PDA

View Full Version : Converting videos for iPod Touch

superspiffy
Sep 12, 2007, 04:27 AM
So I might as well get ready for this baby by converting my stuff now. Anybody know the resolution and other settings I have to set my videos for the iPod Touch? I use HandBrake or Popcorn.

Malcster
Sep 12, 2007, 06:46 AM
Handbrake 0.9.0 has an iPhone config preset, use that, as they have the same display resolution.

Or.. i use VisualHub, choose the iPhone preset in that and set the quality to Wifi, for a good quality/small file size rip.

Markleshark
Sep 12, 2007, 07:26 AM
In VisualHub the best settings to use are 2-pass High quality. A 700meg episode of House looks great and is down to around 220meg.

Malcster
Sep 12, 2007, 07:56 AM
In VisualHub the best settings to use are 2-pass High quality. A 700meg episode of House looks great and is down to around 220meg.

Aha, interesting thanks, i plumped for Wifi because obviously with the touch were going to run into space issues :) Using Wifi settings on an episode of the mighty boosh was still good quality and only 120(ish) meg an episode.

I managed to get both Boosh series in at under 2 gig, on High each episode was easily 200 meg plus... maybe ill look again

good to know, thanks.

Markleshark
Sep 12, 2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah, if you go into the Advanced settings and change nothing more than sticking it onto 2-pass it looks great. 2-pass greatly reduces the file size... No idea why... I'm sure someone will know.

shoelessone
Sep 12, 2007, 08:11 AM
It's so crazy hearing people talk about the mighty boosh. Are you from the states or the UK?

I live in the states but I love MB but anytime I ever mention it nobody has a clue what I'm talking about.

Markleshark
Sep 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
Have you ever drunk Baileys out of a shoe?

gloss
Sep 12, 2007, 08:14 AM
Yeah, if you go into the Advanced settings and change nothing more than sticking it onto 2-pass it looks great. 2-pass greatly reduces the file size... No idea why... I'm sure someone will know.

Two-pass means that during the first 'pass' of the video the program basically surveys the file and sees which sections of the video require a higher bitrate, and which can be encoded at a lower one. In the second pass, rather than encoding the whole file at a continuous bitrate regardless of image/motion complexity, it will encode variably.

I only learned this a week or two ago when I was reading the VisualHub manual. ^.^

Oh, also, from what I read, h.264 is a much more efficient codec in this regard, and so doing two-pass encoding with it is less necessary. It helps a lot with straight mpeg4 conversions, though.

Malcster
Sep 12, 2007, 08:15 AM
It's so crazy hearing people talk about the mighty boosh. Are you from the states or the UK?

I live in the states but I love MB but anytime I ever mention it nobody has a clue what I'm talking about.

UK.. Mighty Boosh is the greatest :D There filming series 3 right now..

If you like Mighty Boosh be sure to check out Garth Marenghi's Darkplace too.. its awesome.

Link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garth-Marenghis-Darkplace-Matthew-Holness/dp/B000EU1P1Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-6126748-0678821?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1189602861&sr=8-1)

Markleshark
Sep 12, 2007, 08:21 AM
Two-pass means that during the first 'pass' of the video the program basically surveys the file and sees which sections of the video require a higher bitrate, and which can be encoded at a lower one. In the second pass, rather than encoding the whole file at a continuous bitrate regardless of image/motion complexity, it will encode variably.

I only learned this a week or two ago when I was reading the VisualHub manual. ^.^

Oh, also, from what I read, h.264 is a much more efficient codec in this regard, and so doing two-pass encoding with it is less necessary. It helps a lot with straight mpeg4 conversions, though.

There you go you see, everyday is a school day. Thanks for that.

gloss
Sep 12, 2007, 08:25 AM
There you go you see, everyday is a school day. Thanks for that.

Welcome. I just hope I got it right. =)

madmaxmedia
Sep 12, 2007, 08:52 AM
Start with iPhone preset (single-pass H.264, scaled to Touch/iPhone screen). No need for 2-pass with H.264, double the encoding time for minimal increase in quality.

I would then reduce video bitate to 500 kbps or so. 500 still looks great. You can use less but then artifacts start to increase, or you can go higher for max quality, but 500 is a good tradeoff for the Touch. Movies are around 500 to 600 MB and look great.

xJulianx
Sep 12, 2007, 09:15 AM
should any settings me altered as far as height and width of the video goes?

Markleshark
Sep 12, 2007, 01:33 PM
Nope, just use the iPhone size settings. Same sizes. :)

madmaxmedia
Sep 12, 2007, 06:49 PM
Nope, just use the iPhone size settings. Same sizes. :)

The Touch has the same exact screen resolution as the iPhone, so you shouldn't need to change settings.

However, one caveat. I was encoding an old Japanese movie (Sansho the Bailiff) which has an aspect ratio of 1.3:1. When I let HandBrake automatically choose the resolution, it chose 480 x 380 (or somewhere in that neighborhood.) I think it automatically scales to 480 pixels across (which is fine for most movies since the vertical dimension will be under 320 pixels). But that doesn't work if the aspect ratio is closer to TV, because then there will be too many vertical pixels.

Not sure if it was a one-time glitch though, maybe it was. In any case, it was easy for me to scale down a bit (I think it went to 416 x 320).

Even if I encoded at 480 x 380, it would have played fine on the Touch. But I would rather encode at the maximum screen size (but no higher) to maximize image quality at 500 kbps.

Kristijan
Sep 12, 2007, 07:42 PM
Anyone recommend any good Windows software for encoding my TV shows?

-Kristijan

shoelessone
Sep 12, 2007, 09:11 PM
Am I missing something with handbreak? It seems as far as I can tell that handbreak is made for DVD to ______.... Does it work for avi/mpeg (etc) to ____ (iPod Touch for instance)

gloss
Sep 12, 2007, 09:34 PM
Am I missing something with handbreak? It seems as far as I can tell that handbreak is made for DVD to ______.... Does it work for avi/mpeg (etc) to ____ (iPod Touch for instance)

You'll want iSquint/VisualHub for that.

Zwhaler
Sep 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
which do I use on h.264 settings: x264 (h.264 main) or x264 (h.264 ipod)??

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 09:54 PM
HandBrake is my favorite app for converting DVD's