Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Hi.
I know the 5.5g iPod plays video to your TV... but when you're looking for the video you use the regular iPod interface.

I want to buy the dock with remote and use a Frontrow interface on the TV...

Anyone know if that's what it does with the iPod Classic (or new Nano?)

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Hi.
I know the 5.5g iPod plays video to your TV... but when you're looking for the video you use the regular iPod interface.

I want to buy the dock with remote and use a Frontrow interface on the TV...

Anyone know if that's what it does with the iPod Classic (or new Nano?)

I highly doubt its a Frontrow like interface but I would also be interested to know if the new ipods produce some sort of GUI on the TV screen to find your content. But at the present time I don't think anyone knows considering the new dock and new AV cables will not be released for 3 more weeks.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I highly doubt its a Frontrow like interface but I would also be interested to know if the new ipods produce some sort of GUI on the TV screen to find your content. But at the present time I don't think anyone knows considering the new dock and new AV cables will not be released for 3 more weeks.

I'm thinking none of the iPods will display the interface on the TV screen, certainly not Frontrow like... it'd compete against the :apple:TV

EDIT: Then again maybe not, as the :apple:TV is networked and can receive new content as and when it arrives, rather than the iPod, which requires syncing each time. iPod Touch could be different though, with it's Wifi. hmm.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
I'm thinking none of the iPods will display the interface on the TV screen, certainly not Frontrow like... it'd compete against the :apple:TV

EDIT: Then again maybe not, as the :apple:TV is networked and can receive new content as and when it arrives, rather than the iPod, which requires syncing each time. iPod Touch could be different though, with it's Wifi. hmm.

I think the new Front Row interface for Leopard comptes aginst the :apple:TV more then a GUI interface on the iPod-to-tv screen ever would. Considering the new cable is $50 and has a special apple authentication chip in it (Meaning only Apple or any accessory maker that puts up the $$$ can make it) I am hoping it at least puts the iPod interface on the screen. (It was annoying having to get up and look at my iPod to change episodes on the 5G iPods).

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I think the new Front Row interface for Leopard comptes aginst the :apple:TV more then a GUI interface on the iPod-to-tv screen ever would.

Only if you're watching the Mac or perhaps hooking the Mac to a TV.. not the market the :apple:TV is aimed at.

Considering the new cable is $50 and has a special apple authentication chip in it (Meaning only Apple or any accessory maker that puts up the $$$ can make it) I am hoping it at least puts the iPod interface on the screen. (It was annoying having to get up and look at my iPod to change episodes on the 5G iPods).

I see what you're saying, because Apple is forcing you to use their cable, they're effectively charging you for the 'frontrow' experience.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Apple locks TV Out in new iPods, breaks video add-ons

iLounge says it's a no-go with TV Out:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php

"Without disclosing the change to customers, Apple has locked the TV Out feature of the iPod classic and video-capable iPod nano, preventing users from outputting iPod content to their TV sets as has been done in years past. Going to the Videos > Settings menu brings up a TV Out option that is now unresponsive when clicked, showing only the word “off.” When locked, video content will display on the iPod’s screen, but not on your TV or portable display accessory."

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON

"Without disclosing the change to customers, Apple has locked the TV Out feature of the iPod classic and video-capable iPod nano, preventing users from outputting iPod content to their TV sets as has been done in years past. Going to the Videos > Settings menu brings up a TV Out option that is now unresponsive when clicked, showing only the word “off.” When locked, video content will display on the iPod’s screen, but not on your TV or portable display accessory."

They didn't lock it out, they just moved it from the headphone jack to the dock connector, requiring everyone to purchase new cables.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
And I think they did that to allow control over DRM video material.

Possible, doesn't sound very Apple-like to me though. So far, everything seems to indicate that they require some kind of embedded chip in the cable, which means you have to buy an Apple or licensed 3rd party cable.

I guess it's possible there's some sort of Macrovision-esque copy protection in the offical cables, which is why they're forcing only approved cables.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Possible, doesn't sound very Apple-like to me though. So far, everything seems to indicate that they require some kind of embedded chip in the cable, which means you have to buy an Apple or licensed 3rd party cable.

I guess it's possible there's some sort of Macrovision-esque copy protection in the offical cables, which is why they're forcing only approved cables.

With for rent movies on the cards, HD TV and movies, protecting DRM is likely important.

There is probably a bandwidth/quality issue that would make component out from the headphone jack impossible.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
iLounge says it's a no-go with TV Out
Yes, you have to buy the Apple cable.

Technically - they probably don't have the video available through the headphone socket anymore. I tried it and THEN saw the articles saying it's not possible.

Anyway, it looks like they're locking down 3rd party products that took video via the iPod connector too.

takaogui

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
help!!!!
hi, i have a question, i got a classic (coming tomorrow) and today i bought a universal dock (that didn't came with av cable), so, since i already own a product with the chip can i buy a ordinary av cable for ipod or do i need the "official" av cable aswell? (to plug on the dock)
thanks

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
help!!!!
hi, i have a question, i got a classic (coming tomorrow) and today i bought a universal dock (that didn't came with av cable), so, since i already own a product with the chip can i buy a ordinary av cable for ipod or do i need the "official" av cable aswell? (to plug on the dock)
thanks

From what I understand you need the new cable for it to work.

takaogui

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
From what I understand you need the new cable for it to work.

thx :(
can't believe i paid 40 bucks on a apple dock that didn't even came with a cable, now theres goes another 50 bucks on a cable to make the dock useful :eek:

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

Put the Nano in the multimedia dock and this function works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.