Sep 13, 2007, 05:48 AM
3G iPhones for Europe

OR

Beattles

OR

New iPod touch socks!

Applespider
Sep 13, 2007, 05:48 AM
Hopefully this means that 'hello' is the word...

And just as my upgrade is due :D so I can make a call :o on whether to go iPhone or go with a free new SE/Nokia

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 05:52 AM
Finallyyyyyyyyy

Ive been sitting on my upgrade for 8 months since the iPhone announcement. Im ready to buy, day 1.

mcmadhatter
Sep 13, 2007, 05:54 AM
Maybe they are releasing a G5 powerbook on Tuesday, complete with a free Beatles album download from iTunes? LOL

shadowmoses
Sep 13, 2007, 06:00 AM
~Nice 100% iPhone announcement. I'm gonna be there, see you guys next Thursday.....Hopefully by then I will have my unlocked iPhone to roll in with haha

TheChillPill
Sep 13, 2007, 06:01 AM
Finally!

This must be iPhone related, Apple will be more than aware that everyone will speculate it as an iPhone announcement and the lack of such an announcement would be bad press (i.e highlight the fact that we're still waiting for it, despite the US having it for months already).

I have a feeling Beatles will be a MWSF announcement - they'll aim to lock out the Top spots on the UK charts when they are finally added, and what better way than to do so when more people have iPhones/iPods after the holiday season.

cwedl
Sep 13, 2007, 06:03 AM
3G iPhones for Europe

OR

Beattles

OR

New iPod touch socks!

3g iphones or edge iphones if its true that o2 had upgraded their networks.
Beatles - I doubt it, they should be added on, no one cares! you can buy the albums cheaper than what itunes could offer, just rip and upload to the iPod!

New iPod touch Socks! one can only dream... ;)

TBi
Sep 13, 2007, 06:03 AM
Knowing apple they will give us the EDGE iPhone and not 3G. It will sell well enough but not as well as a 3G iPhone.

People will moan and complain as they stand at the till with their credit cards out. They'll also be moaning and complaining as they go through the online ordering system for it. Then they'll be moaning and complaining while they are pinching safari on their brand new 2.5 iPhone.

In other words, they'll complain but still buy it in droves.

However, the majority of people (bar us folk) don't care about 3G. They just want the coolest new phone on the planet, which is of course the iPhone. It will be a fashion statement. They'll be so amazed by the fact they can use google maps that they won't even think about how bloody slow it is.

Eric Lewis
Sep 13, 2007, 06:16 AM
New iPod touch socks!

YES! there is going to be a huge annoucement on iPod Socks

1) Cheaper! 19.99USD( thats 10 dollars!)
2) New ones just for Touch/iPhone that have a softer inside
3) Ones for the 3G Nano
4) 2 color packs (theres the bright colors and kinda dull ones)

And there is one more thing!

Each iPod/iPhone will ship with a grey iPod Sock!

OMG I CANT WAIT!

ANTMUZ
Sep 13, 2007, 06:26 AM
Well if it's 3G and 16GB I'm in there. Otherwise I'm holding off till next year.

CD3660
Sep 13, 2007, 06:26 AM
Another story on the same subject:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/09/13/uk_iphone_set_for_launch_on_tuesday.html

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 06:36 AM
Hopefully O2 get their **** together when it comes to data plans. I think its about £10 a month for 20MB at the moment. Embarrassing. If they dont sort it, I will unlock the iPhone and use it with T Mobiles Web N Walk

edesignuk
Sep 13, 2007, 06:38 AM
Hopefully O2 get their **** together when it comes to data plans. I think its about £10 a month for 20MB at the moment. Embarrassing. If they dont sort it, I will unlock the iPhone and use it with T Mobiles Web N WalkT-Mobile (AFAIK) don't have EDGE. You'd be stuck with GPRS* which is just completely unbearable.

*Assuming we don't get a full on 3G iPhone.

Leemo
Sep 13, 2007, 06:39 AM
Hopefully O2 get their **** together when it comes to data plans. I think its about £10 a month for 20MB at the moment. Embarrassing. If they dont sort it, I will unlock the iPhone and use it with T Mobiles Web N Walk

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that there'll be some sort of unlimited data deal - there's no way Apple would allow there not to be.

-Leemo

BoyBach
Sep 13, 2007, 06:50 AM
It's got to be iPhone related. Hasn't it?

CD3660
Sep 13, 2007, 06:51 AM
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that there'll be some sort of unlimited data deal - there's no way Apple would allow there not to be.

Hope so!

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 06:51 AM
T-Mobile (AFAIK) don't have EDGE. You'd be stuck with GPRS* which is just completely unbearable.

*Assuming we don't get a full on 3G iPhone.

Ah... I mistook them for Orange.

Piarco
Sep 13, 2007, 06:58 AM
Hopefully there will be a quicker roll out than the lengthy wait in the States... we've heard all of the hype, read the reviews so a quick release would be great... within a month from the announcement hopefully...

Owb1
Sep 13, 2007, 06:58 AM

-Leemo

From what o2 told me this morning there will be a new data tarrif out by the end of September, something along the lines of 3gig for £7.50.

There where other options available too but she didn't go into detail too much.

;)

edesignuk
Sep 13, 2007, 07:00 AM
I'm just keen to see what they are going to charge. By rights it should be £200, but of course it won't be. Just how much will we be ripped off?

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 07:02 AM
From what o2 told me this morning there will be a new data tarrif out by the end of September, something along the lines of 3gig for £7.50.

There where other options available too but she didn't go into detail too much.

;)

Thats reasonable. Id pay that. Very little chance of me burning 3gb of data on a phone with EDGE that has no download capabilities.

I'm just keen to see what they are going to charge. By rights it should be £200, but of course it won't be. Just how much will we be ripped off?

iPhone in the States - $399
iPod Touch 16GB in the States - $399
iPod Touch 16GB in the UK - £269

So I am going to shoot for £250.

Southern
Sep 13, 2007, 07:02 AM

Hehe, well, if you're bothered by getting shafted, just wait a few months until the updated version of the iPhone is released.

I am already looking at swapping shifts to see if i can get over to Regents Street (I work in Kensington, just round the corner) in time for the announcement.

liketom
Sep 13, 2007, 07:03 AM

just had an e-mail from my dodgy mate who say's he can pick up the USA version for £240

so i would thing £249-299 for us brits :)

MacRumorUser
Sep 13, 2007, 07:04 AM
£269 uk €399 Euro ? 8 or 16 is the big question :)

gikku
Sep 13, 2007, 07:05 AM
a quick release would be great... within a month from the announcement hopefully...

"...and they're available TODAY!" are the words we want.

edesignuk
Sep 13, 2007, 07:05 AM
So I am going to shoot for £250.That was my guess too (chatting about it with my other half yesterday). Although it's still more than it should be I think I'd be happy with that. If they try and pull £300 they can **** off.

MacRumors
Sep 13, 2007, 07:10 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Macworld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?NewsID=19087) reports that Apple has invited UK media to a special event at the London Apple Store on Regents Street next week.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/09/13/mumsnolongertheword_300.gif

The invitation states "Mum is no longer the word" and invites media to a press conference on Tuesday, September 18th at 10am.

Macworld.co.uk speculates that this could be an announcement for the European iPhone launch or possibly UK iTunes content.

Apple had previously said that they plan on announcing details about the European iPhone launch by the end of this month,

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/13/apple-uk-special-event-september-18th-2007/)

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 07:11 AM
That was my guess too (chatting about it with my other half yesterday). Although it's still more than it should be I think I'd be happy with that. If they try and pull £300 they can **** off.

The fanboy in me will ultimately stump up the £300 if it came out at that price.

:(

Piarco
Sep 13, 2007, 07:12 AM

Exactly the same logic I've been using over the price. A lot better since the price cut in the States as I was definitely expecting a £350 iPhone...

That was my guess too (chatting about it with my other half yesterday). Although it's still more than it should be I think I'd be happy with that. If they try and pull £300 they can **** off.

I wish I had the resolve to stick to that, but I'm a weak, weak man so I'd end up paying for it :o

I've been tempted by some 8GB iPhones from the States as the weak dollar makes then around £160-180, but must resist..... not long now. Apple is going to get a pretty penny from me over the next 3 months - new MBP, iPhone and an iPod classic :eek:

Pyrix
Please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone, please be iPhone... :D

They are really hurtling through the announcements now, after a loooong period of silence. Makes me wonder what they'll have left for the Paris Expo (assuming there's a keynote!?)

Spanky Deluxe
iPhone, here I come!!

.Andy
Sep 13, 2007, 07:14 AM
And one more thing......

iPhone for Australia as well :o:)

elcid
Sep 13, 2007, 07:15 AM
Ya, after Leopard comes out they arent going to have anything for 6 months.

Ok, maybe not.

ntg
Sep 13, 2007, 07:19 AM
must be iPhone - Mum's the word is the opposite of talking, after all...

nig.
:confused:

pianojoe
Sep 13, 2007, 07:21 AM
For the benefit of some forum members who speak English as a second language, the idiomatic expression "Mum's the word." means "Don't tell anybody."

In German, Mum is no longer the word! translates to Endlich weitersagen!

TallChap
Sep 13, 2007, 07:24 AM
Whilst one can assume Iphone launch maybe one more thing could be the Beatles!

Veldek
Sep 13, 2007, 07:25 AM
For the benefit of some forum members who speak English as a second language, the idiomatic expression "Mum's the word." means "Don't tell anybody."

In German, Mum is no longer the word! translates to Endlich weitersagen!Thanks a lot, I did wonder what this sentence could mean...

cwedl
Sep 13, 2007, 07:26 AM
Conjestion charging is between 7am - 6pm.

CD3660
Sep 13, 2007, 07:26 AM

Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if they want to charge more than they do for the iPod Touch, initially at least.

But then I'm a pessimist!

Father Jack
Sep 13, 2007, 07:27 AM
U.K. iPhone for Christmas, Middle of September would seem like a good date for release.

I do hope so .. :)

twoodcc
Sep 13, 2007, 07:29 AM
eah, its gotta be the iPhone. But who knows, maybe more announcements also? ( like new mac pros?)

Glenny2lappies
Sep 13, 2007, 07:30 AM
I wonder when the release will be; unlikely to be next Tuesday? Or is it?

Tsurisuto
Sep 13, 2007, 07:30 AM
I knew it would be soon, but I was expecting the announcement at the Paris expo the week after.

I wonder when they will release the phone itself?

CD3660
Sep 13, 2007, 07:31 AM
The fanboy in me will ultimately stump up the £300 if it came out at that price. :(

That's what they will be banking on, and many people will pay for the initial thrill and exclusivity!

edesignuk
Sep 13, 2007, 07:32 AM
That's what they will be banking on, and many people will pay for the initial thrill and exclusivity!Then cry like babies 2 months later when there's a huge price drop :p

rcha101
Sep 13, 2007, 07:32 AM
After reading this it got me thinking.

It would make sense for Apple to announce the iPhone and the carrier of choice in each country. That way the CEOs can get up and spout on about how excited they are to be working with Apple etc etc.

With this announcement a week before the Paris date, it is possible there could also be another announcement in Germany the week after the Paris date or not long after. Nov 12 seems too far away though..

I would like for this to be the iphone, i think it makes sense given the UK itunes video content is already available (others have suggested it will be to annouce this). I'm going away for 2 weeks on the weekend so hopefully they'll still have iphones in stock when I return as I already have $$$ set aside for one.

Happy pondering

martymcr
Sep 13, 2007, 07:34 AM
Let's hope it is the iPhone for the UK, with 16GB and 3G too or is that just greedy?

CD3660
Sep 13, 2007, 07:36 AM
They cry like babies 2 months later when there's a huge price drop :p

I'm crying already at the imminent prospect of yet another expensive gadget that I will not be able to resist! ;)

MongoTheGeek
Sep 13, 2007, 07:36 AM
It would make sense for Apple to announce the iPhone and the carrier of choice in each country. That way the CEOs can get up and spout on about how excited they are to be working with Apple etc etc.

imagine all those CEO's standing up. Facing Steve and sounding off "Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!"

R.Youden
Sep 13, 2007, 07:38 AM
Being from the Uk I am waiting for the:

"Huh, this isn't an announcement that will affect the American user so we don't care..."

Genghis Khan
Sep 13, 2007, 07:39 AM
It has to be iPhone...why else would apple hold a special conference in england all of a sudden?...only other reason i can think of is Beatles.........

But this is news enough to postpone my ordering of iPod touch here in Australia until after sept 28th

Plumbstone
Sep 13, 2007, 07:44 AM
Here we go!! I reckon it'll be a bit of both, iPhone for Xmas and UK iTunes content to put on it! Would be a good month for me then as I've just gone and bought the new Logic Studio too :):)

Matteh117
Sep 13, 2007, 07:46 AM
Now THAT sucks. iPod touch and a phone with low monthly bills, or iPhone and big monthly bills? Ahhhhh can't choose.

gusapple
Sep 13, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hoping for Beatles. And iPhone for the great Mac fans across the pond!

vendettabass
Sep 13, 2007, 07:49 AM
Now THAT sucks. iPod touch and a phone with low monthly bills, or iPhone and big monthly bills? Ahhhhh can't choose.

in exactly the same situation!!

iPod Touch £269 EDIT- if buying a new mac with this education thing will get me money off the touch - awesome!
Sony K810i £0.00 with £20 contract for 18 months

or iPhone 8GB (probably £269, with >=£30 24 month contract?)

atm its the Touch

felixkunze
Sep 13, 2007, 07:50 AM
Regent Street Apple Store is big, and I guess they'll hold the event from the top at the back where they also do their "Live from London" series. But will this press conference be open to the general public?

That would be an interesting experience. Maybe I'll have to book a day off work for that. Especially if his Steveness is gonna be there (which I assume no-one has confirmed and could be unlikely, judging by the rather boring invite - no offense Apple).

Loge
Sep 13, 2007, 07:50 AM

Didn't Steve just say Beatles would most likely be during first half of 2008? I'm guessing this is just about the iPhone.

Consultant
Sep 13, 2007, 07:54 AM
Regent Street Apple Store is big, and I guess they'll hold the event from the top at the back where they also do their "Live from London" series. But will this press conference be open to the general public?

That would be an interesting experience. Maybe I'll have to book a day off work for that. Especially if his Steveness is gonna be there (which I assume no-one has confirmed and could be unlikely, judging by the rather boring invite - no offense Apple).

Sorry it seems to be an invite only event, like all Apple press events.

"Guests admitted by invitation only."

Dagless
Sep 13, 2007, 07:56 AM
I don't know if anything is set in stone, but I'm sort of hoping they will parter with Vodaphone. I'm not keen on them as a whole but my girlfriends mum got us all these Vodaphone sim cards so we can ring each other for free. At the moment I'm stuck using an ancient sim free Nokia with the sim card! To replace that with an iPhone would make my... fortnight?

Consultant
Sep 13, 2007, 07:56 AM
Didn't Steve just say Beatles would most likely be during first half of 2008? I'm guessing this is just about the iPhone.

It's a demo of the new iPHone TimeTravel that brings back the original Beatles from the the 1960s! =)

peharri
Sep 13, 2007, 07:57 AM
Actually, you've got it completely wrong.

Basically, there's been a long standing tradition in the computing community that computers have to be so easy "my mother can use it". Apple is essentially going to announce a switch away from this philosophy, eschewing the GUI in favor of pure command line interfaces for everything.

For example, the new iPhone2 will have a 102 key keyboard and a short, 10 character, LCD screen, and to make phone calls you'll just type "CL /GSM /NETWORK=(310,380) -v /VOICE +12125551212" rather than going through the hassle of trying to navigate a phone book or something.

Apple will also be phasing out the Mac, introducing the new Apple IV series. These will run PRODOS++ (with an AppleSoft BASIC shell), Darwin, and, being Intel based, a new version of Bootcamp will allow you to install any version of MSDOS.

It's all very exciting, I can't wait.

Matteh117
Sep 13, 2007, 07:59 AM

iPod Touch £269 EDIT- if buying a new mac with this education thing will get me money off the touch - awesome!
Sony K810i £0.00 with £20 contract for 18 months

or iPhone 8GB (probably £269, with >=£30 24 month contract?)

atm its the Touch

I would say Touch hands down too, but the.. scrap that - No matter how much better the iPhone is, I can't justify spending that much money for it. I don't NEED slow internet speeds everywhere I go - only places like work or home where there is Wi-Fi.

Mum's the word

Meaning
Keep quiet - say nothing.

jackc
Sep 13, 2007, 08:02 AM
Sweet, it's the 32GB iPod Touch!

OK, maybe not.

Pressure
Sep 13, 2007, 08:03 AM
Incidentally, that's the same date Intel Developer Forum begins.

fastbite
Sep 13, 2007, 08:06 AM
I hope it's not just the iPhone announcement but that they start selling it!

afd
Hope it's not beatles, what a non event that would be. If it's not a 3G iPhone I'd settle for some ACDC content on iTunes....

TallChap
Hope your wrong, it would spoil my predictions in my first ever MacRumors post back in August.

felixkunze
Sep 13, 2007, 08:08 AM
Sorry it seems to be an invite only event, like all Apple press events.

"Guests admitted by invitation only."

I guess I should have read the whole invitation. I guess they will close off the glass stairs and elevator (lift) for media-only access. Shame. Or the whole store?

illitrate23
Sep 13, 2007, 08:09 AM
trouble is, Steve often likes to say something along the lines of "isn't this just great, and you can buy it from the Apple Store today"
and that's a problem cos the Touch i have on order isn't due to arrive until the start of October, so do i cancel it, and also, my office is at least 20 minutes away from the Regents Street store even if i run to the central line and the tube turns up as i step on the platform. and i'm sure in that time they'll have sold out damnit!!

here's hoping the iPhone isn't actually available to buy until December so then i can enjoy the Touch for a couple of months

Demon
Sep 13, 2007, 08:10 AM
I'm guessing it's the Beatles...
If they announce the iPhone for the UK... it better be 3G.
Then there's no WAY people are going to buy the crippled iPod touch if the 3G iPhone is out.
so i highly doubt that Apple would release so soon... before the touch is even out.:rolleyes:

stompy
Sep 13, 2007, 08:11 AM

"Huh, this isn't an announcement that will affect the American user so we don't care..."

That might be coming, but for me, good news for UK Apple users is good news for Apple users.

Loge
Sep 13, 2007, 08:12 AM
Hope your wrong, it would spoil my predictions in my first ever MacRumors post back in August.

I've been wrong quite a bit this year, so feel free to remain hopeful. :p

joe8232
Sep 13, 2007, 08:17 AM
I wonder if there will be any clues leading up to the event ie. Large covered up banners in the window of the apple store etc. Also, will Steve be there?
Here's hoping for the iPhone at a non-ridiculous price!

Mitch1984
Sep 13, 2007, 08:22 AM
I think Apple have probably fell out with the Paris Expo hosts.
Maybe they leaked something in the past???

As for a SE K810i being free on a £20 a month contract. I bet you get hardly any bundled texts, data and minutes meaning it's likely that you will exceed what they bundle and ending paying ALOT extra when you exceed what they give you bundled in.

thefunkymunky
Sep 13, 2007, 08:22 AM
The UK launch of the iPhone and a new 16GB version on Sept 18. The France and Germany launch at Paris Expo next week?

zombitronic
Sep 13, 2007, 08:23 AM
According to Reuters, this may only be to announce which carriers they will partner with. I'm not sure if Europeans get suckered into 1-2 year contracts with their providers, but this may be the heads up to cancel with your current provider, if needed.

"Apple declined to divulge details about the planned news conference in London, and an Apple spokesman in Germany said only that the company would announce which telecoms operators had clinched the sales deal by the end of September."

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=tnBusinessNews&storyID=2007-09-13T122059Z_01_L13579954_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESS-APPLE-IPHONE-EUROPE-DC.XML

glennyboiwpg
Sep 13, 2007, 08:25 AM
Not that i'm not happy about you guys on the other side of the pond getting the iphone... its great, congrats... but being just north of the border, its kinda upsetting that we canadians still don't have:

Movies, TV shows on Itunes or the Iphone.

Does steve just hate us up here or is there another reason we have been shunned?

Mitch1984
Sep 13, 2007, 08:26 AM
I wonder if there will be any clues leading up to the event ie. Large covered up banners in the window of the apple store etc. Also, will Steve be there?
Here's hoping for the iPhone at a non-ridiculous price!

It'll be £169 for 4GB. I betcha.

daneoni
Sep 13, 2007, 08:27 AM
Is it possible to announce the iPhone on Tues and have it shipping out from the 25th with live demo versions at the Expo?

Intarweb
Sep 13, 2007, 08:30 AM
To think this wont have anything to do with the Euro iPhone launch would be ridiculous.

Matteh117
It'll be £169 for 4GB.

Hate to break the news to you, but they discontinued the 4GB model last week. :p

stadidas
I hope the iPhone isn't out here (UK) for a good couple of months yet. Why? Because I just got mine unlocked, and I like the exclusivity!

sananda
Sep 13, 2007, 08:31 AM
mmmmm...this comes very quickly after the announced price drop for iphone. i really thought we would wait longer and then get a 3G phone. if they are announcing iphone for the UK, does this make it more likely its going to be EDGE (taking into account O2 have been adding EDGE)?

hoppo99
Sep 13, 2007, 08:32 AM
It will be the iPhone on the O2 network and it will be the same as the US version i.e. 2.5G and EDGE (or whatever O2 brand it). Apple is not going to have Europe having a better iPhone than the US. Apparently the price drop over there pissed off a few people(!). I think 3G in Europe only would piss people off even more...

We'll have to wait for iPhone 2 for 3G I suspect, but then we'll see a really cool version of iChat for the iPhone with neat integration with both the Mac version and a new Windows version. Finally they'll be a reason to actually use the video call features that 3G allows. Mark my words!

Gilfanon
Sep 13, 2007, 08:33 AM
Urgh. New iMacs, iLife, iWork, Leopard, iPods, iPhone, Logic Studio? I fully expect Steve to stride onto stage with a Borg eyepiece and a Santa outfit to declare "This Christmas resistance to our product lines is futile. Hand over your bank accounts to us." If they announce a new Mac Pro as well as the European iPhone I might as well just start tithing 30% of my income to Apple :o

Merser
Sep 13, 2007, 08:35 AM
Here's a thought (Probably mentioned many times before, but I cant seem to find it in thread)...

Wouldnt Apple AND the service providers in Europe want the iPhone to hit the streets BEFORE people start buying the alternative... iPod touch. (slated to hit the streets 9/28)

I mean think about it, suppose you were in Europe and you were thinking of picking up an iPhone, but were getting a bit impatient with Apple in regards to waiting for their announcement and release. You may be tempted to just grab an iPod touch and keep using the old classic cell phone.

Phrased this way... Wouldnt and iPod touch on the market with no clear promise of a release date on the iPhone hurt the service providers in Europe?

Maybe I am way off here... thoughts??

Piarco
Sep 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
It'll be £169 for 4GB. I betcha.

Oh yeah, I meant 8GB.

What? A 8GB iPhone for £169? Not a chance. Have a look at the pricing stucture of the iPods vs iPhone Stateside and you'll revise that standpoint. It'll be £250 upwards IMHO...

netdog
Sep 13, 2007, 08:40 AM

Olivia Harrison was quoted somewhere as saying that Beatles music won't appear online until early next year. Expect that means an announcement at MacWorld 2008.

4np
Sep 13, 2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks a lot, I did wonder what this sentence could mean...

Me too ;)

Mum's the word

Meaning

Keep quiet - say nothing.

Origin

Mum; not mother but 'mmmmm', the humming sound made with a closed mouth. Used by Shakespeare in Henry VI, Part 2:

"Seal up your lips and give no words but mum."

so... no more keeping quiet; start talking... here's the iPhone! ;)

karlfranz
Sep 13, 2007, 08:47 AM
Mum is no longer the word.

The new word is "Mom".

Yateball
Sep 13, 2007, 08:47 AM
Like someone else already said... congrats to you guys getting your iphone but dammit Canadians should get it over here too....

ugh

Markleshark
Sep 13, 2007, 08:50 AM
It's Mam.

Beatles it could be, and iPhone it most likely is.

syklee26
Sep 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
What? A 8GB iPhone for £169? Not a chance. Have a look at the pricing stucture of the iPods vs iPhone Stateside and you'll revise that standpoint. It'll be £250 upwards IMHO...

i expect £299 for 8gb with 3G.

tersono
Sep 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
A special edition ipod to honour the queen mum!

<Obigatory bad taste>It'd hafta be a faulty special edition iPod as the Queen Mum ain't amongst those living </obligatory bad taste>

I'll leave someone else to post the inevitable take-off of the parrot sketch :p

TheChemist
Sep 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
Not that i'm not happy about you guys on the other side of the pond getting the iphone... its great, congrats... but being just north of the border, its kinda upsetting that we canadians still don't have:

Does steve just hate us up here or is there another reason we have been shunned?

Did you take a look at our data plans?

Neither Telus, Rogers or Hell have reasonable plans for unlimited data.

Since Rogers is the only carrier to use sim cards... We are waiting on them.

Ideally you could call your MP and talk to him/her about having the CRTC allow foreign telecom companies competing on the Canadian Market.

But, if you really want an iPhone, go buy one, and unlock it. A friend of mine is using iPhone on Fido at the moment.

DJS1234
Sep 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
OK then dilemma time..... I was about to buy an iphone from eBay that is already in the UK and just unlock it, then I get a cheap contract as I wont have to take the most likely expensive iPhone contract.

I guess I'm silly not to wait until next week and see what the news will be as it could really change things. If the release date is still end of November I'll just get one off Fleabay as i'm going mad waiting:mad:

You can't dangle a new gadget infront of me and tell me I cant but it for months!!!

pogwilson@ntlwo
Sep 13, 2007, 08:56 AM
If Mum is no longer the word then what is? iBet its something on the lines of "let's-get-the-out-of-date-8GB-EDGE-version-out-quickly-in-the-UK-so-we-can-launch-the-3G-16GB-iPhone-in-the-new-year" only snappier. iKnow what my Mum's word would be; "wait" Of course iWon't 'cause I'm stupid and iWant one NOW! Bring it on!

koobcamuk
Sep 13, 2007, 08:58 AM

What's all this fuss aboot?

No idea, but maybe he blames canada for something.

glennyboiwpg
Sep 13, 2007, 08:59 AM
Like someone else already said... congrats to you guys getting your iphone but dammit Canadians should get it over here too....

ugh

Like I said... Steve Jobs hates canada!

Maybe he came to winnipeg. (If you've been here you'd understand.)

What's all this fuss aboot?

No idea, but maybe he blames canada for something.

Whats all the fuss about? We DON"T GET APPLE PRODUCTS! People up here are still waiting for the 2.8 imac. (in winnipeg manitoba)

We don't have any good itunes content (tv, movies, etc)

Whats the deal?????

and NO we don't say aboot (dispite what south park has taught you)

MacSync
Sep 13, 2007, 09:03 AM
Yes! 'Mum is no longer the word' means no more secrets from Apple. All new projects and developments will be shared with the public! Free tours of their R&D facilities! Suggestion boxes for how to improve what we see on the tour! Rumor sites will no longer be neccess.... :eek:

WAIT!! I'm pouring that koolaid out right now.

I hope it's the iPhone.

koobcamuk
Sep 13, 2007, 09:03 AM
It's M'am.

Beatles it could be, and iPhone it most likely is.

I hope it's not beatles. I really don't give a ****** about the beatles.Whats all the fuss about? We DON"T GET APPLE PRODUCTS! People up here are still waiting for the 2.8 imac. (in winnipeg manitoba)

Whats the deal?????

EEEaaaassy compadre. I love Canada. Some of the best people I know are Canadian. I havent met one single person that I didn't like from Canada. Sorry if I actually offended you - it was meant in jest.

I am sorry to hear that Apple don't give you all the good stuff soon enough, but at least you won't pay as much as I do (UK) for things when they are finally released.

My contract has 4 months on it - so lets see what Apple do at Christmas. At £15 a month, I am not going to cancel this puppy.

happydude
Sep 13, 2007, 09:04 AM
since the assumption is the iphone in the UK, how long until steve hits his 10 million mark. lowered the price in the u.s., beginning to open up global sales with Germany and France waiting in the wings . . . he'll be half way there by the end of the christmas shopping season. wwjd? he'd buy himself a birthday present and convert the heathons via the iphone.

Lyra
Sep 13, 2007, 09:05 AM
Steve Jobs : "Today we're announcing the iPhone in the UK with the UK providers delivering the units from next month. Starbucks will also have our service set up in 4 major Starbucks cafeterias around London. The iPod Touch will land in the shops as announced however, people MUST pre-order to ensure they'll get one.

But... There's one more thing... Leopard has been delayed till Feb. 23rd 2008..."

At which point an Apple fan jumps out of his seat like he got a heart attack, shouting "STEVE YOU DUMB MOTHER*^&$!!!! I'LL BEAT THE TAR OUT OF YOU, TARE OFF YOUR SWEATY BLACK T-SHIRT AND SET FIRE TO IT!! DANCE AROUND IT IN A FESTIVE MANNOR TOO!!! YOU ARE GOING DOWN BITCH! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR TW..."

Before he can finish his sentence, bodyguards have jumped him and dragged him outside, slapped a white Apple sticker on his forehead and left him there crying...'

In other words...

It's not going to be major...

The only thing that would be major is if he actually said, we're delivering Leopard ahead of schedule and the first 1000 customer who buys it will get a free Nano as a gift.

Buuuuut, that's never gonna happen...

Mitch1984
Sep 13, 2007, 09:10 AM

I meant £269. I really ain't concentrating today.
I think it will be £269 because the $399 iPod Touch is £269 in the UK.

rangor
Sep 13, 2007, 09:14 AM
Steve said at the recent expo that the iPod touch would be the first multitouch device to be shipped outside the US (At least I'm pretty sure that's what he said, but I'm too lazy to watch the keynote again).

Given that the touch isn't being shipped till end of September, I doubt the iPhone will be released anytime soon, although I imagine the event is all about the carrier and the release date of the iPhone.

koobcamuk
Sep 13, 2007, 09:21 AM
Steve said at the recent expo that the iPod touch would be the first multitouch device to be shipped outside the US (At least I'm pretty sure that's what he said, but I'm too lazy to watch the keynote again).

Given that the touch isn't being shipped till end of September, I doubt the iPhone will be released anytime soon, although I imagine the event is all about the carrier and the release date of the iPhone.

Everyone knows it's O2. I know being as Vodafone have a huge fan/loyalty base that a lot of people will be annoyed about having to move carriers. Most phones come out on all networks here... it'll be interesting to see :)

ogee
Sep 13, 2007, 09:24 AM
I cant imagine it would be the Beatles. If Apple was to have a special event in England to announce the Beatles, then it would make more sense to have the announcement in Liverpool, from where they originate. Otherwise may as well slip it in from the USA as a "one last thing".

My bet is on the UK (or EU) release of iPhone.

littlejim
Sep 13, 2007, 09:24 AM
I'm hoping that this is an announcement that the BBC will put content out via iTunes (to help counter critisism about the iPlayer (http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?newsid=18639) and XBox Content (http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?newsid=19093)).
Brits may get the link ('Mum' - 'Aunty') ... Long shot I know!!

doc james
Sep 13, 2007, 09:25 AM
For all those who think Steve is going to announce the Beatles - I'm afraid they've already been announced as a popular beat combo and were actually very well received for a while. Now at least one of them is dead (in both PC and Mac Varieties):rolleyes:

btaussie
Sep 13, 2007, 09:28 AM
Oh you haven't heard...there announcing a price drop of the iPhone again! Joking! :-P

It's got to be the iPhone for the UK and/or Europe. Perhaps they'll confirm a date for Leopard?

Fun times ahead guys.

ULTIMATE DREAM: Apple tells AT&T where to go and worldwide, unlocked iPhones for all!

maehara
Sep 13, 2007, 09:30 AM
Then there's no WAY people are going to buy the crippled iPod touch if the 3G iPhone is out.
Sure they will. Not all of us want to be locked into a £40+/month contract for the rest of eternity. The iPhone's a nice piece of kit, sure, but I don't use my mobile enough to merit that sort of tariff.

Now, if my employer would replace my office-issue Blackberry with one so that they pick up the bill, then great. But until hell freezes over, it's the Touch for me...

rangor
Sep 13, 2007, 09:31 AM
Everyone knows it's O2. I know being as Vodafone have a huge fan/loyalty base that a lot of people will be annoyed about having to move carriers. Most phones come out on all networks here... it'll be interesting to see :)

I agree, I'm pretty sure it's going to be O2, but I guess Apple have to officially announce it sometime!

ntg
Sep 13, 2007, 09:32 AM

actually, I reckon 2.5G for £299 and new 3G for £349 - that's why they dropped the 4G..
:D
nig

redgaz26
Sep 13, 2007, 09:35 AM
hopefully the day we have been waiting for. having the touch released over here before the iphone has taken a bit of gloss off it but at least we will know the carrier, the price(please god under £300) and hopefully th monthly rates.
I'm going for end of October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam0r
Sep 13, 2007, 09:40 AM
Three things this could be:

- The Opening of new Apple Stores (They've been building one in Solihull for a while, and I guess there were more being build around the country)
- Indeed an EU iPhone
- UK iTunes Movie Rentals

It could end up being all three, but I reckon it'll be the iPhone and I also think there will be mentions of the new stores.

Cloudane
Sep 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
Let's hope it is the iPhone for the UK, with 16GB and 3G too or is that just greedy?

Not greedy, but unlikely. Can you imagine the whining from the US customer base if they came out with an upgrade so soon after the price-drop bombshell? And to the Europeans first, too? :eek:

Still, if they do (never know with Apple) I will be cancelling my Touch order and getting that :D

NicP
Sep 13, 2007, 09:45 AM
DUH... of course it's the European iPhone announcement. "Mum is no longer the word" - which means, people will be talking more - albeit the iPhone :)

PS - Just got my iPhone unlocked working here in Australia! So, so happy!!

:)

Which network are you using? does web browsing and stuff work?

VespR
Sep 13, 2007, 09:46 AM
You can pretty much work out the price based on the existing products.

shuffle £49 -> $79
nano 4gb £99 -> $149
nano 8gb £129 -> $199
classic 80gb £159 -> $249
classic 160gb £229 -> $349
touch 8gb £199 -> $299
touch 16gb £269 -> $399
atv 40gb £199 -> $299
atv 160gb £269 -> $399

iPhone costs $399 in the states. Therefore, based on the 160gb atv and the 16gb touch, it shouldn't cost anymore than £269 to fit their pattern. I see no reason why they would change it?

mudaudio
Sep 13, 2007, 09:51 AM
It will be the iPhone on the O2 network and it will be the same as the US version i.e. 2.5G and EDGE (or whatever O2 brand it). Apple is not going to have Europe having a better iPhone than the US. Apparently the price drop over there pissed off a few people(!). I think 3G in Europe only would piss people off even more...

We'll have to wait for iPhone 2 for 3G I suspect, but then we'll see a really cool version of iChat for the iPhone with neat integration with both the Mac version and a new Windows version. Finally they'll be a reason to actually use the video call features that 3G allows. Mark my words!

Up until recently I agreed with you, mainly from a marketing / customer relations perspective as you mention.

But with the talk of the 3G deal apple's made, and the 16gb ipod touch, I do wonder if we could get lucky.

I also wonder if the $100 voucher all the iPhone owners got was not only damage control for the price cut, but also done in anticipation of the next bombshell - a 3g, 16GB wonder of an iPhone.

glennyboiwpg
Sep 13, 2007, 09:53 AM
Did you take a look at our data plans?

Neither Telus, Rogers or Hell have reasonable plans for unlimited data.

Since Rogers is the only carrier to use sim cards... We are waiting on them.

Ideally you could call your MP and talk to him/her about having the CRTC allow foreign telecom companies competing on the Canadian Market.

But, if you really want an iPhone, go buy one, and unlock it. A friend of mine is using iPhone on Fido at the moment.

Yeah thats what i'm going to do... in winter i'm going to mexico but i'm flying from a US city... and I notice that their subway/train stops at both the airport and the mall of america.... should be easy to zip on down to the mall and pick up an iphone at the apple store!

koobcamuk
Sep 13, 2007, 09:57 AM
Not greedy, but unlikely. Can you imagine the whining from the US customer base if they came out with an upgrade so soon after the price-drop bombshell? And to the Europeans first, too? :eek:

Still, if they do (never know with Apple) I will be cancelling my Touch order and getting that :D

The USA doesn't have the 3G coverage we do. Bring it on Apple. Make me waste more money on your stuff.

Piarco
Sep 13, 2007, 10:17 AM
i expect £299 for 8gb with 3G.

What? Are you drunk? And another.... wait... hang on. With 3G you say? Hmmmmm...... I'd hit that :D

Then we are in agreement my friend - I think that's the likely price point :D

Queso
Sep 13, 2007, 10:21 AM
Something obvious that everyone seems to be missing. "Mum's the word" is an expression meaning keeping something secret. So what have Apple been keeping secret? How about a whole bunch of Leopard features?

I reckon this is going to be the Leopard release date announcement with details on all the features they deemed too sensitive to tell us about before.

puckhead193
Sep 13, 2007, 10:23 AM
please let it be 3g and that the USA gets update ;)

koobcamuk
Sep 13, 2007, 10:24 AM
Something obvious that everyone seems to be missing. "Mum's the word" is an expression meaning keeping something secret. So what have Apple been keeping secret? How about a whole bunch of Leopard features?

I reckon this is going to be the Leopard release date announcement with details on all the features they deemed too sensitive to tell us about before.

They've kept all details on the Euro iPhone secret...
Carrier, to 3G or not 3G ... how overpriced it will be...:rolleyes:

That would be ace. I hope so. It seems fair. Just because people bought the iPhone and locked themselves into a 2 year contract doesn't mean that what they have will be the same device shipped for the next 18 months. Not at all. They signed up and were happy at the time. That should be how it is. Buyer's remorse shouldn't be applicable in this case - if they keep their head down then they won't get upset when the 3G iPhone finally does arrive ;)

joe8232
Sep 13, 2007, 10:25 AM
I really doubt Apple will go with 3g in the UK /Europe as they are already producing iPhones with edge so it would cost them more to produce two types of iphone. But that's just my humble opinion and I really hope Apple don't see it like that.

Queso
Sep 13, 2007, 10:26 AM
They've kept all details on the Euro iPhone secret...
Carrier, to 3G or not 3G ... how overpriced it will be...:rolleyes:
But they haven't made the point that they're keeping it secret, unlike with the features in Leopard. The "Mum's the word" line doesn't make sense marketing-wise unless it's something that's previously been talked about as secret.

Apple are always secretive, but they've not made an announcement about something being secret with any other product, iPhone included. I'm betting Leopard.

BKKbill
Sep 13, 2007, 10:26 AM
Hate to break the news to you, but they discontinued the 4GB model last week. :p

Maybe a 4GB model with 3G. It all sounds good after Europe, Asia then if there is any time left Canada. Can always dream.

Cloudane
Sep 13, 2007, 10:27 AM
Something obvious that everyone seems to be missing. "Mum's the word" is an expression meaning keeping something secret. So what have Apple been keeping secret?

Yeah they've secretly been developing an Amiga version of OS X :eek:

Virgil-TB2
Sep 13, 2007, 10:29 AM

Does steve just hate us up here or is there another reason we have been shunned?Apple doesn't hate Canadians, like most Americans they would rather just pretend we don't exist. ;)

Seriously though, the reason there is no iPhone in Canada is our media and telecom companies (Rogers, Shaw, Telus ... etc.) are all evil, money-grubbing, "screw-the-consumer" type of companies. This is of course similar to companies in the US, but down there they have a bit more competition, and the average American will complain and complain until they get what they want.

In Canada, we are all too damn polite and accepting so when Rogers screws us over year after year we generally just roll over and ask for more.

On an even more detailed level, the reason in particular that we do not have the iPhone is that Rogers has the only network that can use it and they want to charge something like three times what AT&T does in the US for data and also *don't* want to give Apple any revenue back.

jjd
Sep 13, 2007, 10:29 AM

If its a 3G iPhone then I will be getting one there, bringing it back to the US and unlocking it to use on AT&T. That would be an insane set of circumstances but then it was crazy that iPhone didn't have 3G out of the gate...

koobcamuk
Sep 13, 2007, 10:31 AM
Maybe a 4GB model with 3G. It all sounds good after Europe, Asia then if there is any time left Canada. Can always dream.

They really have their work cut out in the Japanese/South Korean Market. Email on a phone is standard in Japan. There are over 11 million handsets out there that receive TV (1seg) as standard. Great screens too. I think it will sell, but nothing like in the USA and even less than it will in Europe...:cool:

crossifixio
Sep 13, 2007, 10:36 AM
Going back to university this monday and its along regent street too, a short walk from the store so might drop by to see whats going on :)

KindredMAC
Sep 13, 2007, 10:37 AM
wow... I can't get over how many don't get the obvious hint @ a euro iPhone.....
btw... Wrote this on my new 4gb iPhone!!!

Virgil-TB2
Sep 13, 2007, 10:37 AM
actually, I reckon 2.5G for £299 and new 3G for £349 - that's why they dropped the 4G..
:D
nigSpeaking as an ex-pat Brit in Canada ...
I am really really, hoping that whatever the price, Steve has the guts and the class to announce it in Euros and not Pounds.

I love my native country, but to most of the rest of the world, the insistence on keeping Pounds, Rods, chains, etc. just makes England look like luddites and bumpkins.

20 years ago, who would have thought that Ireland would turn out to be the most sophisticated and modern member of the UK? :rolleyes:
While the irony of that is indeed delicious, I'd like to see England walk out of the dark ages and join the rest of us.

bilbo--baggins
Sep 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
Hope it's not beatles, what a non event that would be. If it's not a 3G iPhone I'd settle for some ACDC content on iTunes....

Imagine that - everyone expecting the iPhone announcement and then they introduce the Beetles on iTunes. It would be funny - the whole audience groans with disappointment - despite the long running anticipation of the Beetles coming to iTunes and the Apple vs Apple stuff.

From all the rumours I've read it's almost certainly going to be the 8GB EDGE model on O2. The nice surprise will be if they announce a 16GB model BEFORE we all buy the iPhone, and not just after!

PS. Oh an the price? £389 - reminiscent of the iTunes video download price (swap the $ for a £ and knock the tiniest amount off so they're not identical...).

Queso
Sep 13, 2007, 10:40 AM
I love my native country, but to most of the rest of the world, the insistence on keeping Pounds, Rods, chains, etc. just makes England look like luddites and bumpkins.
Rods and chains? You've not been home in a while then?

whiteboytrash
Sep 13, 2007, 10:41 AM
I really doubt Apple will go with 3g in the UK /Europe as they are already producing iPhones with edge so it would cost them more to produce two types of iphone. But that's just my humble opinion and I really hope Apple don't see it like that.

The reason they didn't go 3G in the US is you don't have a network... in Europe we do... and its everywhere......

sananda
Sep 13, 2007, 10:46 AM
Speaking as an ex-pat Brit in Canada ...
I am really really, hoping that whatever the price, Steve has the guts and the class to announce it in Euros and not Pounds.

20 years ago, who would have thought that Ireland would turn out to be the most sophisticated and modern member of the UK? :rolleyes:
While the irony of that is indeed delicious, I'd like to see England walk out of the dark ages and join the rest of us.

yes, and why not announce it in shekels if they're not going to use the currency of the country its going to be sold in.

happylittlemac
Sep 13, 2007, 10:51 AM
I think it will be details of the iPhone launch for the UK and Europe not really much to say about that other than pricing structure and who will be carrying what. I don't think it will be the Beatles, because remember the music industry is still sitting in the corner with the D hat over music downloads.

I also don't think there will be any new content for the iTunes UK store or Apple might announce they have secured the rights to Bob the Builder :D ;)

Unspeaked
Sep 13, 2007, 10:52 AM
Do my eyes deceive me?

Am I *REALLY* seeing people say they want a 16GB iPhone on a 3G network?

Are you smoking crack?

If folks who bought the iPhone stateside were knocking on Steve's door over the price drops 4-8 weeks after the iPhone first shipped, they'll be going after him with torches, pitchforks and bloodlust if Apple upgrades the phone that significantly after a week!

SimonTheSoundMa
Sep 13, 2007, 10:53 AM
Queen Mum ? Nah it will be speical edition to celebrate the Beckhems....
I was thinking the special new feature will be news straight to your iPhone from the Daily Mail...

We will have headline to out iPhone's such as:

"MADELEINE: FIND MADELEINE IN 70 PERCENT OFF CARPETS SECTION!"

"Maddies parents tricked into killing her by muslim immigrants because of a fall in house prices caused by diana."

"New evidence: Diana and Maddie abducted by imigrants casusing a fall in house prices and a new stealth tax."

"MADELEINE: WHERE'S MADELEINE AND WALLY? PORTU-POSTER INSIDE!"

Schtumple
Sep 13, 2007, 10:56 AM
The reason they didn't go 3G in the US is you don't have a network... in Europe we do... and its everywhere......

I've only managed to get the 3G icon up twice on my phone (over a period of a year and a half)

These have been at:

1. London
2. San Francisco

Not EVERYONE gets 3G, my phone constantly says 2.5G, it has NEVER gone to 3G apart from in London, I'm on O2 as well, which Apple will hopefully go with.

Why bother including technology which has patchy reception?

And wouldn't that just piss off yet more americans?

And wouldn't they immediately forget they had the iPhone months before anyone else and just go on another whining spree?

manu chao
Sep 13, 2007, 10:59 AM

Apple suggests to get an iPod touch 16 GB now. Switch to an iPhone once it becomes available (or once it is available with 16 GB). Then switch to an iPod touch once it becomes available with 32 GB. And then switch to an iPhone once it becomes available with 32 GB....

BKKbill

Dark ages what about feet, yards miles, Fahrenheit

Maccus Aurelius
Actually, you've got it completely wrong.

Basically, there's been a long standing tradition in the computing community that computers have to be so easy "my mother can use it". Apple is essentially going to announce a switch away from this philosophy, eschewing the GUI in favor of pure command line interfaces for everything.

For example, the new iPhone2 will have a 102 key keyboard and a short, 10 character, LCD screen, and to make phone calls you'll just type "CL /GSM /NETWORK=(310,380) -v /VOICE +12125551212" rather than going through the hassle of trying to navigate a phone book or something.

Apple will also be phasing out the Mac, introducing the new Apple IV series. These will run PRODOS++ (with an AppleSoft BASIC shell), Darwin, and, being Intel based, a new version of Bootcamp will allow you to install any version of MSDOS.

It's all very exciting, I can't wait.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.:o

Do my eyes deceive me?

Are you smoking crack?

If folks who bought the iPhone stateside were knocking on Steve's door over the price drops 4-8 weeks after the iPhone first shipped, they'll be going after him with torches, pitchforks and bloodlust if Apple upgrades the phone that significantly after a week!

Other than the crybabies that think they got shafted, why shouldn't they want an improved iPhone?

motoko
Sep 13, 2007, 11:00 AM
Has anyone considered that in the UK, the networks heavily subsidise handsets, when you get them on contract (and to some extent on pre paid). This is to a much greater extent than in the USA. When the Razr was relased in the states it was $600 on cingular with a $100 rebate.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/history-lessons/the-razr-taught-us-that-the-iphone-is-priced-juuust-right-270353.php

Where as in the UK, the Razr debuted on contract from free, or maybe 50 pounds. I can't find an exact figure.

This might apply to the iPhone in the UK as well. We shall have to wait and see. The mobile phone industry in the UK is operates very differently than its US counterpart.

stephenc92
Sep 13, 2007, 11:01 AM
If it is an iPhone, it will have to be 3G, it's almost becoming the standard in the UK now. And with the internet features the iPhone has, not having 3G is a stupid decision.

Sam0r
Sep 13, 2007, 11:02 AM
I've only managed to get the 3G icon up twice on my phone (over a period of a year and a half)

These have been at:

1. London
2. San Francisco

Not EVERYONE gets 3G, my phone constantly says 2.5G, it has NEVER gone to 3G apart from in London, I'm on O2 as well, which Apple will hopefully go with.

Well, on o2 with my old W850i the 3G icon was always up. Although it wasn't as fast as it should've been.

Being realistic, the 3 network over here are going bankrupt. If Apple were to release a 3G iPhone, 3 would do everything in their power to get it.

It'll be EDGE.

If its 3G I'll eat my PowerBook.

sananda
Sep 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
Do my eyes deceive me?

Are you smoking crack?

you do not speak with forked tongue!

freediverdude
Sep 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
My guess is iPhone Wifi, haha. *Ahem* Well really, when I read the title I thought Apple was introducing a new kind of flower, probably the iMum.

Glenny2lappies
Sep 13, 2007, 11:05 AM
Queen Mum ? Nah it will be speical edition to celebrate the Beckhems....

To celebrate that we got rid of them - sent them to America as we've had enough of them:)

sananda
Sep 13, 2007, 11:07 AM
Has anyone considered that in the UK, the networks heavily subsidise handsets, when you get them on contract (and to some extent on pre paid). This is to a much greater extent than in the USA. When the Razr was relased in the states it was $600 on cingular with a $100 rebate.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/history-lessons/the-razr-taught-us-that-the-iphone-is-priced-juuust-right-270353.php

Where as in the UK, the Razr debuted on contract from free, or maybe 50 pounds. I can't find an exact figure.

This might apply to the iPhone in the UK as well. We shall have to wait and see. The mobile phone industry in the UK is operates very differently than its US counterpart.

no chance.

Schtumple
Sep 13, 2007, 11:08 AM

Yeah I think I saw it at £75 when it first came out and that was it. Has the iPhone got a Pay As You Go model with AT&T?

Diode
Sep 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
I'm curious to know if the free unlock had anything to do with this "quick" announcement (As appose to the Paris exbo)?

It seems that Apple wants to capture as many as they can on their partner networks before people can just buy a iphone and use it on any network.

Remember Apple does make a nice cut on all the monthly bills ....

hotdamn
Sep 13, 2007, 11:11 AM

no it does not.

sananda
Sep 13, 2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah I think I saw it at £75 when it first came out and that was it. Has the iPhone got a Pay As You Go model with AT&T?

there is. if you do not pass the credit check. you have to pay a fixed amount every month though.

jockmock
Sep 13, 2007, 11:16 AM
no it does not.

Oh yes it does. You can get the equivalent of one ipod nano 4gb back in money, regardless of which ipod you buy.

pauld
Sep 13, 2007, 11:17 AM
If it is an iPhone, it will have to be 3G, it's almost becoming the standard in the UK now. And with the internet features the iPhone has, not having 3G is a stupid decision.

agreed. +90% of the UK has 3G coverage. It would be insane, super-expensive & backwards to set up an EDGE network simply because that's what they have in America.

As long as unlocking remains a viable option, using it on the 'Three' network would be a very smart idea now that they provide 'unlimited' (read: 1gig) internet for £5($10) p/m with their X-series (as well as arguably having the cheapest call packages).

sananda
Sep 13, 2007, 11:19 AM
agreed. +90% of the UK has 3G coverage. It would be insane, super-expensive & backwards to set up an EDGE network simply because that's what they have in America.

As long as unlocking remains a viable option, using it on the 'Three' network would be a very smart idea now that they provide 'unlimited' (read: 1gig) internet for £5($10) p/m with their X-series (as well as arguably having the cheapest call packages).

well i read on another thread that O2 are adding EDGE.

EvanLugh
Sep 13, 2007, 11:25 AM
Why do you guys moan all the time?
I can't wait!

Intarweb
Sep 13, 2007, 11:25 AM
It's not supposed to be that difficult.

Mum=not talking
No mum=talking.

Apple iPhone.

I mean seriously, is it THAT hard to figure out what they're inferring?

sananda
Sep 13, 2007, 11:28 AM
Why do you guys moan all the time?
I can't wait!

are you thinking about revising your sig?

Unspeaked
Sep 13, 2007, 11:29 AM
Other than the crybabies that think they got shafted, why shouldn't they want an improved iPhone?

Do you really think technology companies release the latest and greatest as soon as it comes off the assembly line?

Or do you think they might hold off on things and wait to maximize their profits off the current lineups?

If you think the former, you're in a dream world - everyone from Apple to Sony to Coca-Cola has very specific target dates and product cycles in mind, and it's clearly too early for Apple to release such a major upgrade to the iPhone, just DAYS after their had a giant presentation announcing a new, related product and price drop...

miniConvert
well i read on another thread that O2 are adding EDGE.
O2 do seem to have been rolling out EDGE, yes. We've been discussing it on Talk3G (http://www.talk3g.co.uk). Despite some news reports, it would appear that there is some hardware upgrading that needs to take place for O2 to offer EDGE, so they wont be making the investment lightly and I certainly doubt they'd be rolling out EDGE if the iPhone was a) on O2 and b) had 3G.

I'm pretty consigned to the idea of an O2 iPhone, with EDGE, some time in November. I'm also pretty consigned to the idea of getting one on prepay, unlocking it, and using it on a (the?) real network, ie Vodafone.

bbydon
I thought it said new ipods were excluded from the educational promo.
In fact im looking at it now and it does say that.
"iPod models introduced on Sept. 5, 2007, are not eligible. Terms and conditions apply. Click here for full details."

applemax
Sep 13, 2007, 11:33 AM
I'm currently on hold on the phone for the store. I'm gonna try and find out what all this is about. Will report back.

EDIT - Here's the conversation:

Me: Hi - I was wondering if you knew if the iPhone would be in stock on Tuesday?
Him: We don't yet have a release date for that.
Me: Oh, because I just read on a news site that you're holding a press conference on Tuesday about the iPhone.
Him: We have not been informed about any press conferences. Where did you here this?
Me: Reuters.co.uk
Him: I don't know what that is. If it's not on our website, it's definitely not true.
Me: Yes, but many UK newspapers and magazines are getting invitations from you!
Him: No they're not. We don't hold press conferences here.
Me: Yes they are.
Him: No they're not. They are faking them to get a story.
Me: (shocked delay) - O...K... -- So when are you getting the iPhone?
Him: Don't know. Probably next year.
Me: Thanks
Him: OK

(he hung up)

wow. shocking.

sionharris
Sep 13, 2007, 11:34 AM
I'm not so sure it will be a 3G iPhone. A leaked memo recently revealed that O2 are investing in EDGE technology for the UK.

However if it is 3G I hope it has good battery life.

I think I will accept O2's offer of a ludicrously cheap contract (£15 a month or something) for the next year and then buy the second generation iPhone next Christmas.

shawnce
Sep 13, 2007, 11:35 AM
I'm currently on hold on the phone for the store. I'm gonna try and find out what all this is about. Will report back.

Yeah like they will tell you... :)

mum = no talking --> mum no more = talking --> iPhone you can talk

Intarweb
Sep 13, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah like they will tell you... :)

mum = no talking --> mum no more = talking --> iPhone you can talk

Thanks for repeating what I said twice already. Maybe at some point logic will take over and people will realize it.

Unspeaked
Sep 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
Has the iPhone got a Pay As You Go model with AT&T?

They do since late Tuesday when the unlock instructions were released ;)

But no, not officially...

applemax
Sep 13, 2007, 11:41 AM

Me: Hi - I was wondering if you knew if the iPhone would be in stock on Tuesday?
Me: Oh, because I just read on a news site that you're holding a press conference on Tuesday about the iPhone.
Him: We have not been informed about any press conferences. Where did you here this?
Him: I don't know what that is. If it's not on our website, it's definitely not true.

(he hung up)

wow. shocking.

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
The iPhone will almost certainly not be 3G in the UK. I dont understand why people are getting their hopes up, only to be let down next week and unleash a torrent of abuse to Apple on these boards.

Brace yourself for a £269, 8GB, EDGE enabled iPhone.

I for one, cant wait.

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 11:47 AM

(he hung up)

wow. shocking.

Apple hire regular retail staff for the general roles, not Apple heads.

notjustjay
Sep 13, 2007, 11:50 AM
In Canada, we are all too damn polite and accepting so when Rogers screws us over year after year we generally just roll over and ask for more.

I have become more and more dissatisfied with my phone service ever since Rogers bought Fido. Fido was great -- month-to-month service with no contracts, billing by the second, CHEAP long distance and roaming. To me it was a no-brainer compared to Rogers, Telus/Clearnet, Bell, etc. Once bought out, I received notices every other month that fees were going to be increasing, to the point now where They're All The Same.

I want out, but I have nowhere to go.

And yes, Rogers/Fido still charges ridiculous data rates (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/domore/options.shtml). 5 cents per kilobyte (that's $51 per megabyte) if you don't subscribe to a monthly option.

As for movies and TV shows, I suspect it's to do with the CRTC and regulatory stuff, maybe to do with minimum percentage of Canadian content, etc.

Mgkwho
Sep 13, 2007, 11:50 AM
All I know is that I hope they also announce a 16GB version...

-=|Mgkwho

Glenny2lappies
Sep 13, 2007, 11:51 AM

Don't you mean "about".

I wonder if there's an English <--> Canadian translator for Babelfish

Intarweb
Sep 13, 2007, 11:51 AM
All I know is that I hope they also announce a 16GB version...

-=|Mgkwho

Not happening. Do you think Apple would give some place other than the US the latest and greatest? Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

notsofatjames
Sep 13, 2007, 11:57 AM
Not happening. Do you think Apple would give some place other than the US the latest and greatest? Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

who said if they announce a 16GB iPhone in the UK it would be UK exclusive. I think they'll announce UK launch date, and 16GB iPhone worldwide available, shipping same time as iPod touch. I hope for 3G, but part of me can't see it happening for one reason or anther.

redgaz26
Sep 13, 2007, 11:58 AM
I'm also pretty consigned to the idea of getting one on prepay

will you have the option, who knows how the activation will work?

Intarweb
Sep 13, 2007, 11:58 AM
who said if they announce a 16GB iPhone in the UK it would be UK exclusive. I think they'll announce UK launch date, and 16GB iPhone worldwide available, shipping same time as iPod touch. I hope for 3G, but part of me can't see it happening for one reason or anther.

The would have done it last week if there was a 16gig in the works soon. The 8gig is for the holiday season and the 16gig will most likely come after March next year.

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 12:01 PM
I'm also pretty consigned to the idea of getting one on prepay

will you have the option, who knows how the activation will work?

Not entirely sure but these will be issues that need to be addressed.

From what I gather, you are within your legal rights to unlock the phone in the UK. So after that, just pop in a pay as you go SIM.

I think a contract might be much better though as there is bound to be some kind of data deal, thats exclusive to signing up on an 18 month contract.

I will likely do that, and then just upgrade the phone each year like I do at the moment.

redgaz26
Sep 13, 2007, 12:05 PM
yeh but will there be any other option than to sign a contract with o2

the uk does it different, buy a contract phone or buy a pay as you go and pay a fortune for the phone, I'm sure I seen the n95 for £500 on pay as you go.

netdog
Sep 13, 2007, 12:05 PM
They are going to have the phones in the store for sale on Tuesday. Given that they have fallen short of their sales goals, you can bet that Apple has a ton of the EDGE handsets gathering dust.

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 12:08 PM
Given that they have fallen short of their sales goals,

Apple in July
"we hope to sell our millionth iPhone by the end of the quarter (September)"

Apple in September
"we have sold our millionth iPhone"

redgaz26
Sep 13, 2007, 12:09 PM
http://shop.o2.co.uk/phones

notice the high end phones are not on pay as you go

Intarweb
Sep 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
Apple in July

Apple in September

They've definitely met that goal. If they had said shipped that would be a different story. They have SOLD 1mil. They have met their goal.

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 12:12 PM
yeh but will there be any other option than to sign a contract with o2

the uk does it different, buy a contract phone or buy a pay as you go and pay a fortune for the phone, I'm sure I seen the n95 for £500 on pay as you go.

Thats the full retail price of the N95, unlocked.

I would presume it would mimic the US model of pay monthly contract to activate the phone. But with it not being subsidised, I guess there is some scope to use PAYG (seeing as its pretty huge in the UK). But you generally do not see the higher end stuff on PAYG.

DCNDGuy
Sep 13, 2007, 12:14 PM
September 18, 1968 is the day that the Beatles recorded the song "Birthday" for the White album at the abbey road studios approximately 2.5 miles from Oxford Circus where the store the announcement is going to be held. This could serve as wonderful birthday event for the UK iPhone and adding The Beatles to the iTunes music store for use on said British iPhone.

Darkroom
Sep 13, 2007, 12:15 PM
Whats all the fuss about? We DON"T GET APPLE PRODUCTS! People up here are still waiting for the 2.8 imac. (in winnipeg manitoba)

Whats the deal?????

we get lots of stuff in Montréal... even canada's first Apple flag-ship store is opening up here within a year... poor winnipeg.. ha!

but don't feel bad... just think how apple fans in remote regions of Alaska must feel...

morespce54
Sep 13, 2007, 12:19 PM

Blame Canada! ;):D

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 12:20 PM
September 18, 1968 is the day that the Beatles recorded the song "Birthday" for the White album at the abbey road studios approximately 2.5 miles from Oxford Circus where the store the announcement is going to be held. This could serve as wonderful birthday event for the UK iPhone and adding The Beatles to the iTunes music store for use on said British iPhone.

It appears there is an anniversary for something Beatles related every day of the year.

SimonTheSoundMa
Sep 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
Oh yes it does. You can get the equivalent of one ipod nano 4gb back in money, regardless of which ipod you buy.
Why bother when can choose not to have an iPod chucked in, you then save ~20% off the computer if you buy from the website within your institution or you call ASE, rather than the low discount on the machine if you have the iPod.

I get 22% off the 2.4GHz MBP 15inch, ~£1250 inc. VAT. If you get it with the iPod it is £1471 with £85 rebate for the iPod. Cheapest iPod Nano is £99. £221 difference compared to £85 rebate plus having to pay the topup.

Intarweb
Sep 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
It appears there is an anniversary for something Beatles related every day of the week.

Well maybe Apple is doing away with it's black color scheme. Since people are reaching.....

1945 - In Gary, Indiana, 1000 whites walk out of schools to protest integration.

BTW

Whats the deal?????

I thought it was "a boat". Eh?

steve_hill4
Got a letter from O2 on Monday saying I'm eligible for free upgrade, since it's been 11 months since last one. Thought, "Hmmm. My contract has another month to go so I'll see what's out there in order to negotiate with them, might even have the iPhone available by then."

If I can try and get another bargain deal, (12 months at half price this time, meaning £15 a month not including data), but not with the iPhone, I'll leave it. If however, I can get it with a decent contract and it's £249 or less to buy, I might be tempted back, especially if they give me a good package for data in the contract.

Perfect timing for me.

maehara
Sep 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
Um, I hate to break it to you, but Ireland hasn't been a member of the UK since 1921. Partition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_ireland) and all that. Northern Ireland is, but we still use the good ol' pound sterling.

Anyway. I'm with you on the general principle of the UK getting their act together and switching to the Euro, but until they do announcing the UK price for the iPhone in Euros is kinda pointless...

jimmy3030

rods and chains?! People in (most of) England dont *actually* talk like Hobbits you know. I can only assume you are originally from Devon, and so are from bumpkin stock. :p

and *technically*, as any Irishman would tell you (probably with his fist in your face), Ireland (as in Eire, as in the Republic of Ireland) isn't part of the UK. Whoops.

and is it really so ridiculous that the 5th largest economy in the world has its own currency? Yeah, agreed. C'mon Japan. Stop being such peasants with the Yen!

Darkroom
Apple in July

Apple in September

i recall apple being overzealous about the market for iPhone. i believe they originally stated they wanted to sell 10M US iPhones by the end of 2008... it wasn't going to happen since 1M sold in just one quarter, but with the "surprising" price cut, their goal is now more likely. their pricing was a marketing error... with all the hype, the original iPhone launch would have been MUCH stronger if they had priced their phones as they are priced now... apple missed out on it... it's unfortunate, but the error was fixed quickly so i'm certain they'll do just fine...

Peace
Sep 13, 2007, 12:26 PM
This one is obvious.It's being held in the UK.The invite says "Mum's no longer the word".

The iPhone comes to UK.Probably using 3g over the O network.

Like Steve Jobs AND Mrs. Harrison said The Beatles won't be available for download until next year.
The U.S. will see the 3g iPhone and The Beatles early next year.Apple's learned it's lesson on releasing new stuff too early in the U.S.

Project
Sep 13, 2007, 12:29 PM
i recall apple being overzealous about the market for iPhone. i believe they originally stated they wanted to sell 10M US iPhones by the end of 2008... it wasn't going to happen since 1M sold in just one quarter, but with the "surprising" price cut, their goal is now more likely.

You're incorrect here. Apple said 10m worldwide, not US, in 2008.

redgaz26
Sep 13, 2007, 12:33 PM
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/09/13/uk_iphone_set_for_launch_on_tuesday.html

read the update near the bottom, think his source is at it, why hold a media event and then wait another week to release the carrier info?

willybNL
Sep 13, 2007, 12:35 PM
Guys,

come on!

Tuesday, September 18th at 10am.

WHAT TIME. This 10am doesn't say WHERE. It is UK time, GMT, what?

And it's obvious: it's or iPhone, or Beatles.
Didn't the beatles have a song about the mum? (isn't mum like queen in the UK?, could be mistaking, i'm not from the UK... just the country next to it :P).

redgaz26
Sep 13, 2007, 12:38 PM
Guys,

come on!

Didn't the beatles have a song about the mum? (it's mum like queen in the UK?, could be mistaking, i'm not from the UK... just the country next to it :P).

well it's not going to be 10am in New York
this ones for the brits

EvanLugh
Sep 13, 2007, 12:41 PM
UK time duuuh :D

sananda
Sep 13, 2007, 12:45 PM
Guys,

come on!

Didn't the beatles have a song about the mum? (isn't mum like queen in the UK?, could be mistaking, i'm not from the UK... just the country next to it :P).

probably the local time for london. or it might be rangoon time. not sure.

i don't know of any beatles song about mum.

redgaz26
Sep 13, 2007, 12:49 PM
only beatles song about mum is "julia" about Lennon's mum

barksj
Sep 13, 2007, 12:51 PM

That is why Canada deserves nothing, 'join the rest of us,' ha self satisfied wazzocks. By the way Ireland hasn't been part of the U.K. since the 1920s.

acslater017
Sep 13, 2007, 12:51 PM
Don't you mean "about".

I wonder if there's an English <--> Canadian translator for Babelfish

i had a teacher/priest in (catholic) high school who most definitely said ABOOT and OOT (e.g. "go hang oot with your friends"). after a few years, he would exaggeratedly "correct" his pronunciation..."Go oot...I mean, go OWT" :) funny guy

dogtanian
Sep 13, 2007, 12:57 PM
16Gb and 3G or apple aint getting any more of my hard earned cash...

*Crosses arms and pretends Apple cares what I do with my money*

But seriously though, what is the likely hood of adding 16GB of memory and 3G to the euro version only? The yanks would go mental! just look how they reacted to the whole iPhone discount thing!

In the UK and I'm sure Euro-land, phones come and go so fast that price cuts are rife. My K800 used to be £400 pay as you go (Prepay I think you call it), I can pick it up for less than £75 online now just a year on. Cut throat world.

whatever
Sep 13, 2007, 01:05 PM
What the hell is Europe? You mean there is something east of North America? When did they put that there? I think someone is pulling a fast one. What's next are you going to tell us that there is something West of North America too!

Only joking.

But it would be cool is if Apple forces a partnership to exist with all of their iPhone telecom companies. You know, if you buy an iPhone in England and travel to the US your phone will automatically use the US partner (AT&T), but you will pay the same rates as if you were still in England!

That would be awesome!

cliffjumper68
Sep 13, 2007, 01:06 PM

I am one American who is very excited for all you Euro's across the pond. Bigger market makes for better products for all. I am also hoping that the T-mobile version is easier to crack for use in the US than the ATT version.

Now, a beetles announcement would also be a great event. I have loaded all my CD's in iTunes but having video content would really be nice.

CJM
Sep 13, 2007, 01:07 PM
Oh! Wow!! That's really awesome! They're announcing it on my 18th birthday! How cool! :D

*happy*

Might go down there and buy my birthday present :)

cliffjumper68
Sep 13, 2007, 01:09 PM
What the hell is Europe? You mean there is something east of North America? When did they put that there? I think someone is pulling a fast one. What's next are you going to tell us that there is something West of North America too!

Only joking.

But it would be cool is if Apple forces a partnership to exist with all of their iPhone telecom companies. You know, if you buy an iPhone in England and travel to the US your phone will automatically use the US partner (AT&T), but you will pay the same rates as if you were still in England!

That would be awesome!

That should not be very hard to do at all since they already do that in Europe with a number of services.

Rom Rim
Sep 13, 2007, 01:13 PM
"Mum is no longer the word." That's clever. That will go over big in Britain.

Data
Sep 13, 2007, 01:16 PM
Well all i can say is that in Holland there is no Edge network anymore , it's al 3G UMTS, and even that is going to be replaced within a year maybe to for ( i think it's called ) hsda or something like that, that has a speed of 1,8Mbps.
And my guess is that holland is not the only country in europe that does not have a EDGE network anymore.
People in the US could not be complaining about tjis ( in my opinion ) because over in the US the 3G networks arren;'t rolled out there yet so they won't be able top use it any way.

I hope , there will be some announcments about the rest of the EU and iphone aswell.

whatever
Sep 13, 2007, 01:18 PM
In the UK and I'm sure Euro-land, phones come and go so fast that price cuts are rife. My K800 used to be £400 pay as you go (Prepay I think you call it), I can pick it up for less than £75 online now just a year on. Cut throat world.

People forget that the reason the cell/mobile phone prices change so rapidly is because of the competition. However, does not feel that the iPhone has any real competition and that's true. It's the only phone available that is also an iPod. Apple's thinking in this market is not that different from there thinking in the PC market. People are willing to spend a little more for a product that they will enjoy using a year later.

I've talked to many iPhone users who have said two things to me:
1. They didn't care that Apple dropped the price of the iPhone two months after release, because they got to use it in that time period.
2. They weren't give up their iPhones for anything (granted many of these people were using Blackberry's).

chr1s60
Sep 13, 2007, 01:19 PM
My guess would be the iPhone released in the UK. I don't think it will be any new products or anything like that.

dogtanian
Sep 13, 2007, 01:19 PM
I hope , there will be some announcments about the rest of the EU and iphone aswell.

I'm sure at least Germany and France will be...others I'm not quite sure of.

Parky
Sep 13, 2007, 01:21 PM
Here is the announcement :-

iPhone 8GB, EDGE network (2.5G) - price £269 (Available in late October in the UK)

iPhone 16GB, EDGE network (2.5G) - price - £339 (Available in late October in the UK, now in the USA)

Network operator will be O2

Prices for service per month :-

£14.99, £19.99 and £24.99 all with unlimited data, but differing voice and text quantities.

Just my guess !

dogtanian
Sep 13, 2007, 01:23 PM

iPhone 8GB, EDGE network (2.5G) - price £269 (Available in late October in the UK)

iPhone 16GB, EDGE network (2.5G) - price - £339 (Available in late October in the UK, now in the USA)

£14.99, £19.99 and £24.99 all with unlimited data, but differing voice and text quantities.

Just my guess !

Uhh I wish there were gonna be price plans that cheap...

whatever
Sep 13, 2007, 01:25 PM
That should not be very hard to do at all since they already do that in Europe with a number of services.

Really that's awesome!

Devil's Refugee
Sep 13, 2007, 01:29 PM
Launch of the iPhone obviously, not exactly telling us anything new.
We know it's O2. Finally putting an end to the speculation really.
If anything, it'll be interesting if they insist on crippling us with EDGE, but 16Gb might compensate ;)

Fabio_gsilva
Sep 13, 2007, 01:36 PM

In German, Mum is no longer the word! translates to Endlich weitersagen!

Thank you! This really helped!

steve_hill4
Sep 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
Well all i can say is that in Holland there is no Edge network anymore , it's al 3G UMTS, and even that is going to be replaced within a year maybe to for ( i think it's called ) hsda or something like that, that has a speed of 1,8Mbps.

High
Speed
Downlink
Packet
Access

HyperZboy
Sep 13, 2007, 01:47 PM
Actually "Mothership" is the word.

At least that's what today's Baltimore Sun speculates, that the announcement will at least include Led Zeppelin's entire catalog (including the new compilation "Mothership") being added to iTunes along with the announcement of a Led Zeppelin tour.

yetanotherdave
Sep 13, 2007, 02:21 PM
18th? perfect, gives us all 10 days to cancel our iPod touch orders and start phoning our phone providers to cancel/arrange a handset upgrade

*please please please vodafone, if only because I still have about a year left with them*
Or I might just cancel the touch and get the iphone and unlock it.

MiLK©
Sep 13, 2007, 02:45 PM
So is this just an announcement for the launch date? Not the actual launch??

The fanboy in me will ultimately stump up the £300 if it came out at that price.

Although I'm no fanboy, my love of gadgets mean I will also ultimately stump up whatever they charge for the damn thing. I will have £400 set aside so it should be fine ;).

maehara
Sep 13, 2007, 02:54 PM
I think I am right in that the Euro *is* legal tender in England though and it should be encouraged at the very least. It's the insistence on using the old forms that stops their adoption.
No, it isn't. There are some chain stores that will accept euros (at a very unfavourable exchange rate - you're far better off changing them at a bank), but that's as far as it goes.

If/when the UK joins the Eurozone, there'll probably be a short period (weeks or a month) where both pounds and euro are acceptable - that's the way most countries handled the switch a few years back - but until then, the only legal tender in the UK is the pound.

*GG*
Sep 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
I think I am right in that the Euro *is* legal tender in England though and it should be encouraged at the very least. It's the insistence on using the old forms that stops their adoption.

You are very wrong. The Euro is not legal tender in England, nor in any of the three other countries that make up the UK: NI, Scotland and Wales.

The iPhone in these countries will have to be priced in pounds sterling.

I do hope it isn't 02 as coverage is very poor in Scotland.

Unspeaked
Sep 13, 2007, 02:56 PM

Steve Jobs will be caught using a Zune filled with Dreamworks animated movies while eating plate-loads of red meat before that will happen...

Unspeaked
Sep 13, 2007, 03:01 PM
If/when the UK joins the Eurozone, there'll probably be a short period (weeks or a month) where both pounds and euro are acceptable - that's the way most countries handled the switch a few years back - but until then, the only legal tender in the UK is the pound.

And until then, the UK will continue to get screwed with the exchange rate on all Apple products and services (iTunes Music Store, etc)...

swagi
Sep 13, 2007, 03:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es65)

Now if they could also announce an update with 3G, MMS support and Flash. That would be freaking awesome.

MysterMac
Sep 13, 2007, 03:33 PM
Ironically, England will never be as great again as it used to be until it gives up all this "Empire" nonsense IMO.

Dude, if I were you, I'd stop putting my foot in my mouth.

No "Foot-in-mouth" in England jokes please !

Eric Lewis
Sep 13, 2007, 03:42 PM
for sure

Nicolasdec
Sep 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
I just got a new n95 from o2. do you think they will allow me to get an iphone when it comes out?

Eric Lewis
Sep 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
omg

steve will annouce

iPhone for rogers

and

itunes shows/movies for canadians!

Manic Mouse
Sep 13, 2007, 04:31 PM

Just my guess !

That would be PERFECT!

al3000
Sep 13, 2007, 04:43 PM
This sounds like good news, I better start saving (like i havent already.. :D)

alFR
Sep 13, 2007, 04:45 PM
Now, a beetles announcement would also be a great event.

Here you go:

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/files/images/soldier-beetle-4_0.jpg

applemax
Sep 13, 2007, 04:45 PM
Does anyone else think it is pointless to own an iPhone and then get an iPod touch as they both do exactly the same thing?

MiLK©
Sep 13, 2007, 04:49 PM

England in particular *is* looking a bit silly nowadays with their refusal to seriously engage the European union. Most outside observers seem to think so in my understanding anyway.

There's really no downside to joining the EU over and above parochial fears, and a longing for the now extinct British Empire, and when you are not actually *in* England it's crystal clear that this is the case. So apologies to anyone offended but a lot of people like me just shake their heads and wonder why they don't just get with the program sort of speak.

Ironically, England will never be as great again as it used to be until it gives up all this "Empire" nonsense IMO.

[OFF TOPIC] Ireland part of the UK? Euro legal tender? You clearly don't even know basic facts about the UK, let alone our political and economical status.

"There's really no downside to joining the EU over and above parochial fears, and a longing for the now extinct British Empire"

This is just absolute rubbish. There are many reasons why we have yet to join the Euro, primarily economical, rather than your completely unfounded and quite frankly ludicrous claims that we are still "longing for an empire". Did you take a moment to consider the differing nature of the UK housing market? Or the wide range of other economical issues..? I thought not. :rolleyes:

The 'one size fits all' policy of the Euro simply does not fit the UK at the moment. Your claims that the UK fails to seriously engage in the EU is again simply unfounded and ignorant. Just because it has chose not to be a part of the Euro so far, does not exclude EU involvement. I'm afraid you did offend someone, so could you kindly keep your somewhat naive thoughts to yourself. Thank you. [/OFFTOPIC]
----------------------------------------------------------------

So anyway, whats the consensus, 18th for the announcement of release date, or possible release date itself??

This is really good news, I was starting to consider buying one off eBay, but i'll definitely hold out a bit longer now.

gusapple
Sep 13, 2007, 05:00 PM

Touche.... I forgot that! But who knows? Steve is always saying things and then announcing them. Such as the iTunes wifi store, he said that it wasn't coming out because the speeds would be "too slow" which was true.... With the EDGE. He could be saying that, lets say, they won't announce ALL of the Beatles until early 2008, but they could announce let's say, the Blue, Red, or even White collections.

pauld
Sep 13, 2007, 05:00 PM
You are very wrong. The Euro is not legal tender in England, nor in any of the three other countries that make up the UK: NI, Scotland and Wales.

as a footnote to this, while it may not be 'legal tender', Euro is widely accepted in Southern parts of Northern Ireland

afd
Sep 13, 2007, 05:14 PM
I have been saving for an iPhone since they were first announced, and will probably get one as soon as they are released in the UK.I can't help being a wee bit disappointed with apple though. They seem to always leave us wanting more. I thought I could get replace 3 gadgets (iPod Mini, SE K800i and Palm TX) with one uber-gadget. The only one I think I could truley do away with however is the iPod Mini, and even that I'll probably keep in the car attached to the stereo.
The TX can display eBooks, I can take notes at meetings and sync with Word. It can run TomTom.
The K800i has a 3.2 megapixel, auto-focus camera with flash, that also does (rubbishy) video. It can send MMS. It has 3G. I can use it as a 3G modem for my powerbook or when I use my Dad's (who is too stingey to pay for broadband and still has dial-up) iMac. All this for an extra £12.50 on my T-Mobile contract.
All the above won't stop me from buying an iPhone it'll just make me keep thinking - "if only Apple had done this..."
I get the feeling that whenever sales are falling another feature will be enabled or an upgraded phone will be announced. Maybe MMS, iWork syncing, or even RouteBuddy or easy installing of third party apps.

My only real hardware complaint of the iPhone is the lack of 3G everything else could be remedied with a software update, I just hope apple release some updates soon.

Having moaned and wittered on for so long I still can't wait to get one!!

weckart
Sep 13, 2007, 05:20 PM
as a footnote to this, while it may not be 'legal tender', Euro is widely accepted in Southern parts of Northern Ireland

You can also pay for your McDonalds saturated fat dose in London in US$ in many of the central branches at the height of the tourist season. Doesn't mean diddly.

iEdd
Sep 13, 2007, 05:28 PM
Does anyone else think it is pointless to own an iPhone and then get an iPod touch as they both do exactly the same thing?

Pretty much. I won't buy another iPod, because I have a phone, so I'd rather have them both in one. The problem is I need to carry a phone and a wallet, so there is no room for an iPod as well.
iPhone for general music, iPod classic for large libraries. :)

ecks618
Sep 13, 2007, 06:01 PM
12" MBP????

Please.....