Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
So I've partitioned an external hard drive using Disk Utility. Each partition is in the right format and the Mac partition works fine. However, when I go in to Windows to format the Windows portion to NTFS, I get an error message when right-clicking the drive and selecting Format. The error basically tells me that I can't do anything because the drive is in use. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I was following the directions and seem to be very close. Any ideas? Thanks!

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
So I've partitioned an external hard drive using Disk Utility. Each partition is in the right format and the Mac partition works fine. However, when I go in to Windows to format the Windows portion to NTFS, I get an error message when right-clicking the drive and selecting Format. The error basically tells me that I can't do anything because the drive is in use. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I was following the directions and seem to be very close. Any ideas? Thanks!

I would simply format the window portion in FAT32 from the Disk Utility. If u don't have files over 4Gb, you wont nocice a thing :rolleyes:

Gryfon19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Is that 4GB per file, or folder, or application, or what? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.