PDA

View Full Version : Design inspiration for G5...

jMc
Aug 18, 2003, 04:10 AM
Hmmm, I was watching the film 'Frequency' last night and was struck by the similarity between the design of the ham radio kit featured in the film and the design of the new G5... Here's a couple of pics-

http://www.rigpix.com/heathkit/sb301.htm

http://www.dxing.com/rx/sb301.htm

Whadya think?

jx

uhlawboi80
Aug 18, 2003, 04:39 AM
possibly...but i have a feeling it wasnt the inspiration as much as the solution that had just been around.

those old transistors got hot so you had a well ventilated case. the G5 gets hot, so they use a similarly ventilated case:cool:

The Shadow
Aug 18, 2003, 06:36 AM
Hahaha!

You crack me up, man!:D

I actually don't see any resemblance at all, but you made me laugh out loud, so thanks!

jzieske
Aug 18, 2003, 07:34 AM
Sorry but I am gonna have to go with:
NO

jrv3034
Aug 18, 2003, 07:36 AM
The G5 case definitely has a retro look. And it DOES look thike these photos. :D Nice find, jMc.

iGav
Aug 18, 2003, 07:45 AM
I can see the similarity certainly, the venting obviously, but also the curvature of the form.

if you look at the SB-301 (particularly on the right hand side) it shares similarities in form to the front top section of the G5.

Personally when I first saw the G5, I immediately thought of the memory room for HAL in 2001, where Bowman begins to disconnect HAL's higher AI capabilities, the minimal metal look I think certainly played an influence, a similar aesthetic occurs in Apple's server range as well.

saint
Aug 18, 2003, 08:37 AM
Watch out, Apple.

Here comes a lawsuit...

:)

patrick0brien
Aug 18, 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by uhlawboi80
those old transistors got hot so you had a well ventilated case. the G5 gets hot, so they use a similarly ventilated case:cool:

-uhlawboi80

Absolutely right. However, there is one key difference. The G5 has more than 58-116million more transistors.

Boy. That puts it in perspective.

KC9AIC
Feb 15, 2004, 07:59 AM
I have operated rigs like these, and I would say I'd rather stick with my Japanese solid state gear and have a G5 that looks like one!:D

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 15, 2004, 09:01 AM
there is a resemblence , i will admit i was a little disappointed at first seeing the new tower. it does look better in person but its still too big for me. It just has never brought out any emotion or feeling in me. imacs/cube and quicksilver all look so much cooler.
guess there was no other way when are looking to cool 2 50 watt cpu's. 970fx is so badly needed.