Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youashwag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I was wondering if i reallly need to have SP2 installed for the new Ipod Touch to work? What happens if i dont hav it installed??bc last time i tried to install SP2 on my computer it messed up my computer and i had to do a System Restore!!!!

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
I'm no windows expert, but don't the service packs contain critical updates to keep your system secure?!

If you don't have the service pack, then do you also not get any security updates at all?

The iPod probably won't work at all.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Yeah, I'm surprised you've been without it this whole time. In terms of security, SP2 is MUCH better. I sugust you back uo all your data and try to install it again.

youashwag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
well on the itunes 7.4.1 download page it says to have Windows Service Pack 2 for either an Apple TV or an Iphone not an Ipod Touch.............

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
SP2 came out a while ago, you should really consider downloading it for what it offers.

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
It was probably a rare mistake the first time around. I'd bet that you won't have many problems trying it again. I just reformatted my girlfriend's Dell and had no problems getting it back up to date. As mentioned before, just back up your data before trying again, just to be safe. Besides, System Restore worked before didn't it?

I

itsme92

well on the itunes 7.4.1 download page it says to have Windows Service Pack 2 for either an Apple TV or an Iphone not an Ipod Touch.............

iPods have required SP2 for years now, I don't think the iPod touch would be any different

scharf10

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
I bought a new iPod Nano (video) just a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly, but now the iPod Touch says I need service pack 2. Luckily I was allowed to use my friends laptop to put some (rubbish) music on the Touch and activate it, but it's extremely annoying. Is there any way to use it if you dont have serive pack 2?

Thanks, Scharf.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I only just recently updated to SP2 on my Windoze computer and its been fine. But you need it for the iPod then backup and install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.