PDA

View Full Version : Ringtonator and 'Proper' Ringtone Files

MacRumors
Sep 13, 2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Ringtonator (http://www.iphonexe.com/blog/?p=11) provides a easy to use application which "converts" an AAC file into a Ringtone from iTunes' perspective.

The application modifies metatags based on a followup discovery (http://weblog.xanga.com/gryphondwb/615474010/iphone-ringtones---what-did-itunes-741-really-do.html#) by Cleverboy about what exactly distinguishes a Ringtone from a Song files in iTunes.

In essence, Apple introduced an additional tag-type that identifies a Ringtone. These tags can be modified by Atomic Parsley (http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/) manually and should provide a relatively future-proof method to convert songs into Ringtones that iTunes recognizes and treats correctly.
It appears, for now, that all Apple did last Friday was require the "stik" atom, before allowing a file to be "recognized" in iTunes as something it is allowed to put onto the iPhone. They really didn't do much else. The reason the file gives the error it does, is simply because it does not have the correct metadata assigned to it. All the hoo-hah over iTunes updates etc, appear to be unjustified. I feel a little silly. I even tried this on Saturday morning, but I didn't think to try stik values 12-15 on 4 separate files as I should have.

Ringtonator is a Mac application, but Atomic Parsley is available for both Mac and Windows.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/13/ringtonator-and-proper-ringtone-files/)

chr1s60
Sep 13, 2007, 01:22 PM
I think Apple is going to have a very long battle trying to keep people from making their own ringtones for free. In the end, I think free ringtone programs will win.

shane1598
Sep 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
apple should just give up.

JMax1
Sep 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
apple should just give up.

I think they essentially already gave up by charging $1.98 to get the ringtone (and song). They must have figured that some people wouldn't know how to make it for free and are trying to at least get a little revenue from those people

daveporter
Sep 13, 2007, 01:57 PM
I gave this a try.

My new ringtone does show up in the ringtone list in both iTunes and on my iPhone ringtone list in iTunes, however, it does not sync to my iPhone. Before anyone asks, I did select the new ringtone in the iPhone sync tab.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Dave

arn
Sep 13, 2007, 02:32 PM
MakeiPhoneRingtone has been updated to 1.1

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Article/MakeiPhoneRingtone-2007-09-13-15-00.html

using this same technique.

arn

kainjow
Sep 13, 2007, 02:37 PM
I'm trying this out on Winduhs and AtomicParsley doesn't seem to be working correctly... I'll have to play with it more later.

germ war
Sep 13, 2007, 03:04 PM
Has anyone actually received a call using their new ringtone? I downloaded MakeiPhoneRingtone yesterday, and it transferred the files fine and they played on my phone, but during an actual call or alarm setting, my phone would only play the Marimba tone.

If this fixes that, then I'm excited.

atari1356
Sep 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
Has anyone actually received a call using their new ringtone? I downloaded MakeiPhoneRingtone yesterday, and it transferred the files fine and they played on my phone, but during an actual call or alarm setting, my phone would only play the Marimba tone.

If this fixes that, then I'm excited.

I've received calls using ring tones I made with Audacity/MakeiPhoneRingtone yesterday.

dr_lha
Sep 13, 2007, 03:58 PM
I think they essentially already gave up by charging $1.98 to get the ringtone (and song). They must have figured that some people wouldn't know how to make it for free and are trying to at least get a little revenue from those people
The majority of people won't be bothered with hacks and will just buy their ring tones. You're falling into the trap of believing that the majority of iPhone users are like you, when in reality the majority will be less bothered about paying 99 cents than finding a work around.

You realise that other providers charge $3 for a ringtone right? Compared to that Apple's ringtones are a good deal. Not that I would ever buy one myself, but then again, I don't like the idea of my phone playing badly distorted music when it rings.

donlphi
Sep 13, 2007, 04:30 PM
I gave this a try.

My new ringtone does show up in the ringtone list in both iTunes and on my iPhone ringtone list in iTunes, however, it does not sync to my iPhone. Before anyone asks, I did select the new ringtone in the iPhone sync tab.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Dave

Assuming you didn't use either of the Ringtone Makers listed in the post, it sounds like you added the Meta data (the stik), retagged it with .m4r so iTunes would recorgnize it.

Now you have to go into your iTUNES Library/Ringtones folder and rename it again to .m4a, then it should sync properly.

"Make an iPhone Ringtone" does this automatically (at least it did for me on one of my computers).

ZBoater
Sep 13, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm trying this out on Winduhs and AtomicParsley doesn't seem to be working correctly... I'll have to play with it more later.

I dont think these apps support Windows.

kainjow
Sep 13, 2007, 05:42 PM
I dont think these apps support Windows.

No you misunderstood. These ringtone apps use a program called AtomicParsley which lets you edit the metadata within MP4 files. It works on Macs and Windows. I am trying to get AtomicParsley to work on Windows and am not having luck.

Brendon Bauer
Sep 13, 2007, 05:42 PM
I've created a nice workflow that allows you to make ringtones with hardly any effort at all. Be sure to read the instructions to set it up. After that, the only thing you have to do is customize your ringtone in GarageBand.

It's very easy to use! Select a song in iTunes, and under the script menu choose "Convert to Ringtone". From there you're taken to GarageBand to choose what part of the song. Another scripts turns it into a ringtone compatible with the iPhone and sends it straight to iTunes. You can use any song in your iTunes library that is not protected under DRM. As long as GarageBand can import it, it will work.

It uses iTunes, AppleScript, Automator and GarageBand as well as the MakeiPhoneRingtone application (v1.1).

Let me know what you think!

RingtoneMaker
Here's the link: http://www.summitnorthwest.org/RingtoneMaker/

I'm fairly new to this, so I just ask that you make sure to give me credit if you do anything with it. However, it's pretty basic, and I'm sure many of you could have done a better job :).

CWallace
Sep 13, 2007, 07:09 PM
So far, I have only gotten iToner to successfully send ringtones over via my Mac. And yes, they do play when the contact calls.

I tried MakeiPhoneRingtone and it created the ringtones in the iTunes folder and tab, but they will not sync over in 7.4.2.

I have yet to try iRing2 and Ringtonator.

Brendon Bauer
Sep 13, 2007, 07:54 PM
In iTunes 7.4.2? I wasn't aware there was a more current version than 7.4.1... Have you tried my scripts? If not, please try it and see if it works for you. If it doesn't work for syncing to your iPhone, please let me know.

Thanks!
Brendon

waremaster
Sep 13, 2007, 08:51 PM
No you misunderstood. These ringtone apps use a program called AtomicParsley which lets you edit the metadata within MP4 files. It works on Macs and Windows. I am trying to get AtomicParsley to work on Windows and am not having luck.

I have successfully gotten the ringtones to work in iTunes 7.4.1 Windows version using AtomicParsley-win32-0.9.0. at the command prompt. I first dragged the mp3 file into iTunes then right clicked and chose convert to AAC then I moved the file too the Ringtones folder and changed the extension to .m4r then I double clicked it and it added to the ringtones list. Then I made a copy of the file and changed it’s extension too .m4a again at that point I ran AtomicParsley against the file (example) lets say the file was called “CTU24.m4a” I then ran the command AtomicParsley CTU24.m4a --stik value=14 that outputted a file with a name of ctu24-temp01253.m4a or something similar I then took the output file and put that in the ringtones folder and renamed it CTU24.m4a so now I have a CTU24.m4a and a CTU24.m4r and when I sync all is perfect. If I take out the m4r it wont appear in my ringtone list so I left both files and it works great.

germ war
Sep 14, 2007, 08:59 AM
I've received calls using ring tones I made with Audacity/MakeiPhoneRingtone yesterday.

I wanted to see if it was something wrong with my phone, so I downloaded a ringtone off iTunes, and it did the same thing - Marimba was the tone that rang. Soooo...I did a system restore, and voila! Ringtones work perfectly.

Excited!

nsayer
Sep 17, 2007, 05:24 PM
Looks like they closed this loophole in 7.4.2.

TurboSC
Sep 17, 2007, 07:49 PM
Instead of always going through iTunes, people should focus on tapping into the iPhone and planting files... though that may result in breakage upon syncing... bah just give us free ringtones already Apple.