PDA

View Full Version : Old iPod Upgrade Options?

Cuyahoga
Sep 8, 2007, 08:18 PM
Like many people, I have an older iPod (3G, 40 GB) with terrible battery life (<1 hour), and I'm looking enviously at the new iPod Classics. If I got a new one, it would be the 160 GB Classic, refurbished (probably $299).

Which do you think is the best option:

*Buy 160GB Refurb (~$299), dispose of 40 GB
*Buy New 160GB with 10% Recycling discount
*Buy ~ $20 replacement battery and install myself
*Buy $70 Apple replacement battery

And here are some important, related questions:
***Does Apple give you a new (or newer) iPod generation-wise with the $70 purchase?
*Is there anyway to apply the 10% recycling discount to a refurb?
*Any point in selling the thing on eBay with terrible battery life?

Thanks a ton in advance!

AppleFan08
Sep 8, 2007, 08:37 PM
Ugh jeez man. Just make a decision...i dont mean to sound like a prick, but you dont need everyone here to decide for you. Treat yourself to a new ipod and throw the 3g away, its not worth trying to revive.

Cuyahoga
Sep 8, 2007, 11:32 PM
Ugh i dont mean to sound like a prick

Try a little harder next time. :rolleyes:

Notice that there were legitimate questions in the OP...not just "is this a good idea" stuff. Maybe I should hold off on the advance thank you next time...people never cease to amaze me.

Anyway, back to the question.

flying dog
Sep 9, 2007, 12:10 AM
The battery is easy to replace on the 3g model. I'd replace it and if you really want something new, ebay it as a working unit.

sahnert
Sep 9, 2007, 12:27 AM
I replaced the battery in my 3G (15GB) and it was pretty easy. The new battery lasts longer than the original ever did. If you don't need more space and the new features just replace the battery yourself and put $279 into savings!

Cal City Kid
Sep 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
I replaced my 3g battery last Oct with one I purchased from ipodjuice. The instructions couldn't have been easier to follow and it was 15 minutes start-to-finish.

Sdashiki
Sep 12, 2007, 08:02 AM
I replaced my 3g battery last Oct with one I purchased from ipodjuice. The instructions couldn't have been easier to follow and it was 15 minutes start-to-finish.

I am thinking of getting a mini battery from them, the last el cheapo I got wont hold a charge anymore. After a few months.

$35 for a 750ma from ipodjuice.com dont seem so bad.

Maybe cost DOES make a difference!? ;)

rockthecasbah
Sep 12, 2007, 02:39 PM
The thing you have to consider is when refurbished models will appear. Often times Apple won't start selling them on their online store until at least a couple months after new launches (and when a stock of them actually come back to Apple). If you can hold on for that long is your choice.

If i had to vote for one, the Classics are very nice. If you buy a battery you have to worry about having a problem with installation, how long it will last, etc. With a Classic you'll get much better battery life, color screen, and massive capacity. My vote is for a Classic, either refurb. if you can wait or 10% program if you can't (I don't see you being able to sell the iPod for much more than that since it's not in that great of shape).

Cuyahoga
Sep 12, 2007, 03:37 PM
I decided to get a cheap battery replacement ($13.99 w/ shipping!) for the 40GB. That should hold me until Classic refurbs pop up, and then I should be able to sell the 40 for maybe $80 or so (assuming the battery works well).