PDA

View Full Version : iPod Classic Nicer or Uglier

mac17
Sep 8, 2007, 09:54 PM
Has anyone got the ipod classic? Is the design in person nicer or uglier then the 5g ipod?

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 8, 2007, 10:31 PM
Has anyone got the ipod classic? Is the design in person nicer or uglier then the 5g ipod?

I went and saw them at the apple store today, and I like the old ones better. I'm sure many people like the new ones more (and I'm sure apple did the research). It really comes down to personal preference. What I'm sure everyone will agree with is that coverflow is horrible. it's slugish, it's glitchy, and it doesn't flow quite the same way as it does in iTunes.

Looks like I'll just have to shell out a few more bucks for the 16GB iPod Touch. (apple has an iPod for everyone)

mac17
Sep 8, 2007, 10:35 PM
I went and saw them at the apple store today, and I like the old ones better. I'm sure many people like the new ones more (and I'm sure apple did the research). It really comes down to personal preference. What I'm sure everyone will agree with is that coverflow is horrible. it's slugish, it's glitchy, and it doesn't flow quite the same way as it does in iTunes.

Looks like I'll just have to shell out a few more bucks for the 16GB iPod Touch. (apple has an iPod for everyone)

Is it just my computer (mbp 2.2) that the coverflow is glitchy in itunes? The BEST coverflow with zero glitches is the iphones imo.

Koodauw
Sep 8, 2007, 10:36 PM
The new iPod classic is very nice. Its even thinner, and the metal look is very sleek. I love the new look.

sharp65
Sep 8, 2007, 10:41 PM
The new ones look much sleeker, the silver looks great.

mahonmeister
Sep 8, 2007, 10:45 PM
Is it just my computer (mbp 2.2) that the coverflow is glitchy in itunes? The BEST coverflow with zero glitches is the iphones imo.My PowerBook stumbles with coverflow, but it is usable. How on earth is it not smooth on your beast of a machine?

I really like the new iPod classic design, but the old one is just as good imo.

mac17
Sep 8, 2007, 10:58 PM
My PowerBook stumbles with coverflow, but it is usable. How on earth is it not smooth on your beast of a machine?

I really like the new iPod classic design, but the old one is just as good imo.

well i was just playing with it, it is smooth as butter, but at times it does tend to glitch up.

Karpfish
Sep 8, 2007, 11:02 PM
I have a classic and a 5G, the classic wins by a landslide
:apple:

mcdj
Sep 8, 2007, 11:17 PM
I like the look of my black 160, but the front edges are flippin sharp.

Alloye
Sep 8, 2007, 11:22 PM
I saw them in person today. I think the new classic looks better than my 5.5G. What's really surprising, however, is how nice the new nano looks. The display on that thing is amazing.

rockthecasbah
Sep 8, 2007, 11:24 PM
I like the look of the Silver, particularly the 80GB. It has more character, the new black seems like it is missing something, some pizazz. The 5th Gen glossy black was beautiful, but this is dull. Otherwise I really have nothing to complain about. Coverflow isn't great but it doesn't work well on my computer now anyway and I never use it because it's impractical so that doesn't affect me. The new half menu/preview is very slick.

Blue Velvet
Sep 8, 2007, 11:25 PM
Any iPod that holds 160gb looks amazing. ;)

The silver one in photos at least looks kinda sparkly and a little tacky; haven't seen them in real life yet. Really want one just for the capacity alone.

ebouwman
Sep 8, 2007, 11:33 PM
i think they look pretty good, but i kinda preffer the 5G a little, but then again i haven't seen the new ones in person yet.

I would really like to get a touch though :rolleyes:

spaceballl
Sep 9, 2007, 12:39 AM
I think the new ones look better. However, I don't like that there is now a seam between the screen and the metal, whereas in the 5G, the acrylic covered the whole thing.

Definitely a classy looking device though!

Zwhaler
Sep 9, 2007, 01:22 AM
I like the old white ones better. These look like they have a case on for some reason.

superspiffy
Sep 9, 2007, 02:02 AM
I've seen the new ones in person and they no doubt look beautiful. The silver gives the 6th gen iPod a stronger and solid look. But I still prefer the 5th gen design. I like that plastic front despite what others will say about how it easily gets scratched. It gives it that glossy, shiny look that's still with the iPod Touch.

I remember I cringe a little when the 2nd gen nano came out with the all aluminum look. It took some getting use to from the glossy look I liked of the first nano. But I grew to love the second gen look more than 1st gen look. So who knows, maybe I'll grow to love the aluminum look of the new iPods better than the 5th gens.

giganten
Sep 9, 2007, 02:12 AM
I think it looks good.

tom5304
Sep 9, 2007, 02:18 AM
I like the metal look of the newer model, as opposed to the plastic look of the previous one. The old models got smudgy fast, and the metallic finish looks less prone to smudging.

When it comes to the look of the interface, though, I actually like the 5g iPod better than the 5.5g or the 6g Classic. The old UI was relatively smooth and easy to work with for me, but the 5.5 saw a lot of glitches and short hang-ups that made me too often wonder if I had pressed a button or not.

I went down to the Apple Store today and checked out the new iPods, and the new interface just doesn't cut it for me. It's less responsive, and the glitches and hold-ups are still there. All I want is to do is listen to music, and I just don't need Coverflow or half-screen album art or even a search function.

It seems the iPod interface has become bogged down with extras I don't need, at the expense of smoothess and speed with I do need. The new iPods will score high with most users, but not with me. I want the basics and not a lot of overhead to kludge up the system.

I played with the iPhone when I was down there today, and I have to agree with the marketing hype that the iPhone is the best iPod. The iPhone music interface is smoother and easier to navigate than the newer iPods, so I'm leaning strongly to the iPhone, or maybe the iPod touch, as my new music player.

anti-microsoft
Sep 9, 2007, 02:24 AM
I haven't seen them in person yet but they remind me of the 4th gen iPod. Don't you think??

weckart
Sep 9, 2007, 03:45 AM
My local store only had the new nanos in, but I was not overly impressed. The new interface seemed a tad more sluggish and the half-width menus looked too busy. The screen was a tad too small to really enjoy videos, which you could only fast-forward through - no scrub facility. Or at least, I could not find one.

I did not bother trying out CoverFlow. I get the impression that Steve Jobs thinks this is a killer app much more than the average Mac/iPod user.

What disappointed me more than anything was the sharp edge to the nano. It did not feel so nice to hold in the hand as the 2G did.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 9, 2007, 07:36 AM
They look fine, but I agree the UI is a little sluggish. It was very disappointing to me as I was planning on getting a 160. I bought a nano instead for the tie being. I don't know if the slowness is due to an underpowered processor, a slow HD, or if the code just needs tweaking.

joepunk
Sep 9, 2007, 07:47 AM
Any iPod with 160gb I like.

mac17
Sep 9, 2007, 11:22 AM
do You think the UI could improve with an update or is it hardware issues?

tom5304
Sep 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
They look fine, but I agree the UI is a little sluggish. It was very disappointing to me as I was planning on getting a 160. I bought a nano instead for the tie being. I don't know if the slowness is due to an underpowered processor, a slow HD, or if the code just needs tweaking.

So did you find that the flash-based Nano doesn't have the sluggishness and input-lag issues that the Classic has? :)

AirborneAngel
Sep 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
The classic looks great, but IMO my 5g video is all that I need.