Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashokc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hey guys is there any software available for the mac that will allow me to do this or even a player that processes it on the fly?

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Hey guys is there any software available for the mac that will allow me to do this or even a player that processes it on the fly?

With the pixelation that I see in all divx and xvid encoding, I don't think you'll ever get HD quality, since it's really not even at DVD quality to begin with.

Sorry,

Brian

Millwood

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
NY/NY
No way you're going to get HD resolution out of divx or xvid video. Like trying to squeeze $100 bill out of a ten.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Visual Hub will transcode the file for you, but you won't get HD quality for sure. Your output device, tv or monitor, should have scaling built in anyway. But the sad truth is the pixels you got is what you got, anything done after that is just blowing up the same amount of pixels. Granted you can process some things pretty good but they'll never look as good as native resolution.

ashokc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
well is there anyway of improving the quality as it is. I have just moved from crt to the imac screen so the pixelation shows up a lot more

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
well is there anyway of improving the quality as it is. I have just moved from crt to the imac screen so the pixelation shows up a lot more

Like photography, you can not create detail where there is none.

Originally the divx was made from, say, a nice fat HD file.

Creating the divx tossed out about 50-90% of the actual information contained within that HD movie, and yet it still looks pretty good. Not HD, but good.

If you wanted to do the reverse now, with only the divx, youd be trying to recreate something with only 10-50% of the information. Its impossible.

You can not increase quality on compressed files, I am sure there are huge expensive filters that take tons of CPU power, that could theoretically fix the missing info, but I doubt its available or that good. though i think they have one for images...

I have just moved from crt to the imac screen so the pixelation shows up a lot more

the pixelation you are seeing is not because you went fron CRT to LCD, it is because the resolution is different and you are most likely finding more screen real estate with your iMac because it is physically larger and has more pixels. In other words, its blowing it up more than before.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
It also has more to do with the color response of an LCD Mac vs. the CRT on a PC. Windows squashes blacks much more than OS X does, so you see a lot more of the dark gray colors rather than black, where DivX/XviD are weakest at compressing effectively. Dark gradients tend to suffer a lot of macroblocking, and those are revealed more readily on OS X due to the lack of squashed black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.