PDA

View Full Version : Inside an iPod touch???

MaddieBrad
Sep 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
So, does anyone know what is inside an iPod touch? I am curious to know the kind of flash memory it uses. Do you suppose that this is the drive for the next ipod touch?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/20/conventional_hard_drive_obsoletism/

Anyone think that you could mod a touch to house this drive? I don't really know if it is possible or not more just curious.

I cannot see myself buying a touch until they are in the 80 GB range. I have way to much music and want all my music, all the time to buy a 16gb one. An 80 GB iPod touch would have my money in a heartbeat.

wakerider017
Sep 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
So, does anyone know what is inside an iPod touch? I am curious to know the kind of flash memory it uses. Do you suppose that this is the drive for the next ipod touch?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/20/conventional_hard_drive_obsoletism/

Anyone think that you could mod a touch to house this drive? I don't really know if it is possible or not more just curious.

I cannot see myself buying a touch until they are in the 80 GB range. I have way to much music and want all my music, all the time to buy a 16gb one. An 80 GB iPod touch would have my money in a heartbeat.

Your not going to see 80GB Flash for a LONG time.

squeeks
Sep 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
itll be a couple of years

MaddieBrad
Sep 11, 2007, 07:56 PM
itll be a couple of years

couple of years my ass... you can get 32 gigs right now. I have 16 Gigs on a CF card for my DSLR. I would say we are at most a year away from an 80 gig flash drive... BUT THIS WASN'T MY QUESTION.

I want to know what the flash drive looks like in the ipod touch. Think its possible to hack that baby and drop one of those 32 gig flash drives in?

aethelbert
Sep 11, 2007, 08:05 PM
couple of years my ass... you can get 32 gigs right now. I have 16 Gigs on a CF card for my DSLR. I would say we are at most a year away from an 80 gig flash drive... BUT THIS WASN'T MY QUESTION.

I want to know what the flash drive looks like in the ipod touch. Think its possible to hack that baby and drop one of those 32 gig flash drives in?
Nobody wants to pay for the cost of a 32GB iPod touch at the present time. Nobody really cares about your compact flash card because it means NOTHING about the iPod. We're gonna be around two years before seeing a 64GB touch, so you are wrong. And if you had a clue, you would know that you'll never see an 80GB flash drive... powers of two, powers of two...

To your question, the flash chip on the iPhone is soldered onto the board, so the touch will more than likely be the same.

wakerider017
Sep 11, 2007, 08:18 PM
The OP is a complete Jerk... :rolleyes:

aethelbert
Sep 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
The OP is a complete Jerk...
Me thinks that it's a bit more than that, but oh well. I did what I could to answer the question...

you can get 32 gigs right now.

Please also note that the cited 32GB chipset is nowhere close to what's in the iPhone/touch. Go look for a picture of a disection of the iPhone and see the size of those flash chips. Face it, you've got a long way to 128GB, which will also be the first step over 80GB.

ivan a rom
Sep 11, 2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I really don't think it would be cost effective to include 32GB in a flash based iPod. To echo the previous posts, in a year or two that capacity looks likely....unless you don't mind paying $800+ for 32 Gigs.

Eidorian
Sep 11, 2007, 09:00 PM
16, 32, 64, 128 Gb...

wakerider017
Sep 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
Me thinks that it's a bit more than that, but oh well. I did what I could to answer the question...

LOL! Probably so, but this is a family orientated forum.

ds252
Sep 11, 2007, 09:22 PM

Please also note that the cited 32GB chipset is nowhere close to what's in the iPhone/touch. Go look for a picture of a disection of the iPhone and see the size of those flash chips. Face it, you've got a long way to 128GB, which will also be the first step over 80GB.

Don't they use two flash cards inside of the iPhone and Touch iPod. So couldn't they actually make like a 32 and a 16 for 48GB's?

jonnylink
Sep 11, 2007, 09:26 PM
it seems like a lot of people on here believe that the 32gb drive will be in the iPod Touch sooner than later. However I think you're reaching for the stars ask for 80gb. And by the time they do have 80gb hard drives it probably won't be enough for you if you already can't stand anything less than that.

aethelbert
Sep 11, 2007, 09:58 PM
Don't they use two flash cards inside of the iPhone and Touch iPod. So couldn't they actually make like a 32 and a 16 for 48GB's?
I'm pretty sure that it's a single chip, but it's possible that I'm wrong. I just remember seeing a picture with a single flash chip labeled and circled as "8GB flash memory" in a dissection procedure of an iPhone.

MaddieBrad
Sep 15, 2007, 02:23 PM
The OP is a complete Jerk... :rolleyes:

Jeez man... go away. I have said nothing "jerk worthy"

****EDIT****
Ironic that I am being called a jerk by someone with a "In time out" status.

And also, I never stated to be an authority on this, In fact I stated the exact opposite that I didn't know anything. And when I referred to the size of my CF card i was merely pointing out that flash mem is already close to surpassing that which is inside a touch. And I also didn't know that the memory was only available in X2 multipliers. I learned something new.

If you read my original post I was only bouncing around a concept. Some of you people must just get off on trying to flame, and troll.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/...ve_obsoletism/

iShak
Sep 15, 2007, 02:38 PM
calm down son!

here you go ..

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPod-Touch/130

storage
Sep 15, 2007, 02:39 PM
That SSD would definitely not fit. The flash memory in the iPod touch are two (2 * 4GB or 2 * 8GB) flash chips soldered on a small PCB, while the SSD in the link is a PCB with 12 similar chips.

MaddieBrad
Sep 15, 2007, 02:54 PM
That SSD would definitely not fit. The flash memory in the iPod touch are two (2 * 4GB or 2 * 8GB) flash chips soldered on a small PCB, while the SSD in the link is a PCB with 12 similar chips.

now there are two adult answers to my question. I appreciate the info. Thanks.

B

James L
Sep 15, 2007, 03:06 PM
Jeez man... go away. I have said nothing "jerk worthy"

Well, when you start out a reply with:

couple of years my ass...

...what kind of replies did you expect?

In answer to anyones question regarding seeing larger storage capacity in the Touch...

The prohibitive factor is not the availability of the flash memory (for the most part), it is the cost. Sure from an engineering point of view Apple can do something, but they won't if the end cost of the product is going to be too high. When they can up the memory on the product and keep it within a consumer price range they will do it.

I would say this time in 2008 you will see 32GB, in a 2x16 configuration if the 32GB flash components are still too expensive.

840quadra
Sep 15, 2007, 03:10 PM
Well, when you start out a reply with:

...what kind of replies did you expect?

No kidding!

Nicely said James!

Stuee
Sep 14, 2009, 12:43 AM
It's puzzling to me how nobody involved in this discussion even considered the idea of a hdd based iPod Touch.
Surely people with a large music/video library would be open to the idea of a bulkier Touch if it could offer so much more capacity?

Well I would.

xinzhitan14
Sep 14, 2009, 01:32 AM
It's puzzling to me how nobody involved in this discussion even considered the idea of a hdd based iPod Touch.
Surely people with a large music/video library would be open to the idea of a bulkier Touch if it could offer so much more capacity?

Well I would.

hdd = consume more battery power. then it would be turning into a multimedia version of the classic. hmmm, i wouldnt want a HDD because i know the battery life would only last so long with the likes of wifi, videos, games, apps in use...

greg555
Sep 14, 2009, 01:36 AM
(I type too slow. I am referring to Stuee here when I said "you".) I'm not sure if you realize this is a two year old thread. In any case...

When the rumors of a touchscreen iPod came out I was sure that there would be a thin touch with a small amount of memory and a thicker one with a much bigger hard drive. So I was surprised when they didn't do it and came out with the iPod classic.

After the touch came out there was some discussion about why there was no HD based touch. The two theories I recall were that Steve Jobs likes thin and sleek and that a HD would be too slow (and power hungry) to work in a touch.

Greg