Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmack549

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
If you're going to advertise your own site, don't try to hide it :rolleyes:

It's not my site? I'm just trying to get people to join so it will be all people with Touch's...I mean, I'll take credit for it, if that will get more people coming.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
they should just make a touch forum here...it only takes a minute to make.

Yeah, that's one thing I never really understood here. The computers are broken down into simple Desktop (iMac/mini/Pro/PowerMac) and Laptop (MacBook/Pro/PowerBook/iBook). The iPod (hardware) and iTunes (software) are lumped together in one forum. Then there's the iPhone, with 5 separate forums!

I think each product should get its own forum. There should be "groups" (for lack of a better term - I'm not sure what the forum software refers to them as) for Desktop, Laptop, iPod, etc, then forums under each group for each product (so the Laptop group could be broken down to MacBook, MacBook Pro, PowerBook, iBook). The iPod group could be broken down to each line, Shuffle, mini, nano, classic, touch, and maybe the iPhone could go in there too.

You could also argue the touch/iPhone could be grouped together, separate from the other iPods.

I really don't get why this group is iPod and iTunes discussion - they should definitely be broken up.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, that's one thing I never really understood here. The computers are broken down into simple Desktop (iMac/mini/Pro/PowerMac) and Laptop (MacBook/Pro/PowerBook/iBook). The iPod (hardware) and iTunes (software) are lumped together in one forum. Then there's the iPhone, with 5 separate forums!

I think each product should get its own forum. There should be "groups" (for lack of a better term - I'm not sure what the forum software refers to them as) for Desktop, Laptop, iPod, etc, then forums under each group for each product (so the Laptop group could be broken down to MacBook, MacBook Pro, PowerBook, iBook). The iPod group could be broken down to each line, Shuffle, mini, nano, classic, touch, and maybe the iPhone could go in there too.

You could also argue the touch/iPhone could be grouped together, separate from the other iPods.

I really don't get why this group is iPod and iTunes discussion - they should definitely be broken up.

One concern when running a forum is that if you split up forums too much, the communities will fragment and there won't be as much colaboration/chat/etc.

I can see why they keep iPod/iTunes together, BUT the touch is a whole different ball game that will come with a whole slew of new topics that are 100% unrelated to the other iPods.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
One concern when running a forum is that if you split up forums too much, the communities will fragment and there won't be as much colaboration/chat/etc.

I can see why they keep iPod/iTunes together, BUT the touch is a whole different ball game that will come with a whole slew of new topics that are 100% unrelated to the other iPods.

Yeah, I can understand not wanting to split it up too much - but how does that explain the 5 iPhone groups? :p

My rationale for splitting them up is this - I picked up a mini, to use for an HTPC. Since we just have the Desktop forum, finding anything related to the mini is a bit of a pain (sure, you can search, but the search might miss something). If there was a mini specific forum, you could just browse the topics, and know each thread is about the mini.

Yeah, the touch is a whole new ball game, it's more iPhone than iPod, and should probably be grouped accordingly.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, I can understand not wanting to split it up too much - but how does that explain the 5 iPhone groups? :p

My rationale for splitting them up is this - I picked up a mini, to use for an HTPC. Since we just have the Desktop forum, finding anything related to the mini is a bit of a pain (sure, you can search, but the search might miss something). If there was a mini specific forum, you could just browse the topics, and know each thread is about the mini.

Yeah, the touch is a whole new ball game, it's more iPhone than iPod, and should probably be grouped accordingly.

I agree with everything you said :)

Again, if you haven't posted your support in the thread I linked to above, you should :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.