Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewt1187

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
If I left VMware on pretty much all the time for quick Office 2007 access, would that stress the MBP too much?

Does anyone do this? Does it lead to excess heat?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
As far as I can tell, it doesn't stress the computer much at all.

Just out of curiosity, what's the longest amount of time you've left Fusion running? I can't seem to get it to continuously run for much more than 5 days before it loses "exclusivitiy" to the Bootcamp partition and quits.

LMO

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
I'd have to question the idea of limiting how you use your MBP to control the temps. If your MPB gets too hot from any kind of normal use it should be repaired. The question I would have is whether keeping Fusion running all the time slows down what I'm doing in OS X.

Run the Activity Monitor to see how many resources Fusion is using.

andrewt1187

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I'm pretty sure that for anything other that working with photos/videos/animation, the MBP can handle having VMware and OS X running.

I haven't noticed a dip in my day to day activities.

Also, something I just noticed is that Quicksilver recognizes programs in your VMware (at least with Boot Camp partitioned). I can launch Office 2007 through Unity nearly instantly with Quicksilver. If only I could automatically open docs through Office 2007 that are on my OS X desktop...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.