PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini vs eMac

riker1384
Sep 12, 2007, 11:24 AM
Right now they're selling discontinued refurb Core Duo Mac Mini's at $430. It gets me thinking, that might be the cheapest possible way to get a new Mac.

My current one is a 1 ghz G4 Emac, with 768 MB RAM. I was wondering how much faster the Mini would be. It seems to me like the biggest difference might be the 667mhz system bus vs 133 of the Emac.

Also, would this be a good computer for running Windows? I really could use a Windows PC for school stuff. Can I still buy a copy of Windows XP? I'm not really at a point where I have to replace the Emac, and I don't have much money to spend, but I wonder if this might be a deal that won't be seen again. (Maybe I'm wrong though, and we will see future versions also discounted like that.)

My Emac was always a little disappointing in its reponsiveness compared to Windows XP. Little things like menus were instantaneous on Windows, but not on my Mac.

lofight
Sep 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
you'll probably need to upgrade the ram too a gig for fast windows...

flopticalcube
Sep 12, 2007, 11:40 AM
Right now they're selling discontinued refurb Core Duo Mac Mini's at $430. It gets me thinking, that might be the cheapest possible way to get a new Mac.

My current one is a 1 ghz G4 Emac, with 768 MB RAM. I was wondering how much faster the Mini would be. It seems to me like the biggest difference might be the 667mhz system bus vs 133 of the Emac.

Also, would this be a good computer for running Windows? I really could use a Windows PC for school stuff. Can I still buy a copy of Windows XP? I'm not really at a point where I have to replace the Emac, and I don't have much money to spend, but I wonder if this might be a deal that won't be seen again. (Maybe I'm wrong though, and we will see future versions also discounted like that.)

My Emac was always a little disappointing in its reponsiveness compared to Windows XP. Little things like menus were instantaneous on Windows, but not on my Mac.

Although the bus speed diff is huge, the CPU difference is even bigger. Clock for clock a Core Solo is faster than a G4. The Core Duo is nearly twice as fast as a Core Solo. The mini makes a great XP machine but you really need a screen and keyboard already to make it pay.

MacHipster
Sep 12, 2007, 12:29 PM
As others have mentioned, the Mini will be much snappier and, if I'm not mistaken, can run Windows via Bootcamp. Do you have a monitor?

Naimfan
Sep 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
If you have a monitor, I'd say that'd be terrific! But if you don't, you have to factor that expense in also, not to mention a keyboard and mouse.

That said, the eMac is a great little machine. I have one for my son, who is 9.5, and he uses it for iLife, games, etc. I've got iWork coming, so he'll (hopefully) be able to use that as well. (Yes, the family pack...)

Also, if you can stretch, the store has the 1.83 GHz CD mini for $479--gets a faster processor and a Superdrive. Seems like it'd be worth the $40 difference if you can swing it.

Bob

SteveG4Cube
Sep 12, 2007, 12:43 PM
I've got an eMac 800mhz with 768mb running 10.3.9 and Virtual PC with XP. I also have a MacBook 2ghz core duo with 1gb running 10.4.9 and Boot Camp with XP. The difference is beyond night and day, not even fair to compare them. The eMac still chugs along faithfully, performs every task I ask of it, but there are plenty of times where I just walk away and come back a few minutes later to let it catch up. With the Macbook, everything is pretty much instant. If you make the jump, you won't regret it. Only do it if/when you're ready though, not because of a "deal". There's ALWAYS another deal on a refurb right around the corner.

riker1384
Sep 12, 2007, 01:05 PM
I have the Apple keyboard and one-button mouse, but no monitor. I've never had an LCD monitor before.

ziwi
Sep 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
If you have a monitor, I'd say that'd be terrific! But if you don't, you have to factor that expense in also, not to mention a keyboard and mouse.

That said, the eMac is a great little machine. I have one for my son, who is 9.5, and he uses it for iLife, games, etc. I've got iWork coming, so he'll (hopefully) be able to use that as well. (Yes, the family pack...)

Also, if you can stretch, the store has the 1.83 GHz CD mini for $479--gets a faster processor and a Superdrive. Seems like it'd be worth the $40 difference if you can swing it.

Bob

But now you are incing closer to the low core 2 Duo model - is the performance gain on that with the 1GB ram and improved integrated video worth the extra $100?

Naimfan
Sep 12, 2007, 01:21 PM
That's a valid point on the low end C2D Mini.

However, the 1.83 CD has a superdrive, and the $599 Mini only has a combo. So if that matters......

Besides, he said he has little money, and it sounds like the 1.83 GHz might be a reach, so I'd think the entry C2D model would be out, especially since he would have to get a monitor......

Bob

Yvan256
Sep 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
Just remember that you can connect almost any old used CRT VGA monitor, no need to buy a brand-new, expensive LCD monitor. Since everybody's been switching to LCD, you should be able to get a nice 19" CRT for about 40$. Simply call your local computer stores to see if they have any for sale, or check the local ads. The shipping costs of something as big and heavy as a CRT would be equal if not bigger to the cost of the monitor itself.

And if you need a mount to install your Mac mini under your desk, just contact me. ;)