PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch Music Search tool

AppleMatt389
Sep 9, 2007, 02:21 AM
im not sure if this is already a feature, or if it has been omitted for a reason..but how about a search tool in the Music menu of iPod touch or even iPhone.

It was included in the old OS of 5.5g ipod and 2g ipod nano (albeit with a crappy "scroll to the letter" ability). imagine how easy it would be to find music by just tapping a search field and entering a few letters with live updating of results. just like in iTunes.app

just my 2 cents. what do you guys think?

nlivo
Sep 9, 2007, 03:34 AM
yeah i've been saying this for awhile for the iPhone. Since i don't live in the US i want search on my iPod touch!!!

AppleMatt389
Sep 9, 2007, 03:37 AM
yeah im outside the US too..so no iphone for me..im getting the ipod touch and i cant believe they havent added this feature. seems so obvious (to me anyway).

propropro
Sep 9, 2007, 06:24 AM
yeah im outside the US too..so no iphone for me..im getting the ipod touch and i cant believe they havent added this feature. seems so obvious (to me anyway).

I totally agree!

iCantwait
Sep 9, 2007, 07:57 AM
im not sure if this is already a feature, or if it has been omitted for a reason..but how about a search tool in the Music menu of iPod touch or even iPhone.

It was included in the old OS of 5.5g ipod and 2g ipod nano (albeit with a crappy "scroll to the letter" ability). imagine how easy it would be to find music by just tapping a search field and entering a few letters with live updating of results. just like in iTunes.app

just my 2 cents. what do you guys think?

they have. on the right hand side u get mini letters, watch the vid on apple or youtube:apple:

mithykal
Sep 9, 2007, 08:05 AM
yeh like the guy said above, on the iphone and ipod touch when you are looking at the artists there are letters on the right of the screen and you touch it and it jumps to that part of the alphabet.

propropro
Sep 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
yeh like the guy said above, on the iphone and ipod touch when you are looking at the artists there are letters on the right of the screen and you touch it and it jumps to that part of the alphabet.

Yes, but it's not exactly the same... the search utility in the iPod 5.5G searches in all tags of the song.

mithykal
Sep 9, 2007, 08:51 AM
Yes, but it's not exactly the same... the search utility in the iPod 5.5G searches in all tags of the song.

but its a search feature, which is what the OP asked about.

shunpike
Sep 9, 2007, 08:57 AM
i swear that Steve demoed a search thing on the Touch when he announced it... maybe i was wrong

AppleMatt389
Sep 9, 2007, 08:58 AM
yeah there is that feature with the letters. but if ur in artists..all ur getting is the first letter of the artist..or if ur in album etc.

i mean..what if there was a search feature independent of what mode ur in that allows u to search every part of the song information. similar to the search bar in itunes in the top right hand corner..it searches all info. not just by first letter. thats what i mean.

AppleMatt389
Sep 9, 2007, 09:00 AM
but its a search feature, which is what the OP asked about.

sorry..but its not what i originally stated in my first post. reread and ull see what i mean.

Rapmastac1
Sep 9, 2007, 11:30 AM
He mentioned he was looking for a search feature like spotlight for his music on the Touch (or even iPhone). He mentioned the quick letter feature that lets you find a song starting with that letter. Wut if I can't remember the artist but I remembered it had "truck" somewhere in the song title or the album, I just put in truck and it will bring it up... Even the baby ipods have this (and I don't even use it, hate typing on the scrollwheel)

naisanza
Feb 8, 2009, 09:38 PM
He mentioned he was looking for a search feature like spotlight for his music on the Touch (or even iPhone). He mentioned the quick letter feature that lets you find a song starting with that letter. Wut if I can't remember the artist but I remembered it had "truck" somewhere in the song title or the album, I just put in truck and it will bring it up... Even the baby ipods have this (and I don't even use it, hate typing on the scrollwheel)

EXACTLY. I dont, no, I never remember full song names nor artists.
The 3rd generation iPod Nano was my favorite iPod just because of the search tool.

reubs
Feb 9, 2009, 12:09 PM
Holy resurrected thread. To chime in, though, this is a moderately ridiculous oversight IMO. I'd be surprised if it showed up before another major FW upgrade, though.

dvdhsu
Feb 9, 2009, 12:37 PM
Holy resurrected thread. To chime in, though, this is a moderately ridiculous oversight IMO. I'd be surprised if it showed up before another major FW upgrade, though.

Well, I doesn't seem that hard to implement.
I'm also waiting for this, and it still hasn't come yet.
It doesn't seem it would be that hard to implement, because in the Remote app by Apple, there is actually a search option.
Perhaps in iPhone 2.1...:D