PDA

View Full Version : sketchup for g3 ibook?(For a novice)

illusifun
Sep 9, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hi,

Could anyone please suggest a software, similar to the sketchup 6 which is now free. The catch is my set up is old and slow, and does not seem to be able to handle it, requirement wise. most importantly the "video card" is not "dedicated" but shared???... so I've been told at the mac genius bar....NYC

Here is my specs...
Machine Model: iBook
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (1.2) G3
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 700 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz

Maybe an older version of sketch up or Cad-like software that I could do some quick floor plans, room elevations, and maybe 3D rooms/views?

I need to do some designs for a project, a haunted house, and need a simple, accurate way to show the lay out in the space and the different rooms/scenes, to fire marshals, building owner and various crew/build/artists/electricians.

Thanks for any help in advance.
(This is my first posting, could anyone tell?):apple::apple:

illusifun

Doctor Q
Sep 10, 2007, 05:14 PM
Since nobody has offered an idea so far, I suggest that you visit VersionTracker and look through their CAD/Technical (http://versiontracker.com/macosx/graphics/technical/) section for products that suit your purposes, hardware, and budget.

You might even find a useful application in one of their other categories.

mkrishnan
Sep 10, 2007, 05:21 PM
Your video card is dedicated, but that's besides the point. I think your computer is quite a bit slower than sketchup is expecting.

I kinda suspect that you'll have a lot of trouble finding free 2d/3d design software for a Mac of that era... that's too many constraints. I'd be happy to be wrong, of course.

Are you a student? Is it possible for you to use an engineering lab at your school? The only downside to that is that real architecture or engineering packages have pretty steep learning curves.