Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhoneAlley details a technique to trick the iPhone into using any custom audio file as your voicemail greeting.

At present, you have to record your greeting by recording directly into the iPhone microphone -- the results of which are average, of course.

Besides creating an audio file in the right format (Adaptive Multi-Rate), you also need to trick the iPhone to upload your new greeting to the AT&T servers:
On the iPhone, go into voicemail and tap "Greeting". Record a few seconds of something and tap stop. Before you tap save, use iFuntastic or SFTP to navigate to /var/root/Library/Voicemail on your iPhone. You'll see a file called "Greeting. amr". This is the audio you just recorded. Delete that file and replace it with your custom message which should then be renamed to "Greeting.amr". Tap "Play" on the iPhone to verify your message works. If it plays, tap "Save" and your custom message will be uploaded to AT&T's servers.

Of course, this option is only available for those brave enough to hack their iPhone.

Article Link

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
oh no...more calling people and having to listen to some stupid song they choose, everyone's annoying custom ringtones are bad enough

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
oh no...more calling people and having to listen to some stupid song they choose, everyone's annoying custom ringtones are bad enough

heh, back in college I hacked into our dorm PBX to add a higher-quality version of my chosen outgoing message. (I was an assistant sysadmin that included adminning the PBX, so it wasn't a big deal to hack in that way.) I had a clip of No Doubt's "Spiderwebs" (the part that goes "Sorry I'm not home right now I'm walking into spiderwebs So leave a message And I'll call you back", specifically.)

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I think I will pass on this one. I don't really need or want a song as my greeting. I really wish there was an option to simply record my name. I always think my greeting sounds dumb and the regular AT&T one is annoying and too long.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
This makes me wonder. Can the headphone jack be used as an audio in? The iPhone headphones have the mic, so I assume its possible. Has someone done this already?

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I think I will pass on this one. I don't really need or want a song as my greeting. I really wish there was an option to simply record my name. I always think my greeting sounds dumb and the regular AT&T one is annoying and too long.

You can record a custom greeting on the iPhone, Just tap greeting when you are in voicemail and then tap on custom and it will start recording.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You don't have to use a song. You can record anything in garagband for instance and upload it.

iPhone's mic must really stink if people are willing to put a higher quality recording up for people with phones (8-bit) to listen to. It's gonna sound terrible no matter what.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
You can record a custom greeting on the iPhone, Just tap greeting when you are in voicemail and then tap on custom and it will start recording.

I know that. I was saying that I wish there was an option where all I had to do was record my name, not an entire greeting. Awhile back AT&T had an automated message that would just make you record you name and it would enter the name into the automated message. That way it said you weren't available instead of reading the phone number in the message.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
You don't have to use a song. You can record anything in garagband for instance and upload it.

iPhone's mic must really stink if people are willing to put a higher quality recording up for people with phones (8-bit) to listen to. It's gonna sound terrible no matter what.

Maybe it's not just the quality, but degree of sophistication. Maybe somebody wants to go into the studio, lay down a little funky bass line opener, fire up the drum machine, run their voice through some reverb or flange. I wouldn't do it, but I could see how it might be amusing.

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
I know that. I was saying that I wish there was an option where all I had to do was record my name, not an entire greeting. Awhile back AT&T had an automated message that would just make you record you name and it would enter the name into the automated message. That way it said you weren't available instead of reading the phone number in the message.
There is, but you can't do it through the iPhone interface. Call yourself and go log into your voicemail. Once in, you'll be back to the old familiar voicemail routine before your iPhone. Select option 4 (Personal Options) > 3 (Greetings) > 3 (Recorded Name)

Once your name is recorded, if you're using the standard greeting it will say your name instead of the phone number.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
My one friend, who's a very mellow person, has a freaking ringback tone that's about 5 notches too loud and it distorts everytime you call him... it's some emo song too. Creative freedom should be enforced.

Annndy!

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Halethorpe, MD
heh, back in college I hacked into our dorm PBX to add a higher-quality version of my chosen outgoing message. (I was an assistant sysadmin that included adminning the PBX, so it wasn't a big deal to hack in that way.) I had a clip of No Doubt's "Spiderwebs" (the part that goes "Sorry I'm not home right now I'm walking into spiderwebs So leave a message And I'll call you back", specifically.)

My ex-girlfriend used the same clip for her cell phone...except she's not that smart so she recorded it playing off her stereo with her phone. Blegh. Sounded terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.