Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Wouldn't it be cool if the 4G iPods have Bluetooth? It wouldn't be used for transferring music, but it would be good for transferring contacts, to-do items, and playlist information. Imagine if you haven't added music, but have changed playlists or contacts on your Mac, you could just have it sync up via Bluetooth instead of having to get a cable out and fire up iTunes just so it figures out it doesn't need to transfer any music.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
well i agree. or built in airport extreme

i once had an idea. where apple makes a special mouse pad (or just a pad) where all you have to do is lay your ipod on it ,in any position and the ipod would automatically be connected to your computer and be recharging at the same time.. sort of like how some Electric Razors are charged even tho there is no physical connection . the power is sent through plastic. hope im making sense.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
yeah, that's actually not a bad idea. most of the time i just plug my iPod in to sync play count and playlists. it's a real hassle to unplug it from my stereo and take out my spare FW wire and plug it into my tibook... of course, i would want internal bluetooth on my tibook too, none of that sticking out the back crap. oh well...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
this has been suggested many times. frankly, it's not fast enough to transfer music, so why bother just to sync other stuff? That's way too complicated for Apple. Bluetooth is great for a lot of things, but some things just can't be based on it...

pnw

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by paulwhannel
this has been suggested many times. frankly, it's not fast enough to transfer music, so why bother just to sync other stuff? That's way too complicated for Apple. Bluetooth is great for a lot of things, but some things just can't be based on it...

pnw
i agree that it's not an original idea, but quite honestly, how often do you sync to transfer music? the first time you get the thing, and then whenever you get a new CD. that's not very often for the average user. however, it's quite likely that people make mixes and want their smart playlists updated often, and this is only done by syncing. so i would gues that 3/4 of the time BT would have enough bandwidth to sync your 'pod. heck, i would sync my ipod daily if it had BT and i had a module. it will be a very useful feature as BT becomes more widespread, if they implement it.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Well now with the dock it's not that much of a hassle anymore to connect the iPod to the computer... just leave the dock plugged in the whole time, and just stick the iPod into the dock. Then you can just walk away for a few minutes, you know, have a cup of coffee, and when you come back, your music, calendar, and contacts are all updated and you're ready to go.

irmongoose

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by adamfilip
i think bluetooth would be cool if you wanted to share music with another person that has an ipod.. being able to transfer .. sorta like beeming on the palm pilots

Okay. 2 problems here.

1. That is piracy. Copying your music files over to your friend's is just like putting the file on a P2P network. It doesn't matter if he's your good ol' buddy, it's the same thing.

2. As numerous people have already mentioned, bluetooth is SLOW. Even if Apple took the risk of getting the iPods out of production and breaking the contracts with the record labels for iTMS just to give some users who have friends with iPods the ability to "share" songs, you would have to sit there with your iPods facing each other with stupid looks on your faces as you wait 30 minutes for your playlist to copy over to your friend's iPod.

irmongoose

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
wel, since BT is i think only about 1MBps, wouldn't that be enough to stream music? i had an idea a while back for b uilt in AE in the iods so then you could do the whol rendevous thing and listen to internet radio sreams like in iTunes.

maccarone

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2003
milan
jogging with a wireless ipod

I think bluetooth would be great to connect an ipod to bluetooth earphones in order to get rid of all the connection cables.

I have tested a solution with itrip and sony radio-earphones and it sounds good. With bluetooth I think it would be even better.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
wel, since BT is i think only about 1MBps, wouldn't that be enough to stream music? i had an idea a while back for b uilt in AE in the iods so then you could do the whol rendevous thing and listen to internet radio sreams like in iTunes.

Congratulations, you just (at least) doubled the size and price of the iPod. Now no one will buy it, which is fine since the record companies will have pulled their iTMS contracts anyway. And thus, the iPod goes the way of the Newton. yay!

pnw

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Re: jogging with a wireless ipod

Originally posted by maccarone
I think bluetooth would be great to connect an ipod to bluetooth earphones in order to get rid of all the connection cables.

I agree. This was the first thing I thought of when I read bluetooth. You could also have a bluetooth remove for skipping songs and adjusting volume, although I'm sure people would lose it really easily. Maybe it could come on a watch or something. :)

Alia

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.