Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
I've had my 160gb classic for about 24 hours now, and still haven't managed to put all my music on :(

It all syncs up, but then the iPod restarts whenever i try and do anything. It then takes about 2 minutes to get back to the main menu (and again restarts when i try to click on anything)

I turned off music syncing and just put a small collection of movies, podcasts, photos, calendars, contacts on (no music) and it was fine. Now i'm adding 20 gigs of music at a time (using a smart playlist, that i increase the size of between syncs) to see how far i can go before it crashes again.

How has your iPod classic been so far? Has anyone successfully loaded a large library (my music library is 25000 songs, and 120gb apx)

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
well... adding 20 gig at a time, was all happy up to 100 gig of music, but when i did it all (113gig) it started to go wrong again :( got it back down to 100 and it was happy, so tryin 105 now :p

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
my library has about 9,000 songs and with movies etc comes to about 65gb. It synced all that across in about 1 and a half hours no probs... the size of the library shouldn't make a difference. Have you tried those '5 r's' on apples support page, that might help. in the past a restore fixed all of my probs but I haven't had problems like your classic's having before

I'd be talking to apple if I had the problems keep happening.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Either a dud iPod, or some of the data you're putting on is corrupt in some way maybe?

k91191

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
Boston
I've had my 160gb classic for about 24 hours now, and still haven't managed to put all my music on :(

It all syncs up, but then the iPod restarts whenever i try and do anything. It then takes about 2 minutes to get back to the main menu (and again restarts when i try to click on anything)

I turned off music syncing and just put a small collection of movies, podcasts, photos, calendars, contacts on (no music) and it was fine. Now i'm adding 20 gigs of music at a time (using a smart playlist, that i increase the size of between syncs) to see how far i can go before it crashes again.

How has your iPod classic been so far? Has anyone successfully loaded a large library (my music library is 25000 songs, and 120gb apx)

Ugh, I'm having the same problem with my 160GB Classic. When your iPod messes up during syncing and you eject it, is all your data gone?

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
i found the limit (with my library atleast) is at about 100gigs of music. With 100 it seemed happy. With 105 it was usable but crashed on occasion (only if using the UI)

last night i took everything off (except music) and put ALL my music on, and it was fine! put movies and podcasts on and it still seems happy, so maybe pictures (5000 pictures, 4.9gig) was crashing it.

so: a round up of configurations
everything: 24000 songs (113gig), 4 videos (2gig), 5000 photos (4.9gig), some podcasts: Crashes:mad:
Less music: As above but 22000 songs (100gig) seems happy:D
a little more music: as above but 23000 songs (105gig) mostly happy:)
all music, videos, podcasts but no photos, so far happy :D i'll be testing that configuration at work today...

i was looking forward to carrying all my photos around :( i'll wait for the first firmware update (unless it's ages away) to see if that helps before taking it back (can't this week anyway)

as an aside, the "other" data (which i assume is the database amongst other things) is about 650MB without pictures and about 1.5gig with... maybe it's the size of the database it has issues with?

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
Ugh, I'm having the same problem with my 160GB Classic. When your iPod messes up during syncing and you eject it, is all your data gone?

i generally found it might restart, but once the menu appeared all the data would be there.

The weirdest thing that happened was when i wiped the hard drive with disk utility, and restored the ipod, put a tiny bit of data on, then it crashed and all the data from before the crash reappeared! lol

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
the first time i restored it, i hadn't actually restore it (since this is my first iPod i'm still learning the ropes) but now that i really have restored it for real, it is working a dream :D woohoo!

except after syncing it disconnects, and once it disconnects it connects again... thus entering an endless cycle until i pull the plug (except i'm not sure when it's safe to do so)

and the battery ran out overnight (it was off) which i've seen other people have an issue with... so gotta keep an eye on that one :s

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I'm very much looking forward to .1 of this software.

It's a little slow at times for me, and syncing seems to take some persuasion. Also, the screensaver seems really unnecessary (I like to see what's playing at a glance), and also only displays the time in 12-hour format - despite me having changed it to 24-hour on everything else on the iPod!

I've emailed Steve and iPod Feedback :p

wngraham

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
I managed to sync 106 GB of music, 23 GB of Movies, 13 GB of TV Shows, and 2 GB of photos with no problems at all. It took forever (I wish they still had firewire support), but I had no problems at all.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
i too had trouble syncing and restoring. I cannot force it to restore on both my macs and even a PC.

The interface is a bit too laggy, too. Seems like the disk is constantly spinning up and down. I was so excited to see a real increase in the capacity but after using a 60GB for the past two years with my 100 gig library, I don't think I need all the room. I can always just bring my 160GB upgraded powerbook if i need the whole library. I known it's software 1.0 but it's a bad enough impression. I think I'm gonna trade it for the touch. Save 50 bucks anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.