PDA

View Full Version : .mac, what good is it? Help before purchase

mcparadis
Aug 16, 2003, 12:48 PM
Is the Mac service worth it? Anybody use it? What are the advantages , disadvantages?

Thanks in advance.

iJon
Aug 16, 2003, 01:09 PM
i love .mac, i just got my renewed subscription and have been loving it. i think the web page and multiple mac sycning is the best part. i highly recommend getting .mac, there are no cons to it. ive completly replaced my email address with apple's and i have gotten any spam what so ever. its even a better deal if you just bought a mac. go for it man, you wont regret it.

iJon

zim
Aug 16, 2003, 08:07 PM
I could go on and on as to why I love my .mac account, #1 reason is iSync, #2, right now, is ability to use my bookmarks anywhere, even on windows! #3 iDisk.

I would highly recommend doing a search on the subject, here at macrumors. there have been 3 or 4 recent, different, post on the subject.

There is no downside to it, if you use your mac and the web or if you have multiple computers, you will get use out of it. The question to you is, what is there to question? are you comparing it to something? read the other posts and you should get some good feedback, I would say that the majority of people that I know that have it, love it.

Powerbook G5
Aug 16, 2003, 08:39 PM
The only real downside is the cost, but if you use all the features, it's not that bad.

Squire
Aug 16, 2003, 09:00 PM
The best thing to do is use the 3-month trial. I signed up for the trial once but didn't get around to using it. The second time around, I used it a lot. My trial is finished in 2 weeks and I'm definitely going to buy it.

The best part, in my opinion, is the iPhoto integration. It's idiot-proof. Sending pictures via mail and adding pics to the Homepage is fantastic.

On top of all that, the benefits you get when you sign up sound good, too.

Squire

alset
Aug 16, 2003, 09:03 PM
Do it. They have me for life. I have never been dissatisfied with my subscription.

iDisk is convenient for transferring files between home/work/school/etc. The web hosting is great for quickly sharing photos, music (I don't mean pirating, I mean stuff I record), whatever I want on a whim. iSync keeps my machines in line, so my iBook really is a mini-version of my tower. Backup takes care of mundane tasks like saving addresses. I like the Bookmarking feature, but I don't use Safari, so setting it up would be a pain.

Solid service. Buy it right away.

Dan

(btw - interesting to note that Apple's dictionary flags iDisk in spell check, but not iSync)

bennetsaysargh
Aug 16, 2003, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking of getting a .mac subscription when i buy a new iMac in october-ish. is there a discount if you're buying it with a new mac?

Powerbook G5
Aug 16, 2003, 09:23 PM
If I remember correctly, it is $79 when you purchase a new Mac.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 16, 2003, 09:28 PM
cool. thanks:)

ThomasJefferson
Aug 17, 2003, 08:59 AM
I just renewed my .mac account. Now that I have cable, I do not find the idisk so slow and I like the homepage/iphoto options.

ZeppelinArmada
Aug 17, 2003, 09:39 AM
If you are a student and you just purchased a Mac it is $69.99 through the educational store up until Sept. 27.

I use it all the time. The only thing that bugs me is that it can't do my dishes. If it had that I would pay double.

doctorhook
Aug 27, 2003, 09:54 AM
I have been using the free trial and found it very usefull. Especially if you have machines wirelessly connected. Not only can you iSync all your iStuff but can trade files between machines. I will definately buy it when my trial is up.

Chad4Mac
Aug 27, 2003, 10:12 AM
I think the best feature of .Mac is the iPhoto integration.

I can take pictures, quickly import and edit, and post on the web for family and friends in minutes. For me, it works perfectly.

Also the iDisk is quite handy for simple backups, and universal access to files where ever I might be -- at home, the office, out of the state, out of the country.

At this rate, I'll be a .mac subscriber for years to come...

Chad4Mac

Coca-Cola
Aug 27, 2003, 12:42 PM
Hotmail vs. .Mac.. The email account is worth it alone. Imagine a world without an overloaded slow mailbox full of spam! It's possible. I currently only get three emails a day(.mac) vs. 200(hotmail). idisk is awesome! Homepage is awesome! Free stuff like games and education. It rocks now.

jayscheuerle
Aug 27, 2003, 03:28 PM
I'd say it only has the potential to be worthwhile if you have broadband on every computer you want to use it on. All that disk space is worthless on a dial-up. It's quicker to transfer data between machines via ZIP or CDR.

I had it while it was free, gave it up when they charged and haven't missed it a bit, but have enjoyed the extra $100/yr.

Chad4Mac
Aug 27, 2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
I'd say it only has the potential to be worthwhile if you have broadband on every computer you want to use it on. All that disk space is worthless on a dial-up. It's quicker to transfer data between machines via ZIP or CDR.

I had it while it was free, gave it up when they charged and haven't missed it a bit, but have enjoyed the extra $100/yr.

I can understand that you enjoy an extra 100 dollars a year -- anyone would. But when I rationalize the 100 dollars, I'm actually saving money.

I only spend about .27 cents a day to have email, disk space and superb integration with iPhoto. I would pay that for a decent email set-up without the extra features. It seems to me like I'm getting so much more with a .Mac account than anything else out there that I know of...

I used to use my personal website to access email, share photos extra, etc. It was a hassle to post my pics all the time (maybe that's because I'm not most educated in the area). Now that I use iPhoto AND .Mac, my pictures are post in minutes, and I'm sitting on the beach -- instead of sitting in front of a computer.

I don't know, some people see the beneift of .Mac and others don't. I for one, think that my Mac experience would be deprived without .Mac.

Chad4Mac

jayscheuerle
Aug 27, 2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Chad4Mac
I can understand that you enjoy an extra 100 dollars a year -- anyone would. But when I rationalize the 100 dollars, I'm actually saving money.

I only spend about .27 cents a day to have email, disk space and superb integration with iPhoto. I would pay that for a decent email set-up without the extra features. It seems to me like I'm getting so much more with a .Mac account than anything else out there that I know of...

I used to use my personal website to access email, share photos extra, etc. It was a hassle to post my pics all the time (maybe that's because I'm not most educated in the area). Now that I use iPhoto AND .Mac, my pictures are post in minutes, and I'm sitting on the beach -- instead of sitting in front of a computer.

I don't know, some people see the beneift of .Mac and others don't. I for one, think that my Mac experience would be deprived without .Mac.

Chad4Mac

I get 95% of what I'd use .Mac for (email, web space, iPhoto slideshows) from my ISP (which you need in addition to your .Mac account.

If I had $100 to toss down, I'd buy a usb keychain drive to move my data around.

Chad4Mac
Aug 27, 2003, 04:19 PM
I get 95% of what I'd use .Mac for (email, web space, iPhoto slideshows) from my ISP (which you need in addition to your .Mac account.

If I had $100 to toss down, I'd buy a usb keychain drive to move my data around.

What ISP do you use? And how much does that cost? for the webspace, email, etc.?

I wish my ISP did that!

A keychain drive. I wouldn't want to carry that thing around all the time. I'd probably loose the dam thing!

Chad4Mac

jayscheuerle
Aug 27, 2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Chad4Mac
What ISP do you use? And how much does that cost? for the webspace, email, etc.?

I wish my ISP did that!

A keychain drive. I wouldn't want to carry that thing around all the time. I'd probably loose the dam thing!

Chad4Mac

I use Worldnet (dial-up) and have their $17.95 for 25hrs/wk program. Up to 5 users with 5mb email space and 10mb web space per user for no extra charge.

I use a little shareware program called "Galerie" to make slideshows from iPhoto. Some of the templates even mimic Apple's slideshow.

Keep the keychain drive on your keychain! How often do you lose your car keys?

- j

Chad4Mac
Aug 27, 2003, 06:10 PM
I use Worldnet (dial-up) and have their $17.95 for 25hrs/wk program. Up to 5 users with 5mb email space and 10mb web space per user for no extra charge.

I use a little shareware program called "Galerie" to make slideshows from iPhoto. Some of the templates even mimic Apple's slideshow.

Keep the keychain drive on your keychain! How often do you lose your car keys?

- j

To many times to count on one hand! That's why I have a spare with me at all times!

:(

Chad4Mac

Dahl
Aug 27, 2003, 09:58 PM
I have been looking at .Mac too, but the main reason I want it is because of virus software. Sure, it's nice to have the extra space etc, but I already have all the space I need from my server.
I have seen .Mac for $60 ( after rebate ) at PowerMax if you buy a new Mac before 9/27 and I'm thinking about it just to get the virus software, which seems more expensive than .Mac.

Inunyan
Aug 27, 2003, 10:28 PM
At the vary early stage, I was able to register my family name at .mac. Mine is a rather commonplace name, so the american equivalent would be something like smith@mac.com. Could a Mr. Smith throw away that address? So even though I seldom use this address, I guess I will have to pay whatever they charge for the rest of my life.

----------
Inunyan

Squire
Aug 27, 2003, 10:48 PM
I think the training programs are a huge asset. I already finished the OSX one and, for someone fairly new to the platform, it was great. They also have iPhoto and iTunes training programs. (That Marble Blast game is pretty addictive as well.)

As others have stated, the iPhoto integration and Homepage are two of the biggest reasons to sign up. By the way, there are a lot of new templates for Homepage now. (I don't know if trial members have access to them or not.)

Squire

Chad4Mac
Aug 27, 2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Squire
I think the training programs are a huge asset. I already finished the OSX one and, for someone fairly new to the platform, it was great. They also have iPhoto and iTunes training programs. (That Marble Blast game is pretty addictive as well.)

As others have stated, the iPhoto integration and Homepage are two of the biggest reasons to sign up. By the way, there are a lot of new templates for Homepage now. (I don't know if trial members have access to them or not.)

Squire

I agree with the .Mac training. I turned my mom, sister[s], friend, boss' daughter onto Macs and that training came in handy -- especially that iPhoto one.

I got to tell ya, .Mac is great...

Chad4Mac

Horrortaxi
Aug 28, 2003, 12:50 AM
Get the free trial and see if you like/need/use it.

uhlawboi80
Sep 3, 2003, 04:51 PM
i had flirted with the idea of geting .Mac. I, being a poor student, had decided against it. NOW, after i had been expecting to communicate back and forth over a 2 day period to decide on huge plans with my group of friends only to find that my *****ty lycos web mail aco**** went down b4 noon monday and (after several pushbacks) isnt expected to be fixed till 1pm TOMMOROW. thats more than 48 hours of outtage. its ridiculous. I do sometimes NEED my email.

As a result ive decided to drop the 99$ and get .Mac for all of its features, but above all for a RELIABLE email addy that wont have spam and (knowing apple) will NEVER go down for 48 hours at a time, EVER.

uhlawboi80
Sep 3, 2003, 04:52 PM
i had flirted with the idea of geting .Mac. I, being a poor student, had decided against it. NOW, after i had been expecting to communicate back and forth over a 2 day period to decide on huge plans with my group of friends only to find that my *****ty lycos web mail acount went down b4 noon monday and (after several pushbacks) isnt expected to be fixed till 1pm TOMMOROW. thats more than 48 hours of outtage. its ridiculous. I do sometimes NEED my email.

As a result ive decided to drop the 99$ and get .Mac for all of its features, but above all for a RELIABLE email addy that wont have spam and (knowing apple) will NEVER go down for 48 hours at a time, EVER.

KershMan
Sep 3, 2003, 05:34 PM
The savings in the software over the course of a year are worth the $99. First, virus programs run $50-70 retail, so Virex saves that. There are many games that are free or discounted throughout the year. And last year I took the promotion and bought Stuffit Delux for $39, which I think is a $30 savings over retail.

Add that into all the functionality and it is a great deal. iSynch is a great capability.

I have renewed and my wife plans on upgrading from an additional email account to a full account. She wants her own web space and the iSynch capability.

mcparadis
Sep 3, 2003, 07:41 PM
Thanks to all, I have purchased it and it works great.

MacMaelstrom
Sep 4, 2003, 04:20 PM
I'm getting .Mac. I think it's cool. I don't even have a Mac yet tho. but I have to put in my $0.02 about my ISP

IT'S FREAKIN' AWESOME.

Unlimited email accounts, 300 MB web space with ftp access, thousands of dial-in numbers, a true PPP-TCP/IP connection: no extra software... I could go on and on...
oh yeah
almost forgot

$10.00 a month

www.ev1.net
get it
fast

Oh yeah, and 53.3 K connections here