Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
all the new ipods have the headphone jack at the bottom??

why???

i liked it at the top!!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It has been that way on the Nano since the 1G Nano, they probably decided to standardise it now and chose the bottom

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
With the original shuffle, I get it (with the lanyard accessory and so on). I've never really understood it beyond that. But I live fine with my Nano (2G) being this way.... you have to make some small adjustments, like if you put it in your pocket, you should put it in upside down (so that the jack doesn't mash against the pocket bottom).

But yeah.... I'd guess there's some other reason behind it, engineering-wise. The jack was a fairly common failure point on older iPods, wasn't it (my 3G fullsize is fine, but I seem to remember there were lots of people who had the jack go bad). Maybe that has something to do with it.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I think it's because they (Apple) couldn't fit the jack behind the screen in such a small device.

eYeBALL

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2007
its at the bottom because then the headphone cable loops up underneath the ipod and doesnt fall down in front of the screen when the jack was on the top

i think

AppleFan08

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
its at the bottom because then the headphone cable loops up underneath the ipod and doesnt fall down in front of the screen when the jack was on the top

i think

lol, i'd buy it! I know with my 80gb i hated when that happend.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
i think it is because when iPod's are in your pocket you put it in upside down and the controls make sense when you feel them( the right way up). On the touch i would say it is an engineering reason.

Nayrb

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
Virginia
^Sounds like a good enough reason to me, as for the touch I hope either Apple or a 3rd party company comes up with some physical buttons that plugs into the dock connector for pocket browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.