PDA

View Full Version : Official iPod touch thread™

carve
Sep 9, 2007, 06:31 PM
For the iPeople that love the touch. Discuss, rant, tell us your opinion.
Cheers :apple:

HLdan
Sep 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
For the iPeople that love the touch. Discuss, rant, tell us your opinion.
Cheers :apple:

It won't be released until later this month.

rbroady
Sep 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
how about....where the hell is the voume control on this thing?

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 06:47 PM
how about....where the hell is the voume control on this thing?

Good question.

I do know that by clicking the home button twice while the Touch is asleep, it'll bring up controls and you can quickly adjust the volume/track without unlocking the device.

It's honestly not that much bigger of a deal than having to blindly adjust volume on the iPod.

sikkinixx
Sep 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
One thing I would love to know, but we won't for a while, is how Apple is going to go about providing apps for it. I would love a few things like a PDF viewer or mail app or some of the other stuff the iPhone has (can't get one in Canada yet, plus im trapped in a 2yr contract anyway :p)

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 06:56 PM
One thing I would love to know, but we won't for a while, is how Apple is going to go about providing apps for it. I would love a few things like a PDF viewer or mail app or some of the other stuff the iPhone has (can't get one in Canada yet, plus im trapped in a 2yr contract anyway :p)

Hax, I'm guessing. The community is thriving.

iDAG
Sep 9, 2007, 07:00 PM
I want one 4 my bday so bad!!! That and a new iMac lol

carve
Sep 9, 2007, 07:05 PM
I have seen other people have done it with other ipods, the touch didn't have one.

wakerider017
Sep 9, 2007, 07:08 PM
I like iPod. I like touch. I like music. I like movies. I like internet.

sikkinixx
Sep 9, 2007, 08:07 PM
Hax, I'm guessing. The community is thriving.

well i figured hacks would be big but how Apple is going to support things,I would much prefer official stuff.

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 08:17 PM
well i figured hacks would be big but how Apple is going to support things,I would much prefer official stuff.

I sort of see what you're shooting at, but at the same time, where would we be without our Mac shareware? I consider it the same on the iPhone/iPod. Apple provides some capability, but there's plenty of potential that they don't capitalize on, but that others are willing to fulfill. Their excuse with the iPhone was that they (ostensibly) didn't want third-party software screwing up AT&T's cell network. No such excuse with the iPod. Either they'll open up software development, or people will turn to hacking the devices to do what Apple won't allow.

sikkinixx
Sep 9, 2007, 08:31 PM
^ are the apps 'supported' though? Like are they gonna brick it when the new firmware comes out? I have no beef with third party stuff but the last thing I want is Apple bringing down the brickhammer on my $300 iPod

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 08:32 PM
^ are the apps 'supported' though? Like are they gonna brick it when the new firmware comes out? I have no beef with third party stuff but the last thing I want is Apple bringing down the brickhammer on my $300 iPod

No reason they should. You're not modifying the system files or anything, just placing more folders in the 'Applications' directory, as it were.

I mean, I think that the programs themselves will stop working after firmware updates, but it doesn't harm the core system of the iPhone at all.

telf22
Sep 9, 2007, 08:36 PM
i really want some sort of MS Word app so i can write my essays on it then export it to my computer. that be would the cooliest!

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 08:37 PM
i really want some sort of MS Word app so i can write my essays on it then export it to my computer. that be would the cooliest!

Google Docs (https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=writely&passive=true&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F&followup=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F&ltmpl=homepage&nui=1), bro.

telf22
Sep 9, 2007, 08:43 PM
Google Docs (https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=writely&passive=true&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F&followup=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F&ltmpl=homepage&nui=1), bro.

dude, thx, thats awesome!

AJ Muni
Sep 9, 2007, 08:44 PM

Thats exactly what I'm going to use to take notes in class. Freakin 20 days can't come soon enough!

wakerider017
Sep 9, 2007, 09:00 PM

Only problem is you have to have WiFi to use that.. (Not a problem when i am at school)

How about when I am in the car though. A Notes app would be nice. ;)

On a side note, Who the heck is going to write an essay on an iPod.. You must be crazy!

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 09:01 PM
Only problem is you have to have WiFi to use that.. (Not a problem when i am at school)

How about when I am in the car though. A Notes app would be nice. ;)

On a side note, Who the heck is going to write an essay on an iPod.. You must be crazy!

Yeah, a Notes app is going to be the first thing I'm going to hack onto my iPod once I get it. Invaluable.

Genoskia
Sep 9, 2007, 11:21 PM
The iphone has a note application i almost bet you that if someone here has a iphone they could just pull it from its file system and put it on the touch

why cant apple make the ipod touch a little bigger and add a radio??? I WANT IT w/o the attatchment

Draythor
Sep 10, 2007, 12:53 PM
The iphone has a note application i almost bet you that if someone here has a iphone they could just pull it from its file system and put it on the touch

why cant apple make the ipod touch a little bigger and add a radio??? I WANT IT w/o the attatchment

Well, you're lucky then. The iPod touch doesn't work with the radio remote currently. Hopefully Radio 1 will offer a quicktime stream soon so that I can listen to it over Wi-Fi.

Phobophobia
Sep 10, 2007, 01:40 PM
Hopefully it will be compatible with Safari by the time iPod Touch is released.

MAW
Sep 10, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hopefully it will be compatible with Safari by the time iPod Touch is released.

is it not compatible? i use it w/safari. or are you referring to "mobile" safari?

what i'm curios about is if apple will cripple the touch by not allowing input in certain text fields such as when composing web mail, or adding events to google/yahoo calendar, or taking notes with yahoo's notepad, or (as mentioned) google docs.

call me paranoid, but they've already pulled a bait and switch with the ical app.

sikkinixx
Sep 10, 2007, 01:53 PM
writing an essay on the itouch? hello arthritis ;)

Blue Velvet
Sep 10, 2007, 01:55 PM
Does this Official™ thread have any purpose whatsoever?

rye9
Sep 10, 2007, 02:06 PM
This is probably a silly question but... don't you have to be within a router's range to use the internet capabilities? So chances are you'd be near a computer if you're able to use the 3.5" screen for internet?

gloss
Sep 10, 2007, 02:28 PM
This is probably a silly question but... don't you have to be within a router's range to use the internet capabilities? So chances are you'd be near a computer if you're able to use the 3.5" screen for internet?

'Near' meaning a couple of hundred feet in any direction, or possibly 'near' someone else's computer while not in possession of one of your own.

carve
Sep 10, 2007, 04:02 PM
Does this Official™ thread have any purpose whatsoever?
Yeah, it does. It gives people the chance to talk about anything about the touch, not just 1 specific thread.

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 04:12 PM
spent about 5 hours yesterday getting covers for all of my library. Its at 13GB or so right now. Hopefully it will look good on the Touch.

gadgetgirl85
Sep 10, 2007, 04:13 PM
spent about 5 hours yesterday getting covers for all of my library. Its at 13GB or so right now. Hopefully it will look good on the Touch.

I've been doing the same :D

japanime
Sep 10, 2007, 04:17 PM

13GBs in cover art? ! Hopefully you're getting the 16GB model, that way you'll have room for 1GB of music (with the final 2GB or so being taken up by the OS). :eek:

Edit -- sorry, I think I misunderstood. You're entire music library (including cover art) is probably 13GBs, not just the artwork alone.

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 04:24 PM
13GBs in cover art? ! Hopefully you're getting the 16GB model, that way you'll have room for 1GB of music (with the final 2GB or so being taken up by the OS). :eek:

Edit -- sorry, I think I misunderstood. You're entire music library (including cover art) is probably 13GBs, not just the artwork alone.

Yeah...Library is 13GB.

MountainMMax
Sep 10, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hey guys, I just ordered a new itouch, i wondered if it would work with my home 802.11g wireless router?

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hey guys, I just ordered a new itouch, i wondered if it would work with my home 802.11g wireless router?

it sure will....

carve
Sep 10, 2007, 05:32 PM
It's exciting! One of the reasons that I am getting the touch is because it has wifi. A couple years ago I said "when they make an ipod with internet, I will buy it as soon as it comes out". And, of course, the huge screen for viewing movies.

MountainMMax
Sep 10, 2007, 05:45 PM
I thought it would, I was afraid after seeing the video that the high speed was only available at certain locations. Thank god, I love my ipod video but it's gonna have to take a back seat for the new one, and the longer battery life will be a bonus for me also, i hated only having about 2 hours of video on my old one....

JohnnyQuest
Sep 10, 2007, 05:49 PM
I just ordered my 16GB iPod Touch and I'm really excited! I can't wait to use the Wi-Fi and watch videos.

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 06:21 PM
I love youtube application. You basically have access to any music video you could ever want, among other things.

buffalo
Sep 10, 2007, 07:24 PM
It would be nice to have the Maps app on the Touch. Instead of printing out driving instructions, one could load the instructions onto the Touch before leaving home and then use it on the road.

kurzz
Sep 10, 2007, 07:36 PM
I just ordered an itouch too.
I've only had my ipod nano (1st gen) for just over a year now and the battery capacity is now halved. Is this the same with other ipods or iphones? Will my ipod touch become paperweight in 1-2 years time because the battery is not replaceable?

sblasl
Sep 10, 2007, 11:19 PM
It looks like the "Official iPod touch forum" (actually a thread), is off to a great start with anything related to the iPod touch being posted anywhere but here:rolleyes:.

Borracho400
Sep 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
What I don't like is how people are complaining that there is not enough space on the Touch. I sold my 30 gb iPod in order to get the touch because I realized that I only listen to about 25% of my 3,000 song library. It doesn't hurt to sometimes change your songs on your iPod either and the same with movies. Who is going to carry around 25 movies and only be able to watch 2 because the battery life is no more than 5 hours? I just wish people would stop complaining....

nirvana06
Sep 11, 2007, 10:10 PM
For people that bought Touch, for how many WiFi and Safar as well as knowledge that more apps will follow was the deciding factor?

I don't think id buy it without wifi just to get larger screen and multi touch. I'd go for the classic 80GB.

agentkow
Sep 12, 2007, 01:26 PM
Just saw this in the manual, wondering what everyone thinks the purpose of this is:

Deleting Videos from iPod touch

You can delete videos directly from iPod touch to save space.

Delete a video
In the Videos list, swipe left or right over the video, then tap Delete.
When you delete a video from iPod touch, it isn’t deleted from your iTunes library. You can sync the video back to iPod touch later. If you don’t want to sync the video back to iPod touch, set iTunes not to sync the video (see page 6).

solarguy17
Sep 12, 2007, 02:13 PM
Just saw this in the manual, wondering what everyone thinks the purpose of this is:

It is proabley so that you can delete a video right after you watch it.

Let say you watch Superman on the bus ride home, you get done and think well I wont need to watch this again for a while. Well, you can delete it right away rather then have to remember to delete it when you get home. I am very forgetful and forget stuff like that. Essepeically since you cant add it to a to do list, as in TO DO: Delete superman

agentkow
Sep 12, 2007, 02:26 PM
It is proabley so that you can delete a video right after you watch it.

Let say you watch Superman on the bus ride home, you get done and think well I wont need to watch this again for a while. Well, you can delete it right away rather then have to remember to delete it when you get home. I am very forgetful and forget stuff like that. Essepeically since you cant add it to a to do list, as in TO DO: Delete superman

I understand the usefulness of that, but it doesn't delete it from your iTunes, so what is the point? Next time you sync your iPod it will come back, unless you have it on manual, but then it is still potentially in your iTunes.

I guess you could load all your movies manually, and then it would delete them, I just don't understand why you need this functionality on-the-go. Personally, I would give up this feature to have the ability to add/edit calendar info and appointments...

nirvana06
Sep 12, 2007, 02:46 PM
I understand the usefulness of that, but it doesn't delete it from your iTunes, so what is the point? Next time you sync your iPod it will come back, unless you have it on manual, but then it is still potentially in your iTunes.

I guess you could load all your movies manually, and then it would delete them, I just don't understand why you need this functionality on-the-go. Personally, I would give up this feature to have the ability to add/edit calendar info and appointments...

If you want to buy an album through wifi itunes store but did not have enough space, you can just delete one of your videos. Good function.

Can't believe people still worry about calendar function.

agentkow
Sep 12, 2007, 03:01 PM
If you want to buy an album through wifi itunes store but did not have enough space, you can just delete one of your videos. Good function.

Can't believe people still worry about calendar function.

Good point, I couldn't think of something requiring more hard drive space on-the-go (besides maybe a lot of cache from Safari), but iTunes downloads would be just the thing.

As for calendar function, don't get me started.

cawesjmu
Sep 12, 2007, 03:27 PM
So we all saw you can purchase songs or albums on the go from the new wireless store, but I haven't seen any mention of buying videos or downloading podcasts or movies. Anybody heard or seen anything about it?

nirvana06
Sep 12, 2007, 03:36 PM
So we all saw you can purchase songs or albums on the go from the new wireless store, but I haven't seen any mention of buying videos or downloading podcasts or movies. Anybody heard or seen anything about it?

No, i asked that after the announcement and it seems like nobody knows. I'd love the ability to at least update podcasts on the go.

parrotheadmjb
Sep 12, 2007, 03:44 PM
does anyone know of a free program that rips dvds and converts them to the 640X480 pixel ratio for the iPod touch? (a program that doesnt leave a watermark on the middle of the screen and actually works well.)

magicjames92
Sep 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
does anyone know of a free program that rips dvds and converts them to the 640X480 pixel ratio for the iPod touch? (a program that doesnt leave a watermark on the middle of the screen and actually works well.)

handbrake

parrotheadmjb
Sep 12, 2007, 05:02 PM
handbrake

it said it doesnt work with copy protected dvds

beaker26
Sep 12, 2007, 05:20 PM
I would think no videos because they take up a good amount of space, and would take awhile to download. Say they get this video renting thing going though. You could be a work or class and pick a movie or tv show you want to watch on the bus ride home or subway and then could watch it on the way back and then delete when you're done with it all from the touch, that'd be sweet.

magicjames92
Sep 12, 2007, 05:20 PM

pretty much any dvd except for sony isnt protected. :D i have yet to find a dvd that didnt work.

yetanotherdave
Sep 12, 2007, 05:23 PM

It does though, at least I've never had a DVD it's failed to rip.

For people that bought Touch, for how many WiFi and Safar as well as knowledge that more apps will follow was the deciding factor?

I don't think id buy it without wifi just to get larger screen and multi touch. I'd go for the classic 80GB.

When I thought it'd be the touch with a large hard disk I was definitely going to buy, when it was released with a 16Gb capacity I heistated, for about a minute until I remembered the potential of installing all the iPhone apps :D
I'd say that was the dealbreaker for me. Or I'd be getting the 80Gb classic at £100 less. Luckily I literally just got told I'm getting a bonus!

parrotheadmjb
Sep 12, 2007, 05:33 PM
It does though, at least I've never had a DVD it's failed to rip.

When I thought it'd be the touch with a large hard disk I was definitely going to buy, when it was released with a 16Gb capacity I heistated, for about a minute until I remembered the potential of installing all the iPhone apps :D
I'd say that was the dealbreaker for me. Or I'd be getting the 80Gb classic at £100 less. Luckily I literally just got told I'm getting a bonus!

Apparently you have to have another program that rips the dvd, idk i have the windows version and it keeps telling whenever I pull up video_TS that "Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source" this happened on 5 of my dvds

nukiduz
Sep 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
where did you get the manual from? i can't see it in touch's page...:confused:

nlivo
Sep 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
where did you get the manual from? i can't see it in touch's page...:confused:

http://manuals.apple.com/manualsList?config=W4N&model=iPod+touch+Manuals

and just to continue on with this topic.....i cant wait to get my iPod touch. I'm not getting it straight away because im getting the money i need to pay for it later in october.

xXriderXx7
Sep 12, 2007, 05:58 PM

Ive been doing this also.
Except my library is nearing 70 gigs.
Took Fetchart, many album art widgets, Corripio, and about 4 days.

Hah

iMJustAGuy
Sep 12, 2007, 06:24 PM

well what about if your in a whataburger or somewhere like that.. besides it has been said that in the next 1-3 years...wi-fi in restaurants will be as common as water in them.

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 09:12 AM
I figure I'll post this in this "forum" ;) as it's not probably worth making a new thread about:

Anybody have any idea the average file size of a photo on the iPhone (and now touch)?

I'm asking because I'd like to get an idea of how many photos I'll be able to fit in about 1 gb which is what I'd be willing to spare for photos.

Also, does anybody who actually syncs photos onto their ipod/iphone/etc have any hints as to how to accomplish this the best? I have thousands and thousands of photos, many of them not in iPhone, but I'd really only like a small percentage of them... Thoughts/advice?

pjgeer
Sep 13, 2007, 09:45 AM
pretty much any dvd except for sony isnt protected. :D i have yet to find a dvd that didnt work.

I have issues with Universal DVDs, any help on those?:cool:

nirvana06
Sep 13, 2007, 10:10 AM
I figure I'll post this in this "forum" ;) as it's not probably worth making a new thread about:

Anybody have any idea the average file size of a photo on the iPhone (and now touch)?

I'm asking because I'd like to get an idea of how many photos I'll be able to fit in about 1 gb which is what I'd be willing to spare for photos.

Also, does anybody who actually syncs photos onto their ipod/iphone/etc have any hints as to how to accomplish this the best? I have thousands and thousands of photos, many of them not in iPhone, but I'd really only like a small percentage of them... Thoughts/advice?

I assumed that it syncs same files as you have on your computer. It does not change the size or convert them to anything. Keeps them in the same size and format.

At least thats what i thought was going on. Anybody?

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
I assumed that it syncs same files as you have on your computer. It does not change the size or convert them to anything. Keeps them in the same size and format.

At least thats what i thought was going on. Anybody?

Well with previous iPods iTunes will give you the option of including the full resolution images, or just syncing resized images.

I don't want/need the full size images, so I'll just sync the iPod touch size versions. I'm mainly looking to get an idea of the average image size as is synced to the iPod touch (or iPhone, as nobody will have any idea of the touch yet obviously :)).

I'm also not sure the resolution, I'm assuming it may be larger than 480x320 because of the whole ability to zoom in and out, but perhaps not.

Thoughts?

PowerFullMac
Sep 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
That iPod Touch manual dosent seem to be working anymore.... Anyone got another URL or can you attach it?

As soon as that iPod Touch comes out im a'gettin one. Just hope its hack-and-run-3rd-party-apps-on-it-able.

jockmock
Sep 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
the manual: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPod_touch_Features_Guide.pdf

PowerFullMac
Sep 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks jockmock!

sherwin
Sep 17, 2007, 01:54 AM
I was really excited with the ipod touch because of the wifi feature. i agree that il be putting a few music / videos so 8gb or 16gb is more than enough for me. BUT i really want to add a note in the calendar and use my mail with the itouch.

is it worth going 16gb? or what if i jsut go get an iphone? can anyone give me expert advice? do you think i can install softwares into the touch? liek the iphone?

im actually contemplating going ipod touch + iphone hehe so i can listen to my music watch videos / do wifi without fearing for my battery to go empty :)

bmonzing
Sep 18, 2007, 12:00 AM
I got my iPod Touch early (last Wednesday) because they had them at the apple store! This will definitely tide me over for the iPhone until my contract w/ T-Mobile is up (I don't want to hack). The touch replaced my 60GB iPod.

It's a great device with plenty of storage even though I have about 60 GB of music/videos. I usually listen to podcasts or on shuffle anyway, so I created a 4 GB playlist of must-haves and filled the rest with a randomized smart playlist. The double-tap to access music controls while idle is essential; I use it all the time.

Unfortunately, the early software is a bit crashy when listening to music while surfing Safari. But when I first plugged in the Touch, I was asked if I wanted to send info to Apple, so I'm probably a paying beta-tester. They will likely update the iPod Touch software on the day of the "official" release (Sept 28, I believe).

Browsing via wi-fi is just fine for me. No need for EDGE because I live + work in downtown Seattle, and there are open networks pretty much everywhere. I am syncing my bookmarks with Safari from my MacBook, and this works pretty well, too. The only drawback is that you can't select specific folders, it syncs everything including "bookmarks toolbar" and "bookmarks menu." This is kind of annoying.

Videos and YouTube look great, too. And the wi-fi iTunes Music Store is up-and-running. I do wish YouTube would auto-launch when clicking on links in Safari, though.

It definitely needs the Notes app, and I would like to add Calendar events on the fly as well.

So that's my 2 cents (or dollars!). Let me know if you'd like any other info. I am, as you can see, excited and eager to share and/or help make buying decisions.

PowerFullMac
Sep 18, 2007, 10:28 AM
I was really excited with the ipod touch because of the wifi feature. i agree that il be putting a few music / videos so 8gb or 16gb is more than enough for me. BUT i really want to add a note in the calendar and use my mail with the itouch.

is it worth going 16gb? or what if i jsut go get an iphone? can anyone give me expert advice? do you think i can install softwares into the touch? liek the iphone?

im actually contemplating going ipod touch + iphone hehe so i can listen to my music watch videos / do wifi without fearing for my battery to go empty :)

You will be able to hack the Calender app off the iPhone soon and you can use Safari to login to your e-mail.

crashdiff
Sep 21, 2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks PowerFullMac for the cool hack links. I was waiting on payday to get my ipod touch until I found a possible way to get one free.

For those of you out there not wanting to invest the chunk of change for the sweet device check out this blog i just found www.sureitsfree.com They mention how to get one of these things for free.

Worth a look me thinks..