PDA

View Full Version : Lost Repair?

nokq
Aug 17, 2003, 02:53 PM
I am the proud owner of a 12in powerbook, bought in March 2003.

Recently my latch stoped working so I took the book into CompUSA for repair, as it is still under warrenty.

Well I took the book in the 9th of August. The compUSA representative informed me that it would be shipped off Monday (August 11th). I didnt think much of it, and regretfully let my baby go.

I let the week pass as I though it would surely take at least that time for the book to be repaired. I've since done some research as to the status of my repair.

CompUSA claims to have mailed off the book on the 12th and apple has yet to recieve it? Is my book lost?

I am going to talk with the Store Tech Manager tommorow Monday. It's been a little over a week since I left it with them. The repair seems to have gotton nowhere.

What are your thoughts? What can i do? What do you recommend? Will they replace my laptop if it was lost?

Powerbook G5
Aug 17, 2003, 03:09 PM
I've always had problems with CompUSA repairing anything...I'd say it might still be in transit somewhere to Apple. The most likely thing is that you will have to wait for a little while longer to see if Apple receives it. I am not sure what CompUSA's policy on "lost" repairs, but once they broke something on my motherboard while upgrading the RAM and HD on a Toshiba desktop I had once and they refused to admit fault and was stuck having to pay out of my own pocket to get it replaced. If anything, I'd call Apple and ask them for help since they are pretty good about getting to the bottom of anything.

Rezet
Aug 17, 2003, 07:55 PM
I hate compusa. They want to be the top dog but are rude, sly and don't seem to care much about anything.
I've dealt with them twice. And even in europe they acted so arrogant that even surprised me they are in a business of selling anything.

applemacdude
Aug 18, 2003, 04:50 PM
Comp usa is not a mac friendly place. One time I went to the store and overheard an employee having a conversation with a customer, she wanted a nice little cheap laptop just for email and web browsing and she asked about a thousand dollar ibook. The employee said that macs were very slow and that they were using a operating system that was the equvilant to windows 98. After the employee left I started to have a concversation with the lady and I told her that macs were a better buy and that were not slow. So I told her that there was a apple store a couple of blocks away and she went there. Guess what? She bought an ibook with a combo drive and she tanked me. What happened to comp usa? I changed the screen saver of every pc to Windows Sucks!!! and then just turned off the power strip and all the little pc's stood lifeless. The employees didnt know what happened and it took them like twenty minutes just to discover that someone turned it them off.

PS: The last time i went to there store the pcs had teh worm on them lol:D

Rezet
Aug 18, 2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by applemacdude
Comp usa is not a mac friendly place. One time I went to the store and overheard an employee having a conversation with a customer, she wanted a nice little cheap laptop just for email and web browsing and she asked about a thousand dollar ibook. The employee said that macs were very slow and that they were using a operating system that was the equvilant to windows 98. After the employee left I started to have a concversation with the lady and I told her that macs were a better buy and that were not slow. So I told her that there was a apple store a couple of blocks away and she went there. Guess what? She bought an ibook with a combo drive and she tanked me. What happened to comp usa? I changed the screen saver of every pc to Windows Sucks!!! and then just turned off the power strip and all the little pc's stood lifeless. The employees didnt know what happened and it took them like twenty minutes just to discover that someone turned it them off.

PS: The last time i went to there store the pcs had teh worm on them lol:D

Heh, I went top gateway, and put steve job's keynote presentation on every laptop they had there. Well, one laptop crashed when i tried to ffwd to G5 speed tests in keynote.
Then they nicely asked me to leave :)

nokq
Aug 18, 2003, 08:37 PM
Well, you'll never believe the outcome of this story.

I spent the day tracking down my laptop. As I pointed out earlier, I left the laptop with them August 9th (proof is on my receipt). I had been told several times that my laptop had been shipped out and that they would contact me as soon as they recieved it from Apple. I knew better, since calls to Apple Support and a check of http://customer.apple.com/repairstatus/ indicated that Apple had not recieved the powerbook. So after being told to call back tommorow on Sunday, I decided to personally visit the store.

Let me tell you, CompUSA is horrible when it comes to customer service. I watched regretfully as idle employees stood around while i waited at the service desk for a representative. Not one bothered to ask me for help until five minutes after I arrived.

When I finally did get the attention that I needed, I asked the clerk to get me a tracking number for my package. I explained to her that I had left my laptop last week with them for repair and it was supposed to be shiped out on Monday Second Day (Airborne Express) to an Apple Repair Center. I also added that I had been in contact with Apple and that they had yet to recieve it. She went back to talk with a tech and came back with a tracking number. I wrote the number down and left.

Armed with a new lead I raced back home. I logged onto the Internet (www.airborne.com) and entered the number, only to find that it wasn't in the system. To be safe, I tryed UPS, and FedEx too. But to no avail! I ended up calling Airborne express, and speaking with a representative. He confirmed exactly what the website said, the package number was not in the system.

So I called CompUSA. I was getting quite used to calling them, and had figured that all I needed to dial tech services was to hit ext. 5. Again, I asked for a tracking number. I thought surely I must have copied it down wrong earlier today. To my surprise she gave me the exact number I had written down with my earlier visit.

Of course, now I was thinking the worst. Was the package indeed lost?

I asked the tech at CompUSA if she had a copy of the Airborne Express reciept. She said yes she did, and asked if I would like to have it faxed over. Well I dont have a fax machine so I told her I would be over to pick a copy up.

I made yet another trip to CompUSA, 20 minutes away from my house.

Thankfully, the tech left it at the front counter and I didn't have to wait this time. Now I was thinking, here is proof that the powerbook was shipped off with Airborne Express. And as far as I could tell, this was a legit Airborne customer receipt. Oddly enough, it had been signed 8-15-03. Nevertheless, I went home once more and proceeded to call Airborne.

Again I told the Airborne representative my tracking number. And again, she told me it wasn't in the system. I triumphantly told the representative that I had a actual reciept from Airborne Express that they had indeed picked up my laptop. But she said it wasn't possible and asked at me to look at the drivers signature.

Big surprise, a driver never signed for the package. She told me that if he didn't sign for the package then they didn't pick it up, and that my missing laptop was surely with CompUSA.

By now I was furious. I seemed to have been given the run around all weekend long. I called CompUSA back, and asked to speak with the tech manager Armando.

I told my story to Armando, I gave him my Service Order number and told him about the reciept I had picked up earlier in the day that was missing the drivers signature. He put me on hold and went through his records.

A short while later he came on the phone and informed me that he had found my laptop. It was "at our warehouse". I asked how and why then was I told that the laptop had been shipped to Apple a week ago. To that question he could give no definate answer. He then asked wether I wanted him to ship the laptop out tommorow (Tuesday 19). A full ten days after I left it with him. I politly refused, making some comments about the level of service I was getting and told him I would be right over to pick up the powerbook.

I made my third trip to CompUSA to pick up my laptop. It had sat for a full 10 days waiting to be shipped.

I wonder if the idiots over at CompUSA were purposely misleading me through out the whole ordeal. Did they fake an order slip just to make me believe that they had shipped out my laptop? Or was it an honest mistake? Whatever it was, they sure are crappy in terms of the level of service that I would have expected.

Well I have amassed quite a bit of evidence, copies of the repair order, the purportedly fake Airborne Express reciept, and names of the employees who I dealt with. I am thinking of forwarding the whole mess over to the better BBB or perhaps Corporate CompUSA. What do you all think?

At the very least I am very happy to get my laptop back!

Cesar

idea_hamster
Aug 18, 2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by nokq
I am thinking of forwarding the whole mess over to the better BBB or perhaps Corporate CompUSA.
That is truly a tale of horror -- and sadly I'm not at all surprized.:rolleyes:
I think that if you're going to letter-write, your ideas are good (BBB and CompUSA Corp.) -- but I would suggest writing to the BBB first, and then enclosing a copy of that letter to the BBB with your letter to CompUSA. This way, the people at corporate can see that the chump at your store is getting them in trouble with the regulators. Don't expect to see this guy in handcuffs on 60 Minutes, but you might get a new manager at your local store.

Kwyjibo
Aug 18, 2003, 09:27 PM
they might offer you a gift certificate or something if you complain enough to compusa...

nokq
Aug 18, 2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by idea_hamster
That is truly a tale of horror -- and sadly I'm not at all surprized.:rolleyes:
I think that if you're going to letter-write, your ideas are good (BBB and CompUSA Corp.) -- but I would suggest writing to the BBB first, and then enclosing a copy of that letter to the BBB with your letter to CompUSA. This way, the people at corporate can see that the chump at your store is getting them in trouble with the regulators. Don't expect to see this guy in handcuffs on 60 Minutes, but you might get a new manager at your local store.

I just forwarded my complain to the BBB at their website http://www.bbb.org

Here's hoping that someone over their feels the heat for lying all weekend.

I'll let you know the outcome of my complaint.

Now if I can just find some Corporate CompUSA representative email addresses and let them know of this tragedy.

Lanbrown
Aug 19, 2003, 08:05 AM
It is not a fake Airborne Express receipt. UPS, Fed-Ex and Airborne all have shipping forms that need to be filled out. You fill it out and attach it to the box and one copy is left with the sender, in this case, CompUSA. Comp USA just never gave it to the Airborne Express driver, that's all. It either got misplaced or it was just overlooked.

If it was being sent back to Apple, why not just ship it yourself? Whenever you add a middleman into the mix, the results are always poor.

Idea_hamster,

The BBB is not a government agency and has no power. It is a business association that some companies like to belong to. If they have too many complaints, they cannot join or they get revoked.

nokq
Aug 19, 2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Lanbrown
It is not a fake Airborne Express receipt. UPS, Fed-Ex and Airborne all have shipping forms that need to be filled out. You fill it out and attach it to the box and one copy is left with the sender, in this case, CompUSA. Comp USA just never gave it to the Airborne Express driver, that's all. It either got misplaced or it was just overlooked.

If it was being sent back to Apple, why not just ship it yourself? Whenever you add a middleman into the mix, the results are always poor.

Idea_hamster,

The BBB is not a government agency and has no power. It is a business association that some companies like to belong to. If they have too many complaints, they cannot join or they get revoked.

The Airborne Express receipt is real, you are correct, they filled it out and never shipped it out.

Sure they might have misplaced it or overlooked the order. But does this justify them telling me "they shipped it out Tuesday". If in fact, CompUSA did honestly intend to ship out my order, why was the slip dated August 15th several days (4) after the intended Monday ship date?

My bet is that they did indeed forget about it or misplace it. But they tryed to silence me and remedy the problem by consistently telling me that it was shipped off and that they would recieve word from Apple and contact me. My percistancy drove them so far as to give me both the tracking number and copy of the tracking receipt, which ultimatly exposed them for what they are.

They are not theives. But they made a mistake and tryed to fix it by lying to me. People make mistakes, that is fine. But the techs at my local CompUSA are liars.

nokq
Aug 19, 2003, 11:16 AM

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 11:56 AM
Now you know why many of us don't go to CompUSA for our business. I've had nothing but *the worst* experiences when trying to get Mac help there. They are all right with PC stuff, but if you go to the Apple store within a store, the tech at our store is never there and the PC people wander over and start flaming Apples and ask why you don't just look at the PCs. I don't know how they expect to get your business if they both attack you and your personal choice in products that you are trying to buy from them. I remember when I asked them if they will get the new 12"/17"for display models back in the spring and the guy there said "Why? They are pieces of crap anyway" I asked what made him say that and he just said "Just because" It just sucks, because that's the only place to get Apple stuff near my school. I just thank God when I go home that I have an Apple Store 5 minutes from my house.

Lanbrown
Aug 19, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by nokq
The Airborne Express receipt is real, you are correct, they filled it out and never shipped it out.

Sure they might have misplaced it or overlooked the order. But does this justify them telling me "they shipped it out Tuesday". If in fact, CompUSA did honestly intend to ship out my order, why was the slip dated August 15th several days (4) after the intended Monday ship date?

My bet is that they did indeed forget about it or misplace it. But they tryed to silence me and remedy the problem by consistently telling me that it was shipped off and that they would recieve word from Apple and contact me. My percistancy drove them so far as to give me both the tracking number and copy of the tracking receipt, which ultimatly exposed them for what they are.

They are not theives. But they made a mistake and tryed to fix it by lying to me. People make mistakes, that is fine. But the techs at my local CompUSA are liars.

Maybe they thought it was shipped out. Companies usually have scheduled pickup times, so if they received it by X time it will go out on Y. The people you talked to on the phone thought it was shipped out and never actually checked to see if it was. The form was filled out; they placed their copy of the form in their folder saying it was shipped when it was not. Maybe they forgot to fill out the form and the pick-up already took place.

I would not use a third-party to ship a product back. I would have sent it to Apple directly.

nokq
Aug 19, 2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Lanbrown
Maybe they thought it was shipped out. Companies usually have scheduled pickup times, so if they received it by X time it will go out on Y. The people you talked to on the phone thought it was shipped out and never actually checked to see if it was. The form was filled out; they placed their copy of the form in their folder saying it was shipped when it was not. Maybe they forgot to fill out the form and the pick-up already took place.

I would not use a third-party to ship a product back. I would have sent it to Apple directly.

I did want to send the powerbook to Apple. When I called i started a trouble ticket and informed them that my latch was not working properly. I believe that since i did not purchase AppleCare yet, they would not have me send it to them directly. The tech with Apple insisted that I take it to a third party first. Does anyone know the rules for this sort of thing?