PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Processor to a G5?

bsichran
Aug 18, 2003, 01:42 PM
Is it possible to add an additional processor, say a G4, to a G5 and have a dual processor that way? For example, the way Pro Tools does most of its work on the PCI processor?

Just wondering.

mactastic
Aug 18, 2003, 01:58 PM
I think it's gonna be a while before anyone really knows anything about how upgradeable the new G5s will be. I know there was at least some concern about the cooling system being chip-controlled and how this would affect upgrades. Guess we have to wait and see once some of those G5 boxes start to arrive at peoples homes and businesses. It won't be long now!

Bear
Aug 18, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by bsichran
Is it possible to add an additional processor, say a G4, to a G5 and have a dual processor that way? For example, the way Pro Tools does most of its work on the PCI processor?

Just wondering.
There is enough architectural differences between the G4 and G5 that they could not work together in a multiprocessor system.

If you have need of a muliprocessor system, buy one. Don't try and kludge one together.

patrick0brien
Aug 18, 2003, 03:30 PM
-bsichran

It'd take a new logic board and a completely different design to do what you ask.

Bear is correct - just buy one.

You can, however, 'Pooch' a G5 tower and a G4 together for parallel processing, but that much slow your G5 to the G4. You don't want that.

Sun Baked
Aug 18, 2003, 04:16 PM
At one of the Motorola developer conferences a third-party was showing off a multi-cpu system that can be upgraded by adding CPUs via PCI card.

The PCI slots were upgraded with Rapid IO ports, so the extra CPUs had direct access to the main processor fabric switch.

But without the PCI slots being upgraded with a RIO or HT port, the PCI slot bandwidth is way too slow for true SMP using this method.

You can probably offload tasks to independent computers (which can be on a PCI slot), but then you might as well just set up a clustering system.

NavyIntel007
Aug 18, 2003, 04:32 PM
I believe the processors are on independent daughter cards. If that's the case, then the 1.6 and 1.8 G5's probably won't have pinouts for the second processor on the motherboard. Unless some company develops two processors on one daughter board, this probably isn't going to happen.