PDA

View Full Version : Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5 problem

tonyeck
Sep 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
Hey, got a question for you guys...

At work we have a Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5 and we have had this issue which no one knows how to fix (i.e. Mac Genius's, etc etc)...

This is the error:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3813/dscn1561mo4.th.jpg (http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1561mo4.jpg)
And sometimes:

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1818/dscn1554if1.th.jpg (http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1554if1.jpg)

We have switched the HDD, switched the Ram... Any ideas what else it could be?

Thanks!

Tony

mad jew
Sep 12, 2007, 08:27 AM
That's a kernel panic (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106228). It's usually caused by a piece of dodgy hardware, so what peripherals and third party components do you have installed or connected to the machine? What are you doing with it at the time of the panics?

Dreadnought
Sep 12, 2007, 04:17 PM
Do you have kingston Ram in it? Had the same with my G5, hasn't happen a long time. It's definately a kernal panic.

tonyeck
Sep 12, 2007, 04:34 PM
No 3rd party hardware (apart from HDD which was bought new after it started doing this)

The RAM is the standard ram that came with the machine.

Would you expect the ram to be faulty then?

mad jew
Sep 13, 2007, 01:37 AM
The link I gave earlier outlines a few different ways of finding the source. It could still be a RAM problem but use Console in the Utilities folder to check the crash logs. They might hint at something else.

fareedb
Oct 22, 2008, 03:15 PM
i too have had the SAME problems with my dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5...mac genius was stumped as well--

i now suspect that the board itself MAY be fried as the result of too many kernal panics -- although Apple insist that some 3rd party upgrade must not be working thati did-- -- BUT

...... i also have ANOTHER dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5! ( same lot time frame for unit production) and ALL 3rd party parts that were in the previous G5 .. work fine for a months worth of testing?

i think apple should swap the board for me

Slimdude22
Oct 22, 2008, 05:59 PM
I had the same problem and a buddy of mine fixed my computer saying it's either the hardboard is fried which it has been for about 2 years earlier which is why half my screen is greyed out (need new mac!) or it was the kingston Ram. I would bet it was the Ram. But it's something hardware not software.

he fixed it by having it not boot up wrong but he's not sure what he did to fix it :)

zmttoxics
Oct 22, 2008, 06:22 PM
I love how no one read the kernel panic. :p

The error occurred with IOATABlockStorage (and the dependencies: IOStorageFamily and IOATAFamily). This means the problem is with either the drive it self, or the controller on the motherboard.

First things to do:
-Run a test tool like TechTool Deluxe that comes with AppleCare
-If you have any usb drives, remove them
-If you have a second harddrive in the system, remove it
-If you still get errors with the secondary drives removed, replace the primary with a fresh installation

Good Luck!

fareedb
Oct 22, 2008, 09:36 PM
I had the same problem and a buddy of mine fixed my computer saying it's either the hardboard is fried which it has been for about 2 years earlier which is why half my screen is greyed out (need new mac!) or it was the kingston Ram. I would bet it was the Ram. But it's something hardware not software.

he fixed it by having it not boot up wrong but he's not sure what he did to fix it :)

well....that sounds promising-- i am finding a lot of persons with the same issues with the Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5--- did i also mention that sometimes when booting up-- the fans come on and reach full blast like a jet engine? real weird

and when the G5 does make it to desktop-- (here is kicker) --- after exactly 10 -15 minutes of "running" doing either nothing or desktop work-- it freeze crashes -- (no multi-lang screen) just a very quiet hard drive/CPU and no moving mouse--EVERYTIME! btw--- ALL disk utilties softwares pass with flying colors

fareedb
Oct 29, 2008, 02:46 PM
what is the or the controller on the motherboard?

that may be the ONLY hardware on my powermac g5 dual 1.8 that has not been swapped out? or maybe the hard drive is TOO BIG? (200 GB drive) to be used onmy powermac g5 dual 1.8?

I love how no one read the kernel panic. :p

The error occurred with IOATABlockStorage (and the dependencies: IOStorageFamily and IOATAFamily). This means the problem is with either the drive it self, or the controller on the motherboard.

First things to do:
-Run a test tool like TechTool Deluxe that comes with AppleCare
-If you have any usb drives, remove them
-If you have a second harddrive in the system, remove it
-If you still get errors with the secondary drives removed, replace the primary with a fresh installation

Good Luck!

zmttoxics
Oct 30, 2008, 11:06 PM
what is the or the controller on the motherboard?

that may be the ONLY hardware on my powermac g5 dual 1.8 that has not been swapped out? or maybe the hard drive is TOO BIG? (200 GB drive) to be used onmy powermac g5 dual 1.8?

No such thing. SATA supports all current sized disks.

A controller is basically something that interfaces something to something else (example: motherboard controller <-> harddrive controller). So your motherboard has a SATA controller that handles all harddrive communication, and the harddrive it self has a controller that controls the drive and transmits information back and forth to the motherboard controller.

For the controller to fail on the motherboard it could be just faulty, or a drive connected to it is causing it fail. In the first case, you need a new motherboard, but since its a G5 - you need a new computer. If its the harddrive, replace the harddrive.

The only way to test is to get a brand new harddrive and do a fresh installation on it or use an external usb / firewire harddrive and do a fresh installation on it then boot it.

Earl Urly
Oct 31, 2008, 09:48 AM
If you boot off the System CD/DVD and you still get the same crash, chances are reeeeal good it's hardware. Either the logic board or video card, and either one is a pain in the butt pricewise.

fareedb
Nov 1, 2008, 07:14 AM
the G5 does pass with flying colors on ALL CD/DVD boot disk: clean installs on tiger and lepoard both done this week--but then it has that "quiet crash" or the high speed fans crash at startup---

G5 hardware test disk pass (btw: which says the ram, video card hard drive, motherboard, etc all pass?) , tech tool disk pass, diskwarrior disk pass...

so my guess is to try a SMALLER GB-sized drive now--like 60 GB?--- i read somehwehre (on-line) that faulty controlers COULD cause improper hard drive-reading--- and i've reading very similar prb's with this generation G5 1.8 as having problems--- apparently it is based on the serial numbers--b/c unit after this series seem to be ok--- <so maybe apple knew they goofed?>

after that-- i'm gonna wave the white flag & turn this G5 prb into a fish tank -****many thanks to the MACRUMORS FAMILY for all your help : )***