PDA

View Full Version : iTouch Extender: "If They Build It, We Will Buy!"

DeeGee48
Sep 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
Like many others, I too am waiting for a large-capacity HDD iPod Touch. That 160GB drive Apple put in the new Classic sure would look good right now in the Touch, wouldn't it? However, I doubt if Apple's going to do it anytime soon, by Macworld in January say. Only four months; seems very doubtful, especially since they're soooo into this 'thin' thing (yes, the new Nano IS really neat, and thin: about as thick as a Halloween gingerbread cookie! Saw them today...along with the Classics...very nice) BUT, what if a third-party company or two (or three!!!)---hope they're listening---made a thin backpack for the Touch (like some of those add-on battery packs, the nice thin ones, that is) with that 160 gigger in it, plus an extra battery, and AT LEAST stereo Bluetooth for headphones, do you think they'd sell?!?! OH YEAH, and with a like number of Touches to attach to 'em! I'd GLADLY double the thinkness to have the CAPACITY. Just a thought; what do you think?

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 10:47 PM
I don't think we will be seeing a HDD in a touch any time soon. Battery, Size, Reliability, and Accelerometer Problems are all reasons to not put it in there.

NAND memory is only getting cheaper... I bet in the next few years they will complete phase HDD's out of iPods. I bet in the next decade traditional HDD's won't even exist anymore ;)

DeeGee48
Sep 10, 2007, 10:53 PM
I don't think we will be seeing a HDD in a touch any time soon. Battery, Size, Reliability, and Accelerometer Problems are all reasons to not put it in there.

NAND memory is only getting cheaper... I bet in the next few years they will complete phase HDD's out of iPods. I bet in the next decade traditional HDD's won't even exist anymore ;)

Hmmm....Seems obvious you didn't READ what I WROTE, but went off in another direction. For one thing, I'm talking about NOW, not "the next decade". For another, did you see this story today:

Toshiba Prototypes 120 GB 1.8" Single Platter Drive
Monday September 10, 2007 02:15 PM EST
Posted by longofest
Toshiba has announced a prototype 1.8" HDD that fits 120 GB on a single platter via a breakthrough called Discrete Track Recording (DTR). The drive uses the same form factor currently used in Apple's iPod classic.

Currently, Apple uses an 80 GB single-platter drive for its thinner model and a 160 GB dual-platter drive for its slightly thicker model. Toshiba's technology would allow single-platter models to achieve 120 GB densities, with a dual-platter option going as high as 240 GB.

Toshiba plans to begin mass producing the drives in 2009.

SEEMS TO ME HDD AIN'T DEAD YET!! :)

dontwalkhand
Sep 10, 2007, 10:55 PM
If anything I think we may be seeing a 240GB iPod classic soon.

motulist
Sep 10, 2007, 10:56 PM
No new iPods are coming out for at the very least an absolute minimum of 6 months from now, but more likely at least 8 month and probably closer to a year from now. This was a major overhaul of almost the entire iPod line, which was way overdue. They just fired off all of their iPod guns at once. The only apple portable media products that have any possibility of being upgraded within the year are the shuffle and the iPhone.

EDIT: I've never heard of a capacity expander like you're talking about. I don't think it's technically possible. And Apple isn't going to do it.

DeeGee48
Sep 10, 2007, 11:01 PM
No new iPods are coming out for at the very least an absolute minimum of 6 months from now, but more likely at least 8 month and probably closer to a year from now. This was a major overhaul of almost the entire iPod line, which was way overdue. They just fired off all of their iPod guns at once. The only apple portable media products that have any possibility of being upgraded within the year are the shuffle and the iPhone.

HEY GUYS!!!!! I SAID I don't expect APPLE to do anything new anytime soon, no; but I'm talking about THIRD PARTY manufacturers, especially concerning Touch HDD enablement. I think I wrote in standard English...! :p Any thoughts or ideas on what I actually WROTE!!?? Maybe we can stir something up!

Sean Dempsey
Sep 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
What I'd like to see is some PARAGRAPHS.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/34/78/22247834.jpg

DeeGee48
Sep 10, 2007, 11:06 PM
I've never heard of a capacity expander like you're talking about. I don't think it's technically possible.

I would think there would be a way to have it work through the docking connector. Shouldn't be so hard. We DID go to the moon ya know....and built theiPod.....So......:cool:

squeeks
Sep 10, 2007, 11:08 PM
HEY GUYS!!!!! I SAID I don't expect APPLE to do anything new anytime soon, no; but I'm talking about THIRD PARTY manufacturers, especially concerning Touch HDD enablement. I think I wrote in standard English...! :p Any thoughts or ideas on what I actually WROTE!!?? Maybe we can stir something up!

I dont think YOU are listening, IT AINT HAPPENING

NO WAY NO HOW

sorry to burst your little bubble, but you are...not worth it nevermind

DeeGee48
Sep 10, 2007, 11:10 PM
I dont think YOU are listening, IT AINT HAPPENING

NO WAY NO HOW

sorry to burst your little bubble, but you are...not worth it nevermind

Jeez...Why so hostile??? We're talking electronics ideas here I thought....

motulist
Sep 10, 2007, 11:10 PM

The entire first half of your longish paragraph was talking about a change to the iPod products. It wasn't until halfway buried into your longish somewhat unclear paragraph that you mention a third party solution. You really should've started a new paragraph there since that's a totally different idea than the sentences preceding it, and is you main point.

When writing for a web forum you really need to write clearly if you want good responses. To improve the readability of your writing I'd suggest better use of paragraph breaks, many fewer exclamation points, not inserting off topic points in long sentences inside parentheses, not using CAPITAL LETTERS all over the place unless they improve the clarity of your statement,, etc. etc.

You don't have to write in college thesis style, but if you want people to hear what you're saying you should write with the reader's point of view in mind.

motulist
Sep 10, 2007, 11:13 PM
I would think there would be a way to have it work through the docking connector. Shouldn't be so hard. We DID go to the moon ya know....and built theiPod.....So......:cool:

Ugh, do you really not understand what I meant or are you trolling? Of course it's TECHNOLOGICALLY possible, but it's not TECHNICALLY possible in that Apple has kept the iPod platform closed so that accessories can only add functions that Apple has approved.

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 11:19 PM
Jeez...Why so hostile??? We're talking electronics ideas here I thought....

Because you don't want to accept someone's answer...

Seems like you just want someone to tell you it is going to happen..

W/e man.

Rapmastac1
Sep 10, 2007, 11:21 PM
Basically what your saying is you want something like that device that came out for the psp, that had a thing you put on the battery side and the memory side. It added 4 gigs to the psp and more battery life, it made it much thicker than it already was, but was awesome at the time (4 gig cards are now much cheaper)

DeeGee48
Sep 10, 2007, 11:22 PM
Ugh, do you really not understand what I meant or are you trolling? Of course it's TECHNOLOGICALLY possible, but it's not TECHNICALLY possible in that Apple has kept the iPod platform closed so that accessories can only add functions that Apple has approved.

We're probably getting these messages with a lag...I understand what you said...ditto for paragraphs (though I won't win any Pulitzer, I think what I wrote was understandable, one sentence after the other)

Anyway, maybe Apple WOULD condone such an 'extender' plan...save them the trouble...and sell a lot more Touches now! Who knows? Worth a shot putting the idea in play it seems to me...

Going to bed now...Goodnight all...Will check back in the A.M. ...

sblasl
Sep 10, 2007, 11:25 PM
This is a great example of why "newbies" should be kept in their own forum/thread for a minimum of 6 months-!!:(

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
We're probably getting these messages with a lag...I understand what you said...ditto for paragraphs (though I won't win any Pulitzer, I think what I wrote was understandable, one sentence after the other)

Anyway, maybe Apple WOULD condone such an 'extender' plan...save them the trouble...and sell a lot more Touches now! Who knows? Worth a shot putting the idea in play it seems to me...

Going to bed now...Goodnight all...Will check back in the A.M. ...

Forum posts are in real-time...

I am nearly certain you will not see anything like this working with apple iPods.

You would essentially be doubling the size of the iPod and making it look like crap at the same time.

If you need the space buy a classic, If not then maybe a touch is right for you.

DeeGee48
Sep 17, 2007, 10:40 PM
What if a third-party company made a thin backpack for the Touch (like some of those add-on battery packs, the nice thin ones, that is) with that 160 gigger in it, plus an extra battery, and AT LEAST stereo Bluetooth for headphones, do you think they'd sell?

For the record, I meant something like this unit from NewerTech:

http://www.newertech.com/products/vidplus.php

With a thin Touch instead of a "thick 60" attached, it wouldn't be that big. Also, enclose it in a "checkbook register" type cover (which could open and act as a stand) and you'd be able to carry everything in the 160 gig resuvoir. The iPod could also be taken out and used normally. This would be a current option until flash memory prices come way down and/or that MobilMe/Mobil Mac service appears and becomes standard. Just talking for now, not forever. Now that wasn't too bad, was it kids? :)

wizzracer
Sep 17, 2007, 11:53 PM
For the record, I meant something like this unit from NewerTech:

http://www.newertech.com/products/vidplus.php

With a thin Touch instead of a "thick 60" attached, it wouldn't be that big. Also, enclose it in a "checkbook register" type cover (which could open and act as a stand) and you'd be able to carry everything in the 160 gig resuvoir. The iPod could also be taken out and used normally. This would be a current option until flash memory prices come way down and/or that MobilMe/Mobil Mac service appears and becomes standard. Just talking for now, not forever. Now that wasn't too bad, was it kids? :)

There is no flash drives made that large. I'm sure in the future there will be. They will replace HD's and ram all together.

Anyways there is a way to get around it right now. When i find a good hosting site you will find out how. Check it out in a few weeks www.applewifitouch.com

jacktiernan
Sep 17, 2007, 11:57 PM
What I'd like to see is some PARAGRAPHS.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/34/78/22247834.jpg

omg! lol :D:D:D

there are soooooo many good reasons NOT to put hdd in a touch. I'm not even going to state them again.

Do you think apple don't know that people would love a 80+ gb ipod touch?

I trust their judgement.

squeeks
Sep 18, 2007, 09:05 AM
Do you think apple don't know that people would love a 80+ gb ipod touch?

I was hoping for one, but now i understand the reasons of going solid state..

still... an iPod ultimate is an interesting idea..