Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I am starting my first year of college, and I was wondering which printer would be a better choice. An inkjet or laserjet compared in overall pricing. laserjet printers are more expensive, but they seem to be a lot more efficient and toner lasts longer than and inkjet cartridge. But there may be other hidden cost of a long term laserjet that I don't know about. I hate to be picky, but I really want some hard facts (weblink if possible), not opinion, but words of wisdom from experience are definitely welcome. I have done some resaerch, and it looks like the Brother HL-1440 would be a good deal as I can get it for around $200 via C-Net's shopping center thing. Thanks for the help,

Stoid

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
Cartridges

Granted cartridges are more expensive, but it looks like they last longer. $60 for 3,000 pages or $85 for 6,000 pages on toner for the Brother HL-1440. That comes to 1.4 to 2 cents per page. InkJet cartidges don't seem to have page ratings, but I doubt that a $10 inkJet cartridge refurbished and half filled from eBay will printer 500 pages. I can't seem to find any hard facts on the life and page-ratings of inkJet cartridges, but it just doesn't seem like they come anywhere close to a laserJet per page cost.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
Compatibility is important though, I will have to suffer *cringes* through at least a few months on a windows machine. I am going to Northwest Missouri State University, and they give you a Gateway machine as part of tuition in your dorm room, so I can't stomach dropping a grand for a mac until I am certain that the PC will not suit my needs.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
before you commit to laser

Check out

http://www.inksupply.com

Epson and Canon printers tend to have more aftermarket ink options such as refills, 3rd party cartridges, and CIS *(Continuous Inking Systems) than HP or Lexmark, but otherwise, bulk ink is considerably less expensive than oem cartridges.

If you want photo quality, color output, as well as low cost black prints, I recommend you consider these.

*I've been using an Epson 1280 with a CIS system from nomorecarts without a hitch since the 1280 hit the market (2.5 years), using bulk ink from MIS (inksupply.com).

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I was in this same boat about 2 weeks ago. I got a Lexmark Z32 free with my iBook about 2 years ago - and never had a problem with it. The only thing that bothered me, though, is that I printed color very infrequently and thus the color cartridge dried up on me a few times. The other shortcoming with it was the inability to share it to my girlfriend's Windows 2000 laptop - so she couldn't print from it at all (go go OS X windows file sharing for that one).

It came time to buy 2 new cartridges a few weeks ago - and rather than spending $60 on them (and after seeing these guys get a Samsung for $75 on here) , I found a LaserWriter 16/600 PS WITH the 500-page paper cassette that sits on the bottom for $50 on ebay. A steal, I tell you. Shipping was $20 and the guy threw in a brand new toner cartridge. A quick trip over to the computer junk shop got me an AAUI -> RJ-45 transceiver and now I have TCP/IP printing - and she can finally print. The LaserWriter is 100% compatible with Windows via parallel port and TCP/IP.

Careful with the toner cartridges on this model though - office depot sells the genuine apple cartridge for $136, but the office depot generic brand - or even the HP equivalent (yes, HP cartridges fit most laserwriters I've found out) are less than half of that (lowest I've seen is $65).

I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.