PDA

View Full Version : Xbench recognises 12" PB as 534Mhz!!!

vrapan
Aug 16, 2003, 04:36 PM
I wanted to give my machine a little test before I install an extra 512MB RAM and I used Xbench to do that... But whenever I saw the results page it recognised it as 534MHz - btw it was on highest performance on the Energy Saver Panel. Do you have any ideas why that might be - other 12" PBs were recognised on the list correctly. Thanks to everybody

RGunner
Aug 16, 2003, 05:11 PM
plugged in?

zap p-ram?

vrapan
Aug 16, 2003, 05:14 PM
yes it is plugged in but i have never zapped p-ram. do you know of any side effects from zapping p-ram and could you tell me how is it done.
thanks a lot

RGunner
Aug 16, 2003, 05:20 PM
should not be any ill effects, it may reset default screen resolution and other hardware items to factory settings..

its a common practice for macs throughout the ages...

read up on it at www.apple.com if you are curious, the command is:

apple-option-P-R held down at same time, while turning on power, listen for 3 beeps and then release the keys being held.

typically used to reset power management settings amongst other things.

good luck

iJon
Aug 16, 2003, 05:20 PM
there are no side effects, its a good thing to when thing are just messed up. its like washing your car when its dirty.

apple option p r

iJon

vrapan
Aug 16, 2003, 06:04 PM
thanks a lot guys. it now registers it as 867MHz as it should and for reference - i dont know if the :
apple option p r still works for a 12" and 17" pbs but Apple's documentation says

Shift ctrl option power for 5 seconds

Nermal
Aug 17, 2003, 01:49 AM
Shift-Ctrl-Option-Power resets the power manager. Resetting the power manager zaps the pram as well as resetting some other things such as the clock.

markiv810
Aug 17, 2003, 06:10 AM
The processor might actually be running at 534 MHz, to avoid the overheating, of the laptop processor sometimes runs at lowerfrequency that's very normal. I think you can check this stuff out at Apple's webiste. Apple also had an article about the 1 Ghz PowerBook running at 667 Mhz at full load (to prvent the processor from getting overheated). The portable processor is going to operate at lower frequency even if you chose "Maximum Performance" in the "Energy Savings" panel. All the laptops manufactured use this technique (Wintels and Macs).