PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch 8 or 16 GB?

actore116
Sep 12, 2007, 07:42 PM
I can't decide what to get an 8 or 16 G. What do you think?

NotFound
Sep 12, 2007, 07:44 PM
16GB of course, silly.:rolleyes:

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 12, 2007, 07:56 PM

That's a ridiculous question. Give us some info. Tell us the pros and cons of YOUR situation. For example my mom would be happy with a 2GB iPod touch, but I could survive with the 16GB, and I would be more than happy with 32GB. In the end the decision is yours and yours alone, posting in a forum isn't going to help you.

Anyway, if you currently have more than 6GB of music then you may want to lean toward the 16, or just get good at making smart playlists and grab the 8GB.

nlivo
Sep 12, 2007, 08:04 PM
i think the choice between the 8gb and 16gb touch is the same choice iphone users did when deciding between the 4gb and 8gb....which is, if you're going to spend that much on a device you may aswell go for the top-end model. Well, thats what i do, plus i've always got to have the best :D !!!! Go the 16gb, i am.

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 08:17 PM
I went 8GB.

95% of the time the iPod will be used where there is WiFi.. So if I really wanted I could throw a movie on my Home Server.

I am a college kid, and a 100 bucks is a lot of money for me. :D

rmh
Sep 12, 2007, 08:51 PM

Same here.

topher
Sep 12, 2007, 09:14 PM
I made a mistake when buying a 2GB nano instead of the 4GB version.

In the end, I just go through my music too fast. I have to resync everyday, and if I go a couple of days without listening to my podcasts, suddenly there might be too many podcasts for the amount of space that I have available.

8GB might be ok if you don't mind spending more time in iTunes, but I fantasize about going two whole days without syncing and still having fresh music to listen to...

So, in the end, I think the biggest factor is not "will all your music fit on an 8GB ipod?" The biggest factor is how fast you will get bored with 8GB of media. You're only talking about approx. 1000 songs plus 1-2 movies and a few video podcasts before you start bumping into the top of your storage capacity. How long will that last you?

Adokimus
Sep 12, 2007, 09:25 PM
I went 8GB.

95% of the time the iPod will be used where there is WiFi.. So if I really wanted I could throw a movie on my Home Server.

Um... would that really be possible given the connection speed?

(I'm being serious this time, not sarcastic)

taytho
Sep 12, 2007, 09:31 PM

ditto...... i gotta agree with this one..... 100 bucks is a lot, but regret sucks bad.

m-dogg
Sep 12, 2007, 09:32 PM
I ordered a 16 GB myself...but I have 45 GB of music and 10 GB of photos. Heck, I wish they dropped the 160 GB HDD into the touch!

Remember, video will be nice on this, and it takes up a lot of space!

jsw
Sep 12, 2007, 09:34 PM
Um... would that really be possible given the connection speed?

(I'm being serious this time, not sarcastic)
Yup. You can get pretty decent quality for well under 1000 kbps, which is below what you'd have with even a remotely decent wireless connection.

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 09:48 PM
I made a mistake when buying a 2GB nano instead of the 4GB version.

In the end, I just go through my music too fast. I have to resync everyday, and if I go a couple of days without listening to my podcasts, suddenly there might be too many podcasts for the amount of space that I have available.

8GB might be ok if you don't mind spending more time in iTunes, but I fantasize about going two whole days without syncing and still having fresh music to listen to...

So, in the end, I think the biggest factor is not "will all your music fit on an 8GB ipod?" The biggest factor is how fast you will get bored with 8GB of media. You're only talking about approx. 1000 songs plus 1-2 movies and a few video podcasts before you start bumping into the top of your storage capacity. How long will that last you?

Well 1000 songs is about 2-3 days of STRAIGHT music. In addition to those 1000 songs you will be able to fit about 3-4 full length movies. (Another 6-8 hours worth of media)

All together you can expect 3-4 days straight worth of STUFF.

It would take me a couple weeks to get though all that music and probably 1-2 weeks to watch those films...

In that time period I will have my iPod connected to my Mac MULTIPLE times to charge the battery.

Not really that hard for me to sync a new playlist if I want to. There is no need for me to carry my entire library in my pocket. I couldn't possibly listen to it all in one day or even a week for that matter.

Rapmastac1
Sep 12, 2007, 11:57 PM
I just recently switched my order from an 8 gig after making the bid decision to get the 16g. This is gonna be like the last ipod I get for a long time (getting into college soon) and I figured I might as well go with double the space for one third (fourth?) of the price. And I just figured out how to get my dvd's (ones that I OWN of course) to my computer and encode them, i love this over the itunes purchase becuase I can encode them for a file to watch on my bigger screen, and then encode a smaller file version for the ipod touch. After I figured that out, I knew I would need more space.

So really it depends on wut you do, do you like a lot of music (i do, but my library of 460 songs only takes up 1.5gigs) or do you like a lot of videos, and i don't know very many people that have over 2 gigs worth of pics, I think I have about 1 gig's worth on my computer, but I wouldn't want all of them on my pod.

So it really just depends on wut ur using it for and how ur cash flow triangle works for you. All we can do is tell you why we got what we got. But if it were up to me, I would tell you just to go to the top and get the 16 gig (remember, it will actually be a little under 15 gigs while the 8gig one will actually be just under 7 gigs)

iMJustAGuy
Sep 13, 2007, 09:15 AM

well thats a silly question, 16 of course, but (like me) i had to base it on what i could afford which is the 8 gb :( o well..:)

Alicia4065
Sep 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
8gb for me save the hundred bucks and add to it for when apple release something bigger than 16gb.

OrangeCuse44
Sep 13, 2007, 09:37 AM

This is why i think we will see a 32gb version sooner than many expect. Its going to be the same thing that the iPhone went through. So many more people opting for the 8gig iPhone and now so many more (seemingly) opting for the 16gig touch. Yeah yeah i know the $500 price tag of a 32gig flash stick.

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 09:44 AM
I'll probably get the 16gb for 2 (or so) reasons:

1. my friends have been rubbing in the fact that they all have iPhones for a while. Now I get to rub in the fact that I have the majority of the functionality PLUS twice the space in a smaller package, and it cost me 200 dollars less then their phones ;)

2. In reality though, I can probably keep my itunes library down to 6-8 gigs or so. I have countless gigs apon gigs of music (probably around 300gb or so), but I only keep the music I really listen to in iTunes. In fact, I normally listen to 1 or 2 songs on repeat for about a week straight, then move onto something different.

3. I'd like a gb or so of photos, and 3 or 4 gb of video, and another gb or two of video/audio podcasts. I really like podcasts, but they can take up a LOT of space.

100 bucks is a lot, but the larger 16gb will also most likly be easier to resell in the future. I'm sure in a year or so I'll be ready for something new ;)

~Shard~
Sep 13, 2007, 09:50 AM
If you are planning on just having music on the iPod I'd say 8GB would be plenty, but once you start throwing on pictures and movies, I think you'll find that 8GB fills up fairly quickly (especially since your actual usable capacity after formatting is less to begin with.)

Personally I am waiting until next year for the 32GB iPod touch - that will be the sweet spot in terms of storage for my needs at least. :cool:

wakerider017
Sep 13, 2007, 10:25 AM
I just recently switched my order from an 8 gig after making the bid decision to get the 16g. This is gonna be like the last ipod I get for a long time (getting into college soon) and I figured I might as well go with double the space for one third (fourth?) of the price. And I just figured out how to get my dvd's (ones that I OWN of course) to my computer and encode them, i love this over the itunes purchase becuase I can encode them for a file to watch on my bigger screen, and then encode a smaller file version for the ipod touch. After I figured that out, I knew I would need more space.

So really it depends on wut you do, do you like a lot of music (i do, but my library of 460 songs only takes up 1.5gigs) or do you like a lot of videos, and i don't know very many people that have over 2 gigs worth of pics, I think I have about 1 gig's worth on my computer, but I wouldn't want all of them on my pod.

So it really just depends on wut ur using it for and how ur cash flow triangle works for you. All we can do is tell you why we got what we got. But if it were up to me, I would tell you just to go to the top and get the 16 gig (remember, it will actually be a little under 15 gigs while the 8gig one will actually be just under 7 gigs)

I hope English is your 2nd language. That was damn near impossible to read.

The 8GB actually has over 7GB of usable space while the 16GB has over 14GB of usable space

If you are planning on just having music on the iPod I'd say 8GB would be plenty, but once you start throwing on pictures and movies, I think you'll find that 8GB fills up fairly quickly (especially since your actual usable capacity after formatting is less to begin with.)

Personally I am waiting until next year for the 32GB iPod touch - that will be the sweet spot in terms of storage for my needs at least. :cool:

Movies don't take up as much space as you might think...

Here are some movies I encoded using Handbrake. All are 480X320 and 960kbps bitrate using the h.264 encoder.

5 videos (8.4 hours) takes up 3.88 gigs. Of course you could get them a LOT smaller if you did not want the super high quality settings like me.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/410/picture1iw5.png

~Shard~
Sep 13, 2007, 10:44 AM
Movies don't take up as much space as you might think...

Here are some movies I encoded using Handbrake. All are 480X320 and 960kbps bitrate using the h.264 encoder.

5 videos (8.4 hours) takes up 3.88 gigs. Of course you could get them a LOT smaller if you did not want the super high quality settings like me.

That's not actually that bad. Still, throw on 5GB of music, 1GB of photos, 4GB of movies and you'll fill up that capacity quite quickly. Of course everyone has different sized libraries and philosophies on how mch content they like to store on their iPod, so it really comes down to the individual. As I said, for myself, 32GB will be perfect. For now. :p ;) :cool:

animenick65
Sep 13, 2007, 10:51 AM
I personally think that 8gb would be too small for me and 16gb is just right. Considering you get double the storage for only $100 more then I'd go for it. I believe that 90% of the IPod Touch's they sell will be 16gb. Everyone's complaining 16gb is too small. They don't realize the huge price increase that would come with using 32gb worth of flash chips. Nevermind the fact that I think this will put people more in touch with their music. Some of us are so used to having EVERY song on our iPods and I believe it throws us out of touch with the really great music we have in our libraries. Having a smaller space will challenge us to put the best stuff on our devices. I know having the 1gb shuffle really made me think about what kinds of music I really WANT with me at all times.

wakerider017
Sep 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
That's not actually that bad. Still, throw on 5GB of music, 1GB of photos, 4GB of movies and you'll fill up that capacity quite quickly. Of course everyone has different sized libraries and philosophies on how mch content they like to store on their iPod, so it really cxomes down to the individual. As I said, for myself, 32GB will be perfect. For now. :p ;) :cool:

Ya everyone has their own needs. I completely understand someone needing more space, and I am not saying the 8GB is for everyone.

I am on my computer so much so it is really easy for me to sync new content.

I don't think I will put too many photos on my iPod though. Maybe a few special ones. The rest can bee seen on my website :) Thats the beauty of a WiFi iPod

Additionally I think I will be on Safari more then I use the actual Music/Video features ;) I am one of those "poor" kids at college with no laptop.

aidanpendragon
Sep 13, 2007, 11:08 AM
It's primarily a video player (not an Internet swiss army knife, as some might argue) - so get it with enough space for video, 16GB.

This whole "I'll just watch it over Wifi" seems premature - moreover, what about on airplanes, other travel, etc.?

FURTHER POINT: Assume you can turn on & off the Wifi. Wifi will eat power. So, if you rely on streaming over Wifi for most of your video, your battery life won't even make it to 5 hrs. of playback, unless you have the thing plugged in & charging everywhere.

Additionally I think I will be on Safari more then I use the actual Music/Video features ;) I am one of those "poor" kids at college with no laptop.

I respect your needs may differ - but I just don't get using a Touch primarily as an Internet device. If you're on a college campus, generally there's a profusion of free computers everywhere. Sure, the Touch screen is nice, but for heavy web use?

Plan B - get a 4GB iPhone. They're on sale, sounds like you don't need the 8GB, and they have many more communications options (incl. note-taking as a laptop "substitute"). Use the 999 SSN spoof or wait for upcoming unlock software to use it without a phone contract. Sounds like you want an "iPod without the Pod" - iPhone does that.

Plan C - Try eBay for Mac or (shudder) PC laptops at $299 or less. White iBooks may be in that range and give you perfectly decent web & other access.

~Shard~
Sep 13, 2007, 11:10 AM
FURTHER POINT: Assume you can turn on & off the Wifi. Wifi will eat power. So, if you rely on streaming over Wifi for most of your video, your battery life won't even make it to 5 hrs. of playback, unless you have the thing plugged in & charging everywhere.

Good point - it will be interesting to see some stats on battery performance wrt wifi usage with these units.

wakerider017
Sep 13, 2007, 11:17 AM
It's primarily a video player (not an Internet swiss army knife, as some might argue) - so get it with enough space for video, 16GB.

LOL, Who made you the authority?

Apple's biggest selling on this iPod is that is can use WiFi. It can use Youtube, ITMS, and best of all Safari

Additionally if you are using your iPod WiFi more than 5 hours a day you have too much free time on your hands.

aidanpendragon
Sep 13, 2007, 11:31 AM
LOL, Who made you the authority?

Apple's biggest selling on this iPod is that is can use WiFi. It can use Youtube, ITMS, and best of all Safari

See my edit. I respect your opinion and needs, but don't agree that the biggest selling point for this is Wifi (or more specifically, Internet). I want a widescreen portable video player. It's also nice to have the cool touchscreen. But everything else is just icing. I - and many, many others - would buy the thing regardless.

Additionally if you are using your iPod WiFi more than 5 hours a day you have too much free time on your hands.

You miss the point. You (specifically) said, "I only need 8GB since I'll be around Wifi everywhere and stream video." Now, Apple says you get 5 hrs. video playback, normally. That doesn't include running the Wifi full-blast to stream video! I have no idea how much that will impact battery life, but it probably will. So, it's less (a lot? a little?) than 5 hours. On the wild chance that you don't/can't charge it continually, this could catch up to you, maybe even in 1 day if you want to watch multiple things.