request to the website the day they were announced, and just wrote Steve and email to add editing capabilities to the calendar and contacts, and add the Notes app as well!!!

Let's keep hoping!!!

gloss
Sep 10, 2007, 09:30 AM
By the way, evidence has been produced hinting that an iPhone/iPod SDK will be included in Leopard in October.

Let's hope this is true!

AppleMatt389
Sep 10, 2007, 09:35 AM
By the way, evidence has been produced hinting that an iPhone/iPod SDK will be included in Leopard in October.

Let's hope this is true!

where did u see this? any links?

macpluslaptop
Sep 10, 2007, 09:40 AM
What's an SDK?:confused:

i0Nic
Sep 10, 2007, 09:44 AM

Let's hope this is true!

link please

mari0
Sep 10, 2007, 09:45 AM
Done and said

"On the iPod touch I think apple should improve the functionality.

It is already a fantastic iPod already so why not use the cut down os x to make the best ever iPod. For example use notes and stickies (everyone always has there ipods on them) Let the user edit there calendar. Add widgets, such as saving googlemaps directions to your iPod. Add mail to the iPod, not everyone wants to go to there computer to read there mail and if you have wifi why not just go the full way. Most people are very serious about apple products and what functionality they offer them. So maybe just think about what you are offering to the user as they are paying for products that support your company. "

gloss
Sep 10, 2007, 09:47 AM
link please

Here (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/25/possible-evidence-that-leopard-could-bring-true-iphone-apps/). I've mostly heard it mentioned by third parties, but this is the first link Google came up with.

SirCrumpet
Sep 10, 2007, 10:10 AM
Emailed and submitted. If it can make him respond by giving people free money (kinda) surely we can get a couple of apps :) My email follows:

Mr Jobs,

Having been an avid iPod supporter and user for years, as well as a seller of iPod products through an Apple Authorised Reseller in Australia, I, along with thousands of others, watched recent release of the new iPod range and have recently ordered a 16Gb iPod Touch from the Australian Apple Online store. I am writing this letter as I would like to take the time to comment on the recent rumors that the iPod Touch is being deliberately and artificially restricted in the available applications (particularly the Notes, Mail and Maps applications, as well as the ability to add new calendar events), presumably to greater differentiate the product lines of the iPhone and the iPod Touch.

While I can certainly see why Apple may feel that this is a decision they can or should make and get away with, I personally feel that the decision is flawed for a number of reasons.

Primarily, the idea that the Touch should be differentiated from the iPhone is only really relevant in the United States, as the iPhone is currently limited to sales there. The rest of the world was eagerly awaiting an "iPhone without a phone" to be released at the recent "The Beat Goes On" event as something to tide us through until the iPhone is released in our part of the world (currently some time after 2008 in Australia) - at the time the Touch appeared to be a godsend, and in many ways it still is, however the lack of some of these applications pointlessly limits the device for those outside of the US - you are not encouraging us to move to the iPhone as it is not available, you are instead pushing customers AWAY from your product to competing brands that can offer those features.

Secondly, in my mind there is really no reason why these Applications should be disabled. By all accounts it appears that the Touch is running the same software as the iPhone, and may even be running some of the same hardware, meaning that the limit is purely artificial. If people are considering the purchase of either the iPod Touch or the iPhone, there is already enough of a difference between the products without needing to artificially enhance one over the other. The inclusion of a camera, bluetooth, "always available" internet access and the phone module itself is already more than enough to place the iPhone as an attractive option for the consumer - especially with the recently announced price drop.

I fully understand that these are only rumors and that this may be premature, however I firmly believe that limiting the functionality of the Touch with no real basis behind it will, in the long run, do more harm to Apple than good. I sincerely hope that if the iPod Touch does not come with these applications installed, that they will be available somehow as an official download, either via firmware updates or even for purchase via iTunes - as long as the purchase is available to people outside of the United States.

Sincerely yours,
Eugene Turner,
[my email]
[my phone]

The Stig
Sep 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
I want notes :(

The Stig

SirCrumpet
Sep 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
I want notes :(

The Stig

*sigh* Don't we all?

ksolano
Sep 10, 2007, 10:47 AM
hi.. i've just sent this letter to steve,

sjobs@mac.com

Greetings Steve.
I’m a long time apple user and when the ipod touch was first announced I was very excited like us all and yourself.
When the new IpodTouch was up on the apple store it was really interesting to read that I would be able to “find music on the iTunes Wi-Fi music store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts” again I quote from the apple store.
With that I was so excited i actually made a pre-order (my first apple preorder)

Please can you tell be why, oh why have you changed this? Now the advert is changed!? Can I ask: will I be able to enter calendar events? If not then why would you take my pre-order and then sell me something different to what I expected?

Thanks for your time and patience, Kevin.

jackc
Sep 10, 2007, 10:49 AM
Proofreading is your friend :)

hi.. i've just sent this letter to steve,

sjobs@mac.com

Greetings Steve.
I’m a long time apple user and when the ipod touch was first announced I was very excited like us all and yourself.
When the new IpodTouch was up on the apple store it was really interesting to read that I would be able to “find music on the iTunes Wi-Fi music store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts” again I quote from the apple store.
With that I was so excited i actually made a pre-order (my first apple preorder)

Please can you tell be why, oh why have you changed this? Now the advert is changed!? Can I ask: will I be able to enter calendar events? If not then why would you take my pre-order and then sell me something different to what I expected?

Thanks for your time and patience, Kevin.

Zwhaler
Sep 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
Now with the inability to edit calendar dates, we have another thing to complain about.

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 01:10 PM
Here (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/25/possible-evidence-that-leopard-could-bring-true-iphone-apps/). I've mostly heard it mentioned by third parties, but this is the first link Google came up with.

Fingers Crossed. :)

Zwhaler
Sep 10, 2007, 07:49 PM
I just emailed Steve about the missing calendar editing. I hope we can get it back...

zflauaus
Sep 10, 2007, 08:13 PM
Has anybody thought that Apple may pull another iPhone? What I mean by that is basically releasing more apps/features with the iPod touch when it is released like they did with YouTube on the iPhone?

Just a thought.

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 08:15 PM
Has anybody thought that Apple may pull another iPhone? What I mean by that is basically releasing more apps/features with the iPod touch when it is released like they did with YouTube on the iPhone?

Just a thought.

Very Possible!

cmcconkey
Sep 10, 2007, 08:28 PM

Just a thought.

Even if they weren't planning it when they first announced it, I would be willing to bet that they will be now with all the activity that has been going on since people have been noticing the features (well the lack of).

I believe that they will be announcing multiple new features on the actual release date.

Christopher

aethelbert
Sep 10, 2007, 09:04 PM

Just a thought.
It's possible, but somewhat unlikely. They for sure won't be filling up that screen on the release day. I'm most interested in the simple widgets (weather, stocks) like the iPhone. These are so simple to put onto the device and they would make many people happy, and maybe even encourage some more sales.

Pathfinder55
Sep 29, 2007, 06:50 PM
I posted something asking them to put some apps on iTunes.

juanster
Sep 29, 2007, 06:57 PM
i also posted asking for some apple apps for the touch

thespazz
Sep 29, 2007, 08:01 PM
so you guys bought a touch even though there's no functionality and wrote a letter about it.

way to go guys!

idiots.

iMJustAGuy
Sep 29, 2007, 08:04 PM

SO LETS ALL E-MAIL APPLE AND ASK THEM FOR MORE APPS... It can't hurt, so why not?

sjobs@mac.com

or

bc it isnt an iphone!! quit complaining....and the ONLY reason he safari was bc some hotspots require web pages to open to sign in.

Hitch
Sep 29, 2007, 08:27 PM
GET IN LINE FOLKS

Why is this attitude out there that the iPod touch users are somehow second class to iPhone users? I read opinions that "the touch is a clone of the iPhone", or that "the touch is the trainning wheels for iPhone", etc, etc.

The iPod touch 16GB costs the same as the iPhone, so it can't be just about price, people that bough the touch when they could have bougth the iPhone did so on purpose, because it fit their needs better. Others bought it because the iPhone wasn't available. But I'm not sure that they are many tough users that bought it just to save a few bucks. So, to the iPhone users, get off our high horses, this is not a zero-sum game.

Hitch
Sep 29, 2007, 08:33 PM
bc it isnt an iphone!! quit complaining....and the ONLY reason he safari was bc some hotspots require web pages to open to sign in.

A few questions:
- Why do you need a hot spot to play mp3s?
- Why does the iPhone have Safari when it's just a phone?
- Why does the iPhone have editable calendars when it's just a phone?
- Is it because its a smart (well, sorta smart) phone
- So is the iPod touch maybe a smart iPod?

Football1maniac
Sep 29, 2007, 08:39 PM
I also sent an email to Steve jobs about the idea of buying apps over the iTunes store. No reply yet. I sent it to sjobs@apple.com. Hopefully apple does something about it.

Joedy
Sep 29, 2007, 09:05 PM
I sent my email in.

I've requested enterable calendar events, a note entering program and a book/file reader program.

For me, these are the only things that the iPod Touch is missing.

-joedy

Football1maniac
Sep 29, 2007, 09:14 PM
I sent my email in.

I've requested enterable calendar events, a note entering program and a book/file reader program.

For me, these are the only things that the iPod Touch is missing.

-joedy

I was just reading a forum about the notes apps. Did you know that if you went under contacts and create a new contact. Go under "new field" and select notes. You can now enter notes on your ipod touch. Beat that iphone owners. :p

iMJustAGuy
Sep 29, 2007, 09:38 PM
A few questions:
- Why do you need a hot spot to play mp3s?
- Why does the iPhone have Safari when it's just a phone?
- Why does the iPhone have editable calendars when it's just a phone?
- Is it because its a smart (well, sorta smart) phone
- So is the iPod touch maybe a smart iPod?

because they wanted to incorporate the wi-fi music store..;)

iskhj000
Sep 30, 2007, 12:01 AM
Just sent feedback on Apple's iPod Feedback page. Everyone else should do this so we can make a difference.
Overall I really like what you guys did with the iTouch. Video and pictures are great. Wifi is nice.

Can you please fix the calendar so I can update a reminder to let my battery charge down and then recharge it monthly.

PS: Minor request...Can you add some games????

juanster
Sep 30, 2007, 10:14 AM
so you guys bought a touch even though there's no functionality and wrote a letter about it.

way to go guys!

idiots.

nono, some of us won t be buyinga touch until there is MORE functionality in it, but way to go by reading the rest of the forum before posting.....it's always the same, the less you knwo the more you talk about it.....idiots