Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fezparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I am looking to upgrade my G3 400mhz B&W it has 1gb ram, ATI Radeon 7000 64mb graphics card, 40gb HDD and I'm running Panther. I would like to install Tiger and i've seen a XLR8 600 MAChSpeed upgrade which looks good and wondered if there are any options?

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I am looking to upgrade my G3 400mhz B&W it has 1gb ram, ATI Radeon 7000 64mb graphics card, 40gb HDD and I'm running Panther. I would like to install Tiger and i've seen a XLR8 600 MAChSpeed upgrade which looks good and wondered if there are any options?

I have not kept up with the upgrades. I have a PowerMac 9600 (10 yrs old now!) that I've upgrade over the years with Sonnet Technologies upgrade CPUs. Never had a problem with them. Check their site maybe there is an option for you:

http://sonnettech.com/

TBH, it is probably more cost effective to get a Mac mini, it might out perform your Mac by now :(

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Some good news for you..

The B&W was an awsome machine. You can upgrade your B&W G3 with an G4 CPU card. Here is your link:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/encore.html

Let me know your experience with your CPU upgrade once installed.

:apple:

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
it is probably more cost effective to get a Mac mini, it might out perform your Mac by now :(

I totally agree. Even with major upgrades to an old G3, a new mac mini will run rings around it. It's not worth putting any money into a G3 any more. Heck, for the price of a CPU upgrade card you could probably buy a whole entire used G4 tower at the same speed of the upgrade card. Try to sell your old G3 for under $100 and put that money toward a new Mac Mini.

fezparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I'm tempted by a mini but I've seen some chips on ebay for about £60 and i'm not asking anything to much from the machine it's for my son and it would be nice to have Tiger on it so he stays off my macbook but not to sure if the g3 will be upto the job.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Tiger Is officially not supported on a G3, so even if you upgrade the CPU the machine will still report as an unsupported model and the installer may refuse to install tiger. If you're planning to buy an upgrade card for the main purpose of being able to use Tiger, I'd definitely take a wait and see approach. A few weeks after the new OS is released you'll be able to find reliable information regarding whether or not an upgrade card will allow your computer to competently run Tiger.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
oops, I got my cats confused, I thought you were referring to 10.5, not 10.4. If I were you I'd install 10.4 on it without the upgrade card first and see if an upgrade card is actually needed. I believe 10.4 isn't any more processor intensive than 10.3 is, just more ram hungry.

fezparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I'll give it a try with 10.4 and see how it goes before trying the upgrade, but the idea is in my head now and I tend to get carried away with these things! I will post back when i've had a go at it. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.