PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Feature Makes iPodtouch and iPhone Physical Storage Limitations Obsolete

Joedy
Sep 11, 2007, 07:57 AM
http://9to5mac.com/trick-wifi-ipod-touch-iphone-unlimited-storage-2343452

I've been wondering about this myself. If the new iPt can stream data through the browser, why not just post your catalog content on a web server and stream your library collection?

You could save your must-have-favorite songs, videos and movies on the iPt and anticipate merely streaming your remaining iTunes library.

-joedy

RumMunkey
Sep 11, 2007, 08:04 AM
A friend and I were discussing this the other day. Yes, it certainly seems possible / plausible.

jsw
Sep 11, 2007, 08:04 AM
The problem is that you'd only be able to access it when you had WiFi access, and you'd be exposing your files to the world.

That said, I've had my iTunes library web-enabled (off and on) for years, and it works fine.

mkrishnan
Sep 11, 2007, 08:10 AM
Also makes many WiFi devices with web browsers into iPods if you really want it. :)

wakerider017
Sep 11, 2007, 08:42 AM
The problem is that you'd only be able to access it when you had WiFi access, and you'd be exposing your files to the world.

That said, I've had my iTunes library web-enabled (off and on) for years, and it works fine.

You could password protect you itunes catalog...

How have you had your iTunes Library "web-enabled"?

Sep 11, 2007, 09:39 AM
http://9to5mac.com/trick-wifi-ipod-touch-iphone-unlimited-storage-2343452

I've been wondering about this myself. If the new iPt can stream data through the browser, why not just post your catalog content on a web server and stream your library collection?

You could save your must-have-favorite songs, videos and movies on the iPt and anticipate merely streaming your remaining iTunes library.

-joedy

You're definitely on to something... more than you probably realize.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I've come to the conclusion that the next stage in Apple's "digital hub" strategy is to extend that capacity out to the Internet. That is:

Steve Jobs described Apple's long term strategy as making the computer the digital hub of your lifestyle. The first stage was the introduction of a suite of products like iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, etc. that enabled connection to digital "appliances" that added value to the Mac.

The second step was in introducing an appliance, the iPod.

The third step was in introducing the content... iTunes Music Store... to help facilitate demand for the iPod.

The fourth step was in introducing products like iPhone and AppleTV to extend the range of the "digital hub" to the living room and on the go.

And I believe the next step will be giving these devices interconnectivity over next generation technologies like 4G/WiMax, etc. for high quality distribution of content from your computer network to anywhere you are mobile.

Apple has introduced the iPhone and iPod touch as two mobile communications platforms... let's not forget that WiFi is key to the iPod touch. But they also seem to be developing laptop like devices incorporating multitouch on an even larger scale with built in WiFi and/or EDGE, 3G or 4G technologies for constant mobile connectivity.

A year or so ago a report came out that noted that mobile access to the internet (e.g. at wifi hotspots, over 3G, EDGE, etc.) has been exploding and Apple is very keen on this.

Apple's "experiment" AppleTV has also seen some proposals in patent filings whereby they want it to be two-way accessible by remote devices. Possibly allowing you to communicate to it on the go from iPhone or iPod touch to navigate your entire network's library and call up any movie you want to stream it directly to your portable, be it an iPod touch, iPhone, or (in the very near future) MobileMac (as the division is being called).

We might also see these technologies integrated directly into cars. Mercedes Benz and BMW have both been working with Apple. In Benz's case, there's talk that Apple may take over the development of their onboard navigation/entertainment systems. You might see a built-in "mobile mac" and the ability to dock your iPhone to the car's systems for in-dash navigation of both your iPhone, onboard AND LAN-based libraries.

I think this is precisely where Apple is heading as this degree of technological convergence is extremely desirable right now.

TBi
Sep 11, 2007, 09:45 AM
The fourth step was in introducing products like iPhone and AppleTV to extend the range of the "digital hub" to the living room and on the go.

And I believe the next step will be giving these devices interconnectivity over next generation technologies like 4G/WiMax, etc. for high quality distribution of content from your computer network to anywhere you are mobile.

Apple has introduced the iPhone and iPod touch as two mobile communications platforms... let's not forget that WiFi is key to the iPod touch. But they also seem to be developing laptop like devices incorporating multitouch on an even larger scale with built in WiFi and/or EDGE, 3G or 4G technologies for constant mobile connectivity.

Actually apple is close to something like this with it's new .Mac services in leopard, where you can connect to another mac over the internet if both macs are connected to .Mac. Couldn't this also be used on your iPhone or iPod with wifi?

You have your computer at home on .Mac then you connect up your iPhone to .Mac and it connects to your home Mac with hopefully a VPN and allows you to stream your content to your phone in a protected fashion.

twynne
Sep 11, 2007, 10:00 AM
Taking this a step futher, surely you could use SSL-Explorer http://sourceforge.net/projects/sslexplorer/ and access all of it's functionality (browsing of folders/files on the host, VNC (java), etc.) over a completely secure connection. I'm assuming that Safari on the Touch and/or iPhone supports java??

Thoughts?

gloss
Sep 11, 2007, 10:32 AM
I just set up an Orb account on my PC, and I can now stream all my videos to any internet-enabled device. Works on all my PC/Macs, now I just need to get my friend to test it out on his iPhone.

Money, baby.

jockeyrob
Sep 11, 2007, 12:16 PM
Hey can someone more knowledgable about servers and internet pages read this and explain how exactly something like this would work for a personal user who is currently without a server or a web page. Thanks.

http://www.9to5mac.com/trick-wifi-ipod-touch-iphone-unlimited-storage-2343452#comments

gloss
Sep 11, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hey can someone more knowledgable about servers and internet pages read this and explain how exactly something like this would work for a personal user who is currently without a server or a web page. Thanks.

http://www.9to5mac.com/trick-wifi-ipod-touch-iphone-unlimited-storage-2343452#comments

Make a server or a webpage. I just did one this morning with orb.com.

jockeyrob
Sep 11, 2007, 12:26 PM
Okay, however, we're on MacRumors. Not PCRumors. Thus I like most people here, have a mac. And it seems that Orb is a PC only thing now currently. (I realize that it is in Beta for Mac)

Is there a Mac alternative to something like this? To host video for free?

Joedy
Sep 11, 2007, 12:31 PM
I just set up an Orb account on my PC, and I can now stream all my videos to any internet-enabled device. Works on all my PC/Macs, now I just need to get my friend to test it out on his iPhone.

Money, baby.

Please let us know how this works out.

-joedy

PygmySurfer
Sep 11, 2007, 12:31 PM
Okay, however, we're on MacRumors. Not PCRumors. Thus I like most people here, have a mac. And it seems that Orb is a PC only thing now currently. (I realize that it is in Beta for Mac)

Is there a Mac alternative to something like this? To host video for free?

This is the iPod/iTunes forum. iPod/iTunes are available for Mac AND PC. gloss' solution could be beneficial to other members of this forum.

benlee
Sep 11, 2007, 12:34 PM
how does this work and how well does it work. is there a security concern? This actually works out for me because i have a pc that is just sitting at home waiting to be used for something.

mithykal
Sep 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
it's not very practical, you need to be by a wifi connection all the time then..

gloss
Sep 11, 2007, 12:38 PM
how does this work and how well does it work. is there a security concern? This actually works out for me because i have a pc that is just sitting at home waiting to be used for something.

From the bit I've played with it, it works great. It involves a login, so it's not just out there for the public to play with. It only shares specified directories, and it can stream them in a variety of formats that can be chosen client-side (so at work I could use Flash, on an iPhone I could use Quicktime 3gp).

I found this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SF9nNVILkI) on Youtube that shows exactly how it would work on an iPhone. The interface (also a client-side option) the guy is using is the Home Theater interface, which is bigger and simpler and much nicer to use on a small screen.

Really nifty.

It would be nice if they released a Mac server app as well, but my desktop machine is a PC so this is fried gold as far as I'm concerned.

it's not very practical, you need to be by a wifi connection all the time then..

Yes, but it supplements whatever material you have on your iPod already. Options, man. Personally, half the time I'd want to watch something or wish I had a certain song on me I'm at a friend's house anyway, so this is perfect.

edit: Sorry, BV. I sometimes don't notice comments until after I've finished replying.

nirvana06
Sep 11, 2007, 12:41 PM
this is great news, makes sense too. I'll be doing that for sure.

madmaxmedia
Sep 11, 2007, 01:50 PM
I think it's a nice extra, but not a practical full-time solution. I am imagining the hit on battery life to be significant.