PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch and going on Planes?

AFKMatrix
Sep 12, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hi,

I am very interested in the Ipod Touch and it will be my first Ipod :D Only thing I would like to know is if there is a plane mode for the Touch? As I belive that you can't use WiFi on planes, so does anyone know if you can turn this off on the Touch or am I wrong and WiFi is allowed on planes?

Loge
Sep 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
You can definitely turn the Wi-Fi off, which you would usually want to do when not using it to preserve battery.

aethelbert
Sep 12, 2007, 09:39 PM
I work in the airline industry and you can use wi-fi on planes. In fact, on the airline I work for (Lufthansa), they have wifi service available. There shouldn't be a problem with it either on or off.

MattyMac
Sep 12, 2007, 09:47 PM
Since the touch has wifi...I'm sure apple will include an airplane mode similar to that of the iPhone. I was pretty excited to use that feature when I recently went to Disney World in August. I don't get to fly very often.

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 09:49 PM
There is an Airplane mode in Settings ;)

robo74
Sep 12, 2007, 09:57 PM
I also work in the industry and would kinda have to disagree with you.
It all depends on the airline your flying on. Each airline has its own policy at the moment. The FCC it trying to make a general policy, but nothing has been done so far.
The biggest problem we face is that its not the flight/inflight crews job to identify and know all these products. Lets face it, there is alot out there.
I recall one flight where I was using my Windows based phone (in flight mode) The FA got pretty rude with me and told me to turn it off, no phones allowed.
I tried to prove my point, but as a employee, I cant put up much of a fight.

My fear is, I get the touch, and then get on some flights where the FA's know what a iPhone is and looks like. Then tell me I cant use it. They look very much alike, cant really argue too much.

Hopefully we get some sort of FCC ruling soon, where all airlines follow the same.

Rob

macchappy
Sep 12, 2007, 11:34 PM
I also work in the industry and would kinda have to disagree with you.
It all depends on the airline your flying on. Each airline has its own policy at the moment. The FCC it trying to make a general policy, but nothing has been done so far.
The biggest problem we face is that its not the flight/inflight crews job to identify and know all these products. Lets face it, there is alot out there.
I recall one flight where I was using my Windows based phone (in flight mode) The FA got pretty rude with me and told me to turn it off, no phones allowed.
I tried to prove my point, but as a employee, I cant put up much of a fight.

My fear is, I get the touch, and then get on some flights where the FA's know what a iPhone is and looks like. Then tell me I cant use it. They look very much alike, cant really argue too much.

Hopefully we get some sort of FCC ruling soon, where all airlines follow the same.

Rob

I think that in that case, you'd show the attendant that the back of the iPod says "iPod", not "iPhone", or you could show him that on the main menu, there's no phone on it.

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
I think that in that case, you'd show the attendant that the back of the iPod says "iPod", not "iPhone", or you could show him that on the main menu, there's no phone on it.

Or show them you have airplane mode enabled.

astrostu
Sep 12, 2007, 11:39 PM

I was going to say show 'em there's no speaker or place to talk into it, but those other two should work well, too. Assuming the flight attendant is reasonable.

sblasl
Sep 12, 2007, 11:41 PM
FA don't have alot of time to review each and every passengers electronic device to verify if it is one thing or another. The quickest way to get your ass tossed off of a flight is to start engaging with a member of the flight crew. If they tell you to do something you better do it.

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 11:46 PM
FA don't have alot of time to review each and every passengers electronic device to verify if it is one thing or another. The quickest way to get your ass tossed off of a flight is to start engaging with a member of the flight crew. If they tell you to do something you better do it.

The FA's are not out to get you...

I have NEVER had a problem with an electronic device on an airplane...

Usually I wait until after take off to pull out anything.. That way I don't get yelled at for having "loose items" out.

ilikecake
Sep 12, 2007, 11:58 PM
This is purely nitpicking over terminology, but there is no 'airplane' or 'flight' mode on the iPod Touch, but there is a handy 'Wifi On/Off' setting like pretty much any other wifi device.

It's not like there are any other signals (ie GSM) which requires a specific 'airplane' mode.

Cloudsurfer
Sep 13, 2007, 04:26 AM
I'm an aircraft technician, and I can safely say that the WiFi won't pose any threat to the aircraft whatsoever. It's merely a precaution, and besides, you wouldn't be able to use it anyway. There's no hotspot on an airplane.

Sir. Cheesecake
Sep 13, 2007, 09:09 AM
I'm an aircraft technician, and I can safely say that the WiFi won't pose any threat to the aircraft whatsoever. It's merely a precaution, and besides, you wouldn't be able to use it anyway. There's no hotspot on an airplane.

QFT. The whole wireless signals turned off thing is merely a precaution. The most that a cell phone(gsm of course) could do is cause a little buzzing in the pilots headset. Annoying but not dangerous. I saw a passenger get yelled at by an FA for having a blackberry out even though it was in airplane mode. SO it really depends on the FA.

robo74
Sep 13, 2007, 09:18 AM
Thats all I was pointing out, is that there are many devices out there, and the crew does not know them all.

Also have to agree with getting tossed out, want a quick way off the plane....argue with a crew member.

On an off topic note, since we have a few industry members here, just want to throw out my shout out for Air Wisconsin!

Rob

jonnylink
Sep 13, 2007, 09:40 AM
Also have to agree with getting tossed out, want a quick way off the plane....argue with a crew member.
But no one is supposed to take out electronic devices until after you're in the air ...I hope I'll get a parachute at least!

matttrick
Sep 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
QFT. The whole wireless signals turned off thing is merely a precaution. The most that a cell phone(gsm of course) could do is cause a little buzzing in the pilots headset. Annoying but not dangerous. I saw a passenger get yelled at by an FA for having a blackberry out even though it was in airplane mode. SO it really depends on the FA.

psh not really. i saw on mythbusters where they tested phones and they do indeed impact the navigational equipment while in flight. of course distance to the equipment probably matters alot, but to say it is a non issue is wrong.

wakerider017
Sep 13, 2007, 11:05 AM
psh not really. i saw on mythbusters where they tested phones and they do indeed impact the navigational equipment while in flight. of course distance to the equipment probably matters alot, but to say it is a non issue is wrong.

Wasn't that with extremely old equipment on the plane?

matttrick
Sep 13, 2007, 11:17 AM
Wasn't that with extremely old equipment on the plane?

i dont think so. im just saying to say its a total non issue is kind of misleading.

Cloudsurfer
Sep 13, 2007, 12:34 PM

The problem is that the FA's don't know any better than what they're tought in class. They only know so much about flight and the aircraft's electrical systems. I can't really blame them for yelling at a passenger for that reason, but I personally never ever turn my phone off whenever I'm flying or inside the aircraft. I know plenty of pilots who don't bother with that anymore, either.

I haven't seen this episode of MB, but I can assure you that in today's aircraft mobile phones and other electronic devices don't pose any significant threat to flight safety. Aircraft of today are very much shielded against these interferences from both outside systems such as your mobile phone, to integrated systems inside the aircraft itself. As I said, the rule is much more of a precaution these days than an actual mesurement for safe flight. It also gives the general passenger a better sense of safety, I guess.

wakerider017
Sep 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
i dont think so. im just saying to say its a total non issue is kind of misleading.

I may be wrong, but I thought that myth was busted...

That no electrical devices were able to interfere with the plane. I dunno.

astrostu
Sep 13, 2007, 12:44 PM
I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode (season 10) where the family is going to Japan. Bart is playing his Gameboy, and the flight attendant asks him to turn it off. He says something along the lines of, "You're the stewardess," shuts it off, and we are taken to a scene outside the plane where it starts to plummet. You hear the flight attendant yelling, "Turn it on! Turn it on!"

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, if all you had to do to crash an airplane was turn on your cell phone, then terrorism would be easier then ever!

"Unless the US released XXXXXXX prisonor from YYYYYYY jail, I will call my mother"

PygmySurfer
Sep 13, 2007, 02:13 PM
Think of how many flights there are in the US every day. Then multiply that by the number of passengers on these flights. What're the chances of someone leaving their cell phone on? Now, how many plane crashes can be attributed to cell phone interference?

If cell phones really did interfere with navigational equipment, we would probably see planes going down monthly, in a best case scenario.

One reason I read (can't remember where) that they want you to keep cell phones off is because it causes problems with the cellular networks. Normally, a phone is in range with 6 or so towers, but when you're on a plane, the range of your phone is increased, and you're suddenly talking to thousands of towers.

I think the best reason not to allow phones on planes is so I don't have to listen to the jackass next to me yammering on for my entire flight, though. I really hope they don't change the rules to allow phones on planes.

aidanpendragon
Sep 13, 2007, 02:37 PM
I think the best reason not to allow phones on planes is so I don't have to listen to the jackass next to me yammering on for my entire flight, though. I really hope they don't change the rules to allow phones on planes.

Amen.

Was just on a flight where the guy next to me proceeded to run a video on his iPod well, well after the "turn off all devices" announcement (into taxiing). After at least two flight attendants passed by without comment, I called one over, who remained oblivious. So, guess it doesn't screw things up so badly that they couldn't prepare for takeoff. BUT have your seat back a half-inch, and watch out!

Cloudsurfer
Sep 13, 2007, 03:17 PM
Don't worry about the guy next to you making calls for the entire flight: there is no reception at cruise altitude.

The seat issue is much more important, because the person behind you needs to be able to duck in case of a crash landing.