PDA

View Full Version : Why does the iPod touch require 10.4.10?

mrkramer
Sep 9, 2007, 02:09 AM
th equestion is pretty much the title. why do you need 10.4.10 when the latest version of iTunes runs fine on 10.3.9?

ll PiStoNs ll
Sep 9, 2007, 02:31 AM
th equestion is pretty much the title. why do you need 10.4.10 when the latest version of iTunes runs fine on 10.3.9?

it does? I have 10.3.9 and I dont want to pay to upgrade my os

mrkramer
Sep 9, 2007, 02:35 AM
it does? I have 10.3.9 and I dont want to pay to upgrade my os

yes it does from Apple (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html)
Mac system requirements

* Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
* Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
* iTunes 7.4 or later

I really don't get why they require it since iTunes is supported on 10.3.9, which is what is on my computer that I have my music on.

EssentialParado
Sep 9, 2007, 07:05 AM
I've decided to complain to Apple about this. They aren't going to do anything unless we make it clear that many Panther users DO WANT to BUY these iPods, and are upset about this.

Steve Jobs seemed to listen to iPhone owners when they complained, so I say we 10.3 users send in our complaints too.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

Hmac
Sep 9, 2007, 07:26 AM
I suspect that if you wait, you'll find the point where buying 10.4 gets you a free upgrade to Leopard. I can't imagine that offering 10.3x -> 10.4x for free would be a smart marketing move.

Jasonbot
Sep 9, 2007, 08:15 AM
This is why (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4155952#post4155952)

mrkramer
Sep 9, 2007, 12:45 PM
Steve Jobs seemed to listen to iPhone owners when they complained, so I say we 10.3 users send in our complaints too.

I just sent one there. I think that it was sjobs@mac.com or one of steves other email adresses that got the results on the iPhone though.

mkrishnan
Sep 9, 2007, 12:49 PM
It's probably using some kind of core service or API in OS X to communicate with the iPhone / iPod Touch OS implementation, that was added to Tiger, and which Apple doesn't particularly feel like adding to Panther. Not saying it couldn't be done. But usually, when software refuses to work on the old OS, there's a legitimate reason regarding some API's availability, rather than just some kind of crass code-out (like those people who prevent you from using anything except IE to view a website).

EssentialParado
Sep 9, 2007, 04:31 PM
I just sent one there. I think that it was sjobs@mac.com or one of steves other email adresses that got the results on the iPhone though.

His email addresses are public? Are you sure that email address leads somewhere?

synth3tik
Sep 9, 2007, 04:38 PM
It's about the iPod drivers and the need for iTunes 7.4. I doubt that Apple will release an update to 10.3 as it is considered development dead. Sadly the latest hardware takes the latest software.

PygmySurfer
Sep 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
His email addresses are public? Are you sure that email address leads somewhere?

Not exactly - There's people who read email sent to that address for Steve. I'm sure he has another address which isn't public knowledge which he himself reads.

The sjobs@apple.com or steve@apple.com or whatever email addresses are feel good tools for the public. People think they actually have a line directly to the CEO. They really are useful though - the people who read them forward valid requests to the appropriate personnel. I've read a few reports here of people who have sent email to that address to voice a complain (say, problems with a computer, which customer service has been unwilling/unable to help with), and they've had their problems dealt with (for example, in the above example, getting someone from higher up in the customer service department to address and resolve the complaint).

AppleFan08
Sep 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
i guess that they figure if you are still running panther or something before that, its about time to upgrade.

squeeks
Sep 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
i guess that they figure if you are still running panther or something before that, its about time to upgrade.

yeah, i mean you cant use any of the newer mac software with 10.3 either, ilife08 or the studio suites

psychofreak
Sep 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
Panther came out after XP, but yet that is still supported. So much for 'old technology'. Now if the iPods worked on XP but not Vista, Apple may lose some iPod sales, but gain some Mac sales...

squeeks
Sep 9, 2007, 05:39 PM
its very strange though, you would think itunes is itunes and whatever could run itunes would support he itouch, so maybe its just certain features?

EssentialParado
Sep 9, 2007, 06:30 PM
Not exactly - There's people who read email sent to that address for Steve. I'm sure he has another address which isn't public knowledge which he himself reads.

The sjobs@apple.com or steve@apple.com or whatever email addresses are feel good tools for the public. People think they actually have a line directly to the CEO. They really are useful though - the people who read them forward valid requests to the appropriate personnel. I've read a few reports here of people who have sent email to that address to voice a complain (say, problems with a computer, which customer service has been unwilling/unable to help with), and they've had their problems dealt with (for example, in the above example, getting someone from higher up in the customer service department to address and resolve the complaint).
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to resend my complaint to there just to make sure it's seen :]

HLdan
Sep 9, 2007, 06:49 PM
I've decided to complain to Apple about this. They aren't going to do anything unless we make it clear that many Panther users DO WANT to BUY these iPods, and are upset about this.

That's different. Apple felt the need to take care of the iPhone users because the price dropped dramatically only 2 months after the iPhone was released.
Microsoft has already announced support for XP will be going away very soon. Just wait until DX 10 games start coming out and no XP drivers.

At some point you will have to upgrade in order for new hardware and software to be available to you. Apple is not going to adjust the design of the iPods to accommodate Panther, don't count on it.

squeeks
Sep 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
im shocked that anyone is still running 10.4.9 come on people 10.4 only costs 119 bucks, get with it people

EssentialParado
Sep 9, 2007, 07:02 PM
At some point you will have to upgrade in order for new hardware and software to be available to you. Apple is not going to adjust the design of the iPods to accommodate Panther, don't count on it.
At some point I WILL upgrade. That point being when Leopard releases. Like I said before, I've waited patiently 2 years without Tiger, I'm not going to upgrade to Tiger for 3 weeks so I can blow another $120 on Leopard.

mrkramer
Sep 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
It's about the iPod drivers and the need for iTunes 7.4.

iTunes 7.4 works perfectly fine on Panther which is why I don't get why the touch will not work on Panther

PygmySurfer
Sep 9, 2007, 11:22 PM
iTunes 7.4 works perfectly fine on Panther which is why I don't get why the touch will not work on Panther

There's another thread out there (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351337) (someone bought a new iPod nano, and its not compatible with Panther), with a whole bunch of reasons. Basically, though, I think it comes down to this: When Apple began designing these new iPods, they expected Leopard would be released in the Spring. Apple usually supports 2 releases, so they were going to support 10.4 and 10.5. As we know, Leopard was delayed.

I don't think there's any technical reason for the non-touch iPods not being supported by Panther, I believe Apple just didn't want to QA 3 platforms. The iPhone is only supported by 10.4 and later, so it makes sense for the iPod touch.

siurpeeman
Sep 9, 2007, 11:31 PM
this thread reminds me of steve's open letter to iphone customers. in particular:

The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

milo
Sep 10, 2007, 01:35 PM
The touch doesn't even ship for a couple weeks.

By the time it's out, Leopard will be less than a month away.

The solution is simple, just wait until leopard is out to get one of these if you're still on 10.3.

nygaston
Apr 14, 2008, 03:33 PM
I will come back to Windows to use my ipod ?

mkrishnan
Apr 14, 2008, 04:38 PM
I will come back to Windows to use my ipod ?

Try that again in English, please?

macguy4reals
Apr 14, 2008, 04:54 PM
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I sincerely doubt that there is enough of a backlash by Panther users about the new iPods to cause Apple to change anything.

I'm still pissed my iPod touch doesn't work with OS 9.

nygaston
Apr 16, 2008, 03:41 PM
I have to use itune for windows ?

mkrishnan
Apr 16, 2008, 04:22 PM
I have to use itune for windows ?

Not really any closer to English the second time.

You need either a Mac running Tiger or Leopard, or a Windows PC that is recent enough to run the current iTunes. You can use any of those computers, PPC or Intel. But yes, if you only have Panther and Windows, you either have to update your Mac or use Windows.