Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nemisis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Ohio
Well, I've seen a couple threads advertising to get something done by linking toward the feedback site at Apple. Well, I just got to thinking...I should do that to get an update for Ohio State University.

The official OSU website says this:

"Currently, the Apple iPhone does not support WPA with 802.1x, a requirement for "osuwireless" connectivity. Users are prompted only for a password when selecting "WPA" as their encryption type, which indicates that the device is not capable of 802.1x.

In order for the iPhone to be compatible with the OSU wireless network, an update would need to be made available from Apple with 802.1x support.

The Office of Information Technology will continue to test iPhone compatibility as updates are made available."

I am assuming it will not support iPod Touch either...obviously. So, if you're a student there...or even if you aren't, you should leave a message on Apples FEEDBACK site so we can get an update!

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Users are prompted only for a password when selecting "WPA" as their encryption type, which indicates that the device is not capable of 802.1x.

I'm not familiar with this but am curious. Does 802.1x specifically refer to WPA 'Enterprise' which needs a username as well? So the iPhone is only set up for WPA 'Personal'? So it can't be used at all on networks that require a username?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
My guess is that it only supports WPA-PSK (pre-shared key).

I know that the wireless network at my last job was WPA but required certificates to authenticate. This I would imagine is not supported by the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.