PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Logic Studio

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Sep 12, 2007, 07:35 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple released (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070912/aqw096.html?.v=19) Logic Studio today. Logic Studio features Logic Pro 8, and introduces a new live performace application called MainStage. Logic Studio also includes Soundtrack Pro 2, Apple's professional audio post production software; Studio Instruments, made up of 40 pristine quality instruments; Studio Effects, with 80 professional effect plug-ins; a vast Studio Sound Library; and a powerful set of production utilities.
From the fun and intuitive GarageBand to the all new Logic Studio, there's never been a better time to be a musician on the Mac," said Rob Schoeben, Apple's vice president of Applications Product Marketing. "For less than $500, Logic Studio transforms the Mac into the most powerful musical instrument in the world."

Logic Studio is available now for $499.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/12/apple-releases-logic-studio/)

lord patton
Sep 12, 2007, 07:46 AM
500 bucks! wow!

I wonder if they'll offer a lite version for $200, or bundle it with any hardware.

Flowbee
Sep 12, 2007, 07:47 AM
I can't wait to check out MainStage. We're there any rumors of a new music app that I missed?

Butters
Sep 12, 2007, 07:49 AM
This is AWESOME :D

so unexpected! and I've been waiting for this for so long :)

plus $500!!
it'll probably only be around £300-£400 then hopefully when it arrives in the UK store :)

redAPPLE
Sep 12, 2007, 07:50 AM
wasn't soundtrack part of final cut studio once?

i wonder why separate it?

oscarfrancis
Sep 12, 2007, 07:52 AM
Oh gosh... I have been waiting for this since I bought logic pro 7 a year ago, really. Yay :D

[edit] Looks like all the effects and instruments are the same as in logic pro 7 really... just a rework of the application. Which is no bad thing, since that's what it really needed.

InLikeALion
Sep 12, 2007, 07:53 AM

It still is. I think its very smart/generous of Apple to include it in both suites. Wow! There was no rumbling about this at all! This is exciting to me as a musician who has never tried logic, and should be sweet music to the ears of all the posters who cry out about Logic 7's neglect every time something else (hardware or software) is released.

Nice surprise Apple!

GreenFreaK
Sep 12, 2007, 07:55 AM
Good call on me waiting to buy Logic Pro 7. I was just going to buy it last month when I heard a rumor floating around that Logic would finally be updated. I'm been using Logic since 4.7, waaaay back when this was eMagic software inthe late 90's. This is great news and I'm looking forward to finally moving my production to my macbook pro. (I've been using Logic 5.5 on my PC because I haven't had the cash to buy the newer versions for mac).

K Wal
Sep 12, 2007, 08:00 AM
This is cool I've been thinking about getting MOTU for effects when I'm mixing live sound but now I'll have to see if this would work for my needs.

opuslab
Sep 12, 2007, 08:07 AM
I wonder if they got rid of the XSKey...

amac4me
Sep 12, 2007, 08:07 AM
Interesting move by Apple as they now have a Studio Suite for music editing that can now go hand-in-hand with their video editing suite Final Cut Studio

Cromulent
Sep 12, 2007, 08:08 AM
Wow Apple pulled all the stops out for this release. I'll be interested to hear what the feedback is on this product.

Mr Ikasu
Sep 12, 2007, 08:09 AM
500 bucks! wow!

I wonder if they'll offer a lite version for $200, or bundle it with any hardware.

$199 for the new Logic Express 8 in the US store.

Pretty sweet deal. I use Express 7 at the moment and may just upgrade to the whole Pro 8 package. MainStage looks useful for some of what I'd like to have a go at as well.

How much was Logic 7 Pro? I seem to remember it being quite a bit more expensive.

Also, does this still have that USB key thing that was on Pro 7 (I think ?)

[edit]
XSKey-free operation
A simple serial number replaces the USB dongle and lets you make music without the hassle of extraneous hardware.

(http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro)

Loge
Sep 12, 2007, 08:10 AM
The upgrade price is $199 from logic Pro. No XSKey Haven't seen UK pricing yet.

Logic Express 8 is here too, $199 or $99 upgrade.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=64C86DD3&nplm=MA806LL/A

ShavenYak
Sep 12, 2007, 08:11 AM
Wow, this is seriously cool. It's a perfect suite of apps for musicians who have outgrown GarageBand. I don't think the price is at all bad... the Production Effects look comparable to iZotope's Ozone which retails for $249. Guitar Amp Pro is almost comparable to the $399 Amplitube. So those two alone are worth the price of the bundle - it's like getting Logic, Soundtrack, MainStage (this might just get me to carry the MacBook out to gigs) and all the Jam Packs for free with the purchase of a couple effect bundles!

Did anyone notice what song this chord chart is (found on the Logic Pro page)? :D
http://images.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/images/writing_songwriting20070828.gif

Plumbstone
Sep 12, 2007, 08:11 AM
So this is the first really major overhaul of logic since emagic was bought by Apple and it looks like they have been really listening to folks requests. Multitake recording sorted out, sample acurrate editing in the arrange, stretching audio, and the GUI has had a complete overhaul. Also there are a host of new compose to picture functions which should be handy too.

So the only problem I now have is that it is nowhere to be found on the UK store....

longofest
Sep 12, 2007, 08:12 AM
Update: Apple also announced a recent purchaser program. Those who purchased Logic 7 on or after August 1, 2007 are eligible for a free upgrade to Logic Studio ($9.95 shipping and handling).

lord patton
Sep 12, 2007, 08:17 AM
Did anyone notice what song this chord chart is (found on the Logic Pro page)? :D
http://images.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/images/writing_songwriting20070828.gif

F®E3B1®D!!!!!11!!1!!11!

Loge
Sep 12, 2007, 08:18 AM
Looking at system reqts,

Available disk space:

7GB to install all applications and required content

Additional 39GB to install all optional content (large content packages can be installed on separate disk):

That is some monster! Good that you can put the additional content on a separate drive.

opuslab
Sep 12, 2007, 08:19 AM

They did! Just found it. Serial number authorization. No more USB dongle!

Oirectine
Sep 12, 2007, 08:20 AM
I've been waiting SO LONG for this... *crosses fingers* Before I check out the details, I pray to the Mac Gods that Steve has smiled upon Logic and made it's UI more "Mac-like"...

Sdashiki
Sep 12, 2007, 08:21 AM

Batten down the hatches mates!

InLikeALion
Sep 12, 2007, 08:23 AM
The song in the video tutorials sounds so much like Death Cab's "Brothers on a Hotel Bed." Anyone else notice that?

Cromulent
Sep 12, 2007, 08:23 AM
I've been waiting SO LONG for this... *crosses fingers* Before I check out the details, I pray to the Mac Gods that Steve has smiled upon Logic and made it's UI more "Mac-like"...

He has :). It looks like it will fit right into Leopard.

Thataboy
Sep 12, 2007, 08:24 AM
Am i reading right that all five jam packs are included in the "Studio Sound Library"???

$500?????????? $200 upgrade????????

This is absolutely.

****ing.

unreal.

There has to be a catch. I simply don't believe this. It's a hoax :)

Groovey
Sep 12, 2007, 08:25 AM
They just got my money. Apple. Rocks. Truly.

rockstarjoe
Sep 12, 2007, 08:26 AM
I'm a Pro Tools user but I have been interested in checking out Logic for a while now. This new version looks pretty cool!

InLikeALion
Sep 12, 2007, 08:26 AM
He has :). It looks like it will fit right into Leopard.

Seems to me from the vids and pics that the whole interface is vector based for Leopard. Thats nice - it would be great if all their applications released this past year, like FCS, were already vector based in preparation for Leopard's release, instead of having to wait on updates to them.

kaeckisthename
Sep 12, 2007, 08:29 AM
I am definitely getting this!

rsoerensen
Great news!

Let's hope that the announcement of this major pro software update is a sign that we might see pro hardware updates in the end-of-september/oktober.. It seems kind of reasonable, since August was all about the consumer iMac being updated and September the iPods took the scene. Apple might want to bring their best hardware to go along with their best operating system being introduced in November.

So yeah, a bit of topic, but I'm hoping for updated Mac Pros and even more new ACDs, which are both in need of an upgrade!

chabig
Am i reading right that all five jam packs are included in the "Studio Sound Library"???
I noticed that too. The 5 Jam Packs would cost $500 alone, but now you get them and all the rest for the same price!

Bow Rekk
Sep 12, 2007, 08:34 AM
When is it going to be released in the UK? I can't find it in the UK store...

Oirectine
Sep 12, 2007, 08:36 AM

$500?????????? $200 upgrade????????

This is absolutely.

****ing.

unreal.

There has to be a catch. I simply don't believe this. It's a hoax :)

Yeah this is about as good as it gets, IMO! Almost 50 GB worth of sounds, synths, effects, and professional applications for 500 bucks! Who could ask for more?

Thataboy
Sep 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG ETC

This is like Apple releasing a quad core Mac Pro for $299. They are GIVING this away. Back in eMagic days when every software and effect was bought separately... god this package probably would have cost over $10,000.

Only $99 upgrade with the iPhone early adopter tax rebate :) I'd pay $99 just to get rid of that bloody buggery XSKey.

LET'S ALL HAVE AN XSKEY BURNING PARTY! :D

Cromulent
Sep 12, 2007, 08:37 AM
When is it going to be released in the UK? I can't find it in the UK store...

The UK site normally takes about 12 - 24 hours to update after a big change on the US site.

milo
Sep 12, 2007, 08:39 AM
Great to finally see this, users have been waiting YEARS for this. There are some big questions about compatibility and features, definitely some concern that functions may be missing, and the new interface will be controversial.

Nice to see STP2 included, buggy as it may be. It made no sense to not sell it any more. I totally called them either rolling the STP features into logic (the editing window seems very similar) or just including the app. It only makes sense since there are probably at least as many Logic users who would use it as video guys.

kingnimrod
Sep 12, 2007, 08:47 AM
I was just about to buy the upgrade from 6 to 7 the other night, but they didn't have any copies in the Apple Store. phew!!!

Looking forward to cutting the upgrade price in half with my iPhone credit.

For those of you waiting to check out Logic, now is the time. I always hated ProTools and while Logic was challenging to learn, I liked it much better.

can't wait to put it on my Quad!!!

Yebot
Sep 12, 2007, 08:48 AM
Its like the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I might cry.

:: sniff ::

Loge
Sep 12, 2007, 08:53 AM
Update: Apple also announced a recent purchaser program. Those who purchased Logic 7 on or after August 1, 2007 are eligible for a free upgrade to Logic Studio ($9.95 shipping and handling).

Here's hoping no-one went out and bought all 5 jam packs last week. :eek:

ANTMUZ
Sep 12, 2007, 08:55 AM
I've been informed the UK price is £319 for new purchase. Details on upgrade/education discounts not available.

Although I guess the higher education discounts specifically are not as attractive as before - almost half price I think Logic Pro 7 was.

InLikeALion
Sep 12, 2007, 08:57 AM
Can anyone give a rundown between Logic Express and Logic Pro? I have only recorded with Pro Tools in studio, and Garageband at home and I'm not familiar with Logic. But now I'm vary interested and would like to know the feature differences. It's obvious Express doesn't come with the other programs of Logic Suite, but between the two Logic's what are the differences?

I wish Apple had a page like Adobe for the new Creative Suites to explain the feature sets of each.

odinsride
Sep 12, 2007, 08:59 AM
Does anyone know if this would be compatible with an Mbox2?

Teddy's
Sep 12, 2007, 09:01 AM
Haven't seen anything like this thread lately. Now I have a good adornment for my stuffed animal zoo: my XSKey.

Good Price, buying now :rolleyes:

Bow Rekk
Sep 12, 2007, 09:04 AM
Logic pro 7 was £278.48.

It would be interesting to know what the upgrade price is though in the UK.

Yebot
Sep 12, 2007, 09:05 AM
Can anyone give a rundown between Logic Express and Logic Pro? I have only recorded with Pro Tools in studio, and Garageband at home and I'm not familiar with Logic. But now I'm vary interested and would like to know the feature differences. It's obvious Express doesn't come with the other programs of Logic Suite, but between the two Logic's what are the differences?

I wish Apple had a page like Adobe for the new Creative Suites to explain the feature sets of each.

You can do ALOT with Logic Express. I've been using LE7 for a while. There are some pro features that they leave out. Off the top of my head here are some of them ...

- You are limited to 32 tracks in a session. Not terrible.
- You can't do any sidechain routing/linking with your plugins. This isn't a big deal but a lot of electronic musicians do this kind of stuff.
- You don't have access to create your own EXS24 instruments.
- You can't use the beat mapper.

^ This is a rough list off the top of my head and it only applies to version 7. Some of what they're touting in version 8 seems to make Express even more attractive...

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/specs/

Loge
Sep 12, 2007, 09:08 AM
Logic pro 7 was £278.48.

It would be interesting to know what the upgrade price is though in the UK.

Was that a special price or something? The full price (not upgrade) for Logic Pro 7 was £699.

Bow Rekk
Sep 12, 2007, 09:09 AM
Was that a special price or something? The full price (not upgrade) for Logic Pro 7 was £699.

That was the higher education price.

Saz
Sep 12, 2007, 09:11 AM
Is mainstage Apples answer to Ableton Live?

Yebot
Sep 12, 2007, 09:37 AM

According to the Pro specs the answer is yes ...

"Support for Apple Core Audio and Digidesign DAE/TDM hardware"

This feature is not listed on the Logic Express specs however.

gusapple
Sep 12, 2007, 09:46 AM
Apple seemes like they are being way nice, cool!

milo
Sep 12, 2007, 09:48 AM
According to the Pro specs the answer is yes ...

"Support for Apple Core Audio and Digidesign DAE/TDM hardware"

This feature is not listed on the Logic Express specs however.

But the mbox isn't even TDM, it just uses digi's core audio driver like any other audio interface. It will definitely work, any sound card or firewire/usb box with proper drivers has always worked with Logic.

Logic777
Sep 12, 2007, 10:01 AM
Two weeks or so ago (right after getting my new iMac), I bought the Logic Pro 7 upgrade from Logic 5 Platinum at my local Apple store for $299. Had I waited, I would have been able to do so for $199? I understand that there is a free upgrade for those that purchased Logic Pro 7 on or after August 1, 2007 but I am still losing $100, right?

If someone purchased Logic Pro 7 for $999 on or after August 1, 2007, they get a free upgrade but they also paid $500 more than it now costs? I feel like I am missing something here..... (glad all I did was upgrade from 5 to 7)

I'm not going to lose sleep over $100 bucks on this but it looks like not until Spetember 26th will I be able to get the "free" upgrade while the full versions and upgrades are available now.

quigleybc
Sep 12, 2007, 10:12 AM
I'm freakin out!!!

I've been using 7 for sooo friggin long....ARRRRRRGHHH W0000ttt

holy crap

slash the price in half, make it better, and add Mainstage, STP and others....ya....i'm freaking out....

this is so great

:):):):eek:

vixapphire
Sep 12, 2007, 10:13 AM
here i've spent a few weekends trying to get my audio inputs environment set up properly in 7 after replacing my mixer with a bunch of motu interfaces, and along comes 8 and takes care of everything automatically... i've just been robbed of the last several weekends of my life! happily so, as it turns out.

anyone know whether the upgrade is available to pick up at retail, or is it thru the apple site only thus far?

passerby1234
Sep 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!
I have spent over $2000 on all of the software that apple is practically giving away for $499 now.
I'm all for software development and paying my share to make that happen but for someone who has bought logic pro, all jam packs, soundtrack pro, this is a huge slap in the face to be asked to pay another $200 to upgrade to software I already have just to get Logic 8, when somebody can pay $300 more to have everything I have spent so much on and more!

There is nothing that makes this ok. Its pure greediness on Apple's part. First iPhone and now this, screwing over its loyal customers to reel in new ones.

I am one step closer to saying goodbye to apple forever.

majordude
Sep 12, 2007, 10:16 AM

Thank god. I hate those things.

We have a program at work that is very old (but still the best at what it does) and uses a parallel printer port (or whatever it was called back in the 90's).

I defy you to find any modern computer with one of those things installed!

We have to buy old machines off eBay when our computers die.

Death to dongles! :mad:

Foxglove9
Sep 12, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm been using Logic since 4.7, waaaay back when this was eMagic software inthe late 90's.

Same here. Maybe finally time for me to upgrade!!

quigleybc
Sep 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
Is mainstage Apples answer to Ableton Live?

a very very good question.

somehow I doubt it....let's just hope it's not a fancier version of that Magic Garageband rubbish.

EggyToast
Sep 12, 2007, 10:22 AM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!
I have spent over $2000 on all of the software that apple is practically giving away for $499 now.
I'm all for software development and paying my share to make that happen but for someone who has bought logic pro, all jam packs, soundtrack pro, this is a huge slap in the face to be asked to pay another $200 to upgrade to software I already have just to get Logic 8, when somebody can pay $300 more to have everything I have spent so much on and more!

There is nothing that makes this ok. Its pure greediness on Apple's part. First iPhone and now this, screwing over its loyal customers to reel in new ones.

Yeah, they definitely should have charged twice as much for this software, so that your old purchases would be more "equivalent." The upgrade prices should've also been full-price.

:confused:

So don't upgrade. Or do upgrade, and be happy that the software you use regularly is now available cheaply. My computers in the 90s were thousands of dollars for what are, nowadays, junk in a landfill.

k2k koos
Sep 12, 2007, 10:22 AM
Finally, it took time, but here it is.

At first glance, it looks like a great new version, and glad to gain a USB port by loosing the XS key, although I liked it's robust copy protection scheme..

Single window is something I'm not too sure of, I do like to be able to split up the arrange and mixer views for instance, but I'm sure I'll get used to this. I wondered what happened to our 'environment', the touch tracks, the ability to make your own arpeggiator etc. The current info available on Apple's site does not mention those features. it seems to have focussed on audio recording, and software instruments. I am hoping that the midi editing power that logic used to have, is still present. :apple:

Loge
Sep 12, 2007, 10:23 AM
New user manual is here - 1030 pages of light reading. :)

http://www.apple.com/support/logicpro/

Thataboy
Sep 12, 2007, 10:25 AM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

You're taking the piss, right? Because if not.... just, wow.

Kernow
Sep 12, 2007, 10:26 AM
Absolutely fantastic :)

Been waiting for this for such a long time. Now hurry up and get the UK pricing up...

Single window is something I'm not too sure of, I do like to be able to split up the arrange and mixer views for instance, but I'm sure I'll get used to this. I wondered what happened to our 'environment', the touch tracks, the ability to make your own arpeggiator etc. The current info available on Apple's site does not mention those features. it seems to have focussed on audio recording, and software instruments. I am hoping that the midi editing power that logic used to have, is still present. :apple:

Exactly my thoughts - just spent the last 10 minutes scrutinising the screenshots to find any trace of the Environment. Going to have a rummage through the manual posted above.

passerby1234
Sep 12, 2007, 10:28 AM
not at all. i guess someone needs to explain to me why this is ok because definitely don't get it.

You're taking the piss, right? Because if not.... just, wow.

Alpinism
Sep 12, 2007, 10:29 AM
yay, now GO UPDATE THE MAC PRO ALREADY.

Although i am a FCS user and not a musician, I can feel the pain when suddently Apple abandoned us, the pros (their core customers from day 1) and choose to support the teeny boopers with their ipods, iphone, icar, itoaster, iradio.

Bow Rekk
Sep 12, 2007, 10:31 AM
I am told the environment is still there.

quigleybc
Apple is kicking some serious booty right now.

Bringing down the price of the iPhone, (and caving in to the early adopters)

Bringing out the touch as a big F you to AT&T (for people like me that will never get an iPhone cuz Canada is F'd up with it's data plans)

-Slashing the price of their pro audio software....i mean 500 beans??? that's so great, hopefully this will get these other plug in companies to come down to earth....the Pro Tools Plugs will always be obscenely over priced.

I hope companies like Native Instruments, Spectrasonics, etc etc the list goes on....realizes that these are just software plugs.....not hardware, and paying 600 bucks for a stupid Synth, or Sampler is absurd.

GO APPLE

I will follow.......:apple::cool:

Kernow
Looks like the environment is still there

ChrisA
Sep 12, 2007, 10:33 AM
First iPhone and now this, screwing over its loyal customers to reel in new ones.

Lowering prices and making stuff better than it was? Inexcusable! if you ask me it's "un-American."

What if say Chrysler made a 50mpg SUV and sold it for $5K. I'd be so upset with them I'd never buy another car.
And I head plans at Sony to sell CDs at $4 MSRP. If those jerks do that I'll never buy another CD. What's with these greedy companies why can't they they just sit on their buts and sell the same old stuff at inflated prices? When I was your age nobody got off easy we all had to work are buts off and pay and arm and a leg for crap Hell I paid $600 for a 10Mb disk drive. Now 500GB drives are 1/6th that. I'm never going to buy another computer.....

TheSpaz
Sep 12, 2007, 10:41 AM
I just ordered my Logic Express 8 upgrade... Can't wait for it to come!

InLikeALion
Sep 12, 2007, 10:41 AM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

Yeah, they're GREEDY to lower prices! If they were truly generous, they would raise the price and make it an upgrade path for only the people who had bought all the items seperately!!!

(please read with extreme, histrionic sarcasm)

illumin8
Sep 12, 2007, 10:42 AM

Hey, you agreed to pay that price for the software, and you've gotten years of great use out of it. 5 years ago I paid $35,000 for a luxury car that had climate control in it. Now, even a $15,000 Ford piece of junk has that feature. Do I complain that the car companies are "screwing over their loyal customers?"

Grow up. You buy something that is worth the amount of money at the time of purchase. Don't go complaining that 2 years later you can buy something for 25% of the price that does more. That's technology and progress for you.

quigleybc
Sep 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
not at all. i guess someone needs to explain to me why this is ok because definitely don't get it.

it is really really ok...it is better than ok, it is fan ***** tastic.

Your timing and spending habits may be a bit un-ok...

but, if you purchased all that software in last few months, i feel for ya....it would be a rough thing to swallow...

mrmma
Sep 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
Academic pricing is $149. That's the cost of a few Garageband jam packs and QT pro. I'll just get Logic Studio that comes with everything. I'm going to have to stock up on software before I graduate.

lord patton
Sep 12, 2007, 10:49 AM
Why'd the price drop?

Is this a beautiful result of Apple's marketshare increasing? Perhaps covering their costs is easier now that there are so many more (potential) customers.

Not to mention that it's only recently (since Intel, really) that portable Macs can run this program well.

Or is it just re-positioning their product based on the competition?

DMann
Sep 12, 2007, 10:50 AM

Hooray!!!!!

craigery
Sep 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
Good perspective.

Lowering prices and making stuff better than it was? Inexcusable! if you ask me it's "un-American."

What if say Chrysler made a 50mpg SUV and sold it for $5K. I'd be so upset with them I'd never buy another car.
And I head plans at Sony to sell CDs at $4 MSRP. If those jerks do that I'll never buy another CD. What's with these greedy companies why can't they they just sit on their buts and sell the same old stuff at inflated prices? When I was your age nobody got off easy we all had to work are buts off and pay and arm and a leg for crap Hell I paid $600 for a 10Mb disk drive. Now 500GB drives are 1/6th that. I'm never going to buy another computer.....

AdeFowler
Sep 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!
I have spent over $2000 on all of the software that apple is practically giving away for $499 now. --/ snip /-- I am one step closer to saying goodbye to apple forever.

And you signed up today to say that? Troll :mad:

Cromulent
Sep 12, 2007, 10:56 AM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

I'll be polite I promise. The value of a product is determined not just by the price the company sets but by the amount the customer is willing to spend. So to you that was worth $2000 as that is what you agreed to pay. Nothing has changed the fact that you thought that was worth $2000 when you bought that software.

Seriously even Communists don't have such a stupid idea of economics than some of the people on this forum. OMG a company lowered prices, they must be trying to screw their customers over!

Read with sarcasm.

mandoman
Sep 12, 2007, 10:56 AM
Woot! No more dongle and only $500. I am SO buying this!

Logic's price is finally in line and competative
with other sequencers on the market. As a MOTU Digital Performer
user, I've always wanted to try Logic, but not at $1000 - ouch.
At $500, this is a no brainer!

Released just in time - My new 2.4/7200 rpm/Matte MBP arrives
tomorrow!

Can I get a hell yeah?!? :D

Mandoman

Edit: Change "I'm so buying this" to ORDERED! Can't wait!

QuarterSwede
Sep 12, 2007, 10:58 AM
I've always been a DP users as well but this offering looks amazing at $500. I totally agree mandoman.

Darkroom
Sep 12, 2007, 11:02 AM
this is really great news! and a refreshing post that has nothing to do with the iPhone/iPod... i'm shocked with the dramatic price drop... this will definitely help some musicians who don't have a lot of money... and with no more USB Dongle, it will definitely help some musicians with no money ;)

FunkyChicken
Sep 12, 2007, 11:03 AM
Anyonw knows whether the $199 upgrade is compatible with previous academic versions of LP?

'Cos I know that the upgrade to Final Cut Studio is NOT compatible with previous academic of Final Cut.

InLikeALion
Sep 12, 2007, 11:09 AM
Anyonw knows whether the $199 upgrade is compatible with previous academic versions of LP?

'Cos I know that the upgrade to Final Cut Studio is NOT compatible with previous academic of Final Cut.

You DO know that? I didn't. My old boss started out as a highschool teacher and had academic software. When he moved on and started a real business, he got Pro upgrades to FCS1 and Adobe's CS2. I assumed from Academic FCS1 to 2 it would be the same. Are you SURE it doesn't?

I assumed it would work for LP8, too.

rockinrocker
Sep 12, 2007, 11:17 AM
it looks like mainstage is definitely not apples answer to ableton. from what i can tell it's just an interface to play midi instruments live, not a loop based player/recorder deal.

this single window business is a deal breaker for me. i mean, what the heck did i buy that second monitor for, anyway? i'm gonna have to stick to cubase and ableton for now (plus komplete 4 and reason, of course :cool:)

getting rid if the friggen dongle is cool though....

Silencio
Sep 12, 2007, 11:20 AM
Why'd the price drop?

Is this a beautiful result of Apple's marketshare increasing? Perhaps covering their costs is easier now that there are so many more (potential) customers.

Not to mention that it's only recently (since Intel, really) that portable Macs can run this program well.

Or is it just re-positioning their product based on the competition?

It's simple, really: pro apps drive sales of Apple's high-end computers. That was one of the main motivations behind the development of Aperture. The more aggressively Apple prices their pro software, the more they will get those customers to invest in Mac Pros and 30" Cinema Displays.

The Logic 8 updates look amazing. Too bad I'm not much of a musician -- I've dabbled in Logic Express 7 before at friends' houses/studios, but I'm tempted to get Express 8.

Now Apple needs an update for Final Cut Express.

Kernow
Sep 12, 2007, 11:21 AM
this single window business is a deal breaker for me. i mean, what the heck did i buy that second monitor for, anyway? i'm gonna have to stick to cubase and ableton for now (plus komplete 4 and reason, of course :cool:)

Single window is an option only - you can open all other windows/areas/editors within the main arrange window if you want, but you do not have too. All other windows can also be opened as separate windows.

Darkroom
Sep 12, 2007, 11:21 AM
it looks like mainstage is definitely not apples answer to ableton. from what i can tell it's just an interface to play midi instruments live, not a loop based player/recorder deal.

you could just sell your second display, use that money to buy Logic Studio, and have a more simplified working environment...

passerby1234
Sep 12, 2007, 11:26 AM
so why was everybody so upset about the iphone?

i paid $500 for jam packs in the past few months. now you can have all of those jam packs AND logic pro 8, and sountrack pro, for the same price.

iphone saw a drop of $200.

this simply doesn't compare.

Foxglove9
Sep 12, 2007, 11:27 AM
Looks like Logic Express now has the full EXS24 sampler (editing/user samples), or am I wrong?

rockinrocker
Sep 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
Single window is an option only - you can open all other windows/areas/editors within the main arrange window if you want, but you do not have too. All other windows can also be opened as separate windows.

aaaaahhh, well that's not such a bad deal then. i 'spose that'd help going back and forth from the desktop to the laptop.

scottlinux
Sep 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
This is fantastic. Can't wait to see reviews about the changes under the hood.

La-d-da
Sep 12, 2007, 11:34 AM
As a MOTU user since 1990, I have never been tempted by Logic..... until now.

InLikeALion
You are NOT one step closer to leaving Apple forever. You are willing to respend way more than that $2000 to get a new windows machine and all your software in PC equivalents? yeah right. That is not smart money.

But if you DO leave Apple, can you ship my your gear and software? I'm poor and would REALLY appreciate it. Kinda like I appreciate the recent price-drops.

Thataboy

i paid $500 for jam packs in the past few months. now you can have all of those jam packs AND logic pro 8, and sountrack pro, for the same price.

You're right, it doesn't compare. People were upset about the iPhone price drop because it happened so soon after the product's release, thereby making it seem like Apple was fleecing the loyal early adopters (not that I entirely agree with that).

Logic 7 has been around for years. The Jam Packs have been around for years (and from what I can tell, the only new Jam Pack, Voices, isn't included with Logic Studio). Soundtrack 2 has been around for a long time. They didn't fleece early adopters.

So you're right... the situations are entirely different, in that you have no leg to stand on with your complaint. Anyway, reviewing your license agreements, but I think you could uninstall your Jam Packs and sell the original DVDs/ with their licenses on eBay. Use the proceeds to buy Logic Studio and maybe a Xanax prescription :)

mashinhead
Sep 12, 2007, 11:36 AM
The upgrade price is $199 from logic Pro. No XSKey Haven't seen UK pricing yet.

Logic Express 8 is here too, $199 or $99 upgrade.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=64C86DD3&nplm=MA806LL/A

theres no xs key?! meaning no usb dongle? where does it say that? i couldn't imagine them doing that.

BobbyDigital
Sep 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
This is the best news I've heard in a long time!

I am originally a ProTools user, and I still love it, but in the past few months, I've been learning MOTU's Digital Performer for composing music for film and television... I've always wanted to give Logic a shot, looks like now is a good time for that!

Does anyone here have experience writing music to video with Logic? If so, do you know how it compares with DP5?

Kernow
Sep 12, 2007, 11:40 AM
theres no xs key?! meaning no usb dongle? where does it say that? i couldn't imagine them doing that.

Says it here (http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/):)

passerby1234
Sep 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
ok, i get it.
wrong place to bring up any issues with apple.
got what most of what was said. i am happy with a price drop in logic too, but still have issues with the Jam packs being given away, when somebody could have just spent $500 on them yesterday.

thanks for the feedback though.
not sure why people felt it necessary to personally attack me? i didn't attack anyone. my issues were with Apple, not anyone on here

FunkyChicken
Sep 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
You DO know that? I didn't. My old boss started out as a highschool teacher and had academic software. When he moved on and started a real business, he got Pro upgrades to FCS1 and Adobe's CS2. I assumed from Academic FCS1 to 2 it would be the same. Are you SURE it doesn't?

I assumed it would work for LP8, too.

On the online Apple Store, if you click on Final Cut Studio 2, it takes you to the purchasing page, and in red right after the description of the product, you find this in red: "Note: The upgrade software is not compatible with the Academic versions of this software."

Of course, I just noticed that it's NOT on the U.S. online store, only on the Canadian online store. *&^%$#! Guess that's what us Canadians get for being second-class citizens....:mad:

Just noticed that it IS on the U.S. site...in real tiny print at the bottom: " The upgrade version requires a valid serial number from a commercial version of Final Cut Studio, Production Suite, or Final Cut Pro 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Academic and not-for-resale versions are not eligible for this upgrade."

AnalyzeThis
Sep 12, 2007, 11:50 AM
It is unbelievable and probably the best Christmas gift you ever would get from Apple. Basically, Logic Pro is free when you subtract value of the included goodies.
No more dongle.
I got mine at the Apple store today. They did not have it on display, but found a "Santa box" with it in the back room.

Thanks Apple I do appreciate it very much and Merry Christmas everyone :)

Cromulent
Sep 12, 2007, 11:52 AM

Except the Jam Packs have been around for god knows how long. Do not try to compare things which are completely different to each other.

smilinggoat
Sep 12, 2007, 11:52 AM

I just did a quick search of the manual (http://www.apple.com/support/logicpro/) and you can open as many windows as you like, and place whatever you like in them.

Personally, I use Ableton Live 5 for live performances with my band (http://www.myspace.com/thejeanmarie) but looking at the modularity of setting it up Mainstage in videos gets me very excited. It seems like you're able to route MIDI and audio in a way similar to Logic's environment, which will save me some real headaches I'm having with Live.

I just placed my order, and man I am so excited to use it, I'm already reading the manual so I can devour it even more efficiently when it arrives.

I'm currently a Logic 7 Express user, and I've been waiting for 8 to come out to purchase Logic Pro for literally YEARS. 7 Express has been good enough, and while the lack of new virtual instruments in 8 is a little disappointing, the audio editing (multiple takes!!!! DP's pattent must've expired, lol) advancements are thrilling!

milo
Sep 12, 2007, 11:53 AM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

If you just bought it, you get a free upgrade, anyone who bought after August 1 gets one. And you can't buy STP, it's only bundled with logic or FCS. You don't expect us to believe that you spent a grand on FC studio just to get soundtrack?

milo
Sep 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
Single window is something I'm not too sure of, I do like to be able to split up the arrange and mixer views for instance, but I'm sure I'll get used to this.

The manual is online, obviously way more info than apple's pages.

You can still split up the windows, the single window is just the default view. They still have screensets too.

this single window business is a deal breaker for me. i mean, what the heck did i buy that second monitor for, anyway?

As above, single window is just one option, you can still move the individual panes wherever you want.

Gm7Cadd9
Sep 12, 2007, 11:55 AM
Wow, this is seriously cool. It's a perfect suite of apps for musicians who have outgrown GarageBand. I don't think the price is at all bad... the Production Effects look comparable to iZotope's Ozone which retails for $249. Guitar Amp Pro is almost comparable to the $399 Amplitube. So those two alone are worth the price of the bundle - it's like getting Logic, Soundtrack, MainStage (this might just get me to carry the MacBook out to gigs) and all the Jam Packs for free with the purchase of a couple effect bundles!

FREEBIRD! nice easter egg!

marvingaye
Sep 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
Do they sell the $299 Logic Express to Logic Studio upgrade in the retail store? How do they check that you're a licensed Express user? Does the installer ask for the Logic Express DVD or something?

uv23
Sep 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
Hilarious. I just bought an upgrade to Logic Pro 7. Figures. I can't believe the price drop.

milo
Sep 12, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hilarious. I just bought an upgrade to Logic Pro 7. Figures. I can't believe the price drop.

If you bought after august first you should be eligible for a free upgrade.

mashinhead
Sep 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
Academic pricing is $149. That's the cost of a few Garageband jam packs and QT pro. I'll just get Logic Studio that comes with everything. I'm going to have to stock up on software before I graduate.

you sure about that. you sure it's not logic express pricing. i saw the academic pricing as $449

AdeFowler
Sep 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
not sure why people felt it necessary to personally attack me? i didn't attack anyone. my issues were with Apple, not anyone on here
Sorry :p Welcome to MacRumors - don't be a stranger ;)

uv23
Sep 12, 2007, 12:04 PM
I just noticed there is a free upgrade for people who purchased Logic Pro after Aug 1. Hopefully that includes upgrade purchases. So far there's just a placeholder page.

belovedmonster
Sep 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
Guitar Amp Pro is almost comparable to the $399 Amplitube.

The sound samples of Guitar Amp Pro I heard did nothing to wow me as a Line 6 Pod user, and Line 6 is hardly the pinnacle of guitar tone.

Logic777
I just noticed there is a free upgrade for people who purchased Logic Pro after Aug 1. Hopefully that includes upgrade purchases. So far there's just a placeholder page.

As I posted earlier, I am in the same boat. I just got my 7.2 upgrade from 5 two and a half weeks ago. I am not so concerned about it costing me $100 more than if I had waited a couple of weeks.... I am more concerned that the free upgrade will be available for those that "upgraded" to 7.2 and I am also a bit upset that we have to wait until 9/26/07 for more info on getting the free upgrade.

AnalyzeThis
It would not be just a still (retail), but rubbery if Apple would sell academic for $249.

I do not see how they would do such a thing with new content arrangement.

But it is possible in a year or two it could be only 1/2 price of retail.

uraniumwilly
Sep 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
Aside from being sympathetic to my recently disgruntled iPhone buyer friend, with this release I can no longer complain about Apple.

Or can I? :apple:

joelw87
Sep 12, 2007, 12:18 PM
this sucks, I got fed up of waiting for logic 8, so i bought cubase 4 last week!

I am willing to sell cubase for logic 8 if you can tell me one thing...

i squence alot of drums in cubase, and i use the drum map to input my own beats. can i do this in logic? I have tried in the past and could not find anything to do with a drum map in logic?

any1 know?

cheers, Joel.

miketcool
Sep 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
<still unconscious from initial shock>

CmdrLaForge
Sep 12, 2007, 12:22 PM

It still is. Soundtrack is part of both Studios.

TheSpaz
Sep 12, 2007, 12:30 PM
I paid $299 for the full version of Logic Express 7. Now I'm paying $99 more to upgrade to Logic Express 8 while the person buying Logic Express 8 can buy the full version for $199 while I paid a total of $398 for it. How does that make sense. This should be a FREE upgrade from previous owners rather than making us spend twice the money that new-comers have to spend. LAME! I still can't wait to get my version though... the new features look ROCKIN! So, I can't really complain too much.

Mgkwho
Sep 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
Recent purchasing...haha...I guess Apple's really out to appease everybody.

I just hope they keep this up!

-=|Mgkwho

TheSpaz
Sep 12, 2007, 12:35 PM
this sucks, I got fed up of waiting for logic 8, so i bought cubase 4 last week!

i squence alot of drums in cubase, and i use the drum map to input my own beats. can i do this in logic? I have tried in the past and could not find anything to do with a drum map in logic?

any1 know?

cheers, Joel.

Are you talking about the midi editor? I use custom drumming in my Logic projects that come directly from my Electronic drum kit that is mapped to Logic and input via midi to usb adapter. Quite excellent if you ask me.

rlcramer
Sep 12, 2007, 12:36 PM
I don't know why I'm posting this, but I must say - I haven't been this excited about an Apple product in AGES. For us audio guys, Logic Studio is HUGE. I am DROOLING to get my hands on this.

I think if is performs well, DP and Cubase are DONE (don't flame me, I'm a DP user right now), or will at least be forced to do some nice updates in the near future.

The price, lack of XS key, and the new interface? This is really awesome.

Kudos to the emagic team. It's taken a while, but it looks like it was worth the wait.

Bobby

k2k koos
Sep 12, 2007, 12:40 PM

YES THEY HAVE :-):apple:

msharp
Sep 12, 2007, 12:44 PM
Woooo....... no dongle any more....

And including all the jam packs for ONLY $500?!!!

I'm getting this, apple... (but after you ship my MBP!)

CmdrLaForge
Sep 12, 2007, 12:44 PM

I can't find that Edu pricing in the Apple Store. Are you sure it is for the Studio ? Or is it for the Express version ?

MagnusVonMagnum
Sep 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

No, sorry, but you have YOURSELF confused with Apple!!!! YOU are the one that is GREEDY and a self-centered only care about yourself type. And THIS time (unlike the iPhone thing) people can't say it's because Logic Pro 7 wasn't out LONG enough as it's been out for YEARS. Look what you said yourself. You can't STAND the fact someone ELSE can get the same stuff you bought for over $2000 for $300 (actually $500, but you apparently can't read as you cannot assume all of us have ANY form of Logic right now).

I would imagine you are the same kind of person that would be hopping mad if the Doom 3 you paid $60 for dropped to the bargain bin at $20 or less. But I paid $60!!!! Yeah, and you also got to play it that much sooner. How long have you been using Logic Pro 7? A week? A month? No no no. YEARS by the sounds of it. If you really are a professional, that means you could have been earning MONEY all this time too. If you're not, maybe you're using overpriced software out of your budget? Otherwise, it sounds like that software was WORTH $2000 to you! And if it was, what are you angry about? The software you got? No, no! You're angry because they DROPPED the price. Boo hoo! That tells me you only care about yourself and you think that everyone else should suffer the same as you or else. No compassion. No generosity. Only selfishness. You You You. I hope for your sake there is no God because you will have to answer for it otherwise.

The rest of us are delierously HAPPY Apple has dropped the price AND included MORE with it. I planned on buying a brand new Mac this year (over a PC) for the SOLE purpose of using Logic Pro 7 and this basically enables me now to buy a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro instead of an iMac or Macbook. Thank you Apple!

Good! Please leave! M$ will be happy to have you back in their fold and I for one will not miss the likes of your kind one bit.

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 01:01 PM
No, sorry, but you have YOURSELF confused with Apple!!!! YOU are the one that is GREEDY and a self-centered only care about yourself type. And THIS time (unlike the iPhone thing) people can't say it's because Logic Pro 7 wasn't out LONG enough as it's been out for YEARS. Look what you said yourself. You can't STAND the fact someone ELSE can get the same stuff you bought for over $2000 for $300 (actually $500, but you apparently can't read as you cannot assume all of us have ANY form of Logic right now).

I would imagine you are the same kind of person that would be hopping mad if the Doom 3 you paid $60 for dropped to the bargain bin at $20 or less. But I paid $60!!!! Yeah, and you also got to play it that much sooner. How long have you been using Logic Pro 7? A week? A month? No no no. YEARS by the sounds of it. If you really are a professional, that means you could have been earning MONEY all this time too. If you're not, maybe you're using overpriced software out of your budget? Otherwise, it sounds like that software was WORTH $2000 to you! And if it was, what are you angry about? The software you got? No, no! You're angry because they DROPPED the price. Boo hoo! That tells me you only care about yourself and you think that everyone else should suffer the same as you or else. No compassion. No generosity. Only selfishness. You You You. I hope for your sake there is no God because you will have to answer for it otherwise.

The rest of us are delierously HAPPY Apple has dropped the price AND included MORE with it. I planned on buying a brand new Mac this year (over a PC) for the SOLE purpose of using Logic Pro 7 and this basically enables me now to buy a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro instead of an iMac or Macbook. Thank you Apple!

Good! Please leave! M$ will be happy to have you back in their fold and I for one will not miss the likes of your kind one bit.

Um... wow, I think the guy up there was joking but seriously if he wasn't... I was one of those that femaledoged about the iPhone price drop, but this is a completely new program. You want to spend MORE on a program? You'd rather spend $3000 instead of $2500? Sheesh. And I bought Logic Pro 7, Jam Packs, Ableton Live, and have spent at least $10k on other equipment.

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 01:06 PM
I wonder if they added any features to make the workflow more like Ableton Live... doubtful, but it'd be great :)

thevofl
Sep 12, 2007, 01:09 PM
I can't find that Edu pricing in the Apple Store. Are you sure it is for the Studio ? Or is it for the Express version ?

Logic Studio (http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/EducationIndividualCustom.woa/9424006/wa/PSLID?mco=C731933D&nplm=MA802Z/A&wosid=1r6m3Dk1qFwE2isak4CXs9PrRvM)
$449.99

Logic Express (http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/EducationIndividualCustom.woa/9424006/wa/PSLID?mco=C734C1D6&nplm=MA809Z/A&wosid=1r6m3Dk1qFwE2isak4CXs9PrRvM)
$179.99

I am saddened that Apple is closing the gap between Academic Pricing and Full price.

Recently:
- They eliminated discounts on iPods
- Mac Mini's academic savings is $20.00
- Current iMac's have a discount of $50 for the low end
- iLife's discount dropped to $8.00

Currently:
- FCS's discount is from $1299 to $699
- Shake goes from $499 to $249
- FCE's discount is from $299 to $149

In the past, hardware saw approximately 10% discount for academic pricing; software saw approximately 50% discount for academic pricing.

If Apple is concerned about too many people taking advantage of academic pricing, why don't they begin a verifying process? Currently anyone who merely identifies himself or herself with a school gets the discounts without any verification.

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 01:11 PM
If Apple is concerned about too many people taking advantage of academic pricing, why don't they begin a verifying process? Currently anyone who merely identifies himself or herself with a school gets the discounts without any verification.

You also can't upgrade, so those of us who purchased Logic Pro 7 Edu (:rolleyes:) need to spend $500 to get Logic Studio, but those who spent $999 on it only need to buy the $199 upgrade.

MysterMac
Sep 12, 2007, 01:18 PM
I agree of course, this is absolutely fantastic news. I just had to check the comments here though, just to see who was going to humiliate themselves by whinging about something so great. Bottom line is, you only buy something if you think its worth it.
If later, the price goes down : As Saxondale would say,

its a titty, of the tough variety ;)

mackensteff
Sep 12, 2007, 01:35 PM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

May I be one of many that will gladly say goodbye. Please leave these forums as well because I am sick of reading this crap.

Wie Gehts
Sep 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
I recently got a macbook and was just about to drop some money on either Live6, Cubase 4 or Logic Express. This is fantastic news.

I've been using Cubase3-4,and VST5. At the time I also bought Logic Gold 2.5, installed it, opened it, closed it and never used it again. Logic didn't jive with how my brain is wired.....

But who can resist for the price and I'm assuming L8 is going to be a lot more....uh, logical...to work with my left brainedness... ;)

Hopefully it'll show up at the music dealer I use so I can go on a payment plan...

I didn't see any vids on Apples Logic 8 page.......

One concern though......

Additional recommendations for MainStage

* At least 2GB of RAM for large EXS instruments
* USB musical keyboard, control surface, or guitar pedal board (or suitable MIDI control device and interface)
* Standard graphics card in any Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac with Intel Core Duo, Power Mac G5, or iMac G5

No Macbook mentioned!!? Is there going to be some problems with running Mainstage on Macbooks graphics? That would suck...Apple making something not being able to perform probely on NEW machines. Hmmmmmm

Tell me its nothing to worry about.

hayesk
Sep 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
I am saddened that Apple is closing the gap between Academic Pricing and Full price.

I think it's because software is probably becoming more expensive to produce and margins on hardware is getting thinner and thinner. It's the way the economy is going.

mackensteff
Sep 12, 2007, 01:56 PM
I paid $299 for the full version of Logic Express 7. Now I'm paying $99 more to upgrade to Logic Express 8 while the person buying Logic Express 8 can buy the full version for $199 while I paid a total of $398 for it. How does that make sense. This should be a FREE upgrade from previous owners rather than making us spend twice the money that new-comers have to spend. LAME! I still can't wait to get my version though... the new features look ROCKIN! So, I can't really complain too much.

AHHHHH! Can we get these comments BANNED. Or at least a page here that we can refer these people to that explains economics, depreciation, capitalism, and life to these folks. I can promise you that in the future something new and better and cheaper will come out to replace something you own. Accept it now and save us, or at least keep your whining to yourself. AHHHHHHH! Ok I feel better!

mwsh2000
Sep 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
I currently own Logic 7.2 which I run on my PowerMac G5. Once Leopard is released, I planned on selling the PowerMac, and replacing it with a Macbook Pro. So my question is:

Do I need to install Logic 7.2 on the Macbook Pro before installing the upgrade, or will I need to just plug my dongle into the Macbook Pro and install the new version (without having to do anything with 7.2)?

I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but I didn't know if Apple had done anything similar with their other pro apps. I thought that the 7.2 upgrade was basically a disk with the full version of Logic, but the dongle needed to be plugged in.

Looks like an expensive couple of months coming up... I also wanted a Mini for the home theater, and my wife wants a Macbook.

mrmma
Sep 12, 2007, 02:24 PM
Logic Studio (http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/EducationIndividualCustom.woa/9424006/wa/PSLID?mco=C731933D&nplm=MA802Z/A&wosid=1r6m3Dk1qFwE2isak4CXs9PrRvM)
$449.99

Logic Express (http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/EducationIndividualCustom.woa/9424006/wa/PSLID?mco=C734C1D6&nplm=MA809Z/A&wosid=1r6m3Dk1qFwE2isak4CXs9PrRvM)
$179.99

Recently:
- They eliminated discounts on iPods
- Mac Mini's academic savings is $20.00
- Current iMac's have a discount of $50 for the low end
- iLife's discount dropped to $8.00

Currently:
- FCS's discount is from $1299 to $699
- Shake goes from $499 to $249
- FCE's discount is from $299 to $149

In the past, hardware saw approximately 10% discount for academic pricing; software saw approximately 50% discount for academic pricing.

That's really strange, because when I click through my (Missouri) university Tech site to get to Apple's edu site (www.mutigertech.com), I come up with

Logic Express 8 Academic- $69
Logic Studio Academic- $149
Final Cut Studio Academic -$499
Final Cut Express Academic -$99

Maybe our university negotiates better pricing on things than a "standard" academic price.

yiswitched
Sep 12, 2007, 02:24 PM
I just called the Apple store, the full student version Direct is $179.99 for Logic Studio. I for one hope this solves all the bug issues, I started using logic 5.5 and it was very nice. I switched to Apple computers (Something I absolutely do not regret a bit) to run Logic Pro 7 in my studio and was a very early adopter. It's been a bad experience, it was never stable on any of the three Mac's I have owned outside of MIDI production. Some of the most buggy software I have ever used. I went back to pro tools for all of my audio production but have continued to use Logic Pro for MIDI.

I knew it was coming out any day now, people thought I was crazy thinking I may be announced during the ipod event ;)

the vj
Sep 12, 2007, 02:28 PM
At that price I rather buy it all. Is like getting a brand new Toyota Corolla for $3000.

I believe they really went over dongle vs price. That dongle system is expensive and I am sure they could save "dongle logistics" and money and make more proffit offering a better product at a lower price.

It takes time to realize where the umbral is.

CaptainScarlet
Sep 12, 2007, 02:29 PM
Wonder how the AU instruments are going to work now. Better or worse. The validation in 7 is problematic. Sometimes plug-ins validate and sometimes they dont. And are the plug-ins I use in 7 going to be compatible in 8?

Ba5tardo
Sep 12, 2007, 02:57 PM
This sucks. It really sucks. I can’t believe they would do this…
I just spent the last week reading, from cover to cover, the Logic 7 Reference Manual. I read all about regions, audio editing, the score editor and even the elusive Logic environment. As of 11:00PM Eastern Time last night, I had assimilated all that the printed word could express about Logic

It was the one time in my life where I read the ENTIRE manual. I even read the entire glossary section. For that short period of time I felt like the master of the universe.

I guess I will get started tonight with the new 1030 page book…

Seriously though… Any word on if there is anything new with ESX24. Is it now version 3? Does it have any fancy new features?

mandoman
Sep 12, 2007, 02:59 PM
Good overview of Logic Studio here:
http://images.apple.com/logicstudio/docs/L352929A_LogicStudio_PO.pdf

Reading through, it really blows me away at how much
content you get - 8 DVDs worth - it's just crazy! I bet the competition is shaking in their boots.

yiswitched
Sep 12, 2007, 03:02 PM
This sucks. It really sucks. I can’t believe they would do this…
I just spent the last week reading, from cover to cover, the Logic 7 Reference Manual. I read all about regions, audio editing, the score editor and even the elusive Logic environment. As of 11:00PM Eastern Time last night, I had assimilated all that the printed word could express about Logic

It was the one time in my life where I read the ENTIRE manual. I even read the entire glossary section. For that short period of time I felt like the master of the universe.

Seriously though… Any word on if there is anything new with ESX24. Is it now version 3? Does it have any fancy new features?

I have scanned the new manual, much of the functionality looks the same or very similar. I think you will be fine :cool:

Logic371
Sep 12, 2007, 03:04 PM

hahaha, it's freebird!

Reep
Sep 12, 2007, 03:05 PM
So I am one of the unfortunate few to be in the worst possible situation. I bought 7.2 nineteen days ago. They have a fourteen day return policy (just missed it). I haven't even used it yet, although I did open the box.

I don't blame Apple for my bad timing, but this makes the iPhone thing look like chump change. I missed saving $500 by four days.

Come on Apple, love your Logic buyers as much as your iPhone buyers.

cgingrich
Sep 12, 2007, 03:09 PM
That's really strange, because when I click through my (Missouri) university Tech site to get to Apple's edu site (www.mutigertech.com), I come up with

Logic Express 8 Academic- $69
Logic Studio Academic- $149
Final Cut Studio Academic -$499
Final Cut Express Academic -$99

Maybe our university negotiates better pricing on things than a "standard" academic price.

It does indeed list the studio as being $149. I "added it to cart" and it brought up a screen about making a proposal so perhaps this is for classroom use only!? Who knows, I would like to get to the bottom of this!

thevofl
Sep 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
It does indeed list the studio as being $149. I "added it to cart" and it brought up a screen about making a proposal so perhaps this is for classroom use only!? Who knows, I would like to get to the bottom of this!

Those are the prices for education institutions. That is, the price to install on the University's computers, not student's / teacher's personal Macs.

Maccus Aurelius
Sep 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
So I am one of the unfortunate few to be in the worst possible situation. I bought 7.2 nineteen days ago. They have a fourteen day return policy (just missed it). I haven't even used it yet, although I did open the box.

I don't blame Apple for my bad timing, but this makes the iPhone thing look like chump change. I missed saving $500 by four days.

Come on Apple, love your Logic buyers as much as your iPhone buyers.

That does suck, but at least you can upgrade for free.

TheSpaz
Sep 12, 2007, 03:14 PM
AHHHHH! Can we get these comments BANNED. Or at least a page here that we can refer these people to that explains economics, depreciation, capitalism, and life to these folks. I can promise you that in the future something new and better and cheaper will come out to replace something you own. Accept it now and save us, or at least keep your whining to yourself. AHHHHHHH! Ok I feel better!

Umm... I was just mentioning it. I am really excited to receive my copy because I love Apple and their products! It was only supposed to be a small complaint on my part, nothing to get upset over. I can't wait to use it!

Loge
Sep 12, 2007, 03:14 PM

You do know they make you take a test before you can purchase the new version? ;)

mopppish
Sep 12, 2007, 03:16 PM
Can someone help me out with the academic pricing issue?
When I go to the educational store, there's nothing.
I called a guy at Apple, and he couldn't find it for a while.
Then when he did find it through some backwards way, he gave me the $449 price.
Where exactly are you finding these cheaper prices? Aside from the Tigertech one. :)
Who exactly did you call to get the $179 price (for the full Studio version) from Apple? Was it a physical store?
Thanks!

P.S. I'm a student at UW-Whitewater, so I'm not trying to cheat or anything!

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 03:22 PM
Where exactly are you finding these cheaper prices? Aside from the Tigertech one. :)
Who exactly did you call to get the $179 price (for the full Studio version) from Apple? Was it a physical store?
Thanks!

Sometimes your school bookstore will have lower prices than the Apple Store directly. For example, I purchased Logic Pro 7 from my school bookstore for $299 (edu), where if I went to the Apple Store it would have been $499.

milo
Sep 12, 2007, 03:26 PM
So I am one of the unfortunate few to be in the worst possible situation. I bought 7.2 nineteen days ago.

You get a free upgrade.

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 03:27 PM

any1 know?

cheers, Joel.

There's a MIDI editor that I use to map out beats. There's also Ultrabeat, which has a step-sequencer, so it's basically a softsynth drum machine. Although I don't use it much, it's really powerful -- you can load samples onto different voices or synthesize your own drum or synth sounds. You can also direct the plugin to different tracks and mix onboard the plugin, so it's pretty integrated.

mopppish
:( I'm pretty sure that our bookstore doesn't carry any software.
Stupid small campus.

Logic371
Ordered and overnighted.

Flashback to the SATs
Logic Pro 8 is to Logic Pro 7 as Leopard is to Windows 95.

I recently got disillusioned with LP7 and started mainly using Garageband '08, which I love but doesn't support my control surface/interface. These apps make me want to make music again.

Also, I've always hated that Ableton Live really had a monopoly on live-performance apps, though I love Live. The jury is still out on Mainstage, but if it lives up to the previews, I've found my new killer app.

AUDIO GUYS
Though there isn't a true loop system like in Live, one could simply beat map out drum beats or bass lines and trigger them in tempo with a midi instrument right?

ChrisA
Sep 12, 2007, 03:28 PM

Just wait a couple days. Most of Apples pro software is discounted by exactly 50% for students. It may take them a while to update the web sites. I would imagine Apple will work on getting the european stores updated before the student stores

Reep
Sep 12, 2007, 03:32 PM
You get a free upgrade.

The only bright spot, but that is standard for most upgrades. If I would have waited five days (haven't even really used the software yet), then I wouldn't have needed the upgrade.

This is worse than the iPhone as everyone expects cell phone prices to drop after introduction. I'm not sure anyone thought Logic 8 would be this price. But, because there are only a small number of us affected (recent Logic 7.2 buyers), somehow I don't think we will get Apple's ear.

For me there is really not an upside. I paid $500 more than the market does now. It's spilt milk and water under the bridge. Nothing I can do about it, so I will just move forward.

Anyone have Steve Jobs' personal email address?

JohnH108
Sep 12, 2007, 03:36 PM
Has anybody heard when Logic 9 is due out :D

mandoman
Sep 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
Now I just need to add the newly updated Guitar Rig 3 (http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrig3)
and I'm all set!

TheSpaz
Sep 12, 2007, 03:40 PM
Has anybody heard when Logic 9 is due out :D

This made me chuckle!

triskadecaepyon
Sep 12, 2007, 03:46 PM
Wow. Totally not expecting this, as it is days after the new ipod release. Then again, the ipod releases don't have too much to do with this.

Damn cool though, and it looks like they are stepping directly on Ableton's shoes. They are gonna be pissed :P

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 03:52 PM
At last-no more confusion with my "Babya Logic"-Logic Studio is a great new name.

And putting STP2 in is a nice bouns

MvdM
Sep 12, 2007, 03:59 PM
Are the specs given on the site the specs that will be in the final product? Are you sure this time, Apple?
Take snapshots of the specs gentlemen! Who knows they delete some 'editing' features on the specs page within the next days.
Like they did with the Touch.

smilinggoat
Sep 12, 2007, 04:00 PM
Flashback to the SATs
Logic Pro 8 is to Logic Pro 7 as Leopard is to Windows 95.

I disagree. Logic Pro 8 is not really such a large step up from Logic 7. As you can see from the list of changes:
-New UI (it's not that different actually...)
-Templates? Whatever...I've already made all my templates
-Multitake recording (lifted from Digital Performer, I'm very glad to finally have it in Logic)
-Quick Swipe comping (okay, this really is cool, but it's the first significant change yet listed)
-Audio editing (beat snapping is good...it's catching up to ProTools, but ProTools audio really is a dream to work with. Logic still has a ways to go...)
-Surround? I thought we already had that in 7...
-No XS key. Not that big of a deal, just easier for the pirates to crack.

As you can see from the above list, this really is closer to a Logic 7.5 than an 8. There are no new instruments, and only a couple new effects (Delay Designer looks sweet!). It's yet to be seen how many new EXS instruments are included.

I still bought it because I've been waiting to upgrade from 7 Express for a long time, and I'm hoping that Mainstage will be a worthy replacement for Ableton Live (Live's routing and performance capabilities are limited when it comes to complex MIDI manipulation).

This is a worthy upgrade and the price reduction is fantastic! But spare yourself the hyperbole, this is a good upgrade, but it is no Win95 -> OS X 10.5 ;)

AUDIO GUYS
Though there isn't a true loop system like in Live, one could simply beat map out drum beats or bass lines and trigger them in tempo with a midi instrument right?

If I dealt with loops in live performance, I'd either stick with Ableton Live or perhaps load samples into Ultrabeat (or iDrum or what-have-you) to have them looped and triggered.

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 04:02 PM
Apple seems to using Babya Logic 3 style features now in Logic Studio-like a single window interface.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2339/logic3tn9.jpg

Just as easy to use as my Logic for Windows.

That makes me happy.
Though a general purpose synth like our StarrySynth and ES10 hasn't been added.

Also MainStage is a pro Magic garageband with a different focus.

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 04:10 PM
Wow. Totally not expecting this, as it is days after the new ipod release. Then again, the ipod releases don't have too much to do with this.

Damn cool though, and it looks like they are stepping directly on Ableton's shoes. They are gonna be pissed :P

Not really, Ableton is still a totally different program. Mainstage looks more like a workstation competitor (a la Motif/Triton/Fantom). Live's big thing is Session View with realtime manipulation of loops and timestretching.

smilinggoat
Sep 12, 2007, 04:23 PM
Not really, Ableton is still a totally different program. Mainstage looks more like a workstation competitor (a la Motif/Triton/Fantom). Live's big thing is Session View with realtime manipulation of loops and timestretching.

For what I use Ableton Live for, I believe Mainstage will be a replacement.

I don't trigger loops, I just use Live as a low-latency host for a few soft synths with multiple MIDI controllers (Korg K61, Edirol M30, Behringer FCB1010) to control effects and tap tempo, etc. This looks like the perfect live performance tool for what I want. By the looks of the demo videos, the MIDI and audio routing will be very customizable and deep, which is exactly what I've been needing for some time!

Plus being able to use EVP88 and EVB3 instead of Lounge Lizard and NI's B4 in a live setting will rule! (That said, I'm quite fond of B4, but EVP88 is definitely a step up from Lounge Lizard)

chicagostars
Sep 12, 2007, 04:25 PM
New and improved ways to for me to live under the delusion that I have musical ability! :) Pretty cool, nonetheless. Even for an observer.

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 04:26 PM
No XSKey is required now-a good move.

Nicky G
Sep 12, 2007, 04:35 PM

Although i am a FCS user and not a musician, I can feel the pain when suddently Apple abandoned us, the pros (their core customers from day 1) and choose to support the teeny boopers with their ipods, iphone, icar, itoaster, iradio.

Is an 8-core 3GHz workstation with up to 16GB RAM, 4 internal SATA drives, fibre channel, internal RAID card, etc. etc. etc. not enough for Logic? Give me a break. It's hard to hit the ceiling with Logic with a dual G5.

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 04:41 PM
I disagree. Logic Pro 8 is not really such a large step up from Logic 7. As you can see from the list of changes:
-New UI (it's not that different actually...)
-Templates? Whatever...I've already made all my templates
-Multitake recording (lifted from Digital Performer, I'm very glad to finally have it in Logic)
-Quick Swipe comping (okay, this really is cool, but it's the first significant change yet listed)
-Audio editing (beat snapping is good...it's catching up to ProTools, but ProTools audio really is a dream to work with. Logic still has a ways to go...)
-Surround? I thought we already had that in 7...
-No XS key. Not that big of a deal, just easier for the pirates to crack.

I've taken a brief read over the web page (have yet to delve into the PDF of changes) but it really doesn't look like Logic 8 is that much. The UI looks pretty much the same, although a bit prettier, and all the plugins are the same. The biggest change for me will be not using the XSKey (I found myself using GarageBand more -- unlike some people I do a lot of work at a Library or coffee house). The price drop is welcomed, of course.

natallica
Sep 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
Just brought home my upgrade... ;-)

The 20lbs of manuals will make for nice toilet reading!

-- N

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
For what I use Ableton Live for, I believe Mainstage will be a replacement.

I don't trigger loops, I just use Live as a low-latency host for a few soft synths with multiple MIDI controllers (Korg K61, Edirol M30, Behringer FCB1010) to control effects and tap tempo, etc. This looks like the perfect live performance tool for what I want. By the looks of the demo videos, the MIDI and audio routing will be very customizable and deep, which is exactly what I've been needing for some time!

Plus being able to use EVP88 and EVB3 instead of Lounge Lizard and NI's B4 in a live setting will rule! (That said, I'm quite fond of B4, but EVP88 is definitely a step up from Lounge Lizard)

I use Ableton Live to DJ, so... heh, wouldn't be using Mainstage for that~

gusapple
Sep 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
Mmmmmmm.... Tastes like Leopard...... But with a little more "Logic"

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
You can do ALOT with Logic Express. I've been using LE7 for a while. There are some pro features that they leave out. Off the top of my head here are some of them ...

- You are limited to 32 tracks in a session. Not terrible.
- You can't do any sidechain routing/linking with your plugins. This isn't a big deal but a lot of electronic musicians do this kind of stuff.
- You don't have access to create your own EXS24 instruments.
- You can't use the beat mapper.

^ This is a rough list off the top of my head and it only applies to version 7. Some of what they're touting in version 8 seems to make Express even more attractive...

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/specs/

I thought LE could do 255 tracks.

And still no export to podcast feature:many pros produce podcasts:eg. company podcasts,etc.

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
Good overview of Logic Studio here:
http://images.apple.com/logicstudio/docs/L352929A_LogicStudio_PO.pdf

Reading through, it really blows me away at how much
content you get - 8 DVDs worth - it's just crazy! I bet the competition is shaking in their boots.

We aren't-we just released a new version of Babya Logic (2008) (http://babyasoftwaregroup.googlepages.com/babyalogic) and added in features that are innovative. And we have at least 70 effect plugins.

I bet the others-Ableton, FL, Cakewalk,etc will be though

Seems the Jam Packs are hits with pros-so they include a subset with Logic Studio 8.

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 05:02 PM
Anything in Logic Studio for "sound synthesis"?

kingtj
Sep 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
Does anyone know if Logic 8 added more hardware MIDI synthesizer/workstation support to its list?

Specifically, I own a Korg Triton Extreme, and noticed that until Logic did the 7.1 update, it didn't seem to have ANY Korg synth products in its database! I think in 7.2, it finally added several variations of the Korg Triton (along with many other Korg products), but neglected to add the Extreme.

offwidafairies
Sep 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
I bought Logic Express and hardly used it coz I couldnt understand how to use it. I now use Pro Tools. I hear Logic is awesome but Im yet to be enlightened. Being able to use software without a dongle is tempting though. Is there much difference between Logic Express and Pro? And does anyone use Pro Tools aswell? Or is it one or the other?

quigleybc
Sep 12, 2007, 05:38 PM
I wonder if it supports VST's ...?? that would be nice...

Or at least if the AU manager could be a little more forgiving.....

scottlinux
Sep 12, 2007, 05:42 PM

Large academic institutions get volume discounts. Logic Pro 7 was available for $299 (full version) from certain places, mainly large college bookstores. Looks like same sort of massive discounts are in place for certain institutions...

scottlinux
Sep 12, 2007, 05:44 PM
Anything in Logic Studio for "sound synthesis"?

Yeah interestingly enough there is not. Just soft synths which you can of course alter numerous settings.

I was wondering if Logic 8 would include a Reaktor clone...

Wild-Bill
Sep 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
I wonder if it has multi-core / multi-threaded support. :confused:

tsp7
Sep 12, 2007, 06:02 PM
"Except the Jam Packs have been around for 'god' knows how long. Do not try to compare things which are completely different to each other.

Hmmm... You don't believe in God, but you seem to think He knows things about Jam Packs? :confused:

Kaiser Phoenix
Sep 12, 2007, 06:04 PM
I was planning to take the Apple Logic Pro 7 Certification Exam/Course but do you guys think its a bad idea now? (i.e. Outdated qualification)

When do exams and courses get updated usually (in the UK)?

milo
Sep 12, 2007, 06:20 PM
Are the specs given on the site the specs that will be in the final product?

Considering people already have their hands on the final product, that seems pretty likely. :rolleyes:

As you can see from the above list, this really is closer to a Logic 7.5 than an 8.

That list is only a few of the things, there are many more like direct ac3 export (which I believe requires an extra for PT that costs about as much as the whole logic package), sample accurate editing in the arrange window, timestretch by dragging region edges, more key commands, better key command import/export/backup, remote control recording, STP and the very cool Mainstage bundled, true surround fx and synths (does any version of PT include a surround reverb yet, much less an IR one?), better multi-out instrument handling, auto aux fader creation based on send assignment, import/record of interleaved surround files (does PT even support stereo after all these years?), improved mute/solo options, pre/post pan on auxes, binaural panning, third party plugins on nodes, better exs24 editor, and more.

AnalyzeThis
Sep 12, 2007, 06:21 PM
What happened?

Well Apple increased value of the old Logic Pro by:
+ $500 Jampacks
+ $200 SoundTrack Pro 2
-------
= $700

And then reduce original cost by over $700

So the savings for a newbie is whooping $1400 . (free iMac or 1/2 MP or MBP)

You would not find better present then that.

Let's sell more macs and have a great year ever.

Thank Apple for sharing some of the late gold shower perks with fans and new folks.

The message: it is time upgrade you old Mac musical dude!

macinthebox-nan
Sep 12, 2007, 06:24 PM
yeah it is definitely a price drop compared with b4; it's a steal at "only" $500:cool:

milo
Sep 12, 2007, 06:24 PM
It's hard to hit the ceiling with Logic with a dual G5.

Strongly disagree. It's pretty easy, I can even max out a quad G5 without too much trouble. Although I think 10.5 may make more of a difference than a hardware boost.

Multimedia
Sep 12, 2007, 06:43 PM

Although i am a FCS user and not a musician, I can feel the pain when suddently Apple abandoned us, the pros (their core customers from day 1) and choose to support the teeny boopers with their ipods, iphone, icar, itoaster, iradio.Relax. 8 Core Mac Pros are almost here.

Jenny1
Sep 12, 2007, 06:48 PM
this is awesome news. i can't wait to get my hands on it...

citi
Sep 12, 2007, 07:06 PM
Strongly disagree. It's pretty easy, I can even max out a quad G5 without too much trouble. Although I think 10.5 may make more of a difference than a hardware boost.

As a music producer/engineer I've always thought it funny that people hit the ceiling of their music apps with dual processor 8gb ram systems. To me, it means that you are working very inefficiently. You don't need 6 different reverbs for 6 tracks. You don't need a 4 tracks dedicated to saying "yeah" and "uh huh" and you don't need a waves C4 on every track. With proper bussing, you should really never hit the ceiling. Virtual instruments are another thing altogether because depending on the type of instrument.

AnalyzeThis
Sep 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
As a music producer/engineer I've always thought it funny that people hit the ceiling of their music apps with dual processor 8gb ram systems. To me, it means that you are working very inefficiently. You don't need 6 different reverbs for 6 tracks. You don't need a 4 tracks dedicated to saying "yeah" and "uh huh" and you don't need a waves C4 on every track. With proper bussing, you should really never hit the ceiling. Virtual instruments are another thing altogether because depending on the type of instrument.

I can bring any database engine (not music related really) on its knees, no matter how fast and efficient vendors claims it is. It is your efficiency and experience that rules.

afields
Sep 12, 2007, 07:26 PM
wow, the morning I don't check out apple.com or macrumors....this is ******** awesome. long time coming. I yelped out loud when I saw this, and ordered it immediately.

OldCorpse
Sep 12, 2007, 07:35 PM
There are going to be a lot of pissed off people because the hardware dongle is now missing. Like the other poster said "I liked the robust authentication". It's pretty simple really. You know how there are people angry now about the price drop because they just shelled out a heck of a lot more, and here Apple is dropping the price like crazy? Makes 'em feel like fools, and taken advantage of. Same thing here. With the dongle, you could sit back smugly and say "I paid for this, and you can't get it cheaper". Now, with no dongle, it'll be no time at all, and this thing will float on every bt out there, just like FCS did days after it was released. Then how are you gonna feel? I pay good solid money honestly to get the product, while here a guy gets it for free. Way to go - makes it feel all futile... at least before it was not possible with the dongle. I can tell you right now, people are not going to admit this, but there's a petition already circulating to Apple to bring back the dongle. The only thing you can hope for is that Apple did as good a job as Ableton, and any stuff on bt will be useless after a while. We'll see.

nüb
Sep 12, 2007, 07:36 PM
i'm a bit hesitant, but have no other options...generally things get crappier when they get cheaper....i hope they didn't dumb the program down too much. the only way i'll know is to get it though.:cool:

nüb
Sep 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
I can tell you right now, people are not going to admit this, but there's a petition already circulating to Apple to bring back the dongle. The only thing you can hope for is that Apple did as good a job as Ableton, and any stuff on bt will be useless after a while. We'll see.

Dongles blow. I hate taking my laptop somewhere and forgetting my dongle on my desktop and being screwed when i am out of town. I also don't like needlessly eating up a USB port.

OldCorpse
Sep 12, 2007, 07:43 PM
Dongles blow. I hate taking my laptop somewhere and forgetting my dongle on my desktop and being screwed when i am out of town. I also don't like needlessly eating up a USB port.

Oh please. Have you heard of usb hubs? I've got a ton of them in case I need them for my portable. And you don't really need a hub with a MP or an iMac, there are plenty of usb ports. Also, just make a checklist when you leave, so you don't forget the dongle.

twoodcc
Sep 12, 2007, 07:46 PM
great news! and that price seems pretty amazing! i'm sure a lot of people will be happy with this

AnalyzeThis
Sep 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
I could not comment about LP7, but I have LE7.2.

UI is way more user friendly. The instrument selection is very convenient kind of like in GarageBand. Instruments & drum kits sounds very nice also.

It took over an hour to install. I has some JamPacks installed and was concern if logic studio will install duplicates as it is packed in 3 DVDs (Dual Layer). But install was flawless. Setup simply skipped installed Jampacks.

God bless Apple! I forgive Apple for messing up the iMac with those "GLASSY" display panels.

I would suggest to go to full version. It is so much fun...

Loge
Sep 12, 2007, 08:04 PM
The UK site is now updated:

£319 is the full price,
£129 for the upgrade from Logic Pro 7.

http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/2007/09/120907_logicstudio.html

bobsbarricades
Sep 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
well I just pooped my pants...

no no really. I saw the site - and bam I had to take a crap. I always thought the saying was just that... but no

And it was a mighty movement my friends....forearm sized at least :)

Now if only they would refresh the mac pro I could order this....

synth3tik
Sep 12, 2007, 08:11 PM
I am glad to see this Logic 8 release. I took a break from Logic during Logic 7 to run a Pro Tools rig. It will be nice to get back into Logic. Still though, the best Logic features came from Emagic.

WOW.. just looked at the price. That is amazing....

nüb
Sep 12, 2007, 09:06 PM
Oh please. Have you heard of usb hubs? I've got a ton of them in case I need them for my portable. And you don't really need a hub with a MP or an iMac, there are plenty of usb ports. Also, just make a checklist when you leave, so you don't forget the dongle.

Yeah, i just don't like hubs...and i don't like making check-lists. ;)

freezerburrn
Sep 12, 2007, 09:47 PM
I currently own Logic 7.2 which I run on my PowerMac G5. Once Leopard is released, I planned on selling the PowerMac, and replacing it with a Macbook Pro. So my question is:

Do I need to install Logic 7.2 on the Macbook Pro before installing the upgrade, or will I need to just plug my dongle into the Macbook Pro and install the new version (without having to do anything with 7.2)?

I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but I didn't know if Apple had done anything similar with their other pro apps. I thought that the 7.2 upgrade was basically a disk with the full version of Logic, but the dongle needed to be plugged in.

Looks like an expensive couple of months coming up... I also wanted a Mini for the home theater, and my wife wants a Macbook.

Can someone enlighten us on how the upgrade works? I too have Logic 7.2 Pro but was wondering if I wanted to install the Logic 8 upgrade onto a new hard drive, do I have to install my Logic Pro 7.2 first or is the upgrade basically a full version requiring some kind of authorization/proof that you have Logic 7.2?

AnalyzeThis
Sep 12, 2007, 09:51 PM
The old setup assistant is gone (for good).
No need to re-start/launch application when making changes in Audio pref.

I needed to set processing buffer = large on my MBP 17" 2.33GHz/2GB so it would keep up with demo project with 66 tracks (due to laptop slow HD - expected).
No CPU or memory issues - there are plenty to spare.

Do you Know? LS8 includes full blown demo projects of the real songs of the following artists (Video + stereo & 5.1):
Brandy Carlie - "Late Morning Lullaby"
Shiny Toy Guns - "Le Disco" (played with this one)
The Roots - "Marathon Man Remix"
Plaid - "Faster"

And a coupon for free download of before mentioned songs from iTunes store. (not sure why, you can just export the mix to iTunes)

It will take away ~45GB out of HD. This is insane deal ...

sirgant
Sep 12, 2007, 09:55 PM
THIS BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

It's just called bad timing on your part. Plus no one is forcing you to upgrade, you can stay with Logic 7 and wait for Logic 9 and maybe you might feel better. Probably wasn't a smart move to purchase all of the jam packs anyway, as Logic under Apple has made a habit of combining soundware into Logic Pro. "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 10:03 PM
The old setup assistant is gone (for good).
No need to re-start/launch application when making changes in Audio pref.

I needed to set processing buffer = large on my MBP 17" 2.33GHz/2GB so it would keep up with demo project with 66 tracks (due to laptop slow HD - expected).

Do you Know? LS8 includes full blown demo projects of the real songs of the following artists (Video + stereo & 5.1):
Brandy Carlie - "Late Morning Lullaby"
Shiny Toy Guns - "Le Disco" (played with this one)
The Roots - "Marathon Man Remix"
Plaid - "Faster"

And a coupon for free download of before mentioned songs from iTunes store. (not sure why, you can just export the mix to iTunes)

It will take away ~45GB out of HD. This is insane deal ...

Those song projects make Logic Studio a amazing deal.

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah interestingly enough there is not. Just soft synths which you can of course alter numerous settings.

I was wondering if Logic 8 would include a Reaktor clone...

Or a clone of the Babya EM1 (which I developed)-which we use its exported with Logic Express.

aafuss1
Sep 12, 2007, 10:07 PM
Still no way to export as a podcast-many pros do podcasting (even Apple itself).

Dubja Andwhois
Sep 12, 2007, 10:32 PM
ok, just checking.

I cried a little bit...

many of us here have been waiting a long time.

thank you MR for these magic moments
thank you apple for buying emagic, and helping us realize that sometimes you have to be a monopoly to provide good products.

!@#$ers

roocka
Sep 12, 2007, 10:32 PM
"I have spent over $2000 on all of the software that apple is practically giving away for $499 now.

I am one step closer to saying goodbye to apple forever."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Apple should just put your name into a special database and they should call you everytime they decide to roll out a cool product. Or maybe they should sell you a product and say, "but don't buy any software or upgrades because we are always refining them and you may feel like you've over paid for them some day when they are obsolete".

The fact of the matter is that Apple is in business to sell hardware and software. You bought software which made you very happy and use hardware that performs well and now you're bitching and blaming them for doing their job. The i-Phone gave many people a right to be pissed because not only did they knock the price way down but they also discontinued the 4gig model which made all the people who bought them feel like they just overpaid for their model which no longer exists. But you are a whiny bitch for complaining about your issue.

thebrain74
Sep 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
what is the difference between Logic express and soundtrack (found in FCE). thanks. Also does this mean no new Soundtrack/FCE???

DMann
Sep 12, 2007, 11:28 PM

hahaha, it's freebird!

Freebird it is!

DMann
Sep 12, 2007, 11:33 PM
You also can't upgrade, so those of us who purchased Logic Pro 7 Edu (:rolleyes:) need to spend $500 to get Logic Studio, but those who spent $999 on it only need to buy the $199 upgrade.

What would happen if one attempted to install the standard upgrade into the Logic Pro 7 Edu? Would it reject the upgrade? Is there really a difference between the two?

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 11:38 PM
What would happen if one attempted to install the standard upgrade into the Logic Pro 7 Edu? Would it reject the upgrade? Is there really a difference between the two?

It would reject the upgrade. Nope, no difference, other than not being able to upgrade.

NewSc2
Sep 12, 2007, 11:41 PM
There are going to be a lot of pissed off people because the hardware dongle is now missing. Like the other poster said "I liked the robust authentication". It's pretty simple really. You know how there are people angry now about the price drop because they just shelled out a heck of a lot more, and here Apple is dropping the price like crazy? Makes 'em feel like fools, and taken advantage of. Same thing here. With the dongle, you could sit back smugly and say "I paid for this, and you can't get it cheaper". Now, with no dongle, it'll be no time at all, and this thing will float on every bt out there, just like FCS did days after it was released. Then how are you gonna feel? I pay good solid money honestly to get the product, while here a guy gets it for free. Way to go - makes it feel all futile... at least before it was not possible with the dongle. I can tell you right now, people are not going to admit this, but there's a petition already circulating to Apple to bring back the dongle. The only thing you can hope for is that Apple did as good a job as Ableton, and any stuff on bt will be useless after a while. We'll see.

Seriously ******* the dongle. I hated it. I paid full value for Logic Pro, and I have to carry around a stupid little piece of plastic everywhere I go? Let's see, I settle into a coffee shop, plug in my USB keyboard, plug in my mouse, then.... ???!? no room for a dongle. I hated having it in another bag, hated looking for it, hated going out for a bit and not being able to find it, only to realize I left it at home. It even has a big crack in it now (only cosmetic), and I hate how it looks :)

In fact, in the past few months I've said goodbye to the dongle and gone back to GarageBand for most of my mobile projects. I'd leave the dongle at home and only use it for the final tweaking, just because I didn't want to deal with the dongle.

rockinrocker
Sep 12, 2007, 11:57 PM
does anyone know specifically what the differences are between logic pro and express are?

anyone have a link? i can't find anything on apples site.....

MagnusVonMagnum
Sep 13, 2007, 12:17 AM
There are going to be a lot of pissed off people because the hardware dongle is now missing.

Are their names all SELFISH or SMUG by chance? Why don't you guys stop acting like retards and get over the fact not everyone in this world is a selfish maniacal jacka$$. I've heard many Mac users are fancy boys with too much money and no common sense, but I didn't expect so many to prove those rumors correct until I started reading various Mac forums. Fortunately, I think you're becoming more and more of a minority as more sensible people realize the Mac is better than a Windows driven PC, especially now that their pricing seems to becoming realistic for people that did NOT inherit their money and feel the need to show off their sports cars and Rolex watches.

OldCorpse
Sep 13, 2007, 12:32 AM
Are their names all SELFISH or SMUG by chance? Why don't you guys stop acting like retards and get over the fact not everyone in this world is a selfish maniacal jacka$$. I've heard many Mac users are fancy boys with too much money and no common sense, but I didn't expect so many to prove those rumors correct until I started reading various Mac forums. Fortunately, I think you're becoming more and more of a minority as more sensible people realize the Mac is better than a Windows driven PC, especially now that their pricing seems to becoming realistic for people that did NOT inherit their money and feel the need to show off their sports cars and Rolex watches.

Wow, talk about a hater. Has it occured to you that it is YOU who is selfish? I have paid good money, along with others, and supported Apple financially through our purchases over the years. That's what allowed Apple to survive and flourish - the support of people willing to pay for quality, not the cheapskates and the thieves. I like to feel that what I buy has some lasting value and worth, not that it's going to appear on bt two days later. I wonder who it is who has no common sense - those of us who are willing to step up to the plate and pay, or the jerks who filch stuff from bt. I bet you anything, most of the celebration over no more dongle is from those who are just waiting for an easy download so they don't have to pay. Talk about selfish. At least I pay for what I use.

pamon
Sep 13, 2007, 12:53 AM
Have one of the more recent macbook's. Anyone see any reason why i'd have any problems running either program? 2GB/160GB macbook. thanks

yiswitched
Sep 13, 2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks!

I'm working on my Masters at the University or Oregon, I called the apple store direct from the websites 800 number. Once they verified my student ID card that was the price they quoted me. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my previous post, it's been a real busy day.

Eric5h5
Sep 13, 2007, 01:31 AM
I like to feel that what I buy has some lasting value and worth, not that it's going to appear on bt two days later.

You realize that hardly any software uses dongles? Most companies have realized that it doesn't pay to alienate or punish their paying customers. Pirates are always going to pirate, dongle or no dongle...they just hack the program so it doesn't need a dongle and then distribute the crack. All a dongle does is make pirating slightly more difficult for a short time, and inconveniences the people who are actually paying. I hope you're paying because it's the right and legal thing to do, not because it has a dongle...I don't see how other peoples' illegal and immoral activities has anything to do with your purchases.

--Eric

xStep
Sep 13, 2007, 01:39 AM
Pirates are always going to pirate, dongle or no dongle...they just hack the program so it doesn't need a dongle and then distribute the crack.

I've been told by a Logic Pro user that the Logic dongle has not be cracked.

Gilfanon
Sep 13, 2007, 03:24 AM
I have paid good money, along with others, and supported Apple financially through our purchases over the years. That's what allowed Apple to survive and flourish - the support of people willing to buy iPods by the truckload

Corrected in a slightly tongue-in-cheek fashion ;)

Seriously, you didn't single-handedly save Apple by buying a copy of Logic Pro, so cut it with the Jesus-complex. USB Dongles are a pain, and suggesting that anyone who disagrees with you is a "cheapskate or thief" isn't going to endear you to the majority of people on these boards who have been equally supportive in buying shedloads of Apple products, and will continue to do so legitimately, but just don't like the inconvenience of carrying a dongle and/or USB hub around with them.

moabon.rob
Sep 13, 2007, 04:12 AM
The UK site is now updated:

£319 is the full price,
£129 for the upgrade from Logic Pro 7.

http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/2007/09/120907_logicstudio.html

And the higher education price (uni students etc) is...

...£118.68 :eek:

EDIT: That's for buying it complete - the upgrade version (from Logic Pro or Logic Platinum/Gold 5 or 6) is the same as the quoted upgrade above, so for people with higher education discounts it makes no sense to upgrade as it's £10 more!

ANTMUZ
Sep 13, 2007, 04:12 AM
For UK academics you're looking around £118 for the full version. And there's no "education version" you just get the full retail version according to the guy at my Apple store.

moabon.rob
Sep 13, 2007, 04:17 AM
For UK academics you're looking around £118 for the full version. And there's no "education version" you just get the full retail version according to the guy at my Apple store.

I would imagine this is true - my "education version" of Final Cut Studio 2 was the full retail version as far as I could see!

Skiniftz
Sep 13, 2007, 04:57 AM
Just called Apple about the upgrade - firstly the good news, no more stupid ****ing dongle. Fantastic. Finally I don't have to be paranoid about losing it.

Reason I will not be purchasing Logic 8 though is I've just been told by Apple you cannot install one copy on two computers. i.e. I have a studio G5 (which will at some point become a Mac Pro) and a MacBook Pro. Having music software that I can only use on the studio machine and not take portable with me is ****ing useless. And no I'm not wanting to pay twice for the same software that I will only be using on one computer at a time. :mad:

darkpaw
Sep 13, 2007, 05:08 AM
I just called Apple and they said the educational price was £289.05.

I'm a student at a university, but not one where I can access the online store through the uni's network. How do I get the full package for just £118?

A quick response will do wonders for your karma :)

Bow Rekk
Sep 13, 2007, 05:14 AM
Oops! Sorry, question already answered.

So there is no disadvantage with buying it for £118 such as not being able to upgrade?

daveporter
Sep 13, 2007, 05:14 AM
Just called Apple about the upgrade - firstly the good news, no more stupid ****ing dongle. Fantastic. Finally I don't have to be paranoid about losing it.

Reason I will not be purchasing Logic 8 though is I've just been told by Apple you cannot install one copy on two computers. i.e. I have a studio G5 (which will at some point become a Mac Pro) and a MacBook Pro. Having music software that I can only use on the studio machine and not take portable with me is ****ing useless. And no I'm not wanting to pay twice for the same software that I will only be using on one computer at a time. :mad:

You may want to check with someone else at Apple since other forums are reporting that you can install the software on two computers according to the EULA.

If they allowed it to be installed on only one computer they would loose a lot of business for just the reason you reported.

Dave

Reach
Sep 13, 2007, 05:36 AM
Wonderful! I was going to buy this when it came, but was a little unsure because of the price, and the fact that I won't be using it THAT much, but with this price and what seems to be a nice upgrade there's no doubt. :)

By the way, the edu-discount is not that big in the Norewgian store at least, from 3999nkr to 3590nkr.

Loge
Sep 13, 2007, 06:36 AM
I just got my upgrade copy from Kingston. :D

The license agreement states -

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-labeled desktop computer and one Apple-labeled laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you. This License does not allow the Apple Software to run on more than one computer at a time.

ANTMUZ
Sep 13, 2007, 06:42 AM
I just called Apple and they said the educational price was £289.05.

I'm a student at a university, but not one where I can access the online store through the uni's network. How do I get the full package for just £118?

A quick response will do wonders for your karma :)

You need to say you want the "higher education price". Just say your friend just bought it for £118!

ANTMUZ
Sep 13, 2007, 06:44 AM
Oops! Sorry, question already answered.

So there is no disadvantage with buying it for £118 such as not being able to upgrade?

Exactly no disadvantage. Although before you open it you may want to check it doesn't say academic or educational anywhere.

-Garry-
Sep 13, 2007, 06:59 AM
So the upgrade from Logic Express 7.2 to Logic Studio 8 is available on the US store, but shows "Unavailable" on the UK store!

I want it NOW though.

MysterMac
Sep 13, 2007, 07:17 AM
I want to pick up several copies of the upgrade from 7 for several friends who use it, from the states next week (slightly better price). Im just wondering how the upgrade works, ie does it/apple check for previous version/serial/dongle ?
Just wondering what Ill need to take with me to buy several upgrade copies. :confused:

darkpaw
Sep 13, 2007, 07:29 AM
You need to say you want the "higher education price". Just say your friend just bought it for £118!
Done! Yes!!! More Belgian Trance than you can shake a stick at, coming your way! (...joke) Only downside is that it'll take a week to get here :(

Now, if only I'd known about that Higher Education thing when I paid £000's for my G5 back in 2004. ARGH!

Peter Kim
Sep 13, 2007, 07:43 AM
After buying Logic Platinum 5 a few years ago I've actually been using Logic Express to save some money. If I were to upgrade to Logic 8 how would that process work? Would I need to reinstall Logic 5 and insert the XSkey and then install Logic 8?

Oh, and the fact they they are STILL allowing Logic 5 users to upgrade to the latest version is amazing. I bought it 4 years ago!

Cowinacape
Sep 13, 2007, 08:03 AM
Two words, WOO HOO! :D

CmdrLaForge
Sep 13, 2007, 08:18 AM

Hello guys,

I just called Apple. They sell a crossgrade from the old Express versions for Euro 300.

THATS INCREDIBLE.

But - I had the old Edu version - and that is fine as well :eek::eek::eek:

That means - you can upgrade with an old edu version to full blown Studio for Euro 300. At least in Germany.:)

CmdrLaForge
Sep 13, 2007, 08:22 AM

Usually they don't run if they are on the same network. If you just one computer at a time or both on different network there shouldn't be a problem.

headfuzz
Sep 13, 2007, 08:56 AM
I've been informed the UK price is £319 for new purchase. Details on upgrade/education discounts not available.

Although I guess the higher education discounts specifically are not as attractive as before - almost half price I think Logic Pro 7 was.

Even though we're still getting ripped off simply for being in the UK, I still did a sex wee over the pricing. :p

Plumbstone
Sep 13, 2007, 08:58 AM

Yes it is. I picked my copy (upgrade from Pro7) up from the Apple store this morning and am installing now; 8xDVDs over 40Gb of content (most of which has already been released as jampacks or soundtrack loops), about 4Kg of manuals.

I will post up more once installation is complete.

milo
Sep 13, 2007, 09:05 AM

Virtual instruments are exactly what I'm talking about. What is ironic is that I think we've reached a point where a heavy midi track is way more taxing on the machine than a heavy audio track.

A dual G5 isn't really that powerful considering the demands of the latest audio stuff. You can easily max out one with a bunch of audio instruments (even sample based) and no plugins at all.

You didn't just defend the dongle? :eek:

Apple has said no upgrades for EDU, but we won't know until someone tries it out. I believe the EDU version says it on the splash screen, may be a different dongle.

That person was mistaken. License agreement allows one desktop and one notebook install. And it works on the honor system, the only thing stopping you from installing it on more machines is your own conscience.

milo
Sep 13, 2007, 09:08 AM

That's huge. How much memory can Logic use now, 7 maxed out under 3 gigs. How much can you get Logic up to by loading huge EXS instruments? And is the memory improved while using third party sample plugins?

tecate lake
Sep 13, 2007, 09:08 AM
I was just informed via live chat on the apple store site that even upgrades to logic 7 purchased on or after Aug 1 (not just the full version) will qualify for a free upgrade to 8.