PDA

View Full Version : Memory issues

SLJ
Aug 16, 2003, 12:22 AM
Generally speaking, does all the Mac use more memory then a Windows PC? Generally 512MB of RAM is quite good for PC but I see lots of ppl running at least 1GB of memory with Mac... is it a must?

hugemullens
Aug 16, 2003, 12:34 AM
RAM is a must no matter what OS you are running. I ran my powerbook with 256 for quite a while and found it to be more than acceptable. OS X is a ram happy os, but no worse than xp i dont think. you gotta remember that mac types tend to be "more proffesional", or alot of people on the forums make a living off there mac, so they have lots of ram, to where average in the dark user is using a pc, and just the stock amount of ram the pc had. but as always, more is better.

rainman::|:|
Aug 16, 2003, 12:36 AM
Interesting question. OS X and windows actually use very similar amounts of RAM... 512 will do you fine. X does run better with more physical RAM, as does windows, so more never hurts. But there's two main reasons that Mac users tend to have more RAM... For one, we tend to use more professional apps like photoshop, quark, FCP, etc etc which eat up memory... And, people who pay the premium for what are basically "luxury" computers tend to be more likely to have them more maxed out.

Of course this isn't true for everyone, but it is true for a lot of people here...

pnw

SLJ
Aug 16, 2003, 12:43 AM
Having a mac computer = Professional or wealthy people? Ha Ha Ha... but I am very poor...

Powerbook G5
Aug 16, 2003, 12:46 AM
It basically comes down to the simple 'more is better'. More RAM helps to speed things up since it means less time paging in and out of your HD and other things that slow things down when you have to rely on virtual memory and other tactics to accomplish your tasks. 512 should definitely be a decent amount for your overall tasks, I know it made a world of difference for playing Sim City 4 on our Dell system.