PDA

View Full Version : iPod and My Car

mactogo
Sep 13, 2007, 01:30 PM
Hello everyone,

What would be a good and unexpensive way to listen to my ipod in my new car.Before this new car i had a different car and i listened to my ipod using iPod Cassette Adapter but now i got a different car and this car has cd player only. i use fm transmitter but its not really good quality. thanks a lot

mad jew
Sep 13, 2007, 06:56 PM
What sort of car do you have? A lot of modern cars come with audio setups that include an auxiliary audio port.

Scott982
Sep 13, 2007, 07:54 PM
Depending on your vehicle you can get cables to connect your iPod to the factory radio from a car audio shop. That way you control the iPod from the deck itself. Mine is connected through the cd changer plug on the back of my radio.

mactogo
Sep 14, 2007, 08:43 AM
i have nissan xterra. i went to circuit city and they told me something like, you need to buy this for $50 and cables for $30 and $50 installation. And no my radio doesnt have that plug on the front of the radio for ipod connector. I want something i can do myself and good. thanks

saga
Sep 14, 2007, 08:56 AM
i have nissan xterra. i went to circuit city and they told me something like, you need to buy this for $50 and cables for $30 and $50 installation. And no my radio doesnt have that plug on the front of the radio for ipod connector. I want something i can do myself and good. thanks

I have a nissan xterra 05' and I have the same problem. Unless you have the 6cd changer rockford fosgate radio, there are no connections for the ipod. I believe you have to get some sort of an adapter, but the information is scarce on this. I too would like some suggestions.

dubs
Sep 14, 2007, 09:32 AM
This is what I use

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iCarPlay-Wireless-Transmitter-Charger/dp/B00019068G

It works pretty well, but you still have to find a place to store your ipod, and you can't control your ipod through the car stereo, only directly through the ipod.

I think they have a bunch of radio ipod transmitter dealies in the apple store, not sure though.

hope that helps

saga
Sep 14, 2007, 12:51 PM
I do use a Kensington FM transmitter, that for the most part, works well. I would really love to have the ipod fed directly into the stereo for the best possible sound. Unfortunately, I have the stock Xterra stereo, and I don't think I have many options.

mactogo
Sep 14, 2007, 02:46 PM
yeah but fm transmitters dont work that well, even cassette worked better. I have wireless fm transmitter now and its pain to use it.

taylorwilsdon
Sep 14, 2007, 02:47 PM
Harmon Kardon Drive+Play

It can be found for around $50 and its amazing.

Make sure you wire it directly into your antenna for great sound quality.

mDiGug
Sep 14, 2007, 02:57 PM
This is what I use

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iCarPlay-Wireless-Transmitter-Charger/dp/B00019068G

It works pretty well, but you still have to find a place to store your ipod, and you can't control your ipod through the car stereo, only directly through the ipod.

I think they have a bunch of radio ipod transmitter dealies in the apple store, not sure though.

hope that helps

i have kinda the same thing as that, except mines a griffin itrip, i was wonderin, since it charges as it plays the ipod, does that kill the battery life?

dubs
Sep 14, 2007, 05:10 PM
i have kinda the same thing as that, except mines a griffin itrip, i was wonderin, since it charges as it plays the ipod, does that kill the battery life?

hmmm.. i've used it with 3 different ipods and haven't noticed the battery life being any less than usual.

bamisey
Sep 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering what cars (maybe minivans) support the new component video dock connector. It would be great to watch movies in a car just like music is now. Aunt's thinking of getting a new minivan. Her old one has a DVD player for the kids, but there's a limit to the number of DVD's you can possibly carry. Having an iPod that delivers not just music, but also video would be great for her. Does anyone know any manufacturer that supports this new feature of the iPod classic?

I'm so sure that's one of the reasons Jobs met with the CEO of VW. This would be great for Apple. A lot of people complain about the quality of the video from iTunes (that's cos we all have massive screen TV's at home). But with the small screens in cars, the video quality will be just perfect.

SactoGuy18
Sep 15, 2007, 10:46 AM
What sort of car do you have? A lot of modern cars come with audio setups that include an auxiliary audio port.

Most modern car stereos now come with 1/8" (3.5 mm) auxiliary input ports, which makes them compatible with most MP3 players out there. Now, if I can just find a cable that has the 3.5 mm jack on one end and the iPod data connector on the other end so I get true line-level output from my new 3G iPod nano....